Liam Gallagher To Sing 'Wonderwall' At Olympics

The former Oasis frontman will perform the Oasis sing-along classic with his band Beady Eye at the London 2012 closing ceremony, featuring an all-new "epic orchestral arrangement."

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

Liam Gallagher will perform the Oasis sing-along classic "Wonderwall" at the London 2012 Olympics' closing ceremony, it has been confirmed.

Oasis split in 2009, but Liam will be backed by his bandmates in Beady Eye, all of whom were part of the Oasis lineup prior to its collapse.

The cello score from the original is being re-recorded as an "epic orchestral arrangement" by top producer David Arnold in London's AIR Studios.

According to The Sun, Liam's brother Noel Gallagher (who wrote the song) was originally drafted in to perform the track. Sources say Noel declined the offer after thinking "long and hard" over it - no simple decision, considering the 650 million people who will be tuned in to see it.

"[Noel] has been on a great tour and he doesn't really need to do it," said the source. "The organisers asked Liam if he was game and he said yes. The Who are on the same bill, so he was well up for it."

"The team wanted something quintessentially British - a real flag-waving, singalong moment to show the rest of the world what this country has produced. Oasis were exactly that and, whether it's Noel or his brother Liam, they just wanted a bit of rock 'n' roll in there."

Earlier this week we reported on the baffling news_backup that comedian Russell Brand is set to cover the Sex Pistols as part of the closing ceremony.

YouTube preview picture

71 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Jonny92
    The Trooper would be a much better example of pure British Music! And I'm not even a big fan of Maiden...
    bass-fale47
    They should have got Iron Maiden. Or, since these Olympic "organizers" clearly have so much money to spend they could get a full, proper Black Sabbath reunion with Bill Ward. Now that would be an opening ceremony worth watching.
    Jonny92
    The Trooper would be a much better example of pure British Music! And I'm not even a big fan of Maiden...
    LostLegion
    Why did they post a video? Buskers sing this song all the time so it's impossible to forget...
    boomershadow
    Yeah, Noel did write Wonderwall. I wonder if Liam is pissed that he was the second choice.
    artificialxlife
    This is gonna turn out like that MTV award when he was just spitting all over stage with a Foster in hand. Lord_Doku is right on: THIS is what the London Olympic Committee chose as a British anthem? Although, in the US, they'd probably have Miley singing Party in the USA.
    Superperfex
    The song is so outplayed, and so is he. Not being a douche or anything, but is that really what the people want to hear? Why can't we just have Queen (As a three piece) play a song or something.
    slapsymcdougal
    "And after all... he can suck my balls" Wasn't going to watch the opening ceremony anyway. I might now start watching it so I can turn it off when he appears.
    Lion_Slicer
    I hate Oasis, but I think it's the perfect song for the Olympics. Wonderwall really brings people together. Because no matter where you're from, no matter who you are, we should all be able to agree that it is truly one of the most awful collection of sounds ever to be put together and sent through the air.
    -xCaMRocKx-
    INstaNt-RocK wrote: They chose beady eye over Noel Gallagher? Facepalms, facepalms everywhere....
    Did you even read the article?
    MthrfknBrkdwN
    Sorry, but I hate this guy as much as I hate that song. He's such a stuck up **** I always want to punch him in the face. Just my opinion, I don't care if you like him or not.
    BloodyPumpkins
    come2gether wrote: BloodyPumpkins wrote: nope. just hate metal music and all its fans.
    I see. Because all the metalheads in the world are narrow minded *****s. In other words, you're a retard.
    UniformRecon
    I don't really understand why people give a shit about this guy. I see him on festival mashups on Paladia every so often and his music just bores me to death. Thank god for the fast-forward button.
    the_elements600
    Christ, the organisers of the olympics can't get anything right. I suppose he's all they can get to agree for playing for 50p whilst being guarded by a foreigner...
    BloodyPumpkins
    come2gether wrote: This is why I can't stand the people on these boards. Wonderwall is a fabulous song. I don't care if you metalheads don't agree. I would wager that of the 100% whole population that plays guitar, about 25% of them is a metalhead. Of the other 75%, I'd say about 50% of THOSE players learn Wonderwall as one of their first songs. It's the kind of hummable tune that only a great songwriter can accomplish, which is why for the entirety of the 90's Noel Gallagher was considered (in England, AND the U.S.) to be one of the best English song-writers since John and Paul. Britpop fell in favor of the Spice Girls and Robbie Williams (in Britain) and in favor of power chord alt. rock and boy bands in the U.S., and Oasis never regained their huge, massive status they had in the mid-90's. It disgusts me to think that most people here in the U.S. think they are a one-hit wonder. And it disgusts me even more when I see metalheads on this board sh*tting all over teh song because it doesn't haven't blast beats and screaming vocals.
    Dude, in EVERY post of yours I've seen around here, you're bashing the "metalheads". Have you been raped by a Cannibal Corpse fan or something?
    CJMusics
    INstaNt-RocK wrote: They chose beady eye over Noel Gallagher? Facepalms, facepalms everywhere....
    If you read it correctly, they chose Noel Gallagher first, He declined. So take away your facepalms.
    come2gether
    This is why I can't stand the people on these boards. Wonderwall is a fabulous song. I don't care if you metalheads don't agree. I would wager that of the 100% whole population that plays guitar, about 25% of them is a metalhead. Of the other 75%, I'd say about 50% of THOSE players learn Wonderwall as one of their first songs. It's the kind of hummable tune that only a great songwriter can accomplish, which is why for the entirety of the 90's Noel Gallagher was considered (in England, AND the U.S.) to be one of the best English song-writers since John and Paul. Britpop fell in favor of the Spice Girls and Robbie Williams (in Britain) and in favor of power chord alt. rock and boy bands in the U.S., and Oasis never regained their huge, massive status they had in the mid-90's. It disgusts me to think that most people here in the U.S. think they are a one-hit wonder. And it disgusts me even more when I see metalheads on this board sh*tting all over teh song because it doesn't haven't blast beats and screaming vocals.
    Lord_Doku
    They wanted something quintessentially British, and they got Wonderwall ? Something tells me these Olympics are gonna ruin Brittains reputation of common sense.
    .:!j.man!:.
    "singalong moment to show the rest of the world what this country has produced" Liam gallagher is representing the british public... what the hell is going on! who thought up that shitty idea!
    Jyrgen
    Superperfex wrote: The song is so outplayed, and so is he. Not being a douche or anything, but is that really what the people want to hear? Why can't we just have Queen (As a three piece) play a song or something.
    Because John Deacon is retired
    explosionate
    He can sing only if Paul McCartney, The Who, The Police, Genesis, and Pink Floyd also play.
    TheNumber6
    come2gether wrote: This is why I can't stand the people on these boards. Wonderwall is a fabulous song. I don't care if you metalheads don't agree. I would wager that of the 100% whole population that plays guitar, about 25% of them is a metalhead. Of the other 75%, I'd say about 50% of THOSE players learn Wonderwall as one of their first songs. It's the kind of hummable tune that only a great songwriter can accomplish, which is why for the entirety of the 90's Noel Gallagher was considered (in England, AND the U.S.) to be one of the best English song-writers since John and Paul. Britpop fell in favor of the Spice Girls and Robbie Williams (in Britain) and in favor of power chord alt. rock and boy bands in the U.S., and Oasis never regained their huge, massive status they had in the mid-90's. It disgusts me to think that most people here in the U.S. think they are a one-hit wonder. And it disgusts me even more when I see metalheads on this board sh*tting all over teh song because it doesn't haven't blast beats and screaming vocals.
    but thats just like, your opinion man. theres really no need to bash metalheads (like myself) for not liking a band because "it doesnt have blast beats or screaming vocals". me, i hate alternative music, but i dont bash the people who listen to it. im quite tolerant of it. and another thing, the majority of the "metalheads" on this site only listen to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth. none of which have blast beats, or screaming vocals. so i apologize for their hatred of everything not 80-90s metal.
    GMPX
    "The team wanted something quintessentially British - a real flag-waving, singalong moment to show the rest of the world what this country has produced." Yeah, Wonderwall fits that, but then the stadium singing "Noooo Future, Noooo Future, Noooo Future for you...." would have been so much better.
    ffaf12
