Mustaine Talks Satanism And Gay Marriage

Dave Mustaine has confronted recent criticism surrounding his views on politics, homosexuality, satanism, and how they relate to his Christian faith.

Mustaine Talks Satanism And Gay Marriage
47
Dave Mustaine has confronted recent criticism surrounding his views on politics, homosexuality and satanism. He spoke at length to Infowars (via Blabbermouth). You can see a video of the full interview below. Mustaine said his support for Republican candidate Rick Santorum was twisted out of context: "The second person who picked up the story said I endorsed Rick Santorum. And I put out a press release after that that said I never used the word 'endorsed'. I said that I liked the guy because he jumped off the campaign trail to go be with his sick daughter. Now that, to me, whether you're a football player or an astronaut, if you put your family first, you get kudos in my book." On his evasive comments regarding gay marriage, where he cited his Christianity for not supporting it: "I'm a Christian, I'm a heterosexual man. It's like me worrying about cat owners. I don't like cats. I don't have anything against them, but I don't want one. I know that's a really crazy connection ... gay stuff is not part of my life." Mustaine said he chooses not to perform alongside self-confessed satanist bands since he was "saved" by Christianity: "I don't wanna play with any Satanic bands. I'll play with bands that have darkness in them, because we all have a little darkness in us or we wouldn't be human. But guys that are confessed Satanists, I don't really have time for that." Finally, Mustaine says his recent performance with Metallica at their 30th Anniversary celebrations was "closure" after so many years away from the band. "When I got fired [from Metallica] that day [in 1983], there was so much I wanted to still do with those guys. If I would have got a warning, it would have been different. I would have said, 'Oh, sure, man. I wanna be in the band. I love this band; it's my band, too. If my drinking is causing a problem, I'll be comfortable doing something else.' But it didn't really happen that way, and I think it was necessary, because we have two great bands now." He didn't comment on his claim that African women should "put a plug in it" if they can't afford to feed their children. Watch the full interview here:

248 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Pan-Tallica
    WhoAMEye wrote: I didn't realize that Christianity could make one man such a douche. Bet this is taken off in the next 10 mins Hello Moderators!
    Hello.
    LeakyFlask
    So now you're dissing on cats are you? That's it! YOU'VE CROSSED THE FUCKING LINE, MUSTAINE!
    Grudgeshredder
    Oh great, another "Mustaine says" article that's gonna get fanboys and bashers starting the week out rolling. And it's probably gonna be on the front page. Oh well, at least album #14 is being written
    AnnihilationUK
    He's entitled to an opinion. Some people agree, some people don't. You can't really argue with opinion.
    IAmDanMan1
    "I'm a Christian, I'm a heterosexual man. It's like me worrying about cat owners. I don't like cats. I don't have anything against them, but I don't want one. I know that's a really crazy connection ... gay stuff is not part of my life." Haha, oh dear, he could have worded that argument a lot better...
    )ThunderhorsE(
    guitar7masta wrote: "I'm a Christian, I'm a heterosexual man. It's like me worrying about cat owners. I don't like cats. I don't have anything against them, but I don't want one. I know that's a really crazy connection ... gay stuff is not part of my life." then why are you so worried about gays getting married? gay "stuff" isn't a part of my life either, but i still support their right to be treated equally
    as far as I've seen, Dave is not out actively campaigning against gay marriage, he just answered a fuucking question that got thrown his way in an interview.
    Basti95
    Mustaine Talks
    Oh god no, please no...Dave? ...DAVE! Just hang on a mi-
    Satanism And Gay Marriage
    shit.
    TimTheWizard
    so he doens't like to have a gay up his ass and doesn't wanna perform with Satanists, isn't that what every HETEROsexual man would do? O_O He didn't say he hates gays, he just isn't one himself... right?
