Led Zeppelin: 'Stairway To Heaven' Tops Ballads Poll

Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" has been named the greatest rock ballad of all time in a new RollingStone.com online poll.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
31

Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" has been named the greatest rock ballad of all time in a new RollingStone.com online poll.

The 1971 classic beat out songs by The Beatles and Rolling Stones to land atop the new list.

In naming the track their number one, publication editors write:

"If the entire genre of Classic Rock had to be reduced to one song it would probably be 'Stairway To Heaven'. It's been played a squajillion times on the radio since it came out in 1971, and it doesn't show any signs of going away."

The top five is:

01. "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin

02. "Something" by The Beatles

03. "Wild Horses" by Rolling Stones

04. "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses

05. "Let It Be" by The Beatles.

Thanks for the report to ContactMusic.com.

Trending stories

187 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Muntificator
    Not at all surprised that Stairway To Heaven got first , it had to make at least top 3. Good to see Wish You Were Here up there =)
    Zappanator
    Yeah Stairway is right where it belongs even though I don't consider it a ballad....and to all of you who say it sucks, let's hear something better.
    fede01_8
    the only reason some people hate Stairway is because it's overplayed. But that song is perfection itself
    Seref
    Stairway to Heaven is gonna go down in history. People will still be listening to it in 200 years. Proof that the 60s and 70s where the last great artistic renaissance.
    fuzzthedog
    No Little Wing? Huh. Either way, Stairway definitely deserves its spot, and The Beatles have three songs up there so I'm not complaining. But whoever asked if they were the only one surprised Metallica wasn't on the list... yes. Yes you are.
    iup788
    You know, Stairway to Heaven is overplayed as ****! But...It's an incredibly good song and deserves it.
    RocknRoll7425
    Nothing Elses Matter deserves a spot there too. But stairway to heaven should be first yes =)
    Section 5
    Tomamo5 wrote: Hey Jude > Let It Be.
    +1. Hey Jude is straight up awesome.
    GunsNRyche
    I honestly didn't think November Rain would be up there. SO glad it is. Such an epic ballad.
    Skullivan
    Wait, is "Imagine" a ballad? Because that should DEFINITELY be up there. Not a huge fan of John Lennon, but Imagine is a pretty great song.
    YetAnotherMuso
    Stairway tops another stupid list of GREATEST SONGS EVER OF ALL TIME SINCE THE UNIVERSE ITSELF BEGAN. Who cares.
    Fendergod666
    lol November rain? You have to be kidding me. No Pink Floyd? No Queen? Wtf? And Stairway is the most overrated song of all time.
    sunburst steve
    if they do include black it better be the live version because the original one sucks. the live version has so much more emotion and natural sound in it.
    Radz117
    How many ****ing polls and lists are there left to post on this website???
    sherry07
    Root Beer wrote: And Queen. No Queen automatically renders this list rubbish.
    +100000
    Beefy128
    Led Zeppelin is my religion, but i disagree with stairway being the greatest ballad. It barely has anything to do with love. The Rain Song however, greatest ballad/song of all time.
    Picklelerner
    its nice to see some songs you never see or hear about online, Something and Wild Horses definitely dont get enough credit these days. Great songs, but id also like to keep them underrated please, that way retards like the many above me wont infringe upon their awesomess.
    Skullivan
    Panasonic3 wrote: where is Bohemian Rhapsody??
    Seconded, but as you see, this was a Rolling Stone poll. Half the results aren't accurate. But they hit the nail on the head with Stairway.
    fallen.im
    wew... its good to see that UG finally posted a 'credible and decent' list.. ^_^ .\m/
    sherry07
    Stairway, despite being a good song is heavily overrated and Led Zeppelin have many many better songs
    blinkSumNOFX
    what is the point of this list, stairway just blows everything else on it out of the water. free bird is fantastic too, but maybe not as much of a ballad per se. Not really a Beatles fan so I'm not really entitled to argue with that, but Wild Horses should not even be in the vicinity of a top ten of anything. Id rather see You Can't Always Get What You Want. And to the dude who said Metallica, get real. Not only are they the most overrated metal band of all time, but they are a freaking metal band and nothing they ever did was a ballad.
    zeppelin!
    What the heck, November Rain, really? But at least Stairway was there that's very deserving. And free bird probably shouldve been higher, but whatever
    GunsNSnakepits
    NOVEMBER RAIN? That song sucked balls compared to Paradise City! Because nothing represents the '**** you', rebellious side of rock 'n' roll like an orchestra.
    lespaul4eveR
    mulletman619 wrote: anttown wrote: Where is Mr. Big - To be with you????? o.O where it belongs. Not on the list.
    +1 People say no question is stupid.. but that one took the cake.
    booby50
    DoteStudios wrote: Good to see that whoever created the polls thinks that 1992 is classic...stupid.
    They said ROCK, not classic rock. A song from the last two years could have made it on the list.
    GunsNSnakepits wrote: NOVEMBER RAIN? That song sucked balls compared to Paradise City! Because nothing represents the '**** you', rebellious side of rock 'n' roll like an orchestra.
    Paradise City is NOT a ballad, and November Rain was a different, introspective, and beautiful piece that very few people could even come close to repeating. You'd think people would actually READ the damn article before posting...
    Gyoung1991
    FREAKAZOID_69 wrote: The full list is better to see. not just the top five. here's the full thing from RollingStone incase anyone didnt check it out there: 01. "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin 02. "Something" by The Beatles 03. "Wild Horses" by Rolling Stones 04. "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses 05. "Let It Be" by The Beatles. 06. "Purple Rain" by Prince 07. "Wish you Were Here" by Pink Floyd 08. "Lets get it On" by Marvin Gaye's 09. "Black" by Pearl Jam 10. "Freebird" by Lynryd Skynyrd 11. "Hey Jude" by The Beatles 12. "With or Without You" by U2
    No still lovin you?
    Sakke
    Free Bird and November Rain should be higher. They're definitely better ballads IMO than Something or Wild Horses.
    Charley2715
    marshallrocks wrote: Panasonic3 wrote: where is Bohemian Rhapsody?? Bohemian Rhapsody sucks
    Apparently opinions can be wrong now.
    beyondthegrave
    really!?!?! that is imo the weakest point of led zeppelin IV . led zeppelin are a great band but to me that song is unlistenable.
    CheesyRhino
    Why does everyone hate November Rain? And also the reason Stairway is here again is because it is so good.
    Rajah
    If the writers at UG actually read the Rolling Stone article they'd see that Rolling Stone ask "our readers to vote for their favorite ballad or slow jam of all time". UG forgot to add the "slow jam" aspect to the article.
    Dark Wolf 93
    Wow... Why is Stairway here? It is a terrible song... So bloody boring, overlong, and nothing ever happens in it!
    sewoo55
    johnyguitar wrote: November Rain...are you kidding me....just what I want to hear when I'm hanging with my girl...some guy screaching through his nasal cavities and calling it singing.....
    +10
    -xCaMRocKx-
    I don't really think Stairway is a ballad. That said, it's still one of the best rock songs of all time, and this is a decent list.
    Attack&Release
    Dark Wolf 93 wrote: Wow... Why is Stairway here? It is a terrible song... So bloody boring, overlong, and nothing ever happens in it!
    It's an incredibly overrated song, yes. But it's still a great song nonetheless. And i don't agree with you calling it boring and unchanging