Noel Gallagher: 'Modern Rock Is Rubbish'

The guitarist says that Blur and his former band Oasis were the last bands to really matter in the charts.

Noel Gallagher: 'Modern Rock Is Rubbish'
0
Noel Gallagher claims that Oasis and Blur were the last rock bands to really matter in the charts. Speaking to The Mirror, Noel expressed his disappointment with modern rock music and the "rubbish" he now hears in the charts: "The days of Oasis and Blur were the last great assault on the charts by alternative music. Christmas Top of the Pops was dreadful. Every song sounded like it came from the same field of music. There was a rap in there somewhere, everyone sang in a transatlantic soul voice and it was rubbish," he said. "The Britpop thing was vastly different. We were all great live bands, and that's gone now." The former Oasis guitarist hasn't lost all faith in new music, adding that The Stone Roses rehearsals sound "amazing" - though the fact that they are an old band who have recently reformed, and once influenced a young Noel, means it could be less of a compliment than he intended. On Friday, Noel told chat-show host Graham Norton that the day his first solo album went to number 1 in the UK was one of the best days of his life. He explained that he found out that his wife was pregnant around the same time that he started recording. "It's funny how the more kids you have, the more work you want to do," he said. Noel originally wanted to record his album in the UK, but says his producer Dave Sardy stepped off the plane and immediately insisted they continue recording in LA. Considering the weather, it's no surprise that Noel was happy to oblige. Are Noels comments about the state of rock music another inditement that it is winding down next to bigger genres, or does he just lust for the days when his original band first hit the big time? Tell him what you think in the comments.

