Led Zeppelin: 'Stairway To Heaven' Is Britain's Best Rock Song

Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" has been named the UK's favourite rock song.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
3

Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" has been named the UK's favourite rock song.

Released in 1971, it was one of three tracks by the band which made the top 10 in a poll by radio station Absolute Classic Rock.

The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" missed out on the top spot to reach second place, while Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" settled for third.

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones secured ninth and tenth place with "Revolution" and "Gimme Shelter" respectively.

01. Led Zeppelin - "Stairway To Heaven" 02. The Who - "Won"t Get Fooled Again" 03. Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody" 04. Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love" 05. Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water" 06. The Who - "Baba O' Reilly" 07. Led Zeppelin - "Rock 'n' Roll" 08. Free - "All Right Now" 09. The Beatles - "Revolution" 10. The Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter"

Thanks for the report to Digitalspy.

150 comments sorted by best / new / date

    tands
    bluesnd63 wrote: PatVanHalen5150 wrote: One of the most overrated songs of all time. Whats wrong Brits? No room for Maiden, Priest or Sabbath? If you knew anything about music you wouldnt be saying that. When you listen to Stairway it is flawless in every way.
    its true man, kill your ego and go listen to stairway again and hear its perfection, if you don't like that song your just jealous that you can't come close to it
    Beergarette
    As much as I love heavy metal, I have to say this list is pretty damn decent. As someone mentioned, those songs are pretty much textbook rock and roll.
    Melkord
    Jhnny wrote: Most overrated song from the most overrated band in the world, nice... I never understood what's so special in that song, and I will never understand. Yeah yeah I know, I don't know anything about music because your opininon is the only correct one, and when I listen to the song I realize that it's a masterpiece etc etc. But sorry fanboys, not everyone is a fanboy. Stairway is just a normal acoustic ballad at the beginning and a typical boring Hard Rock song at the end... The best song in the world? If it is, then there's something wrong with our world. And yes, the article was about Britains best Rock songs, not the best songs in the world, but Stairway has many times been voted as the best Rock song in the world... All the other songs in the list are okay, but Stairway is just so overrated that it makes me sick.
    proven fact that your opinion sucks, I have the formula if you need proof.
    tands
    Eirien wrote: I am a big Zeppelin fan but Rock 'n' Roll does NOT deserve to be in that list. Every time the album version of that song comes on I have to leave the room. The bass (or maybe the guitars and vocals) is horribly out of tune, and I can't understand how anyone can put up with it.
    your tone deaf maybe
    NukeSpoon
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: bluesnd63 wrote: If you knew anything about music you wouldnt be saying that. When you listen to Stairway it is flawless in every way. Not quite. Everybody rants and raves about how Stairway contains the greatest guitar solo ever. I can name 20 now that sound better and are more technical. I'm not denying that it's a good song, it's a damn good song. But it is highly overrated.
    This is probably the only goddamn comment here which doesn't make me want to scratch my face off.
    devotion
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: One of the most overrated songs of all time. Whats wrong Brits? No room for Maiden, Priest or Sabbath?
    thanks for the laugh
    thrash-it-up
    ''Stairway To Heaven' Is Britain's Best Rock Song' ^thats not news! its obvious, should be world's best
    Taargus
    Stairway to Heaven is the world`s best rock song. Britain just so happens to be where it`s from.
    hazydavy
    I'll say it...Stairway is there because it deserves to be there. It may not be technically perfect, but the emotion it conveys in the solo (which is what one person pointed out) comes across more perfectly than any other in history. Great no. 1. The rest is up for grabs and debate.
    Bingt
    3 nominations for zeppelin? i agree, stairway is definiatly #1, but Rock n Roll isn't even that well known. I think if there should be a 3rd zep song there it should've been Kashmir.
    maxitronco
    98Timberwolf wrote: Mobes52 wrote: What does that Asian guy in the picture have to do with Led Zeppelin? Lol. I'm kind of surprised AC/DC isn't in there.
    really? it says rock.. and AC/DC is "heavy metal".. AC/DC sucks anyway.. u cant compare it with led zeppelin Every different person will have a different "Top ten" that's why every human being is different
    bluesnd63
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: One of the most overrated songs of all time. Whats wrong Brits? No room for Maiden, Priest or Sabbath?
    If you knew anything about music you wouldnt be saying that. When you listen to Stairway it is flawless in every way.
    Phycopath09
    Thank you. I hate it when people say that such a good song is overrated.
    robpe36 wrote: Stairway is not overrated. Overplayed and maybe tired, yes, but not overrated.
    waysay
    This article sure generated a lot of flack! I feel it a good list. Every one of these songs have been overplayed to death. I personally don't want to hear any of them at my houseparty, but...thats not to say I didn't love them all at one time or another.
    AimToLeave
