Noel Gallagher Blasts Jessie J And 'Sh-t Music'

Noel Gallagher has continued to be outspoken on his opinions on today's modern music scene.

Noel Gallagher Blasts Jessie J And 'Sh-t Music'
30
Noel Gallagher has continued to be outspoken on his opinions on today's modern music scene. The singer, who concluded his UK tour in London last night, says there is no decent music in the current music charts. In an interview with the Evening Standard, Gallagher said: "Fact of the matter is that great music died quite a while ago. "Remember when there were all cool bands in the chart? Oasis, Blur, Pulp and The Verve." "Now it's Jessie J and f--king Duffy. Everybody's got records 'featuring' somebody else: it's either a sh-t rap about somebody's struggle, or just f--king sh-t music set to some reggae backbeat sung in some transatlantic f--king accent. And then they'll throw some Cockney in just to keep it f--king 'real'.' Meanwhile, Noel Gallagher, Florence And The Machine and The Vaccines have been added to the line-up for this year's T In The Park festival. The Scottish event, which is set to take place from July 6-8 in Balado Park, Kinross, will be headlined by The Stone Roses. Other additions to the bill include The Maccabees, The Horrors, Miles Kane, Maverick Sabre, Frank Turner and Two Door Cinema Club. Thanks for the report to Gigwise.com.

177 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    RedDevil07
    WholeLottaIzzy wrote: Jessie J may be "shit". But she has an amazing voice and writes (whether she writes her own stuff, I don't know) pretty catchy pop songs. Adele. She's outsold The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Lady Gaga. Pokerface is, if I remember rightly, the biggest selling song ever. Just because it's pop, it doesn't mean it's shit. People are just being narrow-minded. Yeah, there's a lot of shit about but there always has been. This isn't the time for rock music. It's the time for pop whether you like it or not.
    Record sales have nothing to do with the quality of the music. Anyway, I don't think today's music is any worse than what's gone before. It shouldn't be judged just by what's in the charts.
    WhoAMEye
    Good to see Noel back on form... It's a bit all encompassing though. there is no more Shit music now than there was when "Britpop" was massive. Noel is just turning into a "things were better in my day" old man. Next he will be telling you that Mars Bars are too expensive and shouting at pigeons.
    MegadethFan18
    WholeLottaIzzy wrote: http://www.gigwise.com/news/71024/Adele-... ts-Michael-Jackson-In-The-All-Time-Biggest-Selling-Albums-Ch art Adele HAS outsold Michael Jackson. And Pokerface was the most downloaded song is British History. So yeah, I made a mistake there. But I agree with your last point, mostly.
    Adele has surpassed Michael Jackson in the UK's all-time biggest selling albums chart. She's only outsold him in the UK, I'm talking worldwide. Even then it's just ONE of her albums has out sold his best selling one. I was talking total record sales. singer A (e.g Adele) has 2 albums that have sold 10 million each and singer B (e.g MJ) has 15 albums that have sold 8 million each. As far as record sales go all they mean is that it's popular. I mean I don't think Beethoven has any Platinum albums. Just because something didn't sell much doesn't mean it's bad and vice versa. Metallica's black album is their best selling, most fans will tell you it's not their best.
    District
    Well with all due respect to today's shit music, Noel is quite on the spot here.
    MegadethFan18
    WholeLottaIzzy wrote: Jessie J may be "shit". But she has an amazing voice and writes (whether she writes her own stuff, I don't know) pretty catchy pop songs. Adele. She's outsold The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Lady Gaga. Pokerface is, if I remember rightly, the biggest selling song ever. Just because it's pop, it doesn't mean it's shit. People are just being narrow-minded. Yeah, there's a lot of shit about but there always has been. This isn't the time for rock music. It's the time for pop whether you like it or not.
    Adele hasn't outsold MJ, Thriller alone has like 100 million sales. She's maybe had an album in the charts longer or something but outsold? How about no. Poker Face biggest selling song ever? You remember wrong Sir. Candle in the wind sold 30+ million. I don't get why he cares, I think it's all shit as well but I only hear it if I search for it on YouTube. It's easy to avoid. Personally I think Noel and all the band he listed are shite as well.
    Tigershark2112
    Coming to this site is like Groundhog Day, every day. I know Noel is gonna say something 'edgy', and there's gonna be about 6 articles with misleading titles. Deja frickin' vu, love you too.
    burgernips
    ""Fact of the matter is that great music died quite a while ago." No, you just don't go to the ****ing top 40 to find it. Sick to death of hearing this.
    metalburn9
    WholeLottaIzzy wrote: Jessie J may be "shit". But she has an amazing voice and writes (whether she writes her own stuff, I don't know) pretty catchy pop songs. Adele. She's outsold The Beatles and Michael Jackson. Lady Gaga. Pokerface is, if I remember rightly, the biggest selling song ever. Just because it's pop, it doesn't mean it's shit. People are just being narrow-minded. Yeah, there's a lot of shit about but there always has been. This isn't the time for rock music. It's the time for pop whether you like it or not.
    just because people are buying it doesnt make it not shit.
    onetonryan
    I normally express my apathy for Noel Gallagher by simply not commenting. But since UG continues to regard Mr. Gallagher's verbal flatulence as newsworthy, I feel that I must state for the record: I DO NOT CARE WHAT NOEL GALLAGHER SAYS/THINKS. Now, can we please move on to something with some importance, if in fact there is anything?
