Heavy Metal Fans Take Aim At UK Census

Metal fans in the UK are seeking to make it official with a Facebook campaign to have Heavy Metal recognized as a religion on the upcoming UK Census.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
8

Ozzy Osbourne once sang Rock n roll is my religion and my law. Now metal fans in the United Kingdom are seeking to make it official with a Facebook campaign to have Heavy Metal recognized as a religion on the upcoming UK Census.

Almost 35,000 fans have signed on to the campaign so far, all dedicated to designating Heavy Metal as their religion on their census forms, which are being delivered to every household in the UK.

The campaign was largely inspired by the 2001 Census, in which a grassroots protest against the inclusion of a question about religion resulted Jedi being ranked as the 4th-largest religious faith in the UK.

Saxon frontman Biff Byford believes the Force is with the campaign to get Heavy Metal on the 2011 Census, and has signed on as a supporter of the effort.

He asks fans: Are you a defender of the faith? Do you throw the horns more often than you put your hands together? Then join our campaign to let the UK Census and the whole world know it.

Metal was created here so it must be in the gene pool in the UK, I think!, says Byford.

In the early 80s there was a huge number of great bands and we were all part of the same club, whatever we called ourselves, whether it was heavy rock, rock'n'roll or heavy metal, it made no difference. There was just this huge following of over a million people in the UK and now it's happening all over again! Getting heavy metal recognised as a religion is a great bit of rebellion, isn't it? This really is going to be a very cool thing.

You can add your voice to the campaign by liking the Facebook page here, or filling out your Census forms by March 27th if you live in the UK.

