Kurt Cobain Bridge Proposal Rejected

A campaign to rename the bridge which Kurt Cobain wrote songs underneath has been rejected by the city council.

Kurt Cobain Bridge Proposal Rejected
1
Residents of Kurt Cobain's hometown Aberdeen, WA, appear to be getting tired of memorials to the late Nirvana frontman. It was proposed that the Young Street Bridge, under which Cobain occasionally slept and famously included in the opening lyrics to "Something In The Way", would be renamed the Kurt Cobain Bridge. Unfortunately for the campaigners, Spinner report that the City Council voted 10-1 against the proposal, with eight citizens apparently attending the meeting in opposition applauding when the conclusion was reached. The group are understood to be against the bridge being renamed after a drug-using musician. But it's not a complete loss for grunge fans. A patch of land near the bridge will be named the Cobain Landing, and on the 17th anniversary of his death in April we reported on a statue erected in his memory of a Fender Jag-stang. There are other small tributes to the singer and guitarist scattered around town - the phrase "Come As You Are" appears locally in places as varied as resident's water bill.

144 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Caribousunking
    Trent Armitage wrote: Kobain just called, he said we should name the bridge after him
    Does he want his name spelled incorrect too?
    Tomamo5
    Honestly. I love Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, but I thought this was a stupid idea. I'm glad it didn't happen. To be fair to the above comments, it would be likely that Kurt would've apposed this idea. He wasn't an egomaniac. Although, it's hard to tell sometimes, his character was largely contradictory to himself.
    DanielN
    Caribousunking wrote: Trent Armitage wrote: Kobain just called, he said we should name the bridge after him Does he want his name spelled incorrect too?
    +1
    Caribousunking
    Megadethfan245 wrote: I'm not shocked, most people don't want to name a bridge after a drug addict that killed himself no matter how legendary the musician was. Don't get me wrong, I love Kurt Cocaine and I love Nirvana. But I mean it kinda makes sense.
    Can everybody just stop with the Kurt "Cocaine" thing? It's not funny or clever and it never was. "Hur hur...Cocaine sounds like Cobain...and he did drugs...hur hur hur." Morons. Anywho, Kurt would've hated it I imagine. He hated the town and the people in it. The council are only trying to bring in tourists to spend money in their crap hole rather than preseve Kurt Cobains memory anyway. And before all the Nirvana/Cobain haters start about them being over-rated - you're wrong. OK? Get over it. I know it's cool amongst kids to bash them nowadays what with all the talented "rock" bands like My Chemical Romance and Paramore around keeping you in check, but Nirvana were genuine rock artists with great, passionate songs.
    biohazardsrb
    rafey wrote: yes, thank god they didn't go ahead with it because kurt would've hated it. he would've said "Don't name a bridge after me because it goes against everything I am." That's EXACTLY what he would have said. trust me, i know because i've heard his music and listened to some interview clips, so i am qualified to speak on his behalf .
    is this meant to be a troll?
    rafey
    yes, thank god they didn't go ahead with it because kurt would've hated it. he would've said "Don't name a bridge after me because it goes against everything I am." That's EXACTLY what he would have said. trust me, i know because i've heard his music and listened to some interview clips, so i am qualified to speak on his behalf.
    BuffysPregnant
    Let's rename Aberdeen 'Kurt City' and have every building named after Kurt Cobain and everyone change their name to Kurt Cobain. Sounds like a great idea, right?
    HaveSomeGlue
    I don't get why you guys are always arguing on here. Kurt was a man of peace, not the kind of guy that would want his fans fighting over dumb arguments like this. Also, "Kurt Cobain Bridge"? That doesn't ring at all. Can't we just stop fighting, give the poor man some peace?
    Smokinjoerules1
    Jesus arn't there enough Kurt memorials on Earth, it's getting silly now, I wouldn't mind if it was a GOOD band...
    BuffysPregnant
    iwannabesedated wrote: First off, he never slept under that bridge. It's an urban legend.
    You haven't seen the About A Son documentary, then. He does say it himself.
