Hank Williams Jr's Son: My Dad Should Not Talk Politics

Hank Williams Jr.'s son - Hank Williams III - doesn't think his father should have opened his mouth about politics.

Hank Williams Jr's Son: My Dad Should Not Talk Politics
5
Hank Williams Jr.'s son - Hank Williams III - doesn't think his father should have opened his mouth about Obama on October 4, telling most musicians are "not worthy" of a political discussion. TMZ spoke with HW3 - and punk rock-meets-country singer - who tells us, "The only person out there worthy of mixing political views and music is Jello Biafra." FYI - Jello Biafra is the original lead singer of the legendary punk rock band Dead Kennedys... who is now a big shot political figure in the Green Party. As previously reported, Hank's dad's famous "Are You Ready For Some Football" jam was yanked from Monday Night Football October 4 night... after HW2 went on Fox News and proclaimed that President Obama and Joe Biden are "the enemy". When we asked HW3 about his political views, he told us, "I'm a musician... not a politician." Thanks for the report to TMZ.com.

114 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    vanillasky
    I just love this guy more and more. I was wondering how he would react to this incident.
    BigMikeBDD
    rechris06 wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: kLeft wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: You're one of "those". I get it. What the hell is that supposed to even mean? "Those" meaning someone who is able to think for themselves? You don't even know what you're arguing against here anymore, do you? (Besides trying to discredit my opinion just because I disagree with you, that's cool.) Nope, there comes a point when you realize what you're up against. Like trying to run a mile race in the Special Olympics when it hits you where you are. Besides...if you're saying RATM has changed your life, my guess is you're 16 or watch too much tv. When you get out from your parents nest egg, then let me know what you believe in. That is almost more ignorant than that person on here who said Obama is like Hitler. You probably don't even have a clue about politics anyway. Lol
    Yep, you got me big guy. Stay gangsta keyboard assasin.
    rechris06
    BigMikeBDD wrote: kLeft wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: One can still be anti-American and live in the country. They are anti-"insert Government issue here". Doesn't make them less whiney or irritating. I'm sorry but are you okay with your current economic meltdown right now? Do you even realize how badly you and everyone you care about are getting ****ed around by who you call your 'leaders'? To bring it all back to the main topic, I wouldn't agree with Hank Jr.'s statement that Obama and Biden are our enemies. It would be wrong to single anyone out in particular. It is the entire system that is dysfunctional, which is a very REAL fact. A fact that RATM happened to make a short music career bringing into light for ignorant ****s who only care about short-term pleasures. The problem I have with RATM is the fact that it's only a ridiculous extreme leftist view most of the time. I might not agree that Obama and Biden are our enemies, but let's put it this way, if I was as good at my job as they are, I would have been fired a long time ago. Needless to say, I'm not ok with how things are right now, but RATM hardly has the voice to change things and by the tone and lyrics from what I remember, they haven't the slightest.
    And the cool thing about music, you DON'T have to listen to it. O.O
    rechris06
    BigMikeBDD wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: kLeft wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: You're one of "those". I get it. What the hell is that supposed to even mean? "Those" meaning someone who is able to think for themselves? You don't even know what you're arguing against here anymore, do you? (Besides trying to discredit my opinion just because I disagree with you, that's cool.) Nope, there comes a point when you realize what you're up against. Like trying to run a mile race in the Special Olympics when it hits you where you are. Besides...if you're saying RATM has changed your life, my guess is you're 16 or watch too much tv. When you get out from your parents nest egg, then let me know what you believe in.
    That is almost more ignorant than that person on here who said Obama is like Hitler. You probably don't even have a clue about politics anyway. Lol
    NeutralFan
    omgbadman wrote: Anyone can talk politics and everyone is right because it's all just a big show anyway.
    Someone's been playing too much MGS2...
