Mustaine: 'I've Never Been A Republican'

The Megadeth mainman has been avoiding the headlines because he's worried people will stop buying their records.

Mustaine: 'I've Never Been A Republican'
6
Dave Mustaine says people in the media only want to hear from Democrats, then promptly claims that he was never Republican anyway. He insists he never really endorsed Rick Santorum, though says they occasionally talk on the phone. "It's really weird that the music industry and the film and television industry, you almost gotta be a Democrat. It's like if you're a Republican, you're kind of like a guy that people don't really wanna hear from, because they look at Republicans like people who complain," he said in a May interview unearthed by Blabbermouth. "But I'm an independent, not a Republican I've never been a Republican. I've always said that. I don't belong to any party I'm non-partisan. And for me, the sad thing is, instead of voting for the best man, I have to vote for the lesser of two evils." It seems the Megadeth frontman has been trying to keep his opinion quiet after hitting headlines with his opinions, as outlined on our roundup of Dave Mustaine's most controversial headlines. "If I say how I really feel, I'm gonna get blackballed people are gonna talk bad about me and my career's gonna suffer. And that in itself is a shame because since when in America can't you talk freely about things that you like or don't like? And why should I have my business taken away from me because I don't like somebody?" Perhaps the tipping point was apologising to Metallica's James Hetfield who said Mustaine had a "big mouth." A UG news search for Dave Mustaine highlights the decline in headline comments. "That's one of the fears I have if I say how I really feel about stuff that people are not gonna wanna come see us in concert or not gonna wanna buy our records."

133 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Cyanide81
    Mustaine was avoiding headlines because he's worried ppl will not buy their records.
    headlines because he's worried ppl will not buy their records.
    worried ppl will not buy their records.
    ppl
    Maiden95
    I will still go see Dave and Megadeth in concert no doubt, because I understand he speaks his mind and has his own opinion. Plus he doesn't let it get in the way of his music. I've never wanted to see Ted Nugent for that reason
    Tonganation
    Doesn't he realize he still has freedom of speech? The flip side is that so do other people. They have a right to disagree with him, and publicly if they wish. It comes with the right. You can't please everyone all the time, so speak freely and don't worry about alienating anyone. Anyone who truly cares about the music isn't gonna let a musicians political opinions get in the way of them enjoying it if the music's still good.
    Metallicuh
    That's why I hate politics, if someone doesn't agree with you then you're stupid and your opinion doesn't matter to them.
    guitar7masta
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: Godforbid a person of fame happens to not like Obama, and a shitstorm creates itself. If he was one of the sheeple sucking on the liberal tit of America, nobody would flinch. He hit the nail on the head though. "I'm not voting for who's best, I'm voting for the lesser of 2 evils." Bumper sticker: We're All Screwed 2012.
    Oh please, shitstorms are created regardless of who he supports. There was crap flinging from every political stance on these boards, don't try to deny it.
    AttackMemphis93
    I don't care, or lose respect for someone who speaks their mind. I like Green Day and I tend to lean to the right in politics. As long as they don't make their whole show revolved around their "message" or "way of thinking" then I dont care. I love music, I'm here to have a good time.
    JJ1990
    Somehow I can't blame Dave for saying the way he feels. It's just his opinion and media ask for his opinion on matters like these and "homosexuality" as in an older UG-article. I wish people would start asking him questions about his music rather than his political en religious opinion. I love reading stuff about Dave's music not this ****
    KerNeL_KLuTcH
    jackson_kingv wrote: Dave mustaine could endorse beavers and id still listen to megadeth
    he could have endorsed santorum and i wouldn't have given a ****, if I gave a **** about political viewpoints in music I would have stopped listening to RATM long ago.
    flaphead325
    You can talk freely about your opinions most of the time, you just can't talk stupid or irrationnal...
    guitar7masta
    That's the free market for you Dave, get used to it. Like it or not his lyrics appeal to the liberal side of politics so I find it ridiculous that he was surprised there was backlash for his comments. That being said, he has so many fans it's hard to believe that whatever he says or does could turn his concerts into a total failure. I mean, just look at Axl Rose. That's all the proof you need.
    PatVanHalen5150
    Godforbid a person of fame happens to not like Obama, and a shitstorm creates itself. If he was one of the sheeple sucking on the liberal tit of America, nobody would flinch. He hit the nail on the head though. "I'm not voting for who's best, I'm voting for the lesser of 2 evils." Bumper sticker: We're All Screwed 2012.
    JBailey23
    First misleading titles for articles now text lingo. Come on now, if yall wanna be a more respected news source yall have to work better than that.
