Jack White Set For No 1 Album

Jack White is set to score a US and UK chart double next week with his debut solo album "Blunderbuss".

Jack White Set For No 1 Album
7
Jack White is set to score a US and UK chart double next week with his debut solo album "Blunderbuss". The ex-White Stripes man is predicted to top the Billboard 200 in the US with around 100,000-120,000 copies of the album shifted, according to chart experts. The chart is due to be unveiled next Wednesday (May 2). Yesterday, it was revealed White is well on course to knock Adele's "21" from the top of the UK album chart this Sunday (April 29), with Rufus Wainwright and his new album "Out Of The Game" his main contender. Although White has never topped the Billboard 200 in the US, The White Stripes scored two Number Ones in the UK, with 2003's "Elephant" and 2007's "Icky Thump". Earlier this week it was announced that White would write, produce and perform the soundtrack to the new Disney adaptation of The Lone Ranger. He also played his first solo UK show this week (April 23), headlining London's HMV Forum the day "Blunderbuss" was released. White is set to return in June for more UK gigs, including a set at Radio 1's Hackney Weekend event in London on June 23. Thanks for the report to Nme.com

46 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Minivirus2
    Proof, that if you're creative, inspiring and put out a solid product, people will buy it. I hope some musicians take a page out of his book.
    Crimson Ghost
    Jack White is one of the biggest rock musicians in the world, and he deserves a number 1 album
    BigSpence
    Crimson Ghost wrote: Jack White is one of the biggest rock musicians in the world, and he deserves a number 1 album
    Sadly, many people would disagree, but I'm not one of them. I've heard people say his songs are simple, so therefore, he sucks. Simplicity is a good thing.
    I.shower.naked
    This is actually the first new album of the year that has really caught my eye, I'm glad to see him on the Billboard charts, he deserves it.
    CaptinK'nuckles
    leohimself wrote: the album is not that good. i prefer his old stuff.
    And so the hipsters begin to crawl out of their caves...
    shredder3386
    FUNKYM0NK413 wrote: Good, he deserves it. The album is great.
    Totally agree. For once I won't be horrified by an album that is topping the charts.
    EvilAngel93
    wylde1994 wrote: As long as it knocks Adele of no 1 i'm happy
    I have nothing wrong with Adele's music; it just gets overplayed. I'd rather see Adele than Nicki Minaj, anyhow. However, I prefer Jack White to all of the above. Weird and cool album by the way.
    elcapitan1800
    Good for Jack, he deserves a No 1. Stoked for the new album, but I hope that after touring for this the Raconteurs get back in the studio!!
    jrodgers
    To me, this album seems to be Jack getting his singer/songwriter fix. And that's fine, especially considering this as a flip side to his other more band oriented material. Guess I was hoping for a more rock-oriented record though, comparable to white stripes, since I always assumed those were practically his solo albums anyway.
    Maestro1600
    leohimself wrote: the album is not that good. i prefer his old stuff.
    Are some people only able to like things that other people have declared 'classic'? It's not personal to you, mr leohimself. I don't know you, and maybe you don't come under this category, but so many people always bang on about artists' early work or older albums. It seems like they don't trust their own opinion and can only like what has already been judged worthy. Just my ha'penny's worth...
    FN77
    come2gether wrote: I don't hate Jack White. Actually I'm really really happy that there is someone along to go with John Mayer, Derek Trucks and Joe Bonamossa keeping blues playing alive. BUT, I honestly think had the White stripes not had the hipsters on their side for their entire career and the magazines sucking their d*ck, Jack White wouldn't be famous. He's just not that good of a guitar player. He was voted number 17 on the greatest guitarist list of Rolling Stone back in '03, adn all they basically said was it was because he revitalized blues playing. If that's the case, then John Mayer should be somewhere in the top 20 by now. Idk, just my opinion but Jack could benefit by buying a tuner and learning how to solo and not sound like Neil Young taking a sh*t.
    As a technical guitar player, you are right, Jack White does not measure up to the surgical precision of someone like Mayer, but Jack's playing is more about the overall uniqueness he has. He has said he doesn't want everything to be perfect with his playing, he wants that neck to be a little crooked, he want it a little out of tune, he wants to have to fight with it and earn what comes out, which all goes to his overall rock star "Jack White" mystic. I have said White is one of the best I have ever heard at turning noise into music. He'll slam his hands on the piano, stum hard on the guitar but somehow it works and fit with the song. Mayer is absolutely a better guitarist than Jack, but Jack has him beat in the uniqueness category, which is why he's up there at 17.
    shwilly
    jrodgers wrote: This is my least favorite album he has done (out of white stripes, raconteurs, dead weather). And that's not because I'm any kind of "hipster". In fact, depending on how you would define the word "hipster", I'd say this is Jack White's most "hipster" album to date.