    WhoAMEye
    WholeLottaIzzy wrote: MegadethFan18 wrote: Adele hasn't outsold MJ, Thriller alone has like 100 million sales. She's maybe had an album in the charts longer or something but outsold? How about no. Poker Face biggest selling song ever? You remember wrong Sir. Candle in the wind sold 30+ million. I don't get why he cares, I think it's all shit as well but I only hear it if I search for it on YouTube. It's easy to avoid. Personally I think Noel and all the band he listed are shite as well. http://www.gigwise.com/news/71024/Adele-... ts-Michael-Jackson-In-The-All-Time-Biggest-Selling-Albums-Ch art Adele HAS outsold Michael Jackson. And Pokerface was the most downloaded song is British History. So yeah, I made a mistake there. But I agree with your last point, mostly.
    Can you feel the love?..
    13thorderbass
    Stop putting this douche on your website. Honestly I don't think any one has cared what this guy has said in the last 10 years.
    logicbdj
    The situation with pop or rock music (whatever the genre) is that younger kids (e.g., 10 years old) have cash these days. I'm 47, and when I was 10 I got 50 cents a week allowance, and I had to earn it. An album cost about $15 back then, and so it took a long time saving to get an album, and when you did, you made sure it was a solid pick. Today, with all the cash flowing around the young kids, they can buy a single song or an album (whether a CD or downloaded) and not think twice about it... then they do the same a week later. And teeny-boppers are not listening to Pink Floyd or Rush. Consequently, there's a reason why we see an insurgence of music most of us consider 'crap.' And why most music shows (MTV) are geared around the younger crowd.
    Chronologo
    I agree to some extent, I really lol'd when he said that about artist x feat. artist y that's is damn true
    KTbass
    Just because it's pop, it doesn't mean it's shit. People are just being narrow-minded. Yeah, there's a lot of shit about but there always has been. This isn't the time for rock music. It's the time for pop whether you like it or not.
    its not shit because it is pop it is shit because it is indeed shit
    deathofagod
    who the **** is Jessie J? *google* Ohhh, that "Do it Like a Dude" chick... riiiight. Yeah, I'm quite un-aware of chart music - it's mostly over-marketed shit. Hopefully less recycled garbage will break into the charts... but then again, who cares about the charts anymore?
    Abacus11
    Who cares who outsold who? Making quality music and making music that sells a lot have nothing to do with each other.
    Mr.DeadDuck
    WholeLottaIzzy wrote: RedDevil07 wrote: Record sales have nothing to do with the quality of the music. Anyway, I don't think today's music is any worse than what's gone before. It shouldn't be judged just by what's in the charts. So The Beatles sales, Michael Jackson's, Rolling Stones, Dire Straits... It's just a coincidence that their record sales are so high and that their music is generally considered of a high quality? Saying record sales have nothing to do with the quality of the music is a load of shit. Of course there's some correlation between the two.
    There music is considered high quality based on people of that generation still having nostalgia for it and better bands taking influence from it, the rolling stones haven't been relevant in years. I agree that record sales has nothing to do with talent, look at bieber, shit music plenty of sales and the countless list of great bands who can't sell records. Record sales depend on marketing and fans.
    Mack888
    Everybody's got records 'featuring' somebody else
    Dappy ft. Brian May?
    link no1
    Though I agree with him
    "Remember when there were all cool bands in the chart? Oasis , Blur, Pulp and The Verve."
    I can't take anybody seriously who puts themselfs in a list of 'cool bands'.
    alkalineweeman
    Man, UG may aswell give the Gallagher brothers a weekly column on here to let their boo-hoos out. The're like an illiterate mancunian Maddox. There's still plenty of solid music out there you just gotta dig that little deeper. There was just as much garbage during his hayday, selective memory syndrome me thinks. There's still plenty of solid music out there you just have to dig a little deeper
    Blacken Light
    "Remember when there were all cool bands in the chart? Oasis, Blur, Pulp and The Verve." Wow, that is this Guys Idea of Cool Bands? LOL
    WelshKes
    Noel is bang on about that I agree with him with Jessie J, rappers but I find Duffy to be ok with a nostalgic tone to her music. He could have added about dubstep and modern R&B to his rant...
    zalant
    iommi600 wrote: Jessie J And 'Sh-t Music' Greatest oxymoron ever.
    I disagree that it's an oxymoron. I'm thinking that it more likely should be placed in the category of redundancy category. } : - ) >
    thf24
    Record sales have nothing to do with the quality of the music.
    I've always had a problem with this attitude towards evaluating music. What is it that really defines the "quality" of music? You can argue technicality and depth theory-wise or intellectually, but what's really any truer than defining good music as what's pleasing to any given person's ear, be it pop, rock, rap, country, or alternative? I feel that trying to make any more out of it than that is an intolerant, elitist attitude.