    METALLICA83
    He killed himself on my first birthday lol sad though. He should be remembered so just leave it? Only reason that stupid town gets alot of visitors is because of him and the band so there goin to rename the bridge.... More than likely somethin stupid
    zomgguitarz1234
    You know with all these landmarks, they might as well ignore this bridge crap and just name the town "Cobainville" and be done with it, then they would probably stop getting proposals for dumbshit like this.
    Wisthler
    I doubt that even Kurt would have liked having a bridge with his name. Also in my personal opinion... Having Kurt in the rock'n Roll hall of fame is more than enough.....
    Igamikun
    Caribousunking wrote: Nirvana were genuine rock artists with great, passionate songs.
    Right, so that's why the admittedly ripped off the sound of the Pixies. Kurt Cobain was lyrically depressing, not talented. He also was a pretty talentless guitar player. I wish he wouldn't have killed himself because about a year after his death they would have faded away into nothingness. The only thing I can see that came out of Nirvana that was amazing is Dave Grohl. I'm not even a Foo Fighters fan, but he has some awesome talent. One of the best drummers ever, and is 1000x the guitarist Kurt ever was. Honestly Kurts death is kinda positive because the death of the band made Dave have a better purpose in life.
    RockInPeaceDime
    omgbadman wrote: Caribousunking wrote: And before all the Nirvana/Cobain haters start about them being over-rated - you're wrong. OK? Get over it. I know it's cool amongst kids to bash them nowadays what with all the talented "rock" bands like My Chemical Romance and Paramore around keeping you in check, but Nirvana were genuine rock artists with great, passionate songs. They are actually one of the most overrated bands in history. Don't kid yourself. He wasn't "deep" or "passionate" he was just depressed and a bit emo.
    Give me a break. You don't get to that level without being passionate about your music. You don't have to honor the man or respect his choices (I don't have many positive or negative feelings about Nirvana or him at all), but to pretend he was just some guy up there ****ing around on stage is silly. He clearly believed in what he was doing with his music. Do you know the absurd number of arguably mentally ill, drug-abusing musicians there have been...especially in modern Western music? I'm sure your music library has a handful of them. People think there are two cool things to do with respect to Cobain: 1) Love the **** out of him and view him as a god 2) Hate the **** out of him for whatever reason pops in your head Both positions are pretty nonsensical. He was a passionate, fairly talented individual who made some bad choices and got caught going down the wrong path. It cost him...a lot. He didn't try to blow up the world, he abused drugs and shot himself in the face. That's a call for empathy, not hate. And if you're incapable of expressing empathy for someone whose life proceeded that way, please, do feel free to check yourself into the local penitentiary and ask to be evaluated for sociopathy.
    headbang123
    Megadethfan245 wrote: I'm not shocked, most people don't want to name a bridge after a drug addict that killed himself no matter how legendary the musician was. Don't get me wrong, I love Kurt Cocaine and I love Nirvana. But I mean it kinda makes sense.
    Did you honestly just spell his last name cocaine?
    di4gram
    is every Nirvana fan 15 or something? because that is how this article's comments read
    Sparda93
    Not naming the bridge after because he was a druggie? He put a shotgun to his head and blasted his brain all over the wall(haha Testament, muhaha) and the council said no because of the drugs?? Would you rather have a bridge that promotes drugs, or suicide??
    iwannabesedated
    First off, he never slept under that bridge. It's an urban legend. Also, I don't blame Aberdeen for not naming it after him, considering he hated the town. Often called it "white trash pretending to be middle class."
    Picklelerner
    Theres something a bit ironic about a bridge being named after a guy that committed suicide.. or is that just me?
    sickassfoo
    we all love kurt cobain but come people just let it go he shouldnt be remembered by a bridge because of his misfortune time he should be remembered by his music
    fifopher
    Caribousunking wrote: Megadethfan245 wrote: I'm not shocked, most people don't want to name a bridge after a drug addict that killed himself no matter how legendary the musician was. Don't get me wrong, I love Kurt Cocaine and I love Nirvana. But I mean it kinda makes sense. Can everybody just stop with the Kurt "Cocaine" thing? It's not funny or clever and it never was. "Hur hur...Cocaine sounds like Cobain...and he did drugs...hur hur hur." Morons. Anywho, Kurt would've hated it I imagine. He hated the town and the people in it. The council are only trying to bring in tourists to spend money in their crap hole rather than preseve Kurt Cobains memory anyway. And before all the Nirvana/Cobain haters start about them being over-rated - you're wrong. OK? Get over it. I know it's cool amongst kids to bash them nowadays what with all the talented "rock" bands like My Chemical Romance and Paramore around keeping you in check, but Nirvana were genuine rock artists with great, passionate songs.
