Freddie Mercury Hologram Confirmed

Brian May has confirmed that a hologram of the late Queen singer will take to the stage once again. But should his legacy be left in peace?

Freddie Mercury Hologram Confirmed
0
Queen guitarist Brian May has confirmed that Freddie Mercury will officially return to the stage as a hologram. It will be part of a special 10th anniversary performance of their popular London theater show, "We Will Rock You", and May swears that people will come away feeling like they really saw the star. According to May, the idea is not in response to the popular Tupac hologram at Coachella this year. "It's a little unfortunate they did that thing with Tupac as we've been trying to make Freddie appear on the stage for quite a while," he said. However, the new hologram won't employ the same technique of projecting a computer-generated image onto special fabric. "That [technique] is something we've looked at ourselves but I think probably for a show that runs eight shows a week it's not really quite practical," he said. The news comes only weeks after Queen drummer Roger Taylor said the band would never perform alongside a hologram of their late singer. "I don't want to sit up here with a hologram of my dear friend," Taylor said at the time. "Were somebody to use a hologram of Freddie, I don't think I would have an objection. But I don't want to. It just didn't sit too well with me." Meanwhile, Queen have re-scheduled a UK performance with singer Adam Lambert after their headline slot at Sonisphere was cancelled. "Adam has an extraordinary voice - no two ways about it," said May. "So we'll be exploring new ways to do things. So it will be exciting!" How do you feel about a Freddie Mercury hologram taking to the stage again? Would you pay to see it, or should his legacy be left in peace? Share your view in the comments.