    GenerationKILL
    Actually, musicians ARE worthy of a political opinion if they're socially conscious and NOT ignorant about it. Some examples of this are: 60s Bob Dylan, The Dropkick Murphys (yes, they are politically inclined to unions and the working man...) and even Talib Kweli and Rage Against the Machine. However! Most country musicians should just keep their Right wing mouths shut since nobody wants to hear their ignorant opinions anyway. You lose credibility right away for being a country musician and having an opinion on politics. Wanna know why? because country music has such a rich heritage of social acceptance and toleration for other cultures*** ***SARCASM! OFF THE CHARTS!
    JordanDH
    Eirien wrote: HW3 needs a lesson in free speech. Anyone can talk politics if they want. It's just that most people are usually wrong and their views aren't going to change anything anyway.
    HWIII said that his dad shouldn't talk politics, not that he shouldn't be allowed to. Just like I think WBP shouldn't spew retarded homophobia, but they should be allowed to. I think maybe you need the lesson in freedom of speech. Your complaint about HWIII's comment do the exact same thing as HWIII's comment. Disapprove of someone's views. That's all.
    sFsKroniK
    If u can't think of a better name than hank let alone for like a third time you.prob shouldn't talk about politics
    jhart08
    Eirien wrote: HW3 needs a lesson in free speech. Anyone can talk politics if they want. It's just that most people are usually wrong and their views aren't going to change anything anyway.
    the point is shut up and sing
    BigMikeBDD
    kLeft wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: Nope, there comes a point when you realize what you're up against. Like trying to run a mile race in the Special Olympics when it hits you where you are. Besides...if you're saying RATM has changed your life, my guess is you're 16 or watch too much tv. When you get out from your parents nest egg, then let me know what you believe in. You don't know shit about me so stop pretending like you do. But yeah man whatever suits you, if staying up on that high horse makes you feel the most comfortable I will leave ya to it. I don't know what purpose there is attacking my subjective character has anything to do with objective fact, but whatever. Just wish I was arguing with someone who actually knew how back up their previous statements. G'day sir.
    As I said. Have a good one.
    mschup27
    ^I'm not sure what happened there, just to clear things im the one that posted thats just a troll calling the troll a troll, while trying to quote the troll's comment
    getts182
    Trent Armitage wrote: Oh, and you calling me a troll is not blind ignorance, I think your the troll, because your trolling on my comment.
    Troll: 6. slang ( intr ) computing to post deliberately inflammatory articles on an internet discussion board
    Trent Armitage wrote: Too bad Obama doesn't believe in god either
    Considering the deliberately inflammatory nature of that comment, I think it's an earned label.
    Trent Armitage wrote: Obama surely is trying to tax gun prices and registration.
    Taxing gun prices and registration is a completely different thing than "taking people's guns away." I don't know if it's true , but it voids the already erroneous Hitler comparison because it's not even remotely like taking away people's Second Amendment rights.
    Trent Armitage
    Shinsen88 wrote: $#%#@$ yeah, Jello Biafra. To be fair, no, he shouldn't have said that about Obama. But everyone is really overreacting. If he had said that about Bush noone would have cared.
    No kidding right, its like how Dixie Chicks said shit about bush
    Trent Armitage
    getts182 wrote: Trent Armitage wrote: Trent Armitage wrote: or maybe he shouldn't speak the truth of Obama. In my defense, he is comparable to Hitler! Hitler took away the guns from the jews, Obama wants to take the guns away from the people. I'm starting to think Trent is just trolling. Ugh. If you actually paid attention, you'd see that Obama has actually loosened gun restrictions during the course of his term. You can actually take guns into nation parks now, under law signed by President Obama. Last time I checked, Hitler didn't give the Jews better access to guns, and then take them back. I swear, (at least) half the hatred directed towards Obama is blind ignorance.
    Oh, and you calling me a troll is not blind ignorance, I think your the troll, because your trolling on my comment. Obama surely is trying to tax gun prices and registration. Blow yourself away on that fact, troll.
