UG editorial team. A group of people who are passionate about guitar and music in general.
Posted on Nov 05, 2013 01:58 pm
Detroit city officials have recently confirmed that Metallica's Orion Fest is contracted to be held at the city's Belle Isle for two more years.
As the City Council member James Tate told MLive, "It's contracted. And I think since it was a event so well-suited for the venue - for the type of event it was - it was perfect."
The same source indicates that a letter from Detroit's recreation department confirms a three-year event contract, along with $100,000 of projected revenue in 2013, another $100,000 in 2014 and $250,000 in 2015. Tate also added that the festival's success should encourage the officials to think outside the box in bringing visitors and revenue to the city. "It's change," he added. "Change is painful for some - change can be difficult because it's different than what we are used to."
As far as Metallica's stance on the given matter goes, guitarist Kirk Hammett stated that Orion's status in Detroit yet "remains to be seen." As the axeman told 97.1 the Eagle radio, he had a blast at both of the festival editions so far and is looking forward to next year's meeting.
Drummer Lars Ulrich was much more direct at this year's festival closing, screaming to the crowd "I don't know about you motherf--kers, but I think Detroit should be our permanent f--king home! We love Detroit and we love Michigan!"
Meanwhile, the band posted "Seek & Destroy" Halloween performance video off "Quebec Magnetic," make sure to check it out below.