Lamb Of God Frontman Says Metal Subgenre Labels Are Stupid As F--k

Lamb Of God frontman Randy Blythe is furious over the naming of sub-genres of metal, saying they're all attempts to disguise lack of creativity.

Lamb Of God Frontman Says Metal Subgenre Labels Are Stupid As F--k
8
Lamb Of God frontman Randy Blythe is furious over the naming of sub-genres of metal, saying they're all attempts to disguise lack of creativity. Asked what he thinks of the djent movement he says: "The stupidest name yet for another genre. If you call yourself djent' cap yourself now. There is no such f--king thing as djent. It's not a genre. I'm sorry, it's stupid as f--k." "All this bullsh-t deathcore, djentcore and f--king can't-play-in-real-life-but-can-on-a-computer-core. It's just a name. People can call themselves whatever they want. It's fucking heavy metal." "This sub-classifying sh-t is a pathetic attempt to say that you are reinventing the wheel. You're not. It's f--king heavy metal. Get over it." Thanks for the report to RockNewsDesk.com.

69 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    metallica144
    don't agree with him. there's nothing wrong with sub-genres. though i must agree that some labels are stupid
    Agent 00Awesome
    Just cause LOG gets labeled metalcore so much, doesn't mean he needs to bitch. Metal DOES has sub genres, as does every genre of music. Its not all the same, thus there are sub genres. Stop crying dude.
    BigMikeBDD
    He's right...it's all pathetic. Metal is metal. Most metal bands listen to weaker metal and most weak metal bands listen to heavy stuff. Of course then Rob Zombie listens to classical. Nobody is better than the other, just listen to what you like.
    N-D
    Only bad metal subgenre label I know is "djent" - all another are good)))
    jkubed
    never heard of djent. But yeah, I'm sick of people arguing if a band is metalcore, deatchcore, crabcore, seriously, does it freaking matter? It's better than pop crap, and that's all I need.
    Korgull
    link no1 wrote: He is 100% right. I don't know if it has allways happened but at least within the last few years there has been at least 50 new subgenres of metal flying around (that I can name), most of them ending in 'core':- -Deathcore -Grindcore -Mathcore -Crabcore -Pop core -Skacore -Hardcore -Djent Most of them are bullshit names that they come up with because "our music is new, nobody has done this before" attitude every band seems to have these days, when in reallity most of them can be put into Death Metal or Metalcore. Seriously, everyband now thinks they are the NWOBHM or something when in reality, they ain't so special. On metalcore, it is really the only recent subgenre that makes some sort of sense = it isn't a bullshit one. Pretty much all of these subgenres are just, not neeeded. We already had a huge list of Subgenres that pretty much every band I hear fits into :- -Thrash -Death -Prog -Neo Classical The list is endless. If your band does not fit into a real subgenre that actually has big differences (I.E Death metal vs Powermetal) then your band is either A) A musical God send and truly deserves a new genre to lable this new style of musical genius B) A bunch of guys that are not that special who write average songs and need to realise they probably fit into Death metal. Unless every metal band in the past 3 years is a musical genius, i'm going with option B. Also, as far as I can gather, Djent is just death metal with really low tuned guitars and vocals with 95% of their songs consisting of noise and blastbeats. Isn't this just a really bad Death metal band? Does that deserve a genre? End note Korgull wrote: Nu-Metal is nothing more than crappy Alternative Rock with a bit more distortion. You don't need to nitpick over it to realize there is nothing Metal about it, you just need to know a little something about Metal. Simple. Next you'll be trying to tell me Glam Metal is Metal, despite it being nothing more than Hard Rock and Pop Rock that has nothing AT ALL to do with Metal. Slipknot is alternative rock? Glam Metal is nothing but Hard Rock and Pop Rock? When telling other people to learn about metal don't make stupid points. All the genres you mentioned have big differences between them that most people can point out easily. Also don't tell people to learn something about metal. Makes you sound like an ass. It's a music style, not a qualifaction.
