Geezer Butler Slams Sarah Palin

The latest addition to the list of legendary rockers enraged with Republican politicians is none other than Geezer Butler.

0
The latest addition to the list of legendary rockers enraged with Republican politicians is none other than Geezer Butler, the legendary bassist of Black Sabbath/Heaven And Hell. In a recent tour update he says: "Hello readers, "Thank you all who came to see the Metal Masters tour. It was a pleasure touring with such great bands and friends - Judas Priest, Motorhead, and Testament, and their respective crews. It was great meeting everyone who came to the meet and greets after the shows. "Now back to reality. As you may know from my web-site and lyrics, I am pro all life, not just unborn fetuses. I don't understand people who say they are pro-life, but then support unnecessary wars and the disgusting slaughter of animals for sport. I respect people's freedom of religion, but i absolutely abhor hypocrites. Which brings me to this horrific video of cowardly bastards in airplanes, shooting wolves for so called "sport", and the hypocritical politician [she's supposed to be pro-life, remember], who allows this cowardly act to take place in her state. I know lots of people who hunt, and I enjoy shooting at my local gun range, but I don't know, nor would i want to know, anyone who gets pleasure from this disgraceful behaviour. God/Nature has created a beautiful earth, and populated it with beautiful creatures, and i believe that all life is miraculous. Why do politicians [royals included] enjoy killing so much, and treating those miracles with such contempt? "Love and peace, Geezer." Thanks for the report to Metalunderground.com.

122 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Useful_Idiot16
    shattamakar wrote: completely agree with what he said..a little over emphatic nevertheless.....,.., ..suck it republi****s.,.obama all the way
    Wow this kid looks so smart, I'm looking up to this guy for my political views from now on I can tell you that.
    merkalos666
    the wolf population keeps the deer population under control. oh, and i hate the sound of sarah palin's voice!
    Melonhead2
    .
    Wolf populations did just fine before we showed up with guns.
    word I'd love to have an intelligent conversation with anyone who's voting for McCain. wait a minute...ain't gonna happen
    BlackMagic17
    cool. i'm a resident of alaska, and quite honestly, no one really likes hunting from airplanes. right now there's a measure proposal to make hunting like that illegal. It is extremely hard to obtain a permit to hunt from an airplane right now, and we are pretty close to ending it altogether. HOWEVER killing wolves in general to balance the population is something that is a NECESSITY in alaska. there are thousands of people that feed their families by subsistence hunting animals like moose and deer. The natural balance of predator vs prey is something that always rises and falls. Sometimes, wolves are a thriving population, other times, the prey of wolves are the thriving population. We enjoy it when there is plenty of game in alaska. In fact, some of us DEPEND on it. If the populations of game animals fall low, we need to solve it NOW, not wait for nature to sort it out. We do this by eliminating the predator, because that is the only way. Wolves may lose their lives, but we would rather that those of us who choose to live a simple life in the wilderness can do so, because one of the beauties of alaska is that it's the last frontier. There are almost no places in the rest of the united states that a person can live in seclusion, surrounded by nature. Killing wolves is just another way to ensure that everyone can live their life the way they want it, like is promised to us in our country's constitution. The state is in charge of taking care of PEOPLE first. Animals come after this. Geezer Butler is an amazing musician. His accomplishments cannot be disputed, as he was part of pioneering an awesome genre. Furthermore, he is entitled to his own opinion, as every person is. However, he should wait until he is more informed on a topic to make a statement against it. Governor Palin is be able to get the gears and wheels of the state congress moving in order to approve a measure like this. Someone did it before her, though. She has the power to veto laws against airplane hunting, but i've heard no indication that she would want to veto a law that prevents unfair and unsportsman-like hunting. Until you understand the limits of the power of a state governor, you shouldn't make a statement condemning her for not single-handedly ending a practice that has been happening for years. Furthermore, pro-life is a stance on the subject of ABORTION. It is a term that means the belief that all children should be allowed to be born into the world, and not killed before they have the chance to live life. Being pro-life has nothing to do with animal conservation. Sorry I ranted. Alaska's been taking a lot of criticism in the past week because the media doesn't agree with John McCain's choice of a running mate. They wouldn't be criticizing us if they understood any of the issues they're bringing up half as well as someone like me, a junior and high school.