    Lightning_Ray
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: Godforbid a person of fame happens to not like Obama, and a shitstorm creates itself. If he was one of the sheeple sucking on the liberal tit of America, nobody would flinch. He hit the nail on the head though. "I'm not voting for who's best, I'm voting for the lesser of 2 evils." Bumper sticker: We're All Screwed 2012.
    My opinion is that you don't vote for persons anymore, you vote for a System that's always going to win, unless you fight against it. It doesn't matter who wins an election, influence and money are always viewed as more important than serving the people. Modern societies built a System to serve the people, not otherwise, but that's exactly what's happening. Taking a title from a Megadeth album, "The System Has Failed."
    Dynamight
    Metallicuh wrote: That's why I hate politics, if someone doesn't agree with you then you're stupid and your opinion doesn't matter to them.
    When you grow up, you'll discover that doesn't just apply to politics, but pretty much everything.
    guitar7masta
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: Fact: 98% of Hollywood is staunchly liberal. Always has been.
    You should never preface a sentence with "Fact:" without backing it up with actual statistics or, you know, facts.
    TheExterminator
    Enix165 wrote: Dave's got a valid point. He's said some silly stuff, sure, but... "And that in itself is a shame because since when in America can't you talk freely about things that you like or don't like? And why should I have my business taken away from me because I don't like somebody?" A-*expletive*-men to that. Society expects you to like some things and hate other things, and should you, GOD FORBID, *DEVIATE* from the little mold society's got cut out for "happy shiny people", you get absolutely shit on by the general public because of it.
    Woe is the day being a conspiracy nut and religious fundamentalist is respected because it "breaks the mold" That's going backwards, people. Not forwards. This is the guy who claimed taking God out of schools was dumbing America down, remember? Dave Mustaine was being a moron and said some moronic things. Now he's acting the victim because people called him out on his stupid bullshit. Boo ****ing hoo.
    Abacus11
    It's not so much being a Republican or not that makes listening to Mustaine excruciating it's more the racist/xenophobic/born again Christian bullshit. All of that comes from him being a narcissistic baby. That said... Rust In Peace is an amazing album!
    michaeltheyoung
    gypsyblues7373 wrote: He does have a point...for a country where freedom is speech is so prized, supposedly, heaven forbid you say anything un-PC to piss of any one of the thousands of interest groups out there that'll jump all over you.
    Freedom of speech...I do not think it means what you think it means. You can say whatever you want -- and then I get to say whatever I want, about what a moron you are. Some of you guys seem to think that the First Amendment protects a person from being criticized by other private persons for their views. That is Sarah Palin logic. It is not our Constitution.
    zalant
    Metallicuh wrote: That's why I hate politics, if someone doesn't agree with you then you're stupid and your opinion doesn't matter to them.
    That's a reason to hate the Internet, in general, too. It has given us the anonymous freedom to spout off about anything/everything moreso than ever before. There will always be disagreement and it will invariably devolve into people calling each other nazis. (Just wait. Check back later in this thread today and see if someone hasn't called someone else a nazi.)
    dennis.1960
    guitar7masta wrote: RATMfan420 wrote: Dave, you dont HAVE to vote for the "lesser of two evils". You're still voting for Evil, and thats not good. Write yourself in! Write in Thomas Jefferson, or Mickey Mouse! The more people who vote for who they legitimately believe ought to be in that office, whether it be president, secretary of state, or whatever, the better chance these scoundrels that are in office have of getting kicked out. As long as we have the "Lesser of two evils" mentality these jackasses will remain in office. Vote for who you believe in, not who you think is going to win. I was once called ignorant and a waste of tax payer dollars for suggesting we not vote for only democrats or republicans. I wish the people would get out of that mindset too, I suppose it is difficult though when the only media outlets we have focus all their time on D's and R's.
    Ya, ever wonder why no other political parties have televised presidential debates? "Democrats and Republicans, two sides of the same coin" - Frank Zappa
    guitar7masta
    RATMfan420 wrote: Dave, you dont HAVE to vote for the "lesser of two evils". You're still voting for Evil, and thats not good. Write yourself in! Write in Thomas Jefferson, or Mickey Mouse! The more people who vote for who they legitimately believe ought to be in that office, whether it be president, secretary of state, or whatever, the better chance these scoundrels that are in office have of getting kicked out. As long as we have the "Lesser of two evils" mentality these jackasses will remain in office. Vote for who you believe in, not who you think is going to win.
    I was once called ignorant and a waste of tax payer dollars for suggesting we not vote for only democrats or republicans. I wish the people would get out of that mindset too, I suppose it is difficult though when the only media outlets we have focus all their time on D's and R's.