    "Don't make stupid points", says the guy who thinks Grindcore and Hardcore should be grouped with other stupid made-up genres. (None of which are EVER considered Metal sub-genres) Hardcore Punk was around since before Thrash Metal. Grindcore is one of the main influences of Death Metal. BOTH those genres have been solidified genres since the 80's. How is Glam Metal NOT Hard Rock/Pop Rock? Have you heard any of them? Most of them are less hard than KISS, and most people call THEM Pop Rock. And the closest thing to Metal that any Nu-Metal has, is the VERY small Groove Metal influence (A la Pantera, so it's simplistic and doesn't require much thought or talent). But there is absolutely nothing else Metal about it, and you could not, in any way, link bands like Slipknot or KoRn back to Black Sabbath. A music style with a long history, practically it's own sub-culture, and tens of thousands of bands. It requires learning.
    davem27
    i agree with him. bands who label themselves as a subgenre try too hard to make all the songs sound like that particular subgenre...and then all the songs sound the same. just play your ****ing music, labels are stupid.
    rattleurhead
    Sub genres are kind of necessary for something as diverse as heavy metal, although some sub genres are stupid. Gore-metal? No, it's death metal with gory lyrics. Viking metal? NO! Its heavy metal with lyrics about norse mythology!
    Korgull
    darkfire_storm wrote: Lamb Of God Frontman Says Metal Subgenre Labels Are Stupid As F--k this. seriously. ****ing pisses me off so much when someone's so nitpicky about a band, being like, "oh this band isn't metal, it's nu metal." metal's in the name dude, get over yourself.
    Just because Metal is in the name doesn't mean anything. Nu-Metal is nothing more than crappy Alternative Rock with a bit more distortion. You don't need to nitpick over it to realize there is nothing Metal about it, you just need to know a little something about Metal. Simple. Next you'll be trying to tell me Glam Metal is Metal, despite it being nothing more than Hard Rock and Pop Rock that has nothing AT ALL to do with Metal.
    nigeltheginger
    I would say that, as much as I love LoG, I think he's being a bit of a bellend. I'm no djent expert (I only listen to Periphery and Red Seas Fire) but it's one of those things where I don't really think they fall into any other bracket, hence the need for the new sub-genre name, as ridiculous as it may be
    napsterfire
    What type of person gets so worked up over something as insignificant like a label to a genre of music? Who cares. The MUSIC is what matters.
    JakeFreeman256
    I love Randy Blythe. Couldn't agree more. I listen to all this shit, "deathcore", "metalcore", "djent", and I love all of it BECAUSE no matter how you look at it, it's metal. It's like what genre a band falls into now is more important than their music. It's ****ing retarded.
    Burgery
    Metal sub-genres are not stupid. They're there for a reason. And Randy Blythe sounds like a pig.
    Pagan_Poetry
    korbhag wrote: Djent is amazing. Try to write a good album (unlike your last one) and then maybe I'll listen to what you have to say.
    You did listen (or read) because you concluded that he was wrong about Djent. You didn't agree but you still paid attention. Also, with this logic, that's like saying "Oh this team didn't win their last game therefor they know nothing about the sport so I won't listen to what they think about the sport". Some subgenres are ok. Death Metal and Progressive Metal are not the same. They can be mixed, sure, but not the same. I agree with the small, really tedious genres though. What the hell is nintendocore? Just because it has nintendo sounds or themes? You don't call bands with movie clips in their songs moviecore. Not necessary. Also, nu metal and rap metal? Just broaden the one label and include both because chances are fans of one will be fans of the other. There's a fine line between differentiating between artists and being a total secluded elitist. Most of these obscure stupid labels come from those who are too embarrassed to like a band of one genre, or one that feels intimidated by a genre that isn't "true metal". I don't like Lamb of God and I think Randy needs to broaden his vocabulary, but he's right. Djent? May be good but the exclusive subgenre is NOT needed, since most of the bands under that "genre" fall under other ones. It's all a inferiority complex that elitist morons have.
    slaveskinJACKET
    You know what's more annoying that sub-genre labels that don't make much sense? Unoriginal Phil Anselmo clones. ...especially when all they do is scream-rap. But at least Phil Anselmo could actually sing, and, for the first few albums, there was a pretty nice mix of screaming and singing. It hadn't been done much before that, either. WAAAIIIII DOOOOHHHHH LIIIII LAAAAAM AA GAAAAARd!!! --that was my Randy Blythe impression. But at least I've never heard him try to do the Phil Anselmo talking like Corey Taylor and Ivan Moody do all the time. But I've never listened to much Lamb of God, so I'm sure it's in there somewhere. Also, I think Lamb of God kind of need a sub-genre, especially if they want to be able to hold their own. They might stand out in their own sub-genre, but if you just lump it all together as 'metal', they would fade into obscurity, due to their incredibly generic modern metal. They could never hold their own compared to great metal bands, such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Pantera, Metallica, the many incarnations of Dio, etc., etc.