    HughF
    I'm glad we're basing our arguments off of the bass player from Black Sabbath. Who gives a flying ****?
    soBLINKad
    tayloaw0 wrote: Tulkas wrote: Typical ignorant comments from the uninformed. Because they were protected for so long, wolves are over populated in Alaska, hence their killing for sport. If their population goes unchecked, deer, muse, caribou, etc. populations will decline upsetting the balance of nature. Upsetting the balance of nature? Humans interfering with nature in the first place is upsetting the balance of nature. Species have been dying for millions of years and over 90% of all the species that have ever existed are extinct. Gone--the majority before humans were even a fart on the evolutionary time scale. We just keep them alive so we can waddle around zoos with fanny packs around our fat waists and stare at miserable animals in tiny concrete squares that wish we had just let them die peacefully. And I'm sure these nature loving Alaskans are just killing wolves so that the next time one looks out in the backyard and sees a moose taking a 10 pound shit, he'll wipe a tear away from his face and think "Man, am I righteous". Bullshit, he'll shoot the friggin' thing.
    true, animals went extinct by themselves, as you said, before humans were on the earth. but now that were here, weve screwed stuff up by killing habitats of ainmals that are food for other animals, forcing them to choose different prey, etc. so we need to keep animals populations in check or else well have wolves running around in residential areas, which has actually happened quite a few times recently in alaska. and geezers retarded for comparing hunting to abortion. animals are different than fetuses. if a fetus isnt human, than wtf is it? an animal? obviously not or geezer would be having a fit about that as well
    Nathan_393
    Geezer might not be wholly right on this, but respect for talking about his beliefs in the media. That's a tough move to make sometime. Respect!
    tayloaw0
    Tulkas wrote: Typical ignorant comments from the uninformed. Because they were protected for so long, wolves are over populated in Alaska, hence their killing for sport. If their population goes unchecked, deer, muse, caribou, etc. populations will decline upsetting the balance of nature.
    Upsetting the balance of nature? Humans interfering with nature in the first place is upsetting the balance of nature. Species have been dying for millions of years and over 90% of all the species that have ever existed are extinct. Gone--the majority before humans were even a fart on the evolutionary time scale. We just keep them alive so we can waddle around zoos with fanny packs around our fat waists and stare at miserable animals in tiny concrete squares that wish we had just let them die peacefully. And I'm sure these nature loving Alaskans are just killing wolves so that the next time one looks out in the backyard and sees a moose taking a 10 pound shit, he'll wipe a tear away from his face and think "Man, am I righteous". Bullshit, he'll shoot the friggin' thing.
    gwitersnamps
    Waterboy799 wrote: if he thinks that hunting is the "slaughtering" of animals and that it's all purely for sport then the guy doesn't know a damn thing about hunting. did you know that if you allow animals such as wolves or deer to keep on breeding, they'll breed so damn much that the land won't be able to hold them all and eventually they'll all die from starvation, disease and malnutrition? Hunters take some of these excess animals out of the equation and allow for the rest to live on. if you let them all live, then more will die from malnutrition than if you hunt them for a few weeks. i'm sure most people don't know that.
    Wolf populations did just fine before we showed up with guns.
    Waterboy799
    if he thinks that hunting is the "slaughtering" of animals and that it's all purely for sport then the guy doesn't know a damn thing about hunting. did you know that if you allow animals such as wolves or deer to keep on breeding, they'll breed so damn much that the land won't be able to hold them all and eventually they'll all die from starvation, disease and malnutrition? Hunters take some of these excess animals out of the equation and allow for the rest to live on. if you let them all live, then more will die from malnutrition than if you hunt them for a few weeks. i'm sure most people don't know that.
    pootoob
    Waterboy799 wrote: if he thinks that hunting is the "slaughtering" of animals and that it's all purely for sport then the guy doesn't know a damn thing about hunting. did you know that if you allow animals such as wolves or deer to keep on breeding, they'll breed so damn much that the land won't be able to hold them all and eventually they'll all die from starvation, disease and malnutrition? Hunters take some of these excess animals out of the equation and allow for the rest to live on. if you let them all live, then more will die from malnutrition than if you hunt them for a few weeks. i'm sure most people don't know that.
    Because, as we all know, there is a huge excess of bears running around the world, so hunters are like better than all of us, cos they are keeping bear population all over the world in check... Oh wait the bear is an endangered species. But that won't stop hunters. You fail.
    cristo92
    this guy is a moron he has no idea what hes talking about pro life is about fetuses and what not who cares about hunting other politicians have done crazy stuff thats actually legitamite
    KennethJay
    guitar999111 wrote: yutyoy wrote: False!... Geezer is clueless. theres a big difference between aborting unborn babies and hunting. maybe the dumbest thing ive read since the last time i picked up a Rolling Stone magazine. stick to rockin, polatics obviously arent for you. Actually if you really are pro-life you shouldn't get to decide who lives and who dies. It seems like you're the one who should stay away from politics. Geezer has is right on.