    )ThunderhorsE(
    tennesseehild wrote: wastedkitten wrote: Doesn't understand Satanism obviously .. Love how everyone disliked this post. You're right though I'm a satanist and it his nothing to do with worshipping the devil as Mr. Mustaine or alot of people think. It's about self worship, self improvement... being your own god. I love all those "big four" bands especially Megadeth, Metallica, and Slayer; hence, I follow the rants of Mustaine. If I may take the offensive for a second the MAJORITY of christianity is to close minded to conduct research on a religion with the word "satan" in it so they are oblivious to the true more or less peaceful nature of the religion. Satanism= being human.
    doesn't sound much like you have jack shit to do with satan honestly.
    BlackDeath92
    I really don't see why everyone is getting pissed with Mustaine. He's speaking his own opinion just like any other person. If you don't agree with it, though shit. If you do agree, that's fine too.
    DaniArrow
    Why do people even still print what he has to say about politics, sexual orientation or whatnot? All he's good at is play guitar and write Metal songs. It's like if you'd ask a eunuch about f*cking and post it on a website about abstinence.
    xHellbound
    AnnihilationUK wrote: You can't really argue with opinion.
    You must be new here.
    Air_Stryker
    Simple as this, I respect his music, not his politics. I think Dave Mustaine as a musician and Dave Mustaine as a political entity are two completely different subjects. Perhaps two completely different people.
    MatasTeen
    This website stopped updating on music a LOOOOONG time ago. All they consider news is "BLACK SABBATH POSSIBLE REUNION" or "DAVE MUSTAINE: I'M ANGRY AT YOUR MOM". What about bands like Animals As Leaders, Crosses, Phish, etc. It's as if they WANT their only audience to be seniors and butthurt br00tal teenage guitarists.
    westley23j
    tennesseehild wrote: wastedkitten wrote: Doesn't understand Satanism obviously .. Love how everyone disliked this post. You're right though I'm a satanist and it his nothing to do with worshipping the devil as Mr. Mustaine or alot of people think. It's about self worship, self improvement... being your own god. I love all those "big four" bands especially Megadeth, Metallica, and Slayer; hence, I follow the rants of Mustaine. If I may take the offensive for a second the MAJORITY of christianity is to close minded to conduct research on a religion with the word "satan" in it so they are oblivious to the true more or less peaceful nature of the religion. Satanism= being human.
    i have to disagree there. i think the MINORITY of Christians are so closed minded that they see the word "Satan" and get turned off. its just those uber-closed minded Christians that give the NORMAL ones a bad name. ***COUGH*** Westboro Baptist Church ***COUGH***
    Abacus11
    "But guys that are confessed Satanists, I don't really have time for that." Are there really "Satanic" bands anymore? It's so cheesy and ridiculous.
    westley23j
    AnnihilationUK wrote: He's entitled to an opinion. Some people agree, some people don't. You can't really argue with opinion.
    oh you cant?! you must not have been a UG member for long.
    xZoSoxSwAnSoNgx
    sure. has he said sum things that were a little.. out there? yeah. but i think we can all understand having our words taken out of context. The news or the media or w.e. does it all the time to make their own headline news. i mean which head line is guna get mmore atention? "DAVE MUSTAINE ENDORSES SANTOURUM, HATES GAYS" or "DAVE MUSTAINE SAY SANTOURUM IS 'AN ALRIGHT GUY'" hes said some things that were out of line but at the same time, some (not all) of his comments have been blown out of proportion
    yunesbb
    i love mustaine cuz he says whats on his mind and he doesnt care about what people might think about him
    iommi600
    Root Beer wrote: The reason we don't support gay marriage is because we believe it is a holy SACRAMENT (one of the few) to be shared EXCLUSIVELY between a man and a woman. It is not because we "hate gays". We have nothing against gays (at least the REAL Christians don't). We are just following God's word as it is written.
    Which doesn't mean that they shouldn't have a civil wedding, right? It just can't be settled by the church.
    Macabre_Turtle
    Semperfidelis23 wrote: Q: Should Megadeth play tonight? A: Well, since I'm not in Megadeth the answer would be no Oh my gosh. It's morals! Megadeath playing, women voting, it's not a moral issue! Homosexuality is.
    Women voting is a moral issue. Homosexuality is not. The only thing that makes something immoral is that it hurts people (other than the person doing it). You know what doesn't hurt people? Homosexuality. You know what does hurt people? Homophobia.