183 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Mr. Dragon
    Lol @ all the butthurt elitists, you people need to relax and take that stick out of your behind.
    They can't, they are an army of anus f**ks
    fader198
    No one is actually trying to make it a real religion. Why are people so thick... Each one of these comments saying how sad or stupid or idiotic these people are for doing this makes me die a little. But at the same time, at least I know who to avoid correspondence with in the future. All of this went way over your heads.
    The person or group of people that started it meant it as a joke I'm sure. On the other hand, you have to figure that many of the people involved now probably are strongly convicted about this. Give em an inch they'll take a mile every time.
    makutoid
    could be any more retarded? religion is based on the belief in some kind of higher power, heavy metal is a style of music which some people choose to listen to. pretty big difference there... idiots. i'm sorry but there's no arguing, its stupid
    \o/
    pineaple expres wrote: i believe metal is a religion. we dont exactly bow to it but we believe in the music and we follow it with everything. religion is basically a belief in something rite? everyone believes in something. doesnt have to be a god. hate it all you want but i would love to see this actually hapn.
    I'm one of the biggest lovers of metal you'd ever care to meet....i dress like a normal person (because metalheads seem to think it's cool to dress like vagrants), listen to lots of pop, chart and dance music, and never ever throw the 'horns' because they're stupid. I bet i love metal more than you do and i don't 'follow it with everything' because however many people try to mark it out as a lifestyle, it's just a genre of music at the end of the day.
    \o/
    Oh, and the people who're saying being a 'metalhead' is about individuality etc. Yes, i'm sure if you listened to hip hop you'd have long hair, viking beard and would dress like a tramp and play a guitar. At the end of the day, 'metalheads' are just following a fad, like their friends, same as most other people. Try being yourselves.
    Eifler121
    Heavy Metal= bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, Death Klok, I dont' support this Hevy Metal=Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, I do.
    adstr123
    What an embarrassment to actual non-noob metalheads. And an embarrassment for my glorious country that we harbor such morons....
    fader198
    what morons. heavy metal is all about being anti religion and law. quoting lemmy. f*ck god f*ck the devil and f*ck the church
    Metal is about thinking for yourself. Not every band in the genre is anti-religious. Metal is about having the presence of mind not to believe everything Lemmy says just because he said it, and I think he would agree. AS for the article, metal is a genre of music and a cultural force, nothing more. The fact these people want to make it a religion is quite sad. They don't get the point of being a metalhead at all.
    Khalma
    No one is actually trying to make it a real religion. Why are people so thick... Each one of these comments saying how sad or stupid or idiotic these people are for doing this makes me die a little. But at the same time, at least I know who to avoid correspondence with in the future. All of this went way over your heads.
    Khalma
    fader198 wrote: No one is actually trying to make it a real religion. Why are people so thick... Each one of these comments saying how sad or stupid or idiotic these people are for doing this makes me die a little. But at the same time, at least I know who to avoid correspondence with in the future. All of this went way over your heads. The person or group of people that started it meant it as a joke I'm sure. On the other hand, you have to figure that many of the people involved now probably are strongly convicted about this. Give em an inch they'll take a mile every time.
    Yeah maybe some of them are. On the other hand the few people I've seen or spoken to who actually did do this also regarded it as a joke too. I don't have the largest sampling of the said 35,000 people but people get up in arms about the littlest things.
    mitch311
    It's kind of funny. Why are you people calling them idiots, whats the big deal?
    ProgJazzMath
    I'm an american and I am going to vote just in hopes it will pass and I can sit back and laugh at you guys.
    link no1
    \o/ wrote: Oh, and the people who're saying being a 'metalhead' is about individuality etc. Yes, i'm sure if you listened to hip hop you'd have long hair, viking beard and would dress like a tramp and play a guitar. At the end of the day, 'metalheads' are just following a fad, like their friends, same as most other people. Try being yourselves.
    I listen to hip-hop, I have long hair, a 'viking beard' and 'dress like a tramp' as you so nicly put it. Also all my friends have short hair and wear tracksuits. Where is your argument now, Dumbass.
    Eifler121 wrote: Heavy Metal= bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, Death Klok, I dont' support this Hevy Metal=Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, I do.
    Heavy Metal = Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden Hard Rock = Led Zeppelin Death metal = Dethklok (no space between deth and klok) Metalcore = Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium Before you throw what is and isn't Heavy Metal around learn what the genres of the bands you are calling sh*t (i.e "I dont' support this") are. Also Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium DO also come under Heavy Metal for both bands newer matirial.
    themetalpig
    \o/ wrote: At the end of the day, 'metalheads' are just following a fad, like their friends, same as most other people. Try being yourselves.
    Don't worry buddy, you are unique...just like everybody else.
    loaded_
    People who are going like 'Durrr metal is stupid, this is retarded' have no sense of humor and fail to see the true point of this thing.
    thefollower
    Why is everyone saying its rediculous - its not going to be used in religious way its just going to be legally a religion to the Uk's database. There will be place of worship unless you consider gigs such a thing and there is no mighty being unless you consider the artist at the gig to be the priest to the metal god who ever that may be. The point is - its just for laughs so just enjoy the laughs >.>. Its better than a bieber religion which a fb group could easily start.