    SmittyMan90
    People are too uptight, true what he said was most inappropriate, but move on, he said what he said so live with it.
    BigMikeBDD
    kLeft wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: You're one of "those". I get it. What the hell is that supposed to even mean? "Those" meaning someone who is able to think for themselves? You don't even know what you're arguing against here anymore, do you? (Besides trying to discredit my opinion just because I disagree with you, that's cool.)
    Nope, there comes a point when you realize what you're up against. Like trying to run a mile race in the Special Olympics when it hits you where you are.
    BigMikeBDD
    BigMikeBDD wrote: kLeft wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: You're one of "those". I get it. What the hell is that supposed to even mean? "Those" meaning someone who is able to think for themselves? You don't even know what you're arguing against here anymore, do you? (Besides trying to discredit my opinion just because I disagree with you, that's cool.) Nope, there comes a point when you realize what you're up against. Like trying to run a mile race in the Special Olympics when it hits you where you are.
    Besides...if you're saying RATM has changed your life, my guess is you're 16 or watch too much tv. When you get out from your parents nest egg, then let me know what you believe in.
    kLeft
    BigMikeBDD wrote: Nope, there comes a point when you realize what you're up against. Like trying to run a mile race in the Special Olympics when it hits you where you are. Besides...if you're saying RATM has changed your life, my guess is you're 16 or watch too much tv. When you get out from your parents nest egg, then let me know what you believe in.
    You don't know shit about me so stop pretending like you do. But yeah man whatever suits you, if staying up on that high horse makes you feel the most comfortable I will leave ya to it. I don't know what purpose there is attacking my subjective character has anything to do with objective fact, but whatever. Just wish I was arguing with someone who actually knew how back up their previous statements. G'day sir.
    mschup27
    Trent Armitage wrote: Pagan_Poetry wrote: Trent Armitage wrote: well that's just troll calling the troll a troll Pagan_Poetry wrote: Trent Armitage wrote: ... Good God. That's all I have to say. Too bad Obama doesn't believe in god either I'm an atheist. It's just a saying because I'm not allowed to say Holy F*ckin' Sh*t on here. Your comment is still really senseless. Plus who cares if he does or doesn't? Why must religion coincide with politics? If your an atheist, why did you say good god than? You brought up religion, remember that ... I just said why. Also *you're and *then if we're playing the being picky game Im nto plyaign pciky fi u aer trlol
    getts182
    BenAffleck wrote: You know, when he said musicians shouldn't talk politics... that includes the UG community. Even though most of them are hardly musicians.
    Hahahahahaha! Even though I play guitar and my degree is political science, that's funny!
    BenAffleck
    You know, when he said musicians shouldn't talk politics... that includes the UG community. Even though most of them are hardly musicians.
    jacobdubya
    It gets annoying seeing people compare every US president to Hitler. Every ignorant, paranoid high school/college student who thinks they have an informed opinion on politics because they saw some conspiracy theory-fueled documentary calls every president "Hitler." You know what the difference is between Hitler and every US since God knows when is? HITLER GOT SHIT DONE. And I don't mean that speaking positively about the man, he was plain evil. But I wish people would just leave his name be and stopping throwing it around so flippantly. And as far as musicians speaking out on politics, I don't care. Their opinion doesn't change my opinion one way or the other, even if it's a musician I like. They can speak out no matter how ignorant their view is, they just better be ready for the shit storm they're igniting.
    abbydaddy03
    HW Jr is an idiot for saying such a thing. Most people watching the F Word news have no clue about the Nazi's or Hitler. The dumbing down of America continues.
    jetwash69
    [quote...Yeah. You're right. If his contract, or whatever, with Monday Night Football had warned him against speaking out on an issue like that, then, sure, they have every right to cut all ties with him for his loose lips. All I was saying is that the idea that 'musicians shouldn't express their political views' is unfair. [/quote] It doesn't look like either of us know what's in his actual contract. Most contracts like this have an escape clause to handle stuff like this. If NFL violated their contract with Jr, then they may have to face the consequences in court. I don't see that happening. But if it does, they'd have to lose hundreds of $ millions to make their response a bad business decision. Regardless of the contract, if you're going to speak on national media, you should have a strategy and ensure you don't alienate your sponsors/employers/clients unless you're prepared to lose them.