    WTF is this obsession with things being "hipster" or not all of a sudden?? It's like one day someone decided "hey guize, let's make up a new minority. I know, people have had anti-mainstream attitudes, listened to indie music and worn thick rimmed glasses and skinny jeans for many, many years now -at least since the Strokes- but it's been ages since we collectively nagged about emo's so let's just go and pretend this is a noteworthy cultural developement -> I mean what is up with these hipsters? They're everywhere!!" Seriously, I thought indie was a vague term... Now I have to pretend I know what you guys mean when you say this is Jack White's most "hipster" album to date ??
    jrodgers
    "Sounding like Neil Young taking a sh*t"? LOL! Even though I do enjoy a lot of Jack White's solos, that is a pretty funny yet accurate description of a lot of it. As for needing a tuner, well, I'd say he just needs to stop playing on beat-up, plastic guitars that he stomps all over just for the hell of it.
    guitarplayer292
    come2gether wrote: I don't hate Jack White. Actually I'm really really happy that there is someone along to go with John Mayer, Derek Trucks and Joe Bonamossa keeping blues playing alive. BUT, I honestly think had the White stripes not had the hipsters on their side for their entire career and the magazines sucking their d*ck, Jack White wouldn't be famous. He's just not that good of a guitar player. He was voted number 17 on the greatest guitarist list of Rolling Stone back in '03, adn all they basically said was it was because he revitalized blues playing. If that's the case, then John Mayer should be somewhere in the top 20 by now. Idk, just my opinion but Jack could benefit by buying a tuner and learning how to solo and not sound like Neil Young taking a sh*t.
    You can't forget about Gary Clark Jr., who I prefer much more than John Mayer. Back to this album though, I've never really been a White Stripes fan, but I really like this new album.
    jrodgers
    @shwilly. You took my most "hipster" album to date quote a bit out of context. The phrase before I said that was... "depending on your definition of the word hipster". You obviously take different connotations from that word than I and others do, as I don't at all consider it a genre of music label (such as emo or indie as you do). My post was a tongue and cheek response to someone who earlier used the word "hipster" to describe any person who may have gripes with this album.
    kratos379
    Love Interruption and Sixteen Saltines are both very good. As for the rest of the album, I felt that it sounded better the second time I listened to those songs. It's not quite as good as the White Stripes to me, but it's still very good and I hope he gets to the top of the charts. It'd be nice not to have pop or rap bullshit at the top.
    jrodgers
    This is my least favorite album he has done (out of white stripes, raconteurs, dead weather). And that's not because I'm any kind of "hipster". In fact, depending on how you would define the word "hipster", I'd say this is Jack White's most "hipster" album to date.
    come2gether
    SomeBlueKind, Why? John Mayer can write big pop hits and rip a great solo standing on stage next to slash, billy gibbons, bb king, eric clapton, buddy guy, countless other blues greats.. I hreally hope it's not something stupid like "he's just a pop star" because that's dumb. Also its not something really stupid like "he's just a SRV/Hendrix clone" because we've reached the point in blues where anyone who plays anything bluesy that is pleasing to the ear is playing something all those guys already did. John mayer brought blues to thousands and thousands of kids, Jack white played power chords and screams.
    mathman51
    My hats off do you Jack White, you truly are in control of your career. There was a good reason why people related you to Jimmy Page because you do what you want to do and not what a label requires you to do. Does he hit every note...no but he admits that.Does he say he is in the top 10 for guitarists... no magazines will propose that but,is he smart? The Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather and Third Man Records prove that he is. Well done Jack!!!
    SomeBlueKind
    Great album. Putting John Mayer in the same category as Jack White, even if that category is "blues musicians," is laughable. John Mayer just doesn't do it for me at all.
    come2gether
    I don't hate Jack White. Actually I'm really really happy that there is someone along to go with John Mayer, Derek Trucks and Joe Bonamossa keeping blues playing alive. BUT, I honestly think had the White stripes not had the hipsters on their side for their entire career and the magazines sucking their d*ck, Jack White wouldn't be famous. He's just not that good of a guitar player. He was voted number 17 on the greatest guitarist list of Rolling Stone back in '03, adn all they basically said was it was because he revitalized blues playing. If that's the case, then John Mayer should be somewhere in the top 20 by now. Idk, just my opinion but Jack could benefit by buying a tuner and learning how to solo and not sound like Neil Young taking a sh*t.