    Laslow
    Too many people have wasted their time reading this... Why waste even more time arguing about it...?
    thewho65
    It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls. -Your Humble American Correspondent
    AEnesidem
    How many stupid people can post in 1 thread They arent trying to make heavy metal a real religion they just want to be on the damned list to kind of insult christianity and such and if its useless well ok but what do you care if they think its fun let them do it . Ok some metal fans irritate me in their way of thinking like: "metal is the only music" but this is just sort of joke to mOck religions
    Vypor
    Listen guys, RELIGON simply means "WAY OF LIFE" . . . Heavy metal is a WAY OF LIFE.
    BTKA
    Lord_Doku wrote: I thought metal was about mocking society and not following the trends and all kinds of things like that, it's not a dammned religion. It just is, no rules, no exceptions, nothing else.
    Amen!
    johnnathandope
    john_bird_o wrote: Khalma wrote: john_bird_o wrote: You don't get Blues or Jazz fans wanting to be pretentious and make it a religion. There's so much masculinity in the Metal culture it's unreal. I know because I've seen, heard and met lots of the retards at music festivals over the years. People who listen to Metal religiously are just narrow minded, anal, agressive, rude people. Not as a complete generalisation, but in MOST cases. I listen to metal first and foremost, as do nearly every one of my close friends. We most certainly aren't "narrow-minded, anal, aggressive, or rude people". I find the people constantly attacking metal and me personally for daring to like something that they don't to be far more fitting of those stereotypes you just laid down. Your entire post is just ridiculous. And yes, Blues and Jazz fans can be equally as pretentious as any Metal fan. I'm talking about the tribalism that goes with Metal music. If you have been to a lot of Metal festivals, you will see how they act and stuff when they are there. Just like you and your friends, they will have 'fun' for five days, go home and step back to reality. When they are at festivals they walk around being pretentious, agressive et etc. Abusing girls, shouting at girls etc etc. Seriousy, the tribalism which goes with Metal is just Soccer hooliganism like in English leagues of Football. Actually, I don't see Blues or Jazz fans being pretentious over their music by wanting it as a religion. Seriously, got to Metal festivals and get an idea of what the people are like at them. Seriously, they exercise their rights to being a C*NT. At Download Festival 2007? (The year My Chemical Romance played) they absolutely trashed the enitre place because they were outraged that they played there. No other festivals have the same people that go to Metal festivals, FACT.
    someones a closet metalhead awwww
    Reddaz
    I wudn't say I am actually religious about metal, cos other strands of rock and pop do get in sumtimes, but if your faith is where you draw your values from, then I guess Heavy Metal is my religion.... which is why I put it down I my form!
    Chronologo
    thebadger87 wrote: Obviously it's not a religion in the traditional sense. This is more to mock the question being on the census in the first place. Wouldn't getting Heavy Metal on the Census under "religion" be anti-religious?
    completely agree it would be a sucker punch on the religious fanatic's faces
    Khalma
    john_bird_o wrote: Khalma wrote: john_bird_o wrote: You don't get Blues or Jazz fans wanting to be pretentious and make it a religion. There's so much masculinity in the Metal culture it's unreal. I know because I've seen, heard and met lots of the retards at music festivals over the years. People who listen to Metal religiously are just narrow minded, anal, agressive, rude people. Not as a complete generalisation, but in MOST cases. I listen to metal first and foremost, as do nearly every one of my close friends. We most certainly aren't "narrow-minded, anal, aggressive, or rude people". I find the people constantly attacking metal and me personally for daring to like something that they don't to be far more fitting of those stereotypes you just laid down. Your entire post is just ridiculous. And yes, Blues and Jazz fans can be equally as pretentious as any Metal fan. I'm talking about the tribalism that goes with Metal music. If you have been to a lot of Metal festivals, you will see how they act and stuff when they are there. Just like you and your friends, they will have 'fun' for five days, go home and step back to reality. When they are at festivals they walk around being pretentious, agressive et etc. Abusing girls, shouting at girls etc etc. Seriousy, the tribalism which goes with Metal is just Soccer hooliganism like in English leagues of Football. Actually, I don't see Blues or Jazz fans being pretentious over their music by wanting it as a religion. Seriously, got to Metal festivals and get an idea of what the people are like at them. Seriously, they exercise their rights to being a C*NT. At Download Festival 2007? (The year My Chemical Romance played) they absolutely trashed the enitre place because they were outraged that they played there. No other festivals have the same people that go to Metal festivals, FACT.
    Uhh, download is not a metal festival. A metal festival is Bloodstock or Paganfest. Also, my circle of friends is half guys and half girls, and we treat other girls at our shows with respect. I can tell you don't actually understand metalheads nor have you ever been to a real metal festival. Any festival that includes MCR should immediately strike you as not being a metal festival. So actual, rock fans who don't like MCR trashed that place. I also like MCR. Agreed, true metal fans don't go to other genres festivals. I've never enjoyed a crowd more then I enjoyed the last Heathenfest. I guess your only coming across as so offensive to me because it pains to see someone so hopelessly skewed against me when they don't know me nor any of the people you seem so quick to judge. I could promise that if you spent one or two days hanging out with my friends and I (a group of metal fans who also love other styles of music too!) you'd probably have a good time. We are humans too.