    Shayne777
    I couldn't agree more with this guy and I don't even like LOG but really almost every time goes off about what sub-genre their band it always just seems to come off as them trying to sell their image to me not their music here's a little math you can use in your daily life the amount of time someone talks about their sub-genre + however special they are trying to make it sound = how big a loser that person is
    rockstaralex24
    I have to agree and disagree at the same time. A lot of the sub genres are fairly close with minor discrepancies(which should be expected because its different people making music...if every band sounded exactly alike, there would be no point) ... its like crossover vehicles, its either a small SUV/Minivan or its a tall Station Wagon, get over it. And to be honest, if 90s genre's like Grunge and Nu-metal were as picky about labeling each sound, there would be a billion different sub genres. think about it, compare some grunge bands (Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots)... each is so different from the next ....and Nu-metal is even further!!!! the only commonality between bands like (Slipknot, Korn, Deftones, Linkin Park, and Disturbed) is that there is some form of rap style vocals in it... other than that they are on totally different planets... if anything they nu-metal is just another form of progressive metal (except maybe disturbed)!!! I think it would be safe to say that we can get by with putting bands like Killswitch Engage, Hatebreed, Bring me the Horizon, Avenged Sevenfold, and Lamb of God all into Metalcore (which -like Nu-Metal- is a broad crossover genre combining different aspects of Heavy Metal and Hardcore Punk) ...and to the ignorant twat who will reply "doh, nu-metal sucks, it isnt metal, doh" im sorry you hate a genre with some of the most unique metal/rock bands the world has seen (im ignoring all the crappy copycats who ruined the genre) Thank you
    link no1
    He is 100% right. I don't know if it has allways happened but at least within the last few years there has been at least 50 new subgenres of metal flying around (that I can name), most of them ending in 'core':- -Deathcore -Grindcore -Mathcore -Crabcore -Pop core -Skacore -Hardcore -Djent Most of them are bullshit names that they come up with because "our music is new, nobody has done this before" attitude every band seems to have these days, when in reallity most of them can be put into Death Metal or Metalcore. Seriously, everyband now thinks they are the NWOBHM or something when in reality, they ain't so special. On metalcore, it is really the only recent subgenre that makes some sort of sense = it isn't a bullshit one. Pretty much all of these subgenres are just, not neeeded. We already had a huge list of Subgenres that pretty much every band I hear fits into :- -Thrash -Death -Prog -Neo Classical The list is endless. If your band does not fit into a real subgenre that actually has big differences (I.E Death metal vs Powermetal) then your band is either A) A musical God send and truly deserves a new genre to lable this new style of musical genius B) A bunch of guys that are not that special who write average songs and need to realise they probably fit into Death metal. Unless every metal band in the past 3 years is a musical genius, i'm going with option B. Also, as far as I can gather, Djent is just death metal with really low tuned guitars and vocals with 95% of their songs consisting of noise and blastbeats. Isn't this just a really bad Death metal band? Does that deserve a genre? End note
    Korgull wrote: Nu-Metal is nothing more than crappy Alternative Rock with a bit more distortion. You don't need to nitpick over it to realize there is nothing Metal about it, you just need to know a little something about Metal. Simple. Next you'll be trying to tell me Glam Metal is Metal, despite it being nothing more than Hard Rock and Pop Rock that has nothing AT ALL to do with Metal.
    Slipknot is alternative rock? Glam Metal is nothing but Hard Rock and Pop Rock? When telling other people to learn about metal don't make stupid points. All the genres you mentioned have big differences between them that most people can point out easily. Also don't tell people to learn something about metal. Makes you sound like an ass. It's a music style, not a qualifaction.
    PetrucciRocks
    I agree with him. There are good and bad bands. Subgenres do exist for a good reason to a point, but when it stops someone from listening to a good band because they're labeled deathcore, subgenres are a joke.