87 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    WhoAMEye
    I would normally rip into a Gallagher. But annoyingly this time Noel has put forward a reasonably lucid and intelligent argument. How dare he!
    jacobmorris92
    He's essentially saying that he's the last modern rock musician to matter in the world. Pretentious twat.
    Sladey
    Arctic Monkeys, Stereophonics, Muse? They're all British bands that are hitting the charts. What about post Britpop bands like Travis, Keane, Snow Patrol? Even Coldplay were classified as alternative at the start, although now they've strayed a bit, I guess.. Basically, shut up Noel, you're not as good as you think you are.
    gljbass
    and just saying... I haven't heard a damn thing from Nickelback's new album. It just goes to show that if you want to ignore that band, you totally can. Stop bitching. And if they're internationally selling music, they are totally not a "Redneck rock" band. So shut up come2gether. You sound like a tw@.
    Minkaro
    Noel Gallagher calling other musicians rubbish is like Megan Fox calling other actresses rubbish.
    Reagar
    Not that I think rock is dead forever, it's just waiting for the next great band to smash the barriers
    AcdcTXfan
    Funny, I always hear this guy trying to pick fights with other people. While everyone else (except the Black Keys) is just minding their own business, playing the music they like. What's gonna happen? "Oh Noel, you're completely right. We're idiots. We'll stop making music. Sorry about that." - All modern rock bands.
    gerrywm
    USCENDONE BENE wrote: i missed the part where he says that modern rock is rubbish, i only saw 'disappointment'. Anyways, Britpop does my head in, I'm english and i cannot stand some of the accents you hear in britpop related artists. Modern is phenomenal, but if he's basing what rock is by what's in the charts then he's even more of a fool than i thought he was.
    I think the " basing what rock is by what is in the charts" was his point. That "chart" rock has gone rubbish, still loads of good bands working hard but not getting the promotion etc. as rock bands used to and are not hitting the charts, muse and a few others will hit the top tens with new albums but you never see the top ten list full of rock bands any more, in the 90's you could have had radiohead, pearl jam nirvana etc all in there at the same time. Or else I am picking it up all wrong
    RNFR95
    Siro_Vai wrote: Umm...Foo Fighters anyone?
    My sentiments exactly
    Apejack Cuba
    Most people think everything was better when they were young. He's right that rock radio is dead pretty much everywhere, though.
    eggvander
    I was never really into the whole britpop thing, too poppy as the name already suggests. The last alternative heros are the likes of alice in chains, soundgarden, screaming trees, dinosaur jr. and yes nirvana. (all from the us) and nowadays the black keys blow any other rock band away pretty much, although their first 3 albums were way better than the new stuff. So that being said the whole britpop thing was never really anything new and inventive. Just my two cents.
    Apejack Cuba
    CamyM wrote: I pretty much agree with the Noel dis-likers. I heard his new album and thought it was crap - Oasis-esque drivel. The Beady Eye album wasn't much better. The rock scene is pretty much dead though and with the garbage in the charts it doesn't look as if it's gonna be coming back any time soon... RIP good,hard hitting rock!!! we miss you...
    Rock isn't dead, it's just moved to the internet, really. FM radio's pretty much dead as a vehicle for new rock musicians: I live in New York City and our rock stations mostly play popular '60s - '90s bands and occasionally the newest single from Nickelback or someone like that. Only artists I've heard on the radio from my last.fm top 25 are Iron Maiden, Radiohead, Rainbow, Dio, and Oasis, and my musical tastes aren't THAT obscure. You'd think that Noel would be a little more in touch with rock music since he's a rock musician, but whatever.
    Ibeanez
    So, in your mind U2, Coldplay and Oasis are examples of music with balls? Maybe try a different figure of speech, because that just makes no sense. Regarding the article, "inditement"? Really.
    EpiExplorer
    Too broken up over the news about Tony Iommi to care about what some modern rock hasbeen thinks of himself.
    Eirien
    I don't like to think of music in terms of mainstream/alternative because they are too ambiguous. You could categorise Oasis in either of those categories depending how you look at it. Anyway, can people please stop moaning that rock is shit/dead? There's more great music being made today than at any time in history, whatever type of music you like. As has been said many times, you just need to get of your arse and look for it and stop listening to the crap that gets shoved in your face every day.
    USCENDONE BENE
    i missed the part where he says that modern rock is rubbish, i only saw 'disappointment'. Anyways, Britpop does my head in, I'm english and i cannot stand some of the accents you hear in britpop related artists. Modern is phenomenal, but if he's basing what rock is by what's in the charts then he's even more of a fool than i thought he was.
    archangels
    Minkaro wrote: Noel Gallagher calling other musicians rubbish is like Megan Fox calling other actresses rubbish.
    My thoughts exactly. If he's referring strictly to the state of music in the UK, then I can't really argue, but over here in America, Oasis hasn't been relevant for a decade. We have plenty of kickass Alternative bands. And again, if he's referring to the charts, then of course the charts suck.
    Slash181
    come2gether wrote: I really hate the state of alt rock music. There are truly great bands: Muse, U2 still of course
    You idiot.... U2 are not a great band at all. They are commercially driven.. nothing about their music has no depth whatsoever, the guitar work is boring to play or even listen to. Sorry to put U2 next to Muse is a bloody stupid thing to do.
    sunburstshredde
    Noel, have you heard the Foo Fighter's Wasting Light? Oh yeah, I forgot you hate Americans for no reason.
    jfitch832
    So wait, Noel Gallagher thinks HIS band is the last one to matter? You've got to be kidding me. Seems unlikely.
    LeakyFlask
    This was really great to see though:
    The days of Oasis and Blur were the last great assault on the charts by alternative music.
    The britpop war is over, everyone!
    jackdude500
    i gotta agree i dont even listen to the charts anymore because i know its going to be filled with shitty overproduced pop music. musicwise i wish i was born anywhere before the 00's
    jakobross424
    Cage the Elephant? Mumford and Sons? Foo Fighters? Black Keys? Arctic Monkeys? Queens of the Stone Age? Seriously, Noel.
    Basti95
    1) People need to stop whining about the death of rock, it shows you know f*ck all about music; 2) Oasis were neither the last nor the best rock band, if indeed they ever were one tbh, seeing as Noel himself calls it Brit-pop. 3) Anyone who knows about music will tell you that there were plenty of quality bands in the 90s, they'll also tell you that they didn't get the recognition they deserved. It's true. Whatever your taste in music you're bound to find something you'll like from that era if you let yourself look hard enough, it seems that quality music has become gradually overshadowed and ignored with the years. You've got to ask yourself how and why, and then Rage against the machine for f*ck's sake.
    CTGraphixGuy
    Noel, your ego continues to get in the way of any clear perspective. Ever heard of Muse? How 'bout a little outfit called the Foo Fighters? That's just 2 current, EXCELLENT modern rock bands out there kickin ass and takin names. If Oasis was so awesome, meaning you're as awesome as you think you are, why did you break up? Why aren't you able to have the longevity of say, U2? You know, the band you repeatedly ripped off and blatantly emulated? Why does your solo stuff sound like re-hashed vintage John Lennon material? Don't answer that. I know why. Because you're nothing but a poser and a wanna be.
    Galfadez2
    sunburstshredde wrote: Noel, have you heard the Foo Fighter's Wasting Light? Oh yeah, I forgot you hate Americans for no reason.
    Not for no reason...
    foopeppers
    oh and Travis, Keane and snow patrol were/are shit anyway and especially coldplay
    come2gether
    God you people make me sick. Guns N Roses was awesome rock music with balls right? well Sweet Child O Mine went number one on the POP CHARTS. Stop trolling because you don't like him. Great rock bