Meat Loaf Calls Slipknot A 'Metal Beethoven'

Legendary singer Meat Loaf stopped by the offices of Metal Hammer magazine this week "and caused chaos upon his arrival".

Meat Loaf Calls Slipknot A 'Metal Beethoven'
2
Legendary singer Meat Loaf stopped by the offices of Metal Hammer magazine this week "and caused chaos upon his arrival". The magazine got the man himself to shoot a few videos, and one of those clips involves him talking about Slipknot. Said Meat Loaf: "Slipknot has amazing arrangements, and musically, they're like a metal Beethoven." The 'Loaf has never shied away from the bombastic, of course, so that is praise indeed. But is he being serious? Slipknot's Shawn Crahan seems to agree. "We give you everything," he told The Age this week. "We're the greatest band in the world as far as I'm concerned. I always laugh when bands say, You know, without the masks they'd be nothing.' OK, try playing one of our songs, try playing my drummer's parts, try playing my guitar player's parts. "Now put on a mask and all this other s--t and run around like you're in a rugby game then I might start listening. Otherwise, why don't you take your shirt off and tell everybody how hot you are and how you've gotta slow things down for a minute. We have never had to pretend what we are what we are is intense." Thanks for the report to Michael Leonard, Gibson.com.

25 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    courageous93
    I think a lot of people who liked Slipknot have had a period where they stopped liking them for whatever reason. But coming back to it, I can listen to all of their work and totally respect it. They're the 'Knot, and my playlists always have a place for them.
    Pagan_Poetry
    Yeah there's a difference between having amazing arrangements and somehow making many instruments work. You want amazing arrangements? Check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor. HOWEVER, I will say that Slipknot are great at what they do. I'm not a big fan but I can't call them a bad band. What they do is rather difficult. I guess I'm just put off by Shawn's ego and Meat Loaf's over the top statement.
    vikkyvik
    ffaf12 wrote: "try playing my guitar players parts." yeah done.... "try playing my drummers parts" yeah my mate can.... i think weve got a problem with your theory here guys....
    But try playing Clown's percussion parts! Hah! Now you're stumped!
    lefty311
    Pagan_Poetry wrote: Yeah there's a difference between having amazing arrangements and somehow making many instruments work. You want amazing arrangements? Check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor. HOWEVER, I will say that Slipknot are great at what they do. I'm not a big fan but I can't call them a bad band. What they do is rather difficult. I guess I'm just put off by Shawn's ego and Meat Loaf's over the top statement.
    I wouldn't say Shawn has a big ego. It's confidence and belief in what his band does. If you can't have 110% confidence in the music you put out, then why do it?
    Maiden95
    I personally disagree with the "Best band in the world thing" but I guess in a way Loaf has a point.
    Pagan_Poetry
    lefty311 wrote: Pagan_Poetry wrote: Yeah there's a difference between having amazing arrangements and somehow making many instruments work. You want amazing arrangements? Check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor. HOWEVER, I will say that Slipknot are great at what they do. I'm not a big fan but I can't call them a bad band. What they do is rather difficult. I guess I'm just put off by Shawn's ego and Meat Loaf's over the top statement. I wouldn't say Shawn has a big ego. It's confidence and belief in what his band does. If you can't have 110% confidence in the music you put out, then why do it?
    Confidence is everything else he said but the part about being the best band in the world. A big ego is saying you're the greatest band. HUGE difference between saying "yeah we are good at what we do" and saying "I dare you to say we aren't the best band in the world". What a nonsensical statement.
    scrymusic
    Hell... Go to a show.. They give you their all and then some and it is awesome... It is like seeing Slayer... Relentless, Manic, and intense.. I fucckin love it
    Epiklesis
    Comparing metal bands to classical masterminds is totally ridiculous. I mean they arranged a complete orchestra with some of the most (technically) perfect composition ever created. I mean i love metal but this is'nt the same league.
    Offworld92
    Some of the stuff on All Hope is Gone is really complex and intricate. But besides a few snogs, I wouldn't say they're like Beethoven at all. For every one of Slipknots complex songs, they have 2 or 3 that are totally simplistic. If you want real metal Beethoven, listen to some The Human Abstract, or Protest the Hero.
    Sic_maggot_H
    ikantuna wrote: IMO, Slipknot is more on pop metal. It's a abit soft for metal but guess what, Way to go Slipknot!!!
    You realize Iowa is the heaviest album made by any band ever right? How many albums can you say makes you sick to your stomach when you listen cover to cover. Pop metal my ass. That's called screamo.
    jesse1994
    The only real thing I don't really like about slipknot is the growling. If corey would sing a lot more, slipknot would be a band worth seeing. Mick is a killer guitar player.
    ffaf12
    "try playing my guitar players parts." yeah done.... "try playing my drummers parts" yeah my mate can.... i think weve got a problem with your theory here guys....
    Absurder22
    "You know, without the masks theyd be nothing. OK, try playing one of our songs, try playing my drummers parts, try playing my guitar players parts." Yeah, a 5 year old could play Slipknot's guitar parts.
    ikantuna
    Can I put Between the Buried and Me as Metal Beethoven? IMO, Slipknot is more on pop metal. It's a abit soft for metal but guess what, Way to go Slipknot!!!
    Hamham272
    vikkyvik wrote: ffaf12 wrote: "try playing my guitar players parts." yeah done.... "try playing my drummers parts" yeah my mate can.... i think weve got a problem with your theory here guys.... But try playing Clown's percussion parts! Hah! Now you're stumped!
    *Pulls out trash cans and starts smashing them together* Done
    haygoe
    Maiden95 wrote: I personally disagree with the "Best band in the world thing" but I guess in a way Loaf has a point.
    If any band is the Best in the world its A7X
    MetalRock4ever
    Mister A.J. wrote: I respect the fact that they enjoy writing music. However, with that said, they are far from a metal Beethoven. And they are really far from the heaviest.
    I doubt you heard their debut album and iowa... Slipknot 4ever (and yeah, i wudn't call them the metal beethoven as well)
    Mister A.J.
    I respect the fact that they enjoy writing music. However, with that said, they are far from a metal Beethoven. And they are really far from the heaviest.
    ToxXicSixString
    Slipknot guitars are nothing special. Mr Clown check out some guitar work from some black metal bands or newer shit from T.B.D.M and see what real metal guitars should sound like. Also did they not slow down when they put out there sell out album. VOL 3 or whatever it was had a few slow faggy songs on it.
    Anchr
    I love Slipknot but they're not Metal's Beethoven... That honour would to go Tosin.
    ikantuna wrote: IMO, Slipknot is more on pop metal. It's a abit soft for metal but guess what, Way to go Slipknot!!!
    Right, that's probably the reason every "normal" person in my high school hated Slipknot because their music was so accessible to them. K koo...
    ds24601
    I think Slipknot are great at what they do but I would hardly call them a metal Beethoven. They really couldn't be more different in their approach to music (plus the fact that there isn't anything remotely classical about Slipknot's music)and if Meat Loaf were to think about it he'd realise it's a pretty stupid comparison. If you're going to call any band a metal Beethoven it'd probably be Opeth or something--you know, one of those European progressive bands.
    Iblis92
    Slipknot would be better if the vocals werent so sh!tty. They have some songs like snuff, where his singing is great. But, most of their songs dont.