    WhoAMEye
    I didn't realize that Christianity could make one man such a douche. Bet this is taken off in the next 10 mins Hello Moderators!
    Bassy-Justice
    Macabre_Turtle wrote: BlackDeath92 wrote: I really don't see why everyone is getting pissed with Mustaine. He's speaking his own opinion just like any other person. If you don't agree with it, though shit. If you do agree, that's fine too. "Gay people shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else because I'm not gay" is not an opinion. It's a logical fallacy. And I don't think many people are going to be offended by him not touring with Satanic bands. I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't do it either.
    I think you're misunderstanding him. He's just saying that it's against his beliefs, but the way he worded it hints that he doesn't personally care. As for my opinion on the man, do I agree with everything he says? Of course not, but no one's going to agree with everyone on everything. However, I do respect his willingness to speak his mind. It takes balls to have a dissenting opinion and to voice it in today's culture, and I'd say balls he's got. Diatribe over.
    Kenjamin91
    I wonder if Gaahl knows about this. Maybe he'll end up torturing Mustaine or something.
    fede01_8
    there aren't satanist band. The ones that claim to be are just for shock value
    Semperfidelis23
    You're right the Theistic satanism more often then not goes by "Crowleyism" rather then Satanism though. The two are catagorized the same way because "satan" in it's original translation means one who opposes god, hence you see God himself called satan at several points in the ld testament (don't ask which parts I don't remember). As far as fllowing out sinful desires etc. that's all a point of view. It is only seen as a sin rather then self improvement because we are taught to believe so by the christian church (I only use the christian church as an example because I was brought up Lutheran). However if you had no prior knowledge of sin you may view it as I do; merely striving to achieve your own goals "being human/ american". I will say like all religions there are extremists that take religion to a whole new level breaking the law and morales to achieve their ends.
    sin is defined as missing the mark. The "mark", regardless of religon, beliefs, etc. is morality. Morality is something all humans have. It's basic human rights, like not stealing, not killing, etc.what you believe morality is is your deal. I'm not going to harp on that. But, you should also be nice to people, help those less lucky than yourself. Some of those people may have brought it on themselves, by addiction or whatever. But some people are born into it, or they had medical costs, or something. Even atheists believe that, even though it stems from the Bible and God. What I Interprit your beliefs to be is; disregard everybody and their problems but yourself. If they cant help themselves, then screw them. That doesn't sit right with me. I may not give hundreds of dollars away every month, but I try to help when I can.
    )ThunderhorsE(
    the only thing more annoying than constant headlines about Dave Mustaine's opinions? Butthurt atheists bitching about how Christians are subhuman idiots.
    GibsonMan321
    Semperfidelis23 wrote: Well it does say in the book of Leviticus that lying with a man as one does with a women is detestible. But then again it was written by man thousands of years ago. Since then it has been rewritten, reinterperated, and reprinted possibly countless times....by man. And for some damn reason it is percieved to be the word of god...even though it was written by man..thousands of years ago Written by man, inspired by God. Even though it was written long ago, it still holds true today. Have human principles changed that much? No, what's wrong in the Old Testement is still wrong today. Society's rules and morals can't change that. Rape is still wrong, murder is still wrong, lying is still wrong, even if the world tells you it's ok.