    Khalma
    Hmm, wish you could edit posts on this site. Sorry for the grammatical errors in that last post and for double posting.
    Reddaz
    johnnathandope : john_bird_o wrote: Khalma wrote: john_bird_o wrote: You don't get Blues or Jazz fans wanting to be pretentious and make it a religion. There's so much masculinity in the Metal culture it's unreal. I know because I've seen, heard and met lots of the retards at music festivals over the years. People who listen to Metal religiously are just narrow minded, anal, agressive, rude people. Not as a complete generalisation, but in MOST cases. I listen to metal first and foremost, as do nearly every one of my close friends. We most certainly aren't "narrow-minded, anal, aggressive, or rude people". I find the people constantly attacking metal and me personally for daring to like something that they don't to be far more fitting of those stereotypes you just laid down. Your entire post is just ridiculous. And yes, Blues and Jazz fans can be equally as pretentious as any Metal fan. I'm talking about the tribalism that goes with Metal music. If you have been to a lot of Metal festivals, you will see how they act and stuff when they are there. Just like you and your friends, they will have 'fun' for five days, go home and step back to reality. When they are at festivals they walk around being pretentious, agressive et etc. Abusing girls, shouting at girls etc etc. Seriousy, the tribalism which goes with Metal is just Soccer hooliganism like in English leagues of Football. Actually, I don't see Blues or Jazz fans being pretentious over their music by wanting it as a religion. Seriously, got to Metal festivals and get an idea of what the people are like at them. Seriously, they exercise their rights to being a C*NT. At Download Festival 2007? (The year My Chemical Romance played) they absolutely trashed the enitre place because they were outraged that they played there. No other festivals have the same people that go to Metal festivals, FACT. someones a closet metalhead awwww
    John bird, your way off the mark there with your perception of metalheads, sure a few guys turn to nobs when they're a bit 'Charlie Sheened', but it aint a reflection on the music they listen to, you'll find that in any subculture! And if they/we upset you so much why do you keep going to metal festivals? And BTW, I was there at Download '07 when My Chem got bottled off, and while you could argue that it was a bad call and they shudnt have got bottled off, they wer unfortunately on the wrong stage at the wrong time, and argueably at the wrong festival!
    garret718
    ChucklesMginty wrote: This is why I hate metal fans.
    and this is why they hate you
    garret718
    I don't like it. IMO it wouldn't work because some people, like me, already follow a belief system. Heavy Metal is part of my personality but it's not bigger than my religious beliefs
    Pan-Tallica
    TyM218 wrote: Heavy metal is neither a religion or a genre of music IMO.
    Eh? You're entitled to your opinion and everything lol, but how is it not a genre...? A bold statement, my friend - you better getcha flame shield ready.
    Inimical
    john_bird_o wrote: You don't get Blues or Jazz fans wanting to be pretentious and make it a religion. There's so much masculinity in the Metal culture it's unreal. I know because I've seen, heard and met lots of the retards at music festivals over the years. People who listen to Metal religiously are just narrow minded, anal, agressive, rude people. Not as a complete generalisation, but in MOST cases.
    Hey while we're all making sweeping generalizations of diverse groups of people who identify with a subculture: People who listen to rap are criminals. People who listen to jazz are 40+ musicians who still live in their mom's basement. People who listen to blues are 50 year old bikers. I've been to a lot of music festivals that weren't metal (including a jazz festival) and saw the same behaviour. Newsflash: There are morons everywhere, and these metalheads are no exception.
    Alreddyded
    Wow I hate all of you :/ Metal is not about anything. It does not hold values and can't be followed like a faith. Anyone who says 'Metal is my life' or 'I listen to metal RELIGIOUSLY' is just an idiot, let's be honest. This applies to any genre of music. Because let's face it, at the end of the day it's still just organised sound. 'Oh hey I'm a metal fan let's write heavy metal as my religion on a census' Fun. -.-
    thebigredjj10
    -LAW- wrote: By the way.. imo (as a metalhead) - This whole "Metal as a religion" thing is quite simply a bit of fun to us. Not only is it VERY "tongue-in-cheek" it also "sticks it to the man" through undermining common religious values; thus (hopefully) showing religion's true nature to people. Religion is entirely fictional and it is only powerful because of the masses. Which is why I worship the metal gods. Metal up yer ass!!
    Exactly, this isn't trying to make a "real" religion with gods, rules, rituals, and mythology, it's the opposite. Kind of a joke, an insult to religious folkies.
    herrderr
    i am right . if you don't agree with me you are nothing. my opinion is best.
    jsspang
    I always wondered why there were so many metal tools on this site. This explains a lot.
    GenerationKILL
    GenerationKILL wrote: Heavy metal is not a religion. That very thing idea is insulting to the people that have fought and died for theirs. Whether you are religious or not this sort of thing is disrespectful in my opinion. Heavy metal should be recognized as a good time with good people who are like minded, not complicated by labeling it a religion
    ...And honestly if you feel the need to put "heavy metal" as your religion on anything important, like say legal documents you've missed the point completely and need to ****ing grow up. Despite what your wealthy idolized heavy metal star is telling you whos a slave to their corperate master. Think for yourselves people. Bill Hicks would be proud if you did!
    metalmaniac90
    Wow making it a conformity is just going to make it look weird and put it even further in the dumps. I guess if thats what you wanna do more power to you, but I certainly wouldn't list the music I listen to as my religion.