Metallica Consider Releasing Next Album Online

Metallica is considering their options for the future and one of them is to release their next album through the internet.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

Now that Metallica has come to the end of their record deal with Warner Bros., the band is considering their options for the future and according to drummer Lars Ulrich, one of their options is to release their next album through the internet.

"We're free of our record contract," Lars told Rolling Stone. "We have that element of complete freedom with the next record, so we can do whatever we want. We could do an Internet thing or even put it on Andy Greene's record label."

The drummer then quickly squashed any possible rumors that the band were already planning the follow-up to this year's incredibly successful Death Magnetic. "I wouldn't hold my breath for another Metallica record," he says. "I'm still decompressing and coming down from the whole experience of the last one, but if we spit one out every four or five years that's not so bad."

The band is currently taking a small break from touring for Thanksgiving before continuing with the World Magnetic Tour in Seattle, WA on December 1.

Report by David Lowe-Bianco.

Trending stories

185 comments sorted by best / new / date

    atkm2891
    that would be ridiculous..... a physical album is so much better than a vitrual one...
    Martindecorum
    .:st.anger:. wrote: kinda sucks to be rob - 1 album and you're done...lol
    what do u mean, just cause they dont have a record label doesnt mean they dont make cds,
    -tempest-
    highwind5150 wrote: because there are STILL fans out there that appreciate their music...no matter what they sound like, the "old" metallica or singing "sesame street" songs. :
    exactly what i thought when i saw the article
    jduke
    If they wanted to show that their actually worth something they would release something soon to make up for the lack of productivity. But i did like Death Magnetic!!
    Metallica Meat
    Um... Didnt lars get pissed that people were Illegaly getting their music of Itunes and Limewire, NOW he wants to make it all ONLINE!?! WTF LARS
    shadow__666
    sensfan151911 wrote: leniwm1 wrote: h2orowe wrote: Wow. The people who originally wanted to put an end to music downloading and basically turned it into a witch hunt are now trying to look cool by releasing their album online. I bet it won't be for free though. They need that extra million so they can buy their kids their own pet lions. That has to be one of the most ignorant, childish remarks I've ever heard. Metallica was never against the internet downloading, you little fart. They are against free, stealing music via downloanding. There will always be people like you that cant aknowledge an incredible Metallica album if it f***ed you in the ass. Because you have to pay for music. Get over it already. Grow up and enter the real world +1, Agree with every word you said. Another thing, to all people who say that they should stop putting out music cuz they suck, some people still enjoy their music, and want them to make a new record. If Death Magnetic came from any other band, then you'd be like OMG this album rocks, but because you're comparing it to Master or Lightning, you think it sucks . Also, the reason why Lars was so infuriated at Napster was because Napster released a version of I Disappear before it was even done, and thats what pissed off the band.
    That line speaks the truth. I reckon it'd be pretty cool (and extremely ironic) if they did release it online.
    TechnicolorType
    wow people sure are making a big deal out of this. get over it.. this is what they should do lmao.. have an album cover and little things for the CD case and everything and for the cover of the CD.. you want it as an actual CD? then you print all of this stuff on to it yourself lmao.
    down n dirty
    AXE187 wrote: I cant understand how anyone could be so stoked with death magnetic..... its average at best. Chinese democracy is the only album in recent memory to live up to the hype.
    u mean nun at all? everybody i no new it was coming out and just didnt care lol sure if a song came on the radio wed sit thru it but we didnt realy care about it and there were aboslutley NO ads anywhere for it lol anybody frum western washington wanna back me up on this?
    Les Paul Ell
    I don't think there's any hope for Metallica now. I'm not a particularly technical guitarist, but I really think Thrash metal NEEDS to be technical. Look at Rust in Peace, one of the most popular Thrash albums, it's FULL of riffs, then at one of Metallica's new ones. I know that isn't a fair comparison but even looking at one of Metallica's older albums. The drums are pretty damn fast on the pedals, the guitars have seriously accurate alternate picking and the bass... well it's Cliff, what do you expect. I've heard that Rob is a really good bass player, I just can't understand why they don't USE that aspect of his playing. They aren't a ****ing pop band, they're Metallica. They're MEANT to be a thrash Metal band and people won't be happy with them being anything less.
    Velvet_Roses_87
    I think that without a label it would be more of what Metallica wants, as opposed to what the Label thinks is best, but i dont know...
    RUSTDOGG666
    heebblow101 wrote: Death Magnetic is the best Album Metallica has ever recorded to this day. Blows every album before this out of the water!!!
    I disagree. they will never top and justice for all.
    Shread_6009
    why do they keep interviewing lars instead of jamz n kirk. lars is bar far the least talented member of metallica, and the lyrics n guitar are not him.
    bfredder92
    hey you think they will have that hellbound song, shine, and holy revolver those were three songs i wanted bad!!!!
    dethead666
    really guys what about all the kids in africa who don't have internet you just going to exclude them huh?
    ThunderPX
    mercurymay wrote: Mulldarran wrote: It would be pretty funny if they released a total thrash mayhem album like kill em all. Because without Warner they now don't have any obligation to include any "hit potentials", so they could just go nuts basically. i'm thinking a metallica cover album of sesame street songs? "C is for cookie! YEAH! OOOOH!"
    More like "C is for cookie-ahhhh!"
    sensfan151911
