Mustaine: 'Obama Was Not Born In America'

The Megadeth frontman discusses his Obama theory, says Rick Santorum is like JFK, and that American rights are being taken away "every day". Do you agree?

Mustaine: 'Obama Was Not Born In America'
0
Dave Mustaine insists President Obama was not born in America, and expressed his concern that American's rights are being taken away every day. "I have a lot of questions about [Obama], but certainly not where he was born," Mustaine said (via Noisecreep). "I know he was born somewhere else than America." When asked why he was so sure when Obama's birth certificate shows he was born in Hawaii, Mustaine responded with a question of his own: "How come he was invisible until he became whatever he was in Illinois?" he asks. "They have no record of him." When pressed on the matter, Mustaine asked to change the subject. He went on to reiterate his support for Republican candidate Rick Santorum, saying he "looks like a really cool President, a JFK kind of guy." Mustaine recently caused something of a backlash in the metal community, before distancing himself and saying he would not officially endorse any candidate. So why does the frontman take such an interest in politics? "You have to be to live in America. Things change every day there, you just get more of your rights taken away," he said. Which right is he most worried about? "For me, freedom of speech, because I have a big mouth!" Watch the full interview here:

325 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Krieger91
    Just came in to say : Got to "Mustaine:" and didn't read the rest...
    BigSpence
    We all know UG is just posting this to get a rise out of us. We shouldn't give them the satisfaction. They know these articles about Mustaine get hundreds of comments of arguments. It's just sad.
    zpo83
    How exactly is Santorum like JFK? Both white, Catholic males? The similarities seem to end there.
    Bassy-Justice
    b_flo wrote: Rick Santorum is a socialist disguised as a Republican. He wants to rule out abortion, porn and homosexuality...I think those are socialistic views.
    You. You are the second person I've come across in a Mustaine article who has no idea what socialism is. Socialism boils down to a desire of the government to control the economy in order to promote fiscal equality throughout the masses (i.e., you'd make the same amount of money as a doctor, as a stripper, and as Johnny Depp), and actually pushes for equal rights for everybody. Getting rid of porn, abortion and homosexuality are all conservative ideals. ...In an unrelated note, I noticed those all deal with sex. Have something on your mind, do you?
    WhoAMEye
    Spence Dude dont p*ss off the Mods... They can f*cking see you man... ssshhh.
    damage_inc07
    goochmaster15 wrote: >Come to UG > Sees headline for dave mustaine article > Sigh of disappointment
    > Come to UG > Sees headline for dave mustaine article > Sigh of disappointment > Shrugs and spends rest of workday reading comment war.
    Pan-Tallica
    BigSpence wrote: We all know UG is just posting this to get a rise out of us. We shouldn't give them the satisfaction.
    Yup, it's all a big conspiracy... we just want to piss you off so we can ban you, MUAHAHA! What do we have to gain from "getting a rise out of you"? How would that give the site "satisfaction"? The fact is, this is a controversial issue centered around a person that many guitarists view as a MUSIC ICON. You don't have to get pissed off and argue in order to care about the content of the article. Life is full of controversial issues, and if you approach them with the mentality that you are required to "rise" and get upset, you're going to have a difficult time emotionally coping with life's problems. This is the nature of many current events - controversial, heated, and so on. If you want us not to post about controversial issues in order to protect your emotional fragility, say the word. But I bet you'd get bored of reading the "news" pretty quickly.
    rebreh
    UG's next headline: Van Halen dead Article: Van Halen said, when eating Ben & Jerry's ice cream, "I died and gone to heaven."
    bulusvanua
    linkwray22 wrote: My opinion: Right on Dave. Very brave for an entertainer to speak the truth. The liberal entertainment establishment will now focus its wrath on Dave. He will certainly be blacklisted. "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr
    uh but thats not the truth since Obama was born in Hawaii, and there certainly was a record of him before he became, ahem, "whatever he was in Illinois" to quote the politically informed Mr. Mustaine.
    iommi600
    Oh, btw, you guys think that Mustaine is a troll? Nick Menza once told him that Jesus can walk on water because he's an alien. THAT'S A TROLL.
    KJP
    In other news, David Cameron is from Nigeria, Nicolas Sarkozi is from Pakistan, and Bashar al-Assad is Canadian.