    SGofawesome
    Korgull wrote: link no1 wrote: He is 100% right. I don't know if it has allways happened but at least within the last few years there has been at least 50 new subgenres of metal flying around (that I can name), most of them ending in 'core':- -Deathcore -Grindcore -Mathcore -Crabcore -Pop core -Skacore -Hardcore -Djent Most of them are bullshit names that they come up with because "our music is new, nobody has done this before" attitude every band seems to have these days, when in reallity most of them can be put into Death Metal or Metalcore. Seriously, everyband now thinks they are the NWOBHM or something when in reality, they ain't so special. On metalcore, it is really the only recent subgenre that makes some sort of sense = it isn't a bullshit one. Pretty much all of these subgenres are just, not neeeded. We already had a huge list of Subgenres that pretty much every band I hear fits into :- -Thrash -Death -Prog -Neo Classical The list is endless. If your band does not fit into a real subgenre that actually has big differences (I.E Death metal vs Powermetal) then your band is either A) A musical God send and truly deserves a new genre to lable this new style of musical genius B) A bunch of guys that are not that special who write average songs and need to realise they probably fit into Death metal. Unless every metal band in the past 3 years is a musical genius, i'm going with option B. Also, as far as I can gather, Djent is just death metal with really low tuned guitars and vocals with 95% of their songs consisting of noise and blastbeats. Isn't this just a really bad Death metal band? Does that deserve a genre? End note Korgull wrote: Nu-Metal is nothing more than crappy Alternative Rock with a bit more distortion. You don't need to nitpick over it to realize there is nothing Metal about it, you just need to know a little something about Metal. Simple. Next you'll be trying to tell me Glam Metal is Metal, despite it being nothing more than Hard Rock and Pop Rock that has nothing AT ALL to do with Metal. Slipknot is alternative rock? Glam Metal is nothing but Hard Rock and Pop Rock? When telling other people to learn about metal don't make stupid points. All the genres you mentioned have big differences between them that most people can point out easily. Also don't tell people to learn something about metal. Makes you sound like an ass. It's a music style, not a qualifaction. "Don't make stupid points", says the guy who thinks Grindcore and Hardcore should be grouped with other stupid made-up genres. (None of which are EVER considered Metal sub-genres) Hardcore Punk was around since before Thrash Metal. Grindcore is one of the main influences of Death Metal. BOTH those genres have been solidified genres since the 80's. How is Glam Metal NOT Hard Rock/Pop Rock? Have you heard any of them? Most of them are less hard than KISS, and most people call THEM Pop Rock. And the closest thing to Metal that any Nu-Metal has, is the VERY small Groove Metal influence (A la Pantera, so it's simplistic and doesn't require much thought or talent). But there is absolutely nothing else Metal about it, and you could not, in any way, link bands like Slipknot or KoRn back to Black Sabbath. A music style with a long history, practically it's own sub-culture, and tens of thousands of bands. It requires learning.
    Korgull wins. Except that he called Pantera simple.
    Bassmanjack
    I assume Randy's dissing the LABEL Djent not the actual bands themselves otherwise that's a bit uncalled for. I don't really want to touch the term Djent mostly because it sounds stupid and puts an unnecessary label on metal bands. It would be a little out of line for Randy to bashing the likes of Meshuggah but I assume he just highly disapproves the term Djent.
    goingnowhere21
    I guess I can see what he's saying with the whole "reinventing the wheel" thing. But really though, how many bands actually do that? The subgenres are needed. Are you going to tell me Mastodon, A Day to Remember, and Motley Crue are similar because they happen to fall in the metal genre?
    son_of_bodom
    I love Randy Blythe, but he's just plain wrong. sub genres have a purpose. I wouldn't put trivium next to iron maiden.
    Corey-Dallas
    well i love LoG and Randy is IMO a very talented lyricist and screamer. i like the band; i didn't use to but there you go. BUT isn't "new wave of american heavy metal" a subgenre? and isn't LoG a big part of that subgenre?
    haosaashole
    Well, sunbgenres are good in that you actually might wanna find some other bands who play similar metal to others, and subgenres help a shitton with that. What if you had found an awesome thrash metal band but didn't know the genre and couldn't find others? Well that's just poopy.
    ds24601
    Might be a stupid question but since I'm obviously not up with the metal scene at the moment... WHAT THE FUCK IS DJENT?
