New Supergroup? WhoCares

A new supergroup WhoCares features the monster talents of Deep Purple's Ian Gillan and Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi together with other great musicians.

19
A new hard rock/metal supergroup called WhoCares features the monster talents of Deep Purple's Ian Gillan and Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi, who are joined by bassist Jason Newsted, keyboardist Jon Lord, Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain, and HIM's Linde Lindstrm. Built around Gillan and Iommi, WhoCares are about to release their debut single and the project has even loftier goals: raising funds to support the rebuilding of a music school in Gyumri, Armenia. Both Gillan and Iommi have spent a lot of time in Armenia and have dedicated a lot of work to a nation still shocked after the earthquake that struck Armenia on December 7, 1988 at 11:41am. There's some history here: in 1989, within the framework of Rock Aid Armenia, the British rock stars recorded Deep Purple's classic, "Smoke On The Water", and also released a disc called "Rock Aid Armenia". In October 2009, Gillan and Iommi were awarded the Orders Of Honor - which were delivered to them by Prime Minister of Armenia Tigran Sargsyan - for the Armenia Grateful To Rock program, set up to express gratitude to those musicians who participated in the Rock Aid Armenia all those years ago. "Some twenty years ago when the call came, I thought, well at least I've helped", said Iommi, "but it was going to Armenia and seeing the actual devastation caused by the earthquake that really made me realize that funds were still needed. Despite all the money that was raised last time, here was a music school doing their best, forgotten, in basic tin sheds. After the warmth and honor bestowed upon us during our visit, we just had to help make a difference and get the school re-built. And what better way than to hook up with some of rock's greatest players and my old mate Ian, both an honor and a pleasure." "The idea came as Tony and I flew back from Yerevan together after being inspired by the enthusiasm of everyone there to get this thing done", added Gillan. "It was brilliant working with Tony again after all these years; he makes life easy for a singer. The other guys need no introduction do they..." Due for release on May 6, WhoCares issues "Out Of My Mind" and "Holy Water"; the single will be available in the following formats:
  • CD with bonus video clip of Out Of My Mind and a 40-minute documentary that shows Gillan's and Iommi's involvement with the Armenia cause over the years
  • digital download for all of the above
  • 7" vinyl limited to 1000 units worldwide Thanks for the report to RockAAA.com.
  • 169 comments sorted by best / new / date