    "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives." Deuteronomy 22:28-29 You still think that's okay? How about this: "I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. 11 A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man;[b] she must be quiet." - 1 Timothy 2:9-12 Shaming women for what they want to wear? Telling them that they have no authority over a man? That they are subservient beings? I sure as shit hope you haven't ever eaten pork or crustaceans (Leviticus 11:7-12), or worn any mixed threads and clothing material (Leviticus 19:19). In the bible, Lot offers his own daughters to be raped: "Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof." - (Genesis 19:8) Do you believe the earth is 6,000 years old? Do you believe god murdered everyone on earth by sending down a massive flood while some desert serf built an ark and somehow put 2 of every animal on it? You cherry-pickers who decide that some parts of the bible are more true than others and overlook the bad parts, and that it somehow should hold authority over everyone else absolutely disgust me. You'll say that genesis or Noah's ark are metaphors, yet interpret other parts of the bible literally. Who gives you the power to say what is and isn't right? Christianity is not the only religion in the world you know. Why is the bible correct? Why are all other religions wrong? Being homosexual is NOT a choice. It has been proven to be genetically and psychologically caused. If it were a choice, no one would choose it. Do you honestly believe that millions of people are in some sort of massive conspiracy against you? What possible motivation could they have to CHOOSE to be gay? On the subject of homosexuality being "unnatural", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_... , It has been observed in over 1,500 different species of animals on earth. What the hell does that even mean in the first place? Medicine isn't "natural". Clothes aren't "natural". Most food isn't "natural". Yet, you go to the doctor when you get sick, you go to the store to buy a coat for when it's cold and shoes to protect your feet, and you go the the supermarket to buy food. You live in a state of denial and rationalization if you honestly believe the bible holds any amount of truth in it. It isn't even proven that Jesus Christ was a real person, at least a real person in respect to how he was portrayed in the New Testament. He is most likely a historical myth. Society WILL evolve with or without religion. It already has. I hope that in the future that humans will regard Christianity and all other religions as the myths they are, paralleled to how we treat ancient greek, roman, egyptian, and native american religions today. I HOPE that no one will ever have to face bigotry in the name of god, and in the name of faith, and in the name of morality, when the entire basis of those beliefs are far worse than any modern society could ever hope to be.
    Macabre_Turtle
    BlackDeath92 wrote: I really don't see why everyone is getting pissed with Mustaine. He's speaking his own opinion just like any other person. If you don't agree with it, though shit. If you do agree, that's fine too.
    "Gay people shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else because I'm not gay" is not an opinion. It's a logical fallacy. And I don't think many people are going to be offended by him not touring with Satanic bands. I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't do it either.
    tennesseehild
    hansome21 wrote: The problem on this page is the more intelligent people (like gibsonman321) are trying to explain things but the less intelligent people keep saying it's their opinion. When something is a logical fallacy it is not an opinion, it is a fact, it IS a "logical fallacy". Perhaps more religious people should take logic classes and learn all the fallacy's that people have been using to control masses like sheep for thousands of years. But then again, if they did that, there would be no more religion. It's a catch 22. I think more people need to learn the difference between opinion and fact. It is your opinion that marriage is to reproduce, it is not a fact. By that logic, millions of people should not be allowed to marry as they are sterile. Does the church ever speak up against them? Should they still be allowed to marry? Of course they should, but when it's a gay person it's easier to hide behind your prejudice and be a bigot who just says "gross".
    {applause} like
    killektrika
    )ThunderhorsE( wrote: Macabre_Turtle wrote: )ThunderhorsE( wrote: Macabre_Turtle wrote: BlackDeath92 wrote: I really don't see why everyone is getting pissed with Mustaine. He's speaking his own opinion just like any other person. If you don't agree with it, though shit. If you do agree, that's fine too. "Gay people shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else because I'm not gay" is not an opinion. It's a logical fallacy. And I don't think many people are going to be offended by him not touring with Satanic bands. I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't do it either. Grab a dictionary. It IS an opinion, as is you saying it's a logical fallacy. Oh fine, sure. Call it an opinion. But being an opinion doesn't make it any more valid or any less blatantly stupid. Adolf Hitler believed that the Jews (and many others, obviously) don't deserve to live. Sure, it's just his opinion. But why do I have to respect that? you don't have to respect his opinion, just that he has the right to have his opinion. in my opinion, you're just as much a bigoted douche as Mustaine or Mr. Hitler, but I fully respect you and your right to an opinion.
    If Adolf Hitler would've spoken his anti-semitic beliefs out, I would've respected his opinion, whether anyone else did or not. The part where he screwed up was the holocaust. Having an opinion against a certain group of people is not 'bigotry', that's just a part of freedom. Bigotry comes in when you threaten someone else's freedom under the pretext of your opinion.