    What's the matter, Kyle? Got a little sand in your vagina?
    Ibeanez
    And before all the Nirvana/Cobain haters start about
    them being over-rated - you're wrong. OK? Get over it. I know it's cool amongst kids to bash them nowadays what with all the talented "rock" bands like My Chemical Romance and Paramore around keeping you in check, but Nirvana were genuine rock artists with great, passionate songs.
    Wrong on all counts. I'd wager that most of the people who bash Cobain are people like me who are old enough to have lived through Nirvana's rise and fall, and are old enough to know better. Nope, definitely not listening to MCR or Paramore, just a variety of musicians in a variety of styles who write and play with skill and depth, rather than ranting and rambling over juvenile garage rock.
    Trent Armitage
    redcthulhu wrote: Caribousunking wrote: Trent Armitage wrote: Kobain just called, he said we should name the bridge after him Does he want his name spelled incorrect too? On the first EP and Bleach, he spelled his name Kurdt Kobain.
    Thanks, after that post I feel even less of a dumb ass
    Brabes
    lol naming a bridge after someone who committed suicide, like naming a tower "the jihad tower"
    omgbadman
    Caribousunking wrote: And before all the Nirvana/Cobain haters start about them being over-rated - you're wrong. OK? Get over it. I know it's cool amongst kids to bash them nowadays what with all the talented "rock" bands like My Chemical Romance and Paramore around keeping you in check, but Nirvana were genuine rock artists with great, passionate songs.
    They are actually one of the most overrated bands in history. Don't kid yourself. He wasn't "deep" or "passionate" he was just depressed and a bit emo.
    TheLostOne71
    Honestly, who the **** cares. Nirvana has been gone for a long ass time, Kurt Cobain isn't here, so no one can say what his opinion on the matter is. Why turn the one place he went for solitude and to sleep into a memorial. Thats just depressing, "Oh hey, this is where Kurt Cobain slept when he was a teenager." "Lets put a ****ing statue there." Honestly...
    metalhed0294
    I love Nirvana, but Kurt Cobain was a dumbass. He killed himself. I don't care what your excuse is, killing yourself is idiotic, and people who kill themselves are just as bad as people who kill other people. Therefore, Kurt does not have my sympathy, and I'm glad this bridge wasn't renamed.
    DarkieBC
    dollyDagger : could you imagine how many people would jump off this bridge.
    Indeed.
    hereticfive
    yasman88 wrote: How can you say theres nothing wrong with doing drugs? Caffeine is a drug but don't compare it with heroin -- thats the stupidest comparison I've seen. To say that 'everyone does drugs so we should all accept it as a social norm' is complete bullshit. If we want to honor someone, make it someone who sets a good example for the younger generation, to strive to become excellent and not someone who tells our kids "hey if you can't deal with your problem, heres some smack and a gun". I'm a huge fan of Nirvana -- but not of Kurt Cobain. He might be a great musician (just like Hitler was a great leader) but he wasn't a good role model.
    Well said!
    PsiGuy60
    Cobain would look down on that bridge and be pissed if it bore his name. Plus, it was already mentioned in at least one song - the bigger tribute would be to keep the name as is, in my opinion, and then have a placque before the bridge stating "Young Street Bridge, as sung about by Kurt Cobain" or something.
    Tag43
    Caribousunking wrote: Trent Armitage wrote: Kobain just called, he said we should name the bridge after him Does he want his name spelled incorrect too?
    Liner notes in Nevermind say that Kurt Cobain spelt his name several ways.
    GREENWARRI0R
    Holy crap, this is ridiculous. I will never understand how some second rate guitarist in a decent band can become so revered. What has this man done for music? I mean, I respect the guy and the band, but I can't stand when people put any musician on a pedestal.