    If you're really pro life, then you have to be a vegan.
    JoeLancaster
    Same reason I wouldn't ask Sarah Palin to write an amazing bassline stick to what you know
    guitar999111
    yutyoy wrote: False!... Geezer is clueless. theres a big difference between aborting unborn babies and hunting. maybe the dumbest thing ive read since the last time i picked up a Rolling Stone magazine. stick to rockin, polatics obviously arent for you.
    Actually if you really are pro-life you shouldn't get to decide who lives and who dies. It seems like you're the one who should stay away from politics. Geezer has is right on.
    MTVget0FFtheAIR
    I really don't care what the **** a musician has to say about politics. It seems every time they open their mouths to impart us with their glorious opinion, they simply state the same clich issues that one might hear from a burger flipper/microwave operator at McDonalds. They have their opinions and every right to speak their minds. However, when some select sentence is spoken by a man who knows relatively little about the subject and that sentence makes headlines or becomes the basis of a news article...it's pathetic. I'm not arguing with the fact that geezer is speaking his mind nor am I arguing the points he is making (though they are incorrect, uneducated, and clich). I'm upset with the way a little meaningless opinion is blown way out of proportion and actually adopted as a legitimate political stance by people who happen to be fans of Geezer Butler as a musician. Basically, I think that a musician's political views should be ignored, as they are by no means 'experts' nor educated on what they preach.
    SERIALTRENDKILL
    I love Geezer, but politics shouldn't be discussed by musicians openly. it hurts record sales and tarnishes fans perceptions of their character. Sabbath owns either way though.
    David_Bowie=GOD
    patrickdenneyto wrote: sarah palin did sell her plane i'm not exactly sure geezer was trying to bash her, because yes the title is very misleading, if he is, i think he should shut his mouth he's british!!!!!
    Many people from other countries keep up with and are concerned about the election seeing how america loves to "run the whole world" or try to at least.
    Banana King
    Ah, the presidential election. It never fails to piss me off when ignorant people think they're right and try to push their ideals on people. It's a little more acceptable here, but c'mon, let's stay on topic.
    shadowsoverhell
    i respect the hell out of geezer, and i love his music, however... this isnt your country, youve got no reason to give a damn what goes on here so long as we book you for tours. and just cuz i'm a us citizen doesnt make me a hypocrite for sayin that, i dont think anybody has any business in anybody elses business. second off, just cuz a guy may be a great musician and shit doesnt mean his opinion is extra special.
    St. Vitus
    radioplay wrote: Tulkas wrote: Besides, Uncle Ted is better player anyway! You cant compare them,they played different instruments. Ones an amazing guitarist
    ROTFLMAO!
    RGshred88
    mikalllica81 : If people don't want to die in a war don't join the military. People should stop whining. People in the military make a choice to join and sacrifice their lives. Liberals need to grow up! You're right...people choose to join the military. However people are whining because this current Iraq war is a disgusting attempt to flex our military muscles and take over the oil industry so the rich can get richer. And do not say I am unpatriotic as you conservatives throw around because it is more unpatriotic to back a president or any politician who cares more about themselves and their party than the country (which is most on both parties). If a war is actually WORTH fighting for....many more would join and far less would be complaining. So on the contrary, conservatives need to grow up.
    ShortFatBoy
    shattamakar is a frickin idiot..if he knows what pro life means he would know that Obama is not pro life at all..as for his other comment "thank satan for geezer" that was just stupid..i hate people..
    astonhemmings
    SkidRow92 wrote: Where's the celebrities bashing the democrats?...other than ted nugent which is a given
    Joe Perry of Aerosmith is a pretty die hard Republican.
    Randompzycho
    Waterboy799 wrote: if he thinks that hunting is the "slaughtering" of animals and that it's all purely for sport then the guy doesn't know a damn thing about hunting. did you know that if you allow animals such as wolves or deer to keep on breeding, they'll breed so damn much that the land won't be able to hold them all and eventually they'll all die from starvation, disease and malnutrition? Hunters take some of these excess animals out of the equation and allow for the rest to live on. if you let them all live, then more will die from malnutrition than if you hunt them for a few weeks. i'm sure most people don't know that.