    Rbastid wrote: What Hank said was pretty dumb, granted he wasn't comparing Obama to Hitler, he was comparing the situation of two opposites meeting and trying to work out a deal far beyond the two of them, he just picked the stupidest person to use in his analogy. Theres a huge problem though where every musician comes out against Bush, supporting groups like Move On and being as political as they want, but the second someone does it on the right there is OUTRAGE, both in music and hollywood. HW3 seems kinda like a moron, why doesn't his father have the right to talk about politics? He's about as qualified as half the people in politics. Everyone has the right to say what they want and we can judge them as consumers, as ESPN did as an employer, but lets stop acting like this is the first time a celebrity has said something politically shocking, in the scheme he's done less than many who have directly compared Bush to Hitler.
    Some good points here. But remember III just put out his first 3 records on his own (after being freed from his sentence with Curb/"Bruc" records). Much like the NFL, he can't afford to alienate his fanbase, either. I haven't really figured out where III stands, since he supports guys like Jescoe White, Jeff Clayton, and even the legacy of G.G. Allin. When he endorses Biafra's mixing music and politics, that's certainly not an endorsement of the Left. Biafra has been irrelevant musically since leaving the DK and while he's been with the Green Party. Sure, the Green party is left of center. But when he was mixing music and politics in The Dead Kennedys, he didn't have a party affiliation. If anything he was slightly anarchistic, with an emphasis on Anti-Totalitarianism. Biafra showcased Leftist abuses of authority like the Communist regime in Cambodia and the California/San Francisco Democrats. He compared Democrats like Governer Brown (the first time around) to Hitler. I.e., California Uber Alles..."you'd look good as a drawstring lamp". And by using it with the most negative of Nazi imagery, he was by default codemning both Totatlitarian ends of the political spectrum. So really Biafra did the same thing Jr did, but he didn't become famous for doing it against a President. So III isn't saying Jr doesn't have the right to talk politics; he's just saying Jr shouldn't have done it--that it wasn't a good idea. A quick assessment of the results supports III's stance. As an Independent, I can see how Jr unintentionally swung a lot of votes away from the Republicans in 12--this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back against them.
    CoolaColada
    This is ridiculous. I can't believe how many people are against Obama. It proves that even someone as brilliant as he will take flak just because he is on top. He passed a huge health reform even while America is in the S***hole. There are growing pains, things will get worse before they get better. Bush left him the worst economy ever even after Bush flushed it down the toilet. Let's not forget that Bush became President while America was on top... and yet left Obama with the worst state it has ever been in. Bush has to be laughing right now as he ruined America and yet the black guy (not trying to be racist at all just proving a point) gets the blame. Get your heads out of your asses.
    Hansman
    I think, that also politicians are men, and so they have political interests (or maybe not), but it`s quiet questionable if they should use their status to spread messages... btw: a lot of them did: ted nugent, john morello, bono vox, eric clapton etc but i think the problem is people, who lift the musicians up to idols and stop to mind their own business and think for themselves...