    leniwm1 wrote: h2orowe wrote: Wow. The people who originally wanted to put an end to music downloading and basically turned it into a witch hunt are now trying to look cool by releasing their album online. I bet it won't be for free though. They need that extra million so they can buy their kids their own pet lions. That has to be one of the most ignorant, childish remarks I've ever heard. Metallica was never against the internet downloading, you little fart. They are against free, stealing music via downloanding. There will always be people like you that cant aknowledge an incredible Metallica album if it f***ed you in the ass. Because you have to pay for music. Get over it already. Grow up and enter the real world
    +1, Agree with every word you said. Another thing, to all people who say that they should stop putting out music cuz they suck, some people still enjoy their music, and want them to make a new record. If Death Magnetic came from any other band, then you'd be like OMG this album rocks, but because you're comparing it to Master or Lightning, you think it sucks. Also, the reason why Lars was so infuriated at Napster was because Napster released a version of I Disappear before it was even done, and thats what pissed off the band.
    blommen
    with every passing minute, ney very passing second, metallica is selling out more and more, slowly yet steadily, they are putting behind the 80's speed metal. if this catastrophic tendency continues i predict that by 2015 metallica will have made a duet with either christina aguillera or jonas brothers
    Remsen
    heebblow101 wrote: Death Magnetic is the best Album Metallica has ever recorded to this day. Blows every album before this out of the water!!!
    wow really man?
    AXE187
    cmstrike wrote: dial-a-death wrote: Just because a band is set for life, it doesn't mean that they should stop doing what they ENJOY. People play music because they enjoy doing it, and if it happens to make money, thats an added bonus. Death Magnetic is pretty damn good in my opinion; sure I prefer Ride The Lightening, and I certainly wouldn't call Death Magnetic "the greatest thrash album ever written", but to be blunt, what would you rather have? Death Magnetic or St. Anger? And to be honest, I actually LIKE the loud recording. Metal is MEANT to be loud, so why are people complaining? I agree with you on everything but the last thing. It's not that it's a loud recording, it's TOO loud. It's actually dangerous to human ears. Be very careful about listening to DM, because you really can do some damage do your ears. There is absolutely no dynamic range on the album. This may mean nothing to you, but as an audio engineer it's a very important issue for me. Death Magnetic is not loud in a positive way.
    there is a volume knob on every audio playback device I have ever seen.
    mdawg24
    h2orowe wrote: Wow. The people who originally wanted to put an end to music downloading and basically turned it into a witch hunt are now trying to look cool by releasing their album online. I bet it won't be for free though. They need that extra million so they can buy their kids their own pet lions.
    Yesss, I've been waiting for this comment. GTFO loser. I honestly could care less about where they release it as long as they're not in bondage to a record company, because it gives them the opportunity to truly play thrash again, like Mulldarran said. To be honest, I didn't really like Death Magnetic itself, however I loved the fact that it was a fairly large step in the right direction.
    cmstrike
    AXE187 wrote: there is a volume knob on every audio playback device I have ever seen.
    Ok, tell that to the Audio Engineering Society and see if they think that matters. It's not about a volume knob. It's about how the music was recorded, mixed, and mastered. And it wasn't done in a good way, that's for sure. Metallica has no fault in this at all though. It's the label.
    Helloween4Ever
    heebblow101 wrote: Death Magnetic is the best Album Metallica has ever recorded to this day. Blows every album before this out of the water!!!
    youre joking right?
    SkyValley
    Sounds like a nice idea, but I just have one question: What the f*ck is the internet???
    ozzynator
    when i first read the title i was like NOOOOO cuz releasing albums online ****ing sucks, i hope they dont go that way, lars is obviously joking around in the article. i also hope it will take less than 5 years to do a new album. Death magnetic was good and a step in the right direction, i hope they see it success as a sign to go heavier and thrashier !!!!!
    guitargodwannab
    Helloween4Ever wrote: heebblow101 wrote: Death Magnetic is the best Album Metallica has ever recorded to this day. Blows every album before this out of the water!!! youre joking right?
    sry guys for the double post.....but had to say this: DM is a good album, it rocks.....but NOT the best album
    Herotime
    heebblow101 wrote: Death Magnetic is the best Album Metallica has ever recorded to this day. Blows every album before this out of the water!!!
    And this happens how? Don't get me wrong I'm a total fan but this one album can't blow them all out of the water! Each album has it's own click and well they all have a nice click. It is more modern but wasn't the others in there time? We see and hear the change of season but what we want and expect them to achieve might be far fetched for now.
    louwen
    An internet-only album would not be cool at all. There is no way I would pay money to download an album online. I have no problems with paying for a CD though. The next album better not be as clipped and compressed as Death Magnetic. That shat me off the wall because while the music on it was amazing, I can't stand listening to it because of the way its mastered. ybgay4?
    new_guitar
    hell yeah, and the guests on the nesxt album will be paris hilton, britney and 50 cent. i love theri older albums, but they are boring as hell. hope that if they record a new one it wont be a bunch of crap like St. anger or Death magnetic.
    AXE187
    I cant understand how anyone could be so stoked with death magnetic..... its average at best. Chinese democracy is the only album in recent memory to live up to the hype.
    TheMetallicaKid
    Aftertime wrote: cool~should be interesting to see what their new album would be like without a record label behind them
    REALLY good...