    GenerationKILL
    Dave Mustaine endorses Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum. Sounds like hes pretty republican to me. You're right Dave people DON'T want to hear from you as a republican, especially when you say things like "America is speeding towards socialism." You don't know what you're talking about and when you say shit like that, SURPRISE! you're alienating ALL of your fans who live in countries like that by implying socialism, or elements of it are WRONG. I live in Canada, where we have a SOCIALIZED MEDICINE program, theres nothing wrong with it and my country enjoys alot more "freedom" than you backwards republicans like to boast that you have. When you give credit to guys like Rick Santorum, who openly backs removing gay rights how do you think it makes your GAY FANS feel? Your an idiot Dave Mustaine, especially when you KNOW you backed the democrats in the NINETIES (look it up, for anyone who doesn't believe me.) James Hetfield is right: Just shut your mouth.
    purplexing
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: Dnouw wrote: PatVanHalen5150 wrote: Godforbid a person of fame happens to not like Obama, and a shitstorm creates itself. If he was one of the sheeple sucking on the liberal tit of America, nobody would flinch. He hit the nail on the head though. "I'm not voting for who's best, I'm voting for the lesser of 2 evils." Bumper sticker: We're All Screwed 2012. See morons like you are the problem, just like Dave. You spread lies and misinformation. Its one thing to have an opinion, its another thing to be ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. Go whine more because the "liberal media" is an illusion created by.....the media. Really? Besides Dave, Uncle Ted, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone & Robert Duvall, name me at least 5 more persons of fame (musician or actor) that openly speak about being conservative. Didn't think so. Fact: 98% of Hollywood is staunchly liberal. Always has been.
    1. Gloria Estefan 2. Jessica Simpson 3. Stephen Baldwin 4. Bruce Willis 5. CHUCK NORRIS!!!!! 98%? where the **** did you get that number. It's 100% idiotic. As I keep readin your post, It becomes more and more idiotic, and I feel that I'm becoming dumber by reading it. HOLLYWOOD HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN LIBERAL, MORON! Does the name Ronald Reagan ring any bells? Hollywood use to be very conservative. And hell, if it's "staunchly liberal", how did Arnold ever get elected? And most importantly, the media is not Hollywood. I don't even know where to begin in that asinine statement But back to the article. Let's see: 1. Believes Obama is destroying the country 2. Believes Obama wasn't born here 3. Believes that small government is better 4. Believes that Obama is a socialist 5. Believes Rick Santorum is the best candidate 6 Believes in the NWO 7. Is a christian nut job 8. Doesn't agree with gay marriage Just because you say you aren't a Republican doesn't make it true. Obviously a PR move, because he knows the backlash of choosing a political party.
    J.R. Legrasse
    I'd been listening to Megadeth - seeing them live many times and buying their albums and merch in multiple formats - for well over 20 years. Due to Dave's erosion into a conspiracy theory spewing dominionist xenophobe over the past few years, I no longer purchase their albums, DVDs or shirts and won't see them live ever again. He has every right to expound his misinformed right-wing propaganda to his hysterical heart's content, that's free speech. And I have every right to boycott such hateful paranoid lunacy, that's the free market.
    Northernmight
    Majority of musicians in the world comes from countries with more than two parties. Just pointing that out.
    pinheadslts75
    jhart08 wrote: you don't have to be a republican to disagree with what the democratic party does, or vice versa (contrary to popular brainwashed belief.)
    His support for Rick Santorum kind of destroys any credibility he has to claiming political independence.
    swave75
    Maiden95 wrote: I will still go see Dave and Megadeth in concert no doubt, because I understand he speaks his mind and has his own opinion. Plus he doesn't let it get in the way of his music. I've never wanted to see Ted Nugent for that reason
    Yeah I saw Ted Nugent not too long ago and he was still complaining about Bill Clinton.
    swave75
    I just thought of something. Let's all just play guitar and leave the politics to the politicians. And Neil Young.
    kratos379
    Tonganation wrote: Doesn't he realize he still has freedom of speech? The flip side is that so do other people. They have a right to disagree with him, and publicly if they wish. It comes with the right. You can't please everyone all the time, so speak freely and don't worry about alienating anyone. Anyone who truly cares about the music isn't gonna let a musicians political opinions get in the way of them enjoying it if the music's still good.
    "It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them." -Mark Twain That quote is the first thing that came to my mind after reading your post. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should and I'm sure that's what went through his mind when he said that.
    MegadethFan18
    Dnouw wrote: Bumper sticker: We're All Screwed 2012. See morons like you are the problem , just like Dave. You spread lies and misinformation. Its one thing to have an opinion, its another thing to be ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. Go whine more because the "liberal media" is an illusion created by.....the media.