    Kenjisan231
    I disagree with Dave on his views, but that's what they are, his views. He answered the questions, explained his responses, and is sticking to what he believes, not much else we can do. Is there a difference between speaking your views and campaigning to make those views reality? Some would say just by talking about it you are trying to promote a different world. But in this case, he was asked a question and he responded, not much else but that. I can be honest like him, I really don't like the shit he says, but if I want people to respect what I have to say, then I have to respect what everyone else has to say.
    GibsonMan321
    )ThunderhorsE( wrote: k that last post got messed up. here's the deal, if you acutally had READ the bible and not googled 'quotes to win arguments with christians about homosexuality' you would know this. all that shit about raping women and not eating pork and shrimp in the Old Testament pertains to Judaism. Christ said 'in me the law of moses is done away' or something along those lines. he does, as previously stated, say that homosexuality is a sin... That being said, I am not Christ, nor am I perfect. My name is Christian, and I aim to be worthy of my namesake in that he was a perfect example of kindness and unconditional love. He doesn't love straight people any more than gay people, and it's not my place to judge anybody for any reason. Some of the people I love the most in this world are gay and I couldn't care less - that's as close to true Christianity as I can be in that regard. To love them with an open heart.
    The old testament is still a part of the bible. If Christians believed that it only pertains to Judaism, then they wouldn't be so opposed to the fact that homosexuality is not a choice, that the earth is not 6,000 years old, that evolution is the truth. I have read through the bible and all of the quotes that I posted are IN CONTEXT and not all of them are even in the Old Testament. In the New Testament, Jesus comes and tells the people (from the New International Version of the bible): 17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:17-20) Jesus himself says that the Old Testament law is still correct and that anyone who disregards it will not go to heaven.
    Minivirus2
    Northernmight wrote: I hate this guy. If you have an opinion - if there is no reason or evidence or ANYTHING supporting said opinion, but tons supporting what you are speaking against, it IS a stupid ****ing opinion. Then you go on to ****ing hammer it into peoples minds - trying to make it seem like your stupid opinion with no grounds for it at all actually matters or is as valid as other peoples', who actually take reality into consideration when speaking. Fucking arrogance, man. So much of it.
    1. Your 'subtle' means of saying his opinion is wrong, IS wrong 2. What? 3. He's a famous musician who's asked lots of questions. Get that, ASKED ? He isn't posting this stuff himself. People ask for his opinion and ask for the interviews, so how can you hate on the guy for answering a question the way he wants. You're entitled to your own opinion so why isn't he? Don't blame the guy for others publishing his statements. You are one of the reasons I cannot stand most people in this world. You're so damn busy trying to tell others why his opinion is wrong, that you cannot fathom the fact that a) everyone, and I mean EVERYONE , is allowed to think what they want and b) YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ ANY OF IT! Try again once you've opened up your mind a little bit.
    Skullivan
    As opposed to all of the other Mustaine articles, he actually provides explanation on this. Self confessed Christian--> doesn't like Satan--> doesn't play with satanic bands. That's understandable.
    the_burning_one
    Remember when UG asked how they could improve their website, and we responded with the simple answer, "Stop posting articles that are intended for nothing but flaming?" Failure.
    rebreh
    Q: Should women be allowed to vote? A: Well, since I'm not a woman the answer would be no
    smash119
    zilosgodie wrote: The only thing wrong with homosexuality is sex. Do you really need to have sex with someone to show how him/her much you love? Apart that a penis wasn't meant for a penis and much less for an anus, its just unnatural.
    Dude- humans are sexual beings. It's a fundamental human right. It's not up to you whether people choose to have sex or not, nor are their pereferences for sexual partners. You can certainly have your opinion though, but don't pretend that people could or should just "choose not to have it" because you don't like it. Sex is an important of loving relationsips for most people.
    Bananafish003
    Oh, the ignorance. Not supporting gay marriage because it's "not a part of his life"? And comparing it to cat owners? Maybe, but cat owners aren't forbidden to own cats by law. That's an awful analogy. Support gay marriage! Nobody's saying that you have to be a part of it, but you should at least allow it to be legal.