204 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Minivirus2
    Gotta love how in the "More Queen news:" section following thsisstory, the next article is titled "Queen To Never Perform With Freddie Mercury Hologram".
    ryaniomitch
    the hologram isn't playing with queen! read the article! the hologram will be used for the queen musical we will rock you!
    Slash-96
    Starting to think Brian May is losing it with old age. Between this and the Dappy bullshit...
    HARTATTACK69
    CommanderMeaty wrote: Not a fan of My Chemical Romance, but I think the singer would do a great fit replacing him.
    I am a fan of My Chemical Romance and I think thats a horrible choice
    Basti95
    Pagan_Poetry wrote: As Freddie Mercury once asked: "Who wants to live forever?"
    Then again, Roger Daltrey did sing "Hope I die before I get Old"....
    p_a_morgan
    Poor Roger Taylor. He's such a drummer. What I mean by that is...He can be against something, but not oppose. In his words... "..I don't think I would have an objection. But I don't want to. It just didn't sit too well with me." Drummer.
    JFRules
    People need to read. lol This is for a musical. I would probably go see it.
    WaveCaster97
    There should be a 15 minute limit before you're allowed to comment to ensure you read the entire article first. Then maybe a 5 question quiz too. Regardless of the fact that it isn't with the band at all, I still can't possibly understand why anyone is whiney over this. It's like those idiots who flipped out that you're able to play as certain people in Guitar Hero. Grow up. This isn't the end of the world. There is no disrespect involved in any way whatsoever. It's like watching a ****ing tribute video in memory of him but in 3D. It's like you're all Amish and the thought of technology frightens you. The sky isn't falling. Relax.
    Iommianity
    doive wrote: Most of you have probably never seen the show. It's about how Rock'n'Roll is dead and how we need to bring it back. A hologram fits perfectly in that setting. Hell - it'd fit perfectly even he was still alive! The average UG user age is less than 20. Freddie died over 20 years ago - most of you had no opportunity in life to see him perform ever. This is an opportunity! You may as well refuse to listen to recording of Hendrix playing woodstock because he's dead...?
    The real problem is that, in your mind, there is no difference between watching a taped performance of a live guitarist in his prime, and a band who is far outside of relevance literally beaming their dead lead singer onto the stage to make money. Look, I missed Mozart. The guy wasn't decent enough to live another 200 or so years. That's life. People like you are the reason bands go on 20 years past their prime with only one or two original members. If you want to see a cover band and a spectacle, more power to you. But don't make this about the music, or about the legacy of Freddie, or how you didn't get a chance to see them. The music still exists, live recordings still exist, and if that's not musically fulfilling enough, just admit you're excited about seeing a holographic projection of a famous person.
    Nitnatsnok
    Pagan_Poetry wrote: As Freddie Mercury once asked: "Who wants to live forever?"
    That was written by May...
    Castiel_91
    I don't have the slightest idea why people are so butt hurt over this. It would probably be a really cool thing to see, especially for those fans who never got to see Freddy perform live with Queen due to age or what-have-you. As for Adam, I can understand if you don't like his music, but there aren't many people on the planet who have pipes like him.
    raoooos
    Minivirus2 wrote: Gotta love how in the "More Queen news:" section following thsisstory, the next article is titled "Queen To Never Perform With Freddie Mercury Hologram".
    Yeah, and they're not going to! It's for the We Will Rock You musical, not a Queen tour.
    BigSpence
    I'm sure they'll change their minds again next week. And when they do, UG will be all over it.
    LeakyFlask
    Somehow I feel it must be hard to rest in peace if you're playing eight shows a week...
    dennis.1960
    Didn't John Lennon once say "Jesus didn't come back and go up on the cross again for all the dummies that missed it the first time" or something? If you want to see Freddie again, watch some video. Then again, after whoring themselves out to American Idol, I guess this isn't surprising unfortunately...
    OneHappyCamper
    News next week: 'Adler would love to perform next to Axl hologram, says "Hologram has more heart anyway"'
    sudsypatriarch
    I wasnt really surprised by this to be honest. Ever since Brian May did that track with Snappy or whatever his name is, Im not surprised that hell take any chance he can to get more money. But all in all, it is their decision to make...
    foopeppers
    Slash-96 wrote: Starting to think Brian May is losing it with old age. Between this and the Dappy bullshit...
    s'what I thought too
    doive
    Most of you have probably never seen the show. It's about how Rock'n'Roll is dead and how we need to bring it back. A hologram fits perfectly in that setting. Hell - it'd fit perfectly even he was still alive! The average UG user age is
    OMMad
    UG get your shit together, this is pissing me off. The way this article was written intentionally confuses the reader into thinking that May's statement regarding the hologram goes against what Taylor's statement against performing with a hologram. To clarify: - Taylor objects to PERFORMING with a hologram. - This hologram will be utilized in an anniversary show of a MUSICAL (Queen won't be performing) There is no disagreement between Taylor and May, you guys are fishing for trolls.
    Iommianity
    Maestro1600 wrote: Iommianity wrote: doive wrote: Most of you have probably never seen the show. It's about how Rock'n'Roll is dead and how we need to bring it back. A hologram fits perfectly in that setting. Hell - it'd fit perfectly even he was still alive! The average UG user age is less than 20. Freddie died over 20 years ago - most of you had no opportunity in life to see him perform ever. This is an opportunity! You may as well refuse to listen to recording of Hendrix playing woodstock because he's dead...? The real problem is that, in your mind, there is no difference between watching a taped performance of a live guitarist in his prime, and a band who is far outside of relevance literally beaming their dead lead singer onto the stage to make money. Look, I missed Mozart. The guy wasn't decent enough to live another 200 or so years. That's life. People like you are the reason bands go on 20 years past their prime with only one or two original members. If you want to see a cover band and a spectacle, more power to you. But don't make this about the music, or about the legacy of Freddie, or how you didn't get a chance to see them. The music still exists, live recordings still exist, and if that's not musically fulfilling enough, just admit you're excited about seeing a holographic projection of a famous person. Well then, why go see any music live? There are live recordings available of pretty much any major artist, so by extension of your argument, the only reason you would go to a gig is because you're excited to see a famous person on stage. What's the difference between being excited about seeing a hologram of a famous person and being excited about seeing a famous person?
    Honestly, if I have to explain to you what the appeal of live music being performed by human beings is, I'm not sure we would ever see eye to eye. If concepts like human interaction, spontaneity, improvisation, or real (non-programmed) crowd interaction don't enter the equation for you, I don't think I'm smart enough to explain it.
    napalm890
    Can someone explain the difference to me between watching a hologram of someone sing and watching a recording of someone singing? I don't think people understand... You're paying to listen to a CD live.
    doive
    Most of you have probably never seen the show. It's about how Rock'n'Roll is dead and how we need to bring it back. A hologram fits perfectly in that setting. Hell - it'd fit perfectly even he was still alive! The average UG user age is less than 20. Freddie died over 20 years ago - most of you had no opportunity in life to see him perform ever. This is an opportunity! You may as well refuse to listen to recording of Hendrix playing woodstock because he's dead...?
    dr_shred
    Can anybody here read, or are you all idiots? I'm thinking it's both, the hologram (roger said it would be more of an optical illusion) isn't playing with Queen. The hologram is instead being used in the MUSICAL PRODUCTION We Will Rock You, if you even know what this show is about you will understand that this could be a really cool feature to celebrate the anniversary of the show.
    DoodlySquat
    Soon: Courtney Love to get hologram so she can say twice as much bull in the same amount of time. Worst of both worlds UG article.
    howrylak1
    Spend your hard earned money seeing bands that are still creating new and relvant music. Queen had their chance in the spot light. Either keep touring with adam lambert or go away.
    RequiemofDemons
    considering how much it costs and the technical advancements needed to make this happen...and the fact they think freddie is deserving to have the time, money, and resources used for this should be taken as an honor not disrespecting....I'm looking at these holograms as the ultimate tribute, a chance for not only the memory to live on, but for those who never got the chance to see him live to have memories of their own, to see something that they might never get the chance to see again. So I say go for it, i'd pay to see it, even if they make money if some of that money goes to the friends, family, and the band that freddie put his life into, then i dont think its disrespectful. if you had a chance to talk to any of these stars in the after life and ask them if their band had a chance to carry on in their memory using a hologram, I'm almost willing to bet that they would say go for it without hesitation, I know if i died before my time and my band had to quit id feel terrible, just the chance for them to get back on stage would make me smile....
    -xCaMRocKx-
    JPScralatchtica wrote: Yeah, WTF?!?! That totally contradicts what Taylor said.
    No it doesn't. No where in this article does it say that Queen will perform with a hologram.
    jay3213
    So many people complaining... YOU PEOPLE never met Freddy, You were never close to him... If there is one person who should be able to make that call, It should be Brian May... Freddies best friend Stop thinking its disrespectful.. You people like the music but you don't know the damn person.
    Rands2113
    This is just an easy way to say " we are going to increase prices dramatically" and " thanks for being fans of our band, now we are raping your wallets with the hologram appearance of a dead guy"
    silent caution
    ok...what now? a7x is going to do this for their drummer and slipknot for their bassist....when is it going to end?....they should put a cobain hologram in courtny lovs house without telling her, have him sit in the couch when she walks in