    Tulkas wrote: Typical ignorant comments from the uninformed. Because they were protected for so long, wolves are over populated in Alaska, hence their killing for sport. If their population goes unchecked, deer, muse, caribou, etc. populations will decline upsetting the balance of nature.
    I hate both of you, really though, I hate anyone who uses population control as a justification for hunting. Vegetarian power.
    Randompzycho
    yutyoy wrote: False!... Geezer is clueless. theres a big difference between aborting unborn babies and hunting. maybe the dumbest thing ive read since the last time i picked up a Rolling Stone magazine. stick to rockin, polatics obviously arent for you.
    Why do you claim something is false if in all reality you just disagree with an opinion. But i agree with Geezer that "God/Nature has created a beautiful earth, and populated it with beautiful creatures, and i believe that all life is miraculous." Honestly I probably wouldn't have worded much differently.
    the1leftbehind
    well im a long time Sabbath fan and have mucho respect for Geezer. I was on the McCain/Palin ticket in my opinion, however I must admit in this aspect Geezer is right it is very hypocrytical to say you are pro life and then kill animals.
    SkidRow92
    Where's the celebrities bashing the democrats?...other than ted nugent which is a given
    Tulkas
    radioplay wrote: Tulkas wrote: Besides, Uncle Ted is better player anyway! You cant compare them,they played different instruments. Ones an amazing guitarist, while the other is a great bassist
    Do you really think Ted Nugent can't play bass? Are you serious?
    Tulkas
    tayloaw0 wrote: Tulkas wrote: Typical ignorant comments from the uninformed. Because they were protected for so long, wolves are over populated in Alaska, hence their killing for sport. If their population goes unchecked, deer, muse, caribou, etc. populations will decline upsetting the balance of nature. Upsetting the balance of nature? Humans interfering with nature in the first place is upsetting the balance of nature. Species have been dying for millions of years and over 90% of all the species that have ever existed are extinct. Gone--the majority before humans were even a fart on the evolutionary time scale. We just keep them alive so we can waddle around zoos with fanny packs around our fat waists and stare at miserable animals in tiny concrete squares that wish we had just let them die peacefully. And I'm sure these nature loving Alaskans are just killing wolves so that the next time one looks out in the backyard and sees a moose taking a 10 pound shit, he'll wipe a tear away from his face and think "Man, am I righteous". Bullshit, he'll shoot the friggin' thing.
    Again: Typical ignorant comments from the uninformed.
    ServantofBurzum
    It's kind of sad to veiw the state of our country right now in my opinion. It's sad to see inner city kids killing each other all the time. I think the war was a huge mistake, because first and foremost, Americans should come first, and I mean all races, not just rich white people. It seems like were putting so much into making Iraqi lives better when why should we? So the governmont can steal more oil, which WILL run out eventually? Sorry, kind of went off topic. Is there a politics blog on UG? If so I must find it.
    RGshred88
    ServantofBurzum : I'll give my opinion, since this is a blog about nature. Humans are parasites. What have we ever done that was NOT in the name of science, war, or simply making ourselves more comfortable? We're like dictators who commit genocide, except we could change by logging on to a website and seeing how we could make the world a little cleaner. But there is hope, because nature is taking a much bigger part in the political spectrum than it was 20 years ago. Oil and overpopulation is really the only thing that bothers me. Oil because America is probaly the most powerful country in the world, and we put our faith in such a flawed energy source. Overpopulation because third world countries are expanding economically, and it seems like there givermonts dont care about mother nature as much as they should. BTW it was hilarious how our governmont criticized Russia for invading Jordan when we invaded Afghanistan AND Iraq, killing thousands of civilians. Sadly, it seems that because of America's pursuit of greed, the middle east became a battleground. That's my opinion,and I'm not an anarchist, I swear. Just think the governmont could do a better job in the future. I agree 100% ...and no I do not think you are an anarchist...you have an open mind
    The Stormrider
    I don't really think Geezer is slamming Palin. Again, I've said this millions of times, in this election, we gotta ignore the minor politics. We need to elect the candidate that is most fit to lead the country. That would be McCain X]
    chickrawker
    people need to hunt to keep the population under control... but at least he shoots. thats something...
    SkidRow92
    Ackj wrote: wolf hunting is the largest problem in the US? even if it is, Obama/Biden havent really saved those wolves either
    amen to that broseph!