    Rbastid
    What Hank said was pretty dumb, granted he wasn't comparing Obama to Hitler, he was comparing the situation of two opposites meeting and trying to work out a deal far beyond the two of them, he just picked the stupidest person to use in his analogy. Theres a huge problem though where every musician comes out against Bush, supporting groups like Move On and being as political as they want, but the second someone does it on the right there is OUTRAGE, both in music and hollywood. HW3 seems kinda like a moron, why doesn't his father have the right to talk about politics? He's about as qualified as half the people in politics. Everyone has the right to say what they want and we can judge them as consumers, as ESPN did as an employer, but lets stop acting like this is the first time a celebrity has said something politically shocking, in the scheme he's done less than many who have directly compared Bush to Hitler.
    jetwash69
    ^I'm not trying to defend Hank III's logic here--or represent it; I'm sure my thoughts on what "Qualifies" some to discuss politics is notw what III meant by "worthy of mixing political views and music".
    p_a_morgan
    jetwash69 wrote: p_a_morgan wrote: TheBDanAbstract wrote: ...There are tons of musicians/bands that express social and political views IN their songs. That's no different than speaking out on television. There's nothing wrong with what Hank Jr said. I don't agree, nor do I have to agree and no one else is obligated to agree with him, but he has every right to question the government or anyone other leaders for that matter. It would be different if he went on Faux News and said "Barack is a bleeping bleep bleep bleep and I hate his guts." We have liberties in this country and, for reasons such as Hank Jr's case, people feel as though they will be punished for expressing their beliefs. This is supposed to be a free country, but it's becoming less and less with each day. If I want to get on TV and say that I do like what the President is doing, I am allowed to, according to the U.S. Constitution. I like Hank III, but he is wrong about this. His father may have spoken out of turn or whatever, but he should be able to say what he wants without getting bashed and fired for it. And the NFL has the right to express themselves too. In a free country, a corporation doesn't have to keep paying someone to represent them when they misrepresent them carelessly. Jr sold out to the NFL, but then didn't live up to his end of the deal. Part of what "Qualifies" some people to talk politics is having a PR team to pre-screen what you say. If Jr ran that analogy by the NFL PR guys and they blessed it, or if they came up with it, then he might have a legitimate complaint. If he does have his own PR guys and they blessed the line, then he's got good cause to fire them too. Bottom line; in a free country, by default you need to consider the natural consequences of what you say and how you say it, and then you're going to live with the consequences. As long as the NFL fired him as their own business decision (and not under pressure from government employees) then our Constitution is fully intact. Just because you jump off a bridge in a free country doesn't mean that you're not going to splat on impact with the ground below.
    Yeah. You're right. If his contract, or whatever, with Monday Night Football had warned him against speaking out on an issue like that, then, sure, they have every right to cut all ties with him for his loose lips. All I was saying is that the idea that 'musicians shouldn't express their political views' is unfair.
    jetwash69
    BTW, If you want something gutsy in your collection, what could be gutsier than heavy metal played to the cadence of livestock auctioneering. The YouTube live videos don't do it justice; the auction voice doesn't cut through the mix--gotta see it in person, buy the 3 Bar Ranch CD or wait until it gets posted on YouTube with good audio. Recommend the song, "Now There's a Bull"
    badfish2829
    Eirien wrote: HW3 needs a lesson in free speech. Anyone can talk politics if they want. It's just that most people are usually wrong and their views aren't going to change anything anyway.
    "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong."
    Pippers
    Tom Morello is also a good choice. He came up to Madison to help protest the dismantling of free market Capitalism.
    Trent Armitage
    getts182 wrote: Trent Armitage wrote: Oh, and you calling me a troll is not blind ignorance, I think your the troll, because your trolling on my comment. Troll: 6. slang ( intr ) computing to post deliberately inflammatory articles on an internet discussion board Trent Armitage wrote: Too bad Obama doesn't believe in god either Considering the deliberately inflammatory nature of that comment, I think it's an earned label. Trent Armitage wrote: Obama surely is trying to tax gun prices and registration. Taxing gun prices and registration is a completely different thing than "taking people's guns away." I don't know if it's true, but it voids the already erroneous Hitler comparison because it's not even remotely like taking away people's Second Amendment rights.
    Oh so if I taxed guns 500000%, you wouldn't be able to afford one
    Xeus
    you can talk about what you want, just dont make it preachy
    Pit_
    LOL The only person is Jello? What about Tom Morello?