    wow they did find a way to make the Olympics even more of a joke!
    eljono123
    First off... It's in London so (former) Oasis folks makes perfect sense. BUT.. when I read Liam.. I thought they meant Noel. I actually like that dude. Liam has always been the prick of the two. And yeh Wonderwall is played out but it was a dam good song back in the day. Oasis had a shit load of great songs so all the haters can suck it.
    JPScralatchtica
    What they should really consider is having Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr play with Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey! That would be epic and an amazing end to the Olympics!
    swave75
    Superperfex wrote: The song is so outplayed, and so is he. Not being a douche or anything, but is that really what the people want to hear? Why can't we just have Queen (As a three piece) play a song or something.
    Because John Deacon retired several years ago. So it would be a two piece and two stand ins.
    kerguitar08
    Well at least he'll be miming it, because his voice sucks these days (not like it was ever that good to begin with).
    come2gether
    Molomono wrote: come2gether wrote: This is why I can't stand the people on these boards. Wonderwall is a fabulous song. I don't care if you metalheads don't agree. I would wager that of the 100% whole population that plays guitar, about 25% of them is a metalhead. Of the other 75%, I'd say about 50% of THOSE players learn Wonderwall as one of their first songs. It's the kind of hummable tune that only a great songwriter can accomplish, which is why for the entirety of the 90's Noel Gallagher was considered (in England, AND the U.S.) to be one of the best English song-writers since John and Paul. Britpop fell in favor of the Spice Girls and Robbie Williams (in Britain) and in favor of power chord alt. rock and boy bands in the U.S., and Oasis never regained their huge, massive status they had in the mid-90's. It disgusts me to think that most people here in the U.S. think they are a one-hit wonder. And it disgusts me even more when I see metalheads on this board sh*tting all over teh song because it doesn't haven't blast beats and screaming vocals. He goes off key and blasphemously nasal all throughout the song. It had potential but it's sung the way an amateur would sing it.
    BUT, if you look at Ryan Adams' version, he's singing perfectly on key and it doesn't have near the same soaring, singable effect. You really think Mick Jagger sings on-key all the time? Singing, like playing any instrument is not about doing it perfectly right, it's about feeling. His voice MAKES THIS SONG. I flat out don't understand people who single out stupid stuff in things. Saying he's out of key and amateur here is like watching a movie and walking out of the theater complaining about what lenses the director used in a few scenes. just enjoy the show!
    nnb
    xpt93 wrote: Superperfex wrote: The song is so outplayed, and so is he. Not being a douche or anything, but is that really what the people want to hear? Why can't we just have Queen (As a three piece) play a song or something. So, you don't want an overplayed song by some guy you don't like, you want an overplayed song by a band you like?
    Honestly that what was thinking, Queen is just as overplayed as Wonderwall and I think most people hate it just for that reason because as a song is actually very good. I wouldn't want Maiden doing the Olympics but I have to admite I'd love to see them perfore 7th son if they did do the opening ceremony.
    distoare
    I completely fail to understand why these brothers are in the news at all, much less nearly every day. Have they ever really done anything that grand, other than argue and talk trash? Is this a kardashian moment?
    eljono123
    boomershadow wrote: Yeah, Noel did write Wonderwall. I wonder if Liam is pissed that he was the second choice.
    That's also what I was thinking. LOL
    Molomono
    come2gether wrote: This is why I can't stand the people on these boards. Wonderwall is a fabulous song. I don't care if you metalheads don't agree. I would wager that of the 100% whole population that plays guitar, about 25% of them is a metalhead. Of the other 75%, I'd say about 50% of THOSE players learn Wonderwall as one of their first songs. It's the kind of hummable tune that only a great songwriter can accomplish, which is why for the entirety of the 90's Noel Gallagher was considered (in England, AND the U.S.) to be one of the best English song-writers since John and Paul. Britpop fell in favor of the Spice Girls and Robbie Williams (in Britain) and in favor of power chord alt. rock and boy bands in the U.S., and Oasis never regained their huge, massive status they had in the mid-90's. It disgusts me to think that most people here in the U.S. think they are a one-hit wonder. And it disgusts me even more when I see metalheads on this board sh*tting all over teh song because it doesn't haven't blast beats and screaming vocals.
    He goes off key and blasphemously nasal all throughout the song. It had potential but it's sung the way an amateur would sing it.
    xpt93
    Superperfex wrote: The song is so outplayed, and so is he. Not being a douche or anything, but is that really what the people want to hear? Why can't we just have Queen (As a three piece) play a song or something.
    So, you don't want an overplayed song by some guy you don't like, you want an overplayed song by a band you like?
    webber243
    Molomono wrote: come2gether wrote: This is why I can't stand the people on these boards. Wonderwall is a fabulous song. I don't care if you metalheads don't agree. I would wager that of the 100% whole population that plays guitar, about 25% of them is a metalhead. Of the other 75%, I'd say about 50% of THOSE players learn Wonderwall as one of their first songs. It's the kind of hummable tune that only a great songwriter can accomplish, which is why for the entirety of the 90's Noel Gallagher was considered (in England, AND the U.S.) to be one of the best English song-writers since John and Paul. Britpop fell in favor of the Spice Girls and Robbie Williams (in Britain) and in favor of power chord alt. rock and boy bands in the U.S., and Oasis never regained their huge, massive status they had in the mid-90's. It disgusts me to think that most people here in the U.S. think they are a one-hit wonder. And it disgusts me even more when I see metalheads on this board sh*tting all over teh song because it doesn't haven't blast beats and screaming vocals. He goes off key and blasphemously nasal all throughout the song. It had potential but it's sung the way an amateur would sing it.
    Youre a ledgend
    Root Beer
    BloodyPumpkins wrote: come2gether wrote: BloodyPumpkins wrote: nope. just hate metal music and all its fans. I see. Because all the metalheads in the world are narrow minded *****s. In other words, you're a retard.
    come2gether, what you don't realize is that only listening to one genre is just as bad as bashing the shit out of that genre and all of its fans. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them a metalhead (I'm certainly not), and even if they are, so what? Everyone has different tastes. This is the kind of outlook on life that racists have.
    WastedTele
    Blur are playing a show simultaneously to the closing ceremony. Battle of Britpop II (BoBII)?!
    BloodyPumpkins
    Oh yeah, probably should have mentioned this in the post above so I didn't need to double-post, but... Media/masses opinion shouldn't be interfering in your opinion. Oasis got a million great songs, but people rather suck Wonderwall's balls for ever and ever than listening to their most amazing stuff. Check out "The Masterplan" or "Standing on the Shoulder of Giants" and be shocked by how many great songs were stuck in the shadows of Wonderwall... but if you prefer, go back to sucking Coldplay and hating the metalheads.