    Crazyedd123
    Whatever happened to Liam? Next, we'll see headlines like 'Noel inhales and exhales. Does this mean he's broadening his tastes on air intake?'
    Vyden09
    I really don't see how people call certain types of music "shit music". Just because a certain genre of music doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean its shit. I love music from As I Lay Dying to BB King, Foo Fighters to Alan Jackson. Music is music man, just listen and follow to the types you like and let people have their own opinion. Only exception to this is ICP....=P
    maleathe
    I agree with Noel to a point, but crap has always topped the charts.. anyone remember Richard Marx, Billy Ocean, Backstreet Boys, N-Sync, and even Disco?
    thf24
    Iommianity wrote: thf24 wrote: Record sales have nothing to do with the quality of the music. I've always had a problem with this attitude towards evaluating music. What is it that really defines the "quality" of music? You can argue technicality and depth theory-wise or intellectually, but what's really any truer than defining good music as what's pleasing to any given person's ear, be it pop, rock, rap, country, or alternative? I feel that trying to make any more out of it than that is an intolerant, elitist attitude. Looking for any appreciate of music that's more than how it sounds is in intolerant and elitist? Right. And it's not okay for people to call the opposite shallow and meaningless? Sure.
    I guess I came across that way but it's not really what I meant. Interpret music any way you want, but don't try to set a standard for what everyone should consider good or bad.
    zilosgodie
    Hes wrong!!!!! Mainstream music is now shit, underground music has some very interesting good things. He is clearly into MTV a lot, 90s MTV even had METAL (DEATH), yeah things (MTV) was better in his times lol
    spiff-corgi
    maleathe wrote: I agree with Noel to a point, but crap has always topped the charts.. anyone remember Richard Marx, Billy Ocean, Backstreet Boys, N-Sync, and even Disco?
    I defy you not to dance to Bye Bye Bye by N Sync
    bazandy
    for adele to out sell m jackson, it just goes to show the state of the music scene she as no competion. unfortunatly the beatles didnt have downloads in the 60s, god knows what there sales would have been.
    TheBigDirty716
    "Remember when there were all cool bands in the chart? Oasis, Blur, Pulp and The Verve." Why are we paying attention to this guy???
    the_messenger66
    Jessie J has one good song (do it like a dude), and Adele's not bad at all, but yeah, I can relate. I always thought the "feat." thing is just some elitist music club where four or five guys write shitty music while giving props to another. It's like in Titanic where the first class bastards go to the back and smoke and "congratulate themselves on being masters of the universe." It's like that, but with the music industry...
    joshuahughes34
    anyone think that WholeLottaIzzy should have just kept quiet? read comments near the top if you dont get what i mean
    crzycrz
    Im sure maiden and priest felt the exact same when you were on the chart
    '93
    i kind of disagree...its just that there isnt great music on the radio. having been born in 93 i dont really remember what was being played on the radio in the nineties but i do admit that nowadays it is quite bland and artificial. nothing good about it however, when pop is crap and underground scene rises and there are some really really good bands out there. you just have to look a bit
    garret718
    WM121 wrote: Next week, Noel Gallagher will blast peanut banana sandwiches for tasting like crap
    and goes on to say "remember PB & J and Ham Sandwhiches?" Yeah right cuz those aren't mainstream at all
    Iommianity
    thf24 wrote: Record sales have nothing to do with the quality of the music. I've always had a problem with this attitude towards evaluating music. What is it that really defines the "quality" of music? You can argue technicality and depth theory-wise or intellectually, but what's really any truer than defining good music as what's pleasing to any given person's ear, be it pop, rock, rap, country, or alternative? I feel that trying to make any more out of it than that is an intolerant, elitist attitude.
    Looking for any appreciate of music that's more than how it sounds is in intolerant and elitist? Right. And it's not okay for people to call the opposite shallow and meaningless? Sure.
    thejay2
    I like how he always referred to Oasis as a fantastic band....bit biased don't you think? and well there is alot worse music out there than Jessie J! like oh i don't know one direction! To be honest though i would rather watch paint dry while someone repeated scratched nails on a chalk bored rather than listen to Oasis! anything is better than their dribble!
    Shawskee
    What Noel (and many other people) need to understand is that music is a matter of opinion. It's not a sport, not a competition. It's an incredible art: a beauty that can express visuals, stories and enhance life. From Radiohead to Nicki Minaj we have a universal size of music... so why not listen to what you like, and respect what others like, instead of hating simply cause YOU don't like it? Who cares what's popular when you have the freedom to listen to whatever you want? Also, rock most certainly is NOT "dead". Bands like Wolfmother are still producing music that sounds like 70s rock, and if you can't find any modern bands you enjoy, listen to one of the thousands of records that were made in the last 50 years. Jeez. I will be amazed the day I see Noel Gallagher with a positive article on this website.
    starlessband
    i couldn't name you five oasis songs but god damn do i love these gallagher bros. It seems like there the only two dudes who speak the truth about the state of music
    Kakatara
    lrn2opinion brah But seriously Music isn't a competition. All I see in the comments is "Stop liking what I don't like"