    Onslaught_Fei
    The 6 rules of the 6 main genres and 6 main fusion genres. Rule 1) Don't be an ass and correct misuse of a sub-genre over the internet and especially in person. Rule 2) Do not use sub-genres pretentiously. Rule 3) Avoid hair splitting sub-sub-genres. Realize many so called (subsub-genres are merely "scenes" and not actual genres but are good to turn people on when discussing certain techniques, eras or movements. (NWOBHM, Cascadian black metal, d-beat, DJENT etc...) Rule 4) The main genres are: Heavy Metal Doom Metal Power Metal Thrash Metal Black Metal Death Metal And the Fusion/peripheral genres: Heavy Rock Progressive Metal Grindcore Folk Metal Alternative Metal Metalcore Rule 5) When discussing metal with someone with HIGH EXPOSURE and is in audiophile grade knowledge, feel free to break it down into sub-sub-genres: Heavy Metal (Speed Metal, Heavy Psych, Epic Metal etc) Doom Metal (Stoner Metal, Sludge, Drone, etc) Power Metal (Melodic Power, Symphonic Metal, Powershred etc) Thrash Metal (Groove Metal, Crossover, Tech thrash, etc) Black Metal (First Wave, Blackgaze, Pagan Black Metal, etc) Death Metal (Brutal Death, Tech Death, Melodeath, etc) And the Fusion/peripheral genres: Heavy Rock (Hair Metal, Shock Rock, Power Ballad, etc) Progressive Metal (Neoclassical, Avant-Garde, Heavy Prog etc) Grindcore (Deathgrind, Goregrind, Noisegrind, etc) Folk Metal (Balkan Folk Metal, Celtic Folk Metal, Viking Metal, etc) Alternative Metal (Gothic Metal, Numetal, Industrial Metal, etc) Metalcore (Groovecore, Deathcore, Melodic Metalcore, etc) Rule 6) Subgenres are guides. When trying to guide or converse with someone KNOW THE LEVEL OF EXPOSURE they are at. If they think Metal started in the early 80s with NWOBHM and disregard the original wave of British heavy metal then you know you are possibly dealing with someone from the Slipknot generation so talking about old metal acts like Seompi, Budgie, Icecross, Sir Lord Baltimore, or Lucifer's Friend and correcting their mis-use of thrash metal is not advised. Arguing with someone at this level is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded.
    moparhead
    stupid as metalcore.i recognise only heavy,thrash,speed,death and folk metal.
    Downfault
    I understand that when it comes down to it, it is all metal music(which is actually a subgenre of rock)but I can see the relevance in having sub genres. Take human beings for example, we are all humans but we come from different ethnicities, nationalities and cultures making it easier to distinquish.
    rockstaralex24
    moparhead wrote: stupid as metalcore.i recognise only heavy,thrash,speed,death and folk metal.
    ...this is why i hate most metal fans... but i love metal more, so i suck it up
    jules38
    It is nice to have a little bit of classification, so when you say metal people don't think you are talking about iron maiden. They can know what sound of metal you are talking about. We can all agree metal has a wide amount of very distinct sounds, so why not sub divide it?
    xzxw
    But thats like putting Iron Maiden next to Death and saying they are the same genre. Or putting Priest in the same category as Mayhem. Or matching Slayer and...Nightwish and saying the are the same. LOG is a death metal/groove metal band.
    true_bacon22
    Agent 00Awesome wrote: Just cause LOG gets labeled metalcore so much, doesn't mean he needs to bitch. Metal DOES has sub genres, as does every genre of music. Its not all the same, thus there are sub genres. Stop crying dude.
    Tr00f
    Krieger91
    Pagan_Poetry wrote: korbhag wrote: Djent is amazing. Try to write a good album (unlike your last one) and then maybe I'll listen to what you have to say. You did listen (or read) because you concluded that he was wrong about Djent. You didn't agree but you still paid attention. Also, with this logic, that's like saying "Oh this team didn't win their last game therefor they know nothing about the sport so I won't listen to what they think about the sport". Some subgenres are ok. Death Metal and Progressive Metal are not the same. They can be mixed, sure, but not the same. I agree with the small, really tedious genres though. What the hell is nintendocore? Just because it has nintendo sounds or themes? You don't call bands with movie clips in their songs moviecore . Not necessary. Also, nu metal and rap metal? Just broaden the one label and include both because chances are fans of one will be fans of the other. There's a fine line between differentiating between artists and being a total secluded elitist. Most of these obscure stupid labels come from those who are too embarrassed to like a band of one genre, or one that feels intimidated by a genre that isn't "true metal". I don't like Lamb of God and I think Randy needs to broaden his vocabulary, but he's right. Djent? May be good but the exclusive subgenre is NOT needed, since most of the bands under that "genre" fall under other ones. It's all a inferiority complex that elitist morons have.
    I'm going to make band that uses recording of pidgeons and call it pidgeon-core. I also agree with the first thing you said..for the big ones, in which there are enough differences to label it differently, then yes..but for the little tiny things like that.. Like Randy said, it's just heavy metal, maybe with a small thing stuck in as an intro or whatever, but still heavy metal.
    CaptainDan748
    Core genres confuse me, and I don't really seem to like any of them and they all sound kind of similar to me. Going to wiki do discover the meaning of crabcore.