    Cielofunk wrote: It's a poll for a favourite song, not best, not greatest, just favourite. Way to go UG
    Hit it straight on the nose. I don't know why everyone is so worked up over an OPINION POLL. And what's more it's for CLASSIC rock, which means no metal, no Floyd (because they're considered progressive), and as such neither would be played on the station the poll was conducted through. Also any comments about Stairway or "this should be #1!1! wtf!!1" are pointless because this poll is the result of what the group of Britains polled thought.
    Nirvana_RATM2
    robpe36 wrote: Stairway is not overrated. Overplayed and maybe tired, yes, but not overrated.
    You hit it, it is overplayed but the song is truly beautiful.
    justahumn
    The Stones at #10, behind Free and Deep Purple...The UK n's should be ashamed!!!!Love the Who, Led Zepplin,Queen...the Beatles! they been dead for 40 years. At worst The Stones at #2
    Baconfish
    Grohlism wrote: 8. All Right Now - never heard of it in my life, must be a typo.
    I'm fairly sure you have seeing as it's been in an arseload of films and adverts over the years.
    robpe36
    Stairway is not overrated. Overplayed and maybe tired, yes, but not overrated.
    R8:31b
    Stairway @ #1? no way, its quite overrated, I personally think that "The Rain Song" is a much better listen to then Stairway but Stairway does have a Guitar solo so I guess that means its more Rock 'n Roll :/ And Yeah WTF No Floyd? Gimme a break, some one was definitely sniffing paint when they came up with this list.
    PatVanHalen5150
    One of the most overrated songs of all time. Whats wrong Brits? No room for Maiden, Priest or Sabbath?
    BrixDK
    GN'R Dude wrote: Nameless742 wrote: badfish2829 wrote: Sadly, no Floyd. What's wrong with them? Yeah, no floyd = fail. Maybe if they said albums, but as far as individual songs only Comfortably Numb could be right up there.
    Money, Wish You Were Here, Another Brick in the Wall? Even though they are an album oriented band, they have put out some pretty timeless singles, and are with out a doubt one of the most influential rock bands of all time. List's are a waste of time anyway, brings out the worst
    KileManA7X
    Grohlism wrote: Apejack Cuba wrote: boreamor wrote: Apejack Cuba wrote: That's not necessarily indicative of quality. Isn't it? I do not know many Iron Maiden songs, even though I've listened to most of their albums. Black Sabbath would bore me. And even though I like very few of the songs on the list, I think they're worth the rating better than most songs you can list. Allow me to rephrase something you said: How many Jonas Brothers songs would come onto a radio and people would instantly know it? A lot. But does that ensure their quality? Most people on here would dispute this. I don't know any Jonas Brothers songs and as far as I know, yes, everyone hates them. xiempie wrote: Good list, although for me Bohemian Rhapsody is #1 No, but I guess someone was going to say this. trooperboots wrote: Stairway. One of the greatest ever songs ever writen by one of the greatest bands that have ever existed. But i would say the song itself is easy listening not rock. I think you've maybe mistaken Led Zeppelin for someone else. jrcsgtpeppers wrote: Why revolution? There are hundreds of better beatle songs than that... Whats up with the led zeppelin hate on ultimate guitar. I mena, stairway is the #1 tab on this site. I dont get it. Stairway is like rocks most famous song. You cant even play it in certain parts on the world because of its popularity. How can it be overrated? Its a beautiful song that was made to perfection. This. Another thing I'm confused about is how exactly The Jimi Hendrix Experience were British.
    Jimi Hendrix himself was American but the rest of the original members of the band were British and he got "famous" originally in England.
    jannick
    ultimate-slash wrote: stevezy wrote: Jimmy Jal wrote: 98Timberwolf wrote: Mobes52 wrote: What does that Asian guy in the picture have to do with Led Zeppelin? Lol. I'm kind of surprised AC/DC isn't in there. AC/DC isn't British. They are an Australian band but all but one are not from Australia. Malcolm, Angus, and Bon Scott are Scottish. Brian Johnson, and Cliff Wiliams are English. Phil Rudd (drummer) is the only current member of this most recent and longest running line-up of AC/DC who is a native Aussie...so a significant argument could be made that AC/DC is a British band...as much as they or any of their fans will deny it. Angus, Malcolm and Bon moved to Australia at a young age and gained an Australian identity, therefore they are Australian, born in Scotland, yes, but still Australian and not British. Also, they formed in Australia, so it's pretty hard to say that they are British.
    acotually... the young brothers are originally from wales... but if they were british they would fill out every list like this one
    due 07
    Won't Get Fooled Again is the most god-awful piece of crap that The Who have ever produced.
    geekgangstaguy
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience is the greatest British rock band and I believe All Along the Watchtower should have been #1. A lot of you guys talk about how emotional the Stairway solo is, but Watchtower has better technicality AND emotion. And, Jimi is far better, in my opinion, than Jimmy Page. Btw, don't flame because Jimi was born in America. The Jimi Hendrix is British.
    Grohlism
    Apejack Cuba wrote: boreamor wrote: Apejack Cuba wrote: That's not necessarily indicative of quality. Isn't it? I do not know many Iron Maiden songs, even though I've listened to most of their albums. Black Sabbath would bore me. And even though I like very few of the songs on the list, I think they're worth the rating better than most songs you can list. Allow me to rephrase something you said: How many Jonas Brothers songs would come onto a radio and people would instantly know it? A lot. But does that ensure their quality? Most people on here would dispute this.