    comments policy
      RC52190
      John37fold wrote: so called "super-groups" never live up to hype.... look at the miami heat.... they were supposed to be NBA's version of a super group and that was an epic fail...
      First of all... That's a basketball team not a band. Yea supposedly there's a new race car that's built from all the best parts in the world. It's supposed to be revolutionary, but it's safe to say that's unlikely because the last Pirates Of The Caribbean movie was such a big let down. You see what I'm saying? I actually almost forgot what my second point was, but the Heat actually had a pretty good year after that rough start seeing as how they're tied with Boston for 2nd place in their division, so you obviously didn't pay enough attention to the team to use them as an example in an argument.
      postmortemspasm
      "I have an idea, lets raise funds for a music school in Armenia!" "Yeah, and we can make it even better if we limit it to 1000 copies!" "Oh yeah!" *facepalm*
      maiden=gods
      i just wanna hear "smoke on the iron man as he runs to the hills with HIM whilst listening to metallica"
      Soundservant
      Dynamight : What's with all those supergroups with retarded names lately?
      Them Crooked Vultures is a pretty sweet name.
      AC/DCnut
      Lindstrom is engaged to Iommi's daughter, that probably has something to do with it.
      whaip
      pageisgodoneart wrote: Newsted was already in a supergroup, was a good band but they clashed in writing ideas
      Metallica? :p :p
      RC52190
      postmortemspasm wrote: "I have an idea, lets raise funds for a music school in Armenia!" "Yeah, and we can make it even better if we limit it to 1000 copies!" "Oh yeah!" *facepalm*
      It sort of invalidates your point when you intentionally leave out details just to make a point in the first place. Yeah that would be a stupid idea -if- they were only leaving it to 1000 copies total. However since they're only making 1000 vinyl copies, that's a much smarter idea, because how many people buy vinyls anymore? Why waste money on making tons of vinyls that will never be sold when that money could be spent on their cause?
      noisewall11
      rickyj wrote: WOW, tony iommi and ian gillan and nicko mcbrain and some guy i dont care about and metallica's worst bassist!
      trujillo is metallica's worst bassist.. guy looks so out of place
      scerox
      the documentary that comes with the cd is 30 minutes long, not 40 !!! other than that, this sounds awesome!
      Flynn Oslo
      This band is going to be off it's head. Looking forward to this release. The people complaining about Linde Lindstrm are misinformed. HIM are awesome. The the people complaining about Linde dont know who he is or have never heard of HIM because they are too busy jacking off to their cassette of the black album. A lot of people dont understand like HIM because they arent traditional testosterone fueled sweaty metalheads. Either that or because they are so associated with Bam Margera. HIM explore dark heavy music but arent angry about it. In fact they are the opposite- they are about love. Its definatly not everybody's cup of tea. But at least they are doing something different unlike every other beer-swilling, hi-fiveing, angry Pantera band. There is no denying that Linde is a good guitarist. It is strange that these legendary musicians who could have any person they wanted would pick Linde. So there would be a reason they picked him out of anyone. Either his skill or his style must have impressed someone enough. Just my 2 bobs worth.
      milwaukeerocker
      I had to check out this Linde guy before i made a comment. He's a good guitar player for sure, i'm not a fan of the band HIM though. I checked out five different songs by this band and thought they were all pretty boring, not real impressed. That's just me though, like i said, the guy can clearly hold his own playing guitar. Supergroups are generally a let down anyway.
      Philly080
      What's up with the name choice? I read the title for this like: "who cares, it's just another supergroup"
      TheEducatedFool
      I think I remember hearing Nicko mentioning this a while ago, but it was still in it's early stages. Very excited to hear him with Iommi, Gillan and Lord especially, though I wasn't too thrilled with Iommi's writing on the last Heaven and Hell release.
      lespaul4eveR
      The sad pat is i only know of 2 of the people in the so called "super Group".. Iommi and Newsted, but then again i'm not to open to newer music and was never a fan of deep purple. As long as the songs are based around guitar though, i may like them.
      scawti
      Love to hear Sabbath's Zero the Hero performed with that line-up!
      Iommianity
      If anyone honestly thinks the inclusion of a guitarist from HIM is going to ruin this lineup, not only are you being overdramatic, you can't see past your own biases. I'm not a fan of their music either, but because I took the time to inform myself, I know that he's a huge Sabbath fan, and that HIM has covered Hand of Doom. That's an amazing lineup, but supergroups never live up to the hype.
      Eifler121
      Djsoon wrote: Um.... It's not to hard to figure out or picture why the bands name is "WhoCares". Re-read what they where sayin about the main reason they started the super group in the first place! Their helping the damn people of "ARMENIA" by rebuilding their MUSIC SCHOOL! & im just guessing here?? But, i think the name of the band, is more than just a name, it's also a question?? "WhoCareS" Well.. i think they've answered that? "TheyCare" & that's pretty F'n awesome ya ask me?! & for the love of god i think their reasons for the super group thang, are a little different than that of Velvet Revolver & whoever else was mentioned? It's TONY f'n IOMMI! So Shut it already & bow down to the man who re-invented the devils note!! LOL
      Name still sucks.
      -Annihilation-
      Awesome. Linde is a wonderful guitarist. I don't see what everyone has their undies in a bunch about.
      espChris93
      John37fold wrote: so called "super-groups" never live up to hype.... look at the miami heat.... they were supposed to be NBA's version of a super group and that was an epic fail...
      Not really, the musical equivalent to having three overrated, non-consistent players on your team along with an entire bench who can't help them is like putting together an album with Ke$ha, Wiz Khalifa and a harmonica player....
      skylerjames13
      Mrandy24deth wrote: Nicko McBrain? wtf?, so who's replacing him?
      No one is replacing him. He didn't leave Maiden. This is just a side-project type deal.
      R3V3R53~CUR53
      anyone else thinking that this supergroup is gonna trigger another earth quake? i mean, HIM, IRON MAIDEN, BLACK SABBATH, BLUE OYSTER CULT,AND METALLICA, every one of those bands shakes the earth beneith their feet, and now someone had the bright idea to stick them together, the only thing more dangerous would be if they had lemmy on bass instead
      rocker222
      wonder how its going to sound. there is two ways it could sound. 1. sounds like a horse pooping out squeeky frogs. or 2. you love it so much that you become a hudge fan of the group and kill one of the members because you just read a coppy of catcher and the rye.
      mh1986
      R3V3R53~CUR53 wrote: anyone else thinking that this supergroup is gonna trigger another earth quake? i mean, HIM, IRON MAIDEN, BLACK SABBATH, BLUE OYSTER CULT,AND METALLICA, every one of those bands shakes the earth beneith their feet, and now someone had the bright idea to stick them together, the only thing more dangerous would be if they had lemmy on bass instead
      You forgot Deep Purple...
      Jastul
      Awesome lineup, standing for an even better cause, this is what separates true Metal Gods from just good musicians
      Infalla
      flaphead325 wrote: Joe-Floyd-lover wrote: Mainly Deep Purple with Tony Iommi.. That's what struck me as important.. :=\ Still excited.. Actually my friend, Ian Gillan sang for Black Sabbath on Born Again album, and this album IS GREAT.
      Hell yes man, this collaboration makes me oh so very happy, Gillan and Iommi together again ^_^ Love Newsted too, stoked.
      headbang123
      oh who cares is the band name??? i thought they meant there was another supergroup that nobody cared about...
      MetaIronForce
      As long as the HIM guy doesn;t have anything to do with writing the songs or lyrics, it'll be great. Somehow I can't see ian Gillan whining about a 'venomous kiss' or any other pathetic emo lyric like that
      Eifler121
      Don't bash supergroups. Temple of the Dog, Bad Company,Raconteurs, and most of Eric Clapton's projects are not to be forgotten
      nickzippelli
      Jason Newsted being alive is the only thing that was kinda shocking, and yeah temple of the dog is f_cking sick