    What's the solution? Getting rid of UG's comments section?
    jeleopard
    jackson_kingv wrote: Dave mustaine could endorse beavers and id still listen to megadeth
    Pretty much this. GO BEAVERS \m/
    J.R. Legrasse
    pinheadslts75 wrote: His support for Rick Santorum kind of destroys any credibility he has to claiming political independence.
    "Political independence" is the least of it. Santorum and other dominionists of his ilk want to transform America into a theocracy through legislation - the sneakier, less overt 21st Century version of The Crusades and The Inquisition. "Born-again" (what a self-deluding term) christian mythology cult inductees such as Mustaine are often the most vocal and impassioned supporters of this mindset, feeling that they have to prove how committed they are both to themselves and - in Mustaine's particular case, his latest addiction - the church. They're called "believers" for a reason.
    djc707
    "It's really weird that the music industry and the film and television industry, you almost gotta be a Democrat. It's like if you're a Republican, you're kind of like a guy that people don't really wanna hear from, because they look at Republicans like people who complain,"
    Dave has a really good point. It's unfortunate that the media takes sides like that. Real bias right there.
    RATMfan420
    Dave, you dont HAVE to vote for the "lesser of two evils". You're still voting for Evil, and thats not good. Write yourself in! Write in Thomas Jefferson, or Mickey Mouse! The more people who vote for who they legitimately believe ought to be in that office, whether it be president, secretary of state, or whatever, the better chance these scoundrels that are in office have of getting kicked out. As long as we have the "Lesser of two evils" mentality these jackasses will remain in office. Vote for who you believe in, not who you think is going to win.
    gypsyblues7373
    He does have a point...for a country where freedom is speech is so prized, supposedly, heaven forbid you say anything un-PC to piss of any one of the thousands of interest groups out there that'll jump all over you.
    BradTheBluefish
    Maiden95 wrote: he doesn't let it get in the way of his music. I've never wanted to see Ted Nugent for that reason
    Totally agree!
    pwrmax
    You know what, if someone cares that much about politics that they won't listen to a band then it's their loss and they will miss out on the awesomeness that is Megadeth.
    Epi g-310
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: Godforbid a person of fame happens to not like Obama, and a shitstorm creates itself. If he was one of the sheeple sucking on the liberal tit of America, nobody would flinch. He hit the nail on the head though. "I'm not voting for who's best, I'm voting for the lesser of 2 evils." Bumper sticker: We're All Screwed 2012.
    I'm not! I'm going to have health insurance for the first time in my life, so that's pretty cool.
    CaliforniaKid
    He may claim that he's not a Republican, but if you're a bible thumping christian that endorses the uber-conservative/psycho Rick Santorum then guess what... you're endorsing the Repugnicans. I must say I appreciate the fact that Mustaine has gone on record as being a former drug addict turned christian conservative. Now we can all see where he's really coming from. He's afraid that if he speaks his mind as far as politics and religion that he'll lose his fan base. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you give your opinion be ready for people to disagree, and maybe stop buying your records.
    jhart08
    you don't have to be a republican to disagree with what the democratic party does, or vice versa (contrary to popular brainwashed belief.)
    gypsyblues7373
    Freedom of speech...I do not think it means what you think it means. You can say whatever you want -- and then I get to say whatever I want, about what a moron you are. Some of you guys seem to think that the First Amendment protects a person from being criticized by other private persons for their views. That is Sarah Palin logic. It is not our Constitution.
    It's not about being criticized, it's about being shamed for your personal views and then railroaded into putting on a facade of "please-forgive-me". I mean, seriously, how many times has a celeb expressed their opinion on something (right or wrong), and then slammed, shunned, and blackballed until they put out some ridiculous, insincere statement asking for forgiveness? Then they get together with the offended parties for some "spiritual healing". F'ing pleeeeze! It's so stupid, but it's almost become an industry now.
    DexterF
    flaphead325 wrote: You can talk freely about your opinions most of the time, you just can't talk stupid or irrationnal...
    Take any teenager attending high school. dress em up in black, with a "Cannibal Corpse" shirt and send them to school. Go to a hick town. Enter a bar. Make a causal remark that gay marriage should be legal. Take someone running a medium size business who has a tendency to appear in local press. Have him state that the United States of A's primary economy driveshaft is war machinery that has to be sent elsewhere in the world raiding any country for resources and that the States need to change the course. Garnish that with pointing out that USA owe China boatloads of money in a magnitude that makes learning mandarin sound like a good idea. Have fun.
    jeffaz02t
    I am liberal as ****, but I won't let politics prevent me from being a Megadeth fan. Dave can have his opinions, I can have mine. However, that does not change the fact that Holy Wars is one of the best metal songs I have ever heard.