    I don't know any Jonas Brothers songs and as far as I know, yes, everyone hates them.
    xiempie wrote: Good list, although for me Bohemian Rhapsody is #1
    No, but I guess someone was going to say this.
    trooperboots wrote: Stairway. One of the greatest ever songs ever writen by one of the greatest bands that have ever existed. But i would say the song itself is easy listening not rock.
    I think you've maybe mistaken Led Zeppelin for someone else.
    jrcsgtpeppers wrote: Why revolution? There are hundreds of better beatle songs than that... Whats up with the led zeppelin hate on ultimate guitar. I mena, stairway is the #1 tab on this site. I dont get it. Stairway is like rocks most famous song. You cant even play it in certain parts on the world because of its popularity. How can it be overrated? Its a beautiful song that was made to perfection.
    This. Another thing I'm confused about is how exactly The Jimi Hendrix Experience were British.
    KileManA7X
    Surely there is a mistake. Everyone knows Supper's Ready by Genesis is the greatest British song of all time. Someone re-do this article!
    Wakisazhi
    jannick wrote: badfish2829 wrote: Sadly, no Floyd. What's wrong with them? Floyd?? you have GOT to be joking. and about maiden, priest and sabbath? best british bands but still a little too narrowed style and genre to be most popular.
    Uh no, Comfortably Numb pretty much is more iconic in British "rock" music than anything maiden and pries have done. What you're going to pull an Iron Man or a Paranoid out your ass? Other than that the rest of Sabbath's stuff falls below the radar on most classic rock stations and I'd be certain this one would be no exception. Meanwhile there are definitely quite a few brilliant Floyd songs that seem to be staples on many classic rock stations.
    Xhale1
    DemonDante wrote: PatVanHalen5150 wrote: One of the most overrated songs of all time. Whats wrong Brits? No room for Maiden, Priest or Sabbath? I'm a fan of all three of those bands, but they're heavy metal more than rock, so they should be in a different list. That's the way I'd look at it anyway.
    yes indeed sir.
    fede01_8
    Melkord wrote: Jhnny wrote: Most overrated song from the most overrated band in the world, nice... I never understood what's so special in that song, and I will never understand. Yeah yeah I know, I don't know anything about music because your opininon is the only correct one, and when I listen to the song I realize that it's a masterpiece etc etc. But sorry fanboys, not everyone is a fanboy. Stairway is just a normal acoustic ballad at the beginning and a typical boring Hard Rock song at the end... The best song in the world? If it is, then there's something wrong with our world. And yes, the article was about Britains best Rock songs, not the best songs in the world, but Stairway has many times been voted as the best Rock song in the world... All the other songs in the list are okay, but Stairway is just so overrated that it makes me sick. proven fact that your opinion sucks, I have the formula if you need proof.
    read his favorite band in his profile
    evilotto77
    Stairway to heaven is definitely overrated. While being incredible well written and arranged it's not a hugely interesting song, and the guitar solo - supposedly one of the best ever - is dull and overly simplistic. I've been able to copy it note-perfectly since I was about 16!
    Cielofunk
    It's a poll for a favourite song, not best, not greatest, just favourite. Way to go UG
    RockInPeaceDime
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: bluesnd63 wrote: If you knew anything about music you wouldnt be saying that. When you listen to Stairway it is flawless in every way. Not quite. Everybody rants and raves about how Stairway contains the greatest guitar solo ever. I can name 20 now that sound better and are more technical. I'm not denying that it's a good song, it's a damn good song. But it is highly overrated.
    I rarely here anybody rant and rave about it being the most amazing solo of all time. Maybe a few 12 year olds every now and then, but it's pretty rare. The song is flawless in its entirety and conveys a feeling that very rarely comes through speakers. Every time you listen to it, that same feeling comes through. Every time. I've heard it hundreds of times. The feeling remains moving. I don't think it's overrated; I think it's perfectly rated. I won't say it's the best song ever written because that's a silly thing to say, but there's absolutely nothing you can say negatively about it.
    psorgatz
    "Stairway" isn't even Zep's best song. I personally find it to be a bit overrated. Anything off Zeppelin I, II, or III is much better
    LiveAtTheGarden
    Jhnny wrote: Most overrated song from the most overrated band in the world, nice... I never understood what's so special in that song, and I will never understand. Yeah yeah I know, I don't know anything about music because your opininon is the only correct one, and when I listen to the song I realize that it's a masterpiece etc etc. But sorry fanboys, not everyone is a fanboy. Stairway is just a normal acoustic ballad at the beginning and a typical boring Hard Rock song at the end... The best song in the world? If it is, then there's something wrong with our world. And yes, the article was about Britains best Rock songs, not the best songs in the world, but Stairway has many times been voted as the best Rock song in the world... All the other songs in the list are okay, but Stairway is just so overrated that it makes me sick.
    WHAT THE FCK go listen to your justin bieber