    DaniArrow
    He's right. Everyone, also musicians, can state their personal views on things. But there's a difference between personal views and telling people what't wrong/right or good/bad.
    jetwash69
    p_a_morgan wrote: TheBDanAbstract wrote: ...There are tons of musicians/bands that express social and political views IN their songs. That's no different than speaking out on television. There's nothing wrong with what Hank Jr said. I don't agree, nor do I have to agree and no one else is obligated to agree with him, but he has every right to question the government or anyone other leaders for that matter. It would be different if he went on Faux News and said "Barack is a bleeping bleep bleep bleep and I hate his guts." We have liberties in this country and, for reasons such as Hank Jr's case, people feel as though they will be punished for expressing their beliefs. This is supposed to be a free country, but it's becoming less and less with each day. If I want to get on TV and say that I do like what the President is doing, I am allowed to, according to the U.S. Constitution. I like Hank III, but he is wrong about this. His father may have spoken out of turn or whatever, but he should be able to say what he wants without getting bashed and fired for it.
    And the NFL has the right to express themselves too. In a free country, a corporation doesn't have to keep paying someone to represent them when they mis represent them carelessly. Jr sold out to the NFL, but then didn't live up to his end of the deal. Part of what "Qualifies" some people to talk politics is having a PR team to pre-screen what you say. If Jr ran that analogy by the NFL PR guys and they blessed it, or if they came up with it, then he might have a legitimate complaint. If he does have his own PR guys and they blessed the line, then he's got good cause to fire them too. Bottom line; in a free country, by default you need to consider the natural consequences of what you say and how you say it, and then you're going to live with the consequences. As long as the NFL fired him as their own business decision (and not under pressure from government employees) then our Constitution is fully intact. Just because you jump off a bridge in a free country doesn't mean that you're not going to splat on impact with the ground below.
    p_a_morgan
    TheBDanAbstract wrote: Apparently Hank III has never heard of Immortal Technique.
    THIS! There are tons of musicians/bands that express social and political views IN their songs. That's no different than speaking out on television. There's nothing wrong with what Hank Jr said. I don't agree, nor do I have to agree and no one else is obligated to agree with him, but he has every right to question the government or anyone other leaders for that matter. It would be different if he went on Faux News and said "Barack is a bleeping bleep bleep bleep and I hate his guts." We have liberties in this country and, for reasons such as Hank Jr's case, people feel as though they will be punished for expressing their beliefs. This is supposed to be a free country, but it's becoming less and less with each day. If I want to get on TV and say that I do like what the President is doing, I am allowed to, according to the U.S. Constitution. I like Hank III, but he is wrong about this. His father may have spoken out of turn or whatever, but he should be able to say what he wants without getting bashed and fired for it.
    Anjohl
    "Hank William Jr's Son" Really? His name is Shelton Hank Williams III, or Hank Williams III. Also, I agree, actors and musicians do not deserve special accommodations or a forum to talk politics, if they want to do it in private or at work like other people do, so be it. Being in The Santa Clause 2, or writing a theme song for Monday Night Football does not qualify you to be a political analyst.
    tonello
    MoFly41 wrote: CameronElektra wrote: U2 also need a lesson in this. U2 hasn't made an outward political statement in their music since 1989. You're a few decades late.
    You're kidding right? U2 is the worst for spewing out their political garbage.
    MoFly41
    CameronElektra wrote: U2 also need a lesson in this.
    U2 hasn't made an outward political statement in their music since 1989. You're a few decades late.
    Masterofpirates
    You're apparently encouraged to bitch about politics all you want, as long as you're not conservative. I honestly find RATM's political stuff just as annoying as the country crap, and teenagers will agree with whatever stupid shit they say as long as it's far left and edgy.
    y1p33y0
    As an American we should all have the right to speak our minds about politics.
    wasamuel
    musicians should express feelings not opinions. if there is overlap then so be it, but i dont think political issues should not be directly discussed as music just gets cheapened into propoganda.