    CJMusics
    BigSpence wrote: Crimson Ghost wrote: Jack White is one of the biggest rock musicians in the world, and he deserves a number 1 album Sadly, many people would disagree, but I'm not one of them. I've heard people say his songs are simple, so therefore, he sucks. Simplicity is a good thing.
    "You've Heard" don't you make that decision yourself? He is ****ing awesome. His songs are so much different. He is one of the most hardworking musicians in the world and he deserves this 100% Everytime i hear something from Jack White its amazing!! One of the best front men too.
    chiefmegadeth
    everytime i hear this guy, i think who let this garage band out of that garage.he is such a average musician seriously don't know what you guys see in him. each to hes own...thank god he is not my own. he is god awful
    Talk Box
    Yeah I don't think it's his greatest piece of work but it's alright. Sixteen Saltines, Freedom at 21, and Weep Themselves to Sleep are my favourites. I am very surprised at the number one spot, though. Good on him I guess.
    sickassfoo
    i dont care for this guy but congrats anyways. just comes to show that anyone can do it.
    come2gether
    SFosterS, first was I talking to you? Second, oh ya i forgot about that album. I guess I wasjust thinking about Icky Thump,Steady as she goes, Fell in love with a girl, dead leaves and the dirty ground,and countless other tunes that are good but all sound the same
    SFosterS
    come2gether wrote: SomeBlueKind, Why? John Mayer can write big pop hits and rip a great solo standing on stage next to slash, billy gibbons, bb king, eric clapton, buddy guy, countless other blues greats.. I hreally hope it's not something stupid like "he's just a pop star" because that's dumb. Also its not something really stupid like "he's just a SRV/Hendrix clone" because we've reached the point in blues where anyone who plays anything bluesy that is pleasing to the ear is playing something all those guys already did. John mayer brought blues to thousands and thousands of kids, Jack white played power chords and screams.
    Easy... I don't like Mayers songs... I love guitar but not enough to listen to a song that I hate for various reasons. Oh ya and power chords and screams? You clearly don't know his music. Lot's of screaming on Get Behind Me Satan lol
    MacFamousKid
    Not overrated. If you hear a Jack White song, you know right away it's Jack White (or some incarnation of his awesomeness). Personally, I loved him when he was with the Raconteurs. One of the best modern rhythm sections, and mixing that Jack White vibe with Brendan Benson's pop-virtuosity, paved the way for two of my all-time favorite albums. I really hope they consider a third. Jack White's song are simple, yet well-written. I'd take any of his songs over a metal shredder. The general public wants good songs, with solid musicianship, not a bunch of show-offs that play the same scales with the same guitar tone as everyone else in that genre. I know this goes against what ultimate-guitar is all about, but ch'yeah.
    PRM
    Awesome album and he deserves a number 1 album...
    COREYTAYLOR721
    Wish my copy would arrive. Hope he makes more solo albums.....that is unless the White Stripes came back. Never going to happen though.
    motorizer
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A ..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
    EvilAngel93
    come2gether wrote: I don't hate Jack White. Actually I'm really really happy that there is someone along to go with John Mayer, Derek Trucks and Joe Bonamossa keeping blues playing alive. BUT, I honestly think had the White stripes not had the hipsters on their side for their entire career and the magazines sucking their d*ck, Jack White wouldn't be famous. He's just not that good of a guitar player. He was voted number 17 on the greatest guitarist list of Rolling Stone back in '03, adn all they basically said was it was because he revitalized blues playing. If that's the case, then John Mayer should be somewhere in the top 20 by now. Idk, just my opinion but Jack could benefit by buying a tuner and learning how to solo and not sound like Neil Young taking a sh*t.
    What defines a good guitarist, then? While I don't think he's absolutely the best guitarist evar, he's got a lot of credibility both as a guitarist and as an overall songwriter. The latter is the biggest reason why people like Jack White; guitar abilities mean nothing if you can't write songs. Which is what he does. I also doubt it was "hipsters" that caused The White Stripes to be famous. One reason is Seven Nation Army, and another is the fact that they were relatively minimalistic. I mean, I mostly listen to 3+ person-bands, so hearing just drums, guitar, and vox is a stark change of pace.
    JJ1990
    To be honest I think Blunderbuss is one of the best CDs I've listened to in years. I find it absolutely brilliant. I hope Jack gets it done, he would deserve it.
    greg mcclung
    It deserves to be no 1 on its own merits. Amazon .co.uk have this album as its download album of the week at a discounted price, almost without exception every albulm of the week gets to no 1 because of this. Charts are not a barometer of success .