Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold and Killswitch Engage were amongst the honorees at the Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards that took place on June 16th, Blabbermouth reports.
The event, which took place in London, featured performances from Steel Panther, Black Stone Cherry, the Dillinger Escape Plan, While She Sleeps and Behemoth.
Speaking about the event, Metal Hammer editor in chief Alexander Milas said: "Heavy metal has been around for over 40 years, and as this year's winners prove, it remains as vibrant as ever.
"From prog metal visionaries Opeth, genuine guitar hero Michael Schenker, absolute legends Hanoi Rocks - who first married the words 'glam' and 'metal' and inspired a movement - to Orphaned Land, whose integrity as artists and spokespeople for the power of metal to unite people genuinely blew us all away tonight, this was a night for the history books.
"Add to that a screen legend like David Prowse, and you might even say the Force was strong with this one."
Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards 2014 winners:
- Best New Band: Devil You Know
- Dimebag Darrell Shredder: Misha Mansoor of Periphery
- Breakthrough Artist: Of Mice and Men
- Best Underground Band: Wardruna
- Best UK Band: Iron Maiden
- Best Live Band: Killswitch Engage
- Best International Band: Avenged Sevenfold
- Global Metal Act: "Orphaned Land" and "Khalas"
- Riff Lord: Mark Tremonti of Alter Bridge
- King of the Internet: Devin Townsend
- Inspiration: Hanoi Rocks
- Album of the Year: Behemoth, "The Satanist"
- Icon: Michael Schenker
- Spirit of Hammer: David Prowse (Darth Vader in "Star Wars" movie)
- The Golden God: Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
- Game of the Year: Grand Theft Auto V
- Video of the Year: Steel Panther, "Party Like It's the End of the World"