    Jaw Knee
    Caribousunking wrote: Megadethfan245 wrote: I'm not shocked, most people don't want to name a bridge after a drug addict that killed himself no matter how legendary the musician was. Don't get me wrong, I love Kurt Cocaine and I love Nirvana. But I mean it kinda makes sense. Can everybody just stop with the Kurt "Cocaine" thing? It's not funny or clever and it never was. "Hur hur...Cocaine sounds like Cobain...and he did drugs...hur hur hur." Morons. Anywho, Kurt would've hated it I imagine. He hated the town and the people in it. The council are only trying to bring in tourists to spend money in their crap hole rather than preseve Kurt Cobains memory anyway. And before all the Nirvana/Cobain haters start about them being over-rated - you're wrong. OK? Get over it. I know it's cool amongst kids to bash them nowadays what with all the talented "rock" bands like My Chemical Romance and Paramore around keeping you in check, but Nirvana were genuine rock artists with great, passionate songs.
    This is really funny since Smells Like Teen Spirit is the most over-played song I think the last century has ever heard. Kurt admitted that a lot of his songs never really actually had this thing you call "meaning" which, I'm not surprised. "All the flowers have gingivitis?" Seriously? "We can plant a house, we can build a tree?" Sounds more to me like another meth head trying to be clever. If you think what he wrote was beautiful, then maybe you should pay more attention to a real lyricist who writes REALLY meaningful songs instead of this washed up, overrated grungy punk rock bullshit.
    FlamingForce
    Caribousunking wrote: Iommianity wrote: Caribousunking wrote: Megadethfan245 wrote: I'm not shocked, most people don't want to name a bridge after a drug addict that killed himself no matter how legendary the musician was. Don't get me wrong, I love Kurt Cocaine and I love Nirvana. But I mean it kinda makes sense. Can everybody just stop with the Kurt "Cocaine" thing? It's not funny or clever and it never was. "Hur hur...Cocaine sounds like Cobain...and he did drugs...hur hur hur." Morons. Anywho, Kurt would've hated it I imagine. He hated the town and the people in it. The council are only trying to bring in tourists to spend money in their crap hole rather than preseve Kurt Cobains memory anyway. And before all the Nirvana/Cobain haters start about them being over-rated - you're wrong. OK? Get over it. I know it's cool amongst kids to bash them nowadays what with all the talented "rock" bands like My Chemical Romance and Paramore around keeping you in check, but Nirvana were genuine rock artists with great, passionate songs. You realize that if someone tells you Nirvana were overrated, they're giving you an opinion, right? And you also realize that when you tell someone that their opinion is wrong, as if Nirvana are objectively good, you look like a total douche, right? Didn't know Kurt, but I'm pretty sure he'd find that kind of hyperbole to be bullshit. Seems like you're the only one who needs to get over 'it'. Some people don't like Nirvana, and some people have strong opinions. I honestly can't picture Kurt being more annoyed by a bridge than by some of his own overzealous fanbase. I was waiting for this response. I agree that music, or anything for that matter, is subjective. But i'm tired of whiney non-nirvana fans who insult Cobain so it was a comment for them. For the clever folk amongst us, I appreciate that no opinion is right nor wrong. I also realise I stooped to their level to stress my point, however, you have to liaise to people on their level to get your point across. Anyway champ, I'll let you get back to listening to MCR.
    ROFL the hypocrism.
    GREENWARRI0R
    wjd329 wrote: And I'm not a "young 90's grunge fan"....I'm 30 years old and just so happened to live through the time when music was actually good. I've got more albums than a used record store because I have such a desire to find new and interesting music and all I can say is that I can't find jack shit in today's lineup of mainstream crap, and so I keep going back and listening to music that came out at a time when rock music was good and important. It's interesting..in an age when music is so easily accessible (the Internet), it's disgusting how today's pussy rock bands are like puppets for their record labels...only delivering what the label wants to hear. Back in the "90's grunge era" bands did whatever the **** they wanted to and it shows in the music. That's why it was the best, in my opinion.
    I find it sadder that in this day and age you can't find amazing bands that are putting out fantastic work right here, right now in the present. Seriously, do yourself a favor: stop living in the past and do a little digging.