    Pan-Tallica
    BigSpence wrote: I'm referring to the fact that this site posts articles about everything that Mustaine says out loud, purely to get more readers. I love how mods on this site think they're some kind of oracle on every topic imaginable and can never accept what other people have to say if they disagree. Come on, man.
    That I disagree with you necessarily means that I don't accept what you say. It doesn't mean I think I'm an oracle. Don't assume I'm pompous when, to my knowledge, I have never engaged you in any sort of discussion. Mustaine is a popular guy, and he says a lot of controversial shit - that's pretty factual. I won't disagree that UG posts these articles to get page hits. I think we can both agree on that. The site needs page hits, in order to sustain a large website which, I imagine, consumes a fair bit of capital. Page hits are the site's primary means of making money, which is obviously required to run the site. You simply won't generate that level of interest with non-controversial articles. The site needs more readers. Sorry. I agree that there is a bit too much of an emphasis on certain artists, but you have to remember that the world is not spewing with guitar-related news.
    WhoAMEye
    linkwray22 wrote: My opinion: Right on Dave. Very brave for an entertainer to speak the truth. The liberal entertainment establishment will now focus its wrath on Dave. He will certainly be blacklisted. "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr
    What Truth? He is citing an opinion... His whole why didn't we hear about him before blah blah blah is bull. Read Wikipedia they seem to know where he has been. and when did nationality make someone good or bad at what they do. I know it is illegal and all but frankly the last guy was a warmongering douche and no one questioned where he was from (maybe because he was white)
    spiff-corgi
    The thing is Obama isn't even black. He's half black, half white. But nobody ever calls him half white. Hell, no one even calls him half black. He's just BLACK. Truthers are just common racists who hide behind nonsense and are forced to backpedal every other press release they do. Honestly, Obama's roasting of Donald Trump after he released his birth certificate is one of the most badass things a leader of a country has ever done.
    KBI2113
    A) How come Sarah Palin was invisible before she became John McCain's VP choice? Now she's everywhere. B) "I like Santorum, he's a JFK kind of guy"..... JFK was a democrat
    BenjaminFields
    lVlaniac wrote: I once thought Mustaine had common sense. What a fool i was
    And I wonder if incessant drinking is what really got him kicked out of Metallica, or maybe they were just tired of hearing him spew his incredibly ignorant views.
    barbquebutt
    Mustaine has lost his ****ing mind. He found God and went insane. He used to be so against the Republican machine owning America, and now he's supporting it. It makes me sad.
    bassplr19
    What a dipshit! Let's support the guy that would have no problem trouncing of the freedom of speech, religion, and whatever else is "unchristian"
    damage_inc07
    Im no Obama fan, but this "birther" stuff is getting rediculous. If Mustaine wants to bash Obama there are plenty of valid arguments he could bring up instead of this crap.
    JazzGuy111
    JFK: All of us do not have equal talent, but all of us should have an equal opportunity to develop our talents. Rick Santorum: "Higher income people don't have to pay taxes if they don't want to." Yes, Dave, he sounds just like JFK.
    Iommianity
    lol at conspiracy theorists. The government ****s you in the ass through common legislation, and they look you in the eye while they do it. They might lie or distort the truth, but they do it quite openly, in spite of reality. If you're being deceived by the mainstream media, it's because of the favoritism in coverage of certain issues vs. others. People vote against their interests all the time because of this. These conspiracies exist to keep you distracted; do you think the American government worries about something like WikiLeaks because they think the 'truth' about Obama or 9/11 will finally come out?
    Mack888
    KJP wrote: In other news, David Cameron is from Nigeria, Nicolas Sarkozi is from Pakistan, and Bashar al-Assad is Canadian.
    David Cameron from Nigeria? That would explain a lot, the robbing Tory bastard! That did make me laugh though! I'm no expert on American politics, but who the hell gives a shit if he was born in America? He's doin' a far better job than that ***** Bush ever did, the world is still picking up the pieces from his presidency.
    lmfclover
    jurnag12 wrote: Also, don't dishonor JFK by comparing him to Santorum. And in response to some of the other comments here: Stop being a stereotypical American and using any type of political view remotely related to communism/socialism as an insult. Both are completely valid ways of government.
    I concur. It seems like the right-wingers are just throwing that term around like it should be the ultimate argument winner/insult
    mradubz33
    BigSpence wrote: At least you can be mature about it, unlike other mods I've seen. I appreciate this site for access to tabs for free, as well as lessons and forums. I understand this is a music site, not specifically guitar, but the political discussions that take place almost daily get extremely tiresome, in my opinion. I hate seeing people argue over things they have little to no knowledge of.[/quote] Then don't read the articles/discussions if you find them so tiresome. YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHOOSE!!
    Michael Stewart
    cool#9 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't have to be born in American to be president. You can be born outside the U.S. if your parents are U.S. citizens. He was born in Kenya to American parents, so he's well within the boundaries, unless of course I'm wrong.
    Yes you are wrong. You have to be born in the US. JFK was born here but spent most of his childhood in England but since he was born here he was eligible.
    jurnag12
    Also, don't dishonor JFK by comparing him to Santorum. And in response to some of the other comments here: Stop being a stereotypical American and using any type of political view remotely related to communism/socialism as an insult. Both are completely valid ways of government.
    WhoAMEye
    Trent Armitage wrote: WhoAMEye wrote: MR.LZZYHALE wrote: Oh boy did you really have to bring up race I am just deeply suspicious of the fact that his nationality is constantly being called into question by certain parties in America. I think that there is a biased towards this thinking because he is black and in fairness it is about the only credible thing that people can perceive that they can use against him. Affirmative Action is racist
    It is irrelevant in this instance Obama has as much right to lead America as the 42 American men who preceeded him and the unknown number of men and women who will follow. Would the authorities in American not have run a huge background check on every candidate since time immemorial to make sure a foreign national didn't become president. This nationality issue is a method of discrediting him and his race is the catalyst.
    BriGuy7727
    I think it's hilarious he compares Santorum to JFK when Santorum said that JFK "makes him puke." Santorum is an idiot...and so is Mustaine. I used to defend Megadeth & Mustaine, but I can't do it anymore...
    Flynn Oslo
    Id rather listen to what Obama has to say rather than Mustane. In fact, id rather hear what LIAM FOOKEN GALLAGHER has to say rather than this jerkoff. Dave is nothing more than a racist, sexist, homophobic, born again god botherer. He not someone who follows the teachings of Christ. He was so much more interesting when he was metal. But now, we can sum up his entire belief system by reading a single interview. His type are no longer needed in the world. Especially in the music buisness, where people go to escape his oppressing type. Shame on you Dave Mustaine!
    cnc4c34
    Quit bitching about UG. You read the title of the article. If you don't like it, don't read it.
    flaphead325
    b_flo wrote: Rick Santorum is a socialist disguised as a Republican. He wants to rule out abortion, porn and homosexuality...I think those are socialistic views.
    You should check out what socialistic means.
    thebigredjj10
    Botman wrote: Dave may be a completely moron with other topics but he finally said something that has some truth. If you guys have even looked into the whole Obama birth certificate scandal you would know that Obama spent 2 million to cover up his Kenyan birth certificate. His wife admits Kenya is his HOME COUNTRY (meaning born there):
    then here is this website that actually has the birth certificate that Obama tried to cover up: http://www.thepowerhour.com/news4/obama_kenyan_birth_certifi cate.htm Then if you downloaded the birth certificate from the White House website and opened it Adobe Photoshop you could remove the layer the adds more numbers and letters to the birth certificate. I think they fixed it now but WTF?. It's not a conspiracy theory when it's hiding in plain view. Doesn't look like Dave did the real research so he's still gonna look like a moron here.
    I think she meant that his family was from there. The whole birth certificate thing is just a red herring to distract the people (republicans AND democrats) from the real issues. Such as the country being slowly sold out to large corporations, unnecessary and violent wars, and the fact that the whole election process is a joke to give people the semblance of freedom. The government is 'owned' by the richest of the rich, in a plutarchy. They dictate the policy and they make the decisions. America claims to be fighting for democracy in the world, when in reality they live in a false democracy, where they can choose out of a select few their leader, but have no say on any issue.
    bassthunder
    Dear UG: STOP POSTING "MUSTAINE-SAYS" ARTICLES. Maybe if we all just ignore him he'll shut up and make music.
    Ghostmaker
    Dave is the Rick Santorum of metal. He just keeps saying stupid shit to piss people off.
    K33nbl4d3
    He wasn't born in America? Oh, God, he's a crook! Wait! I'm half Dutch, half English and I was born in Germany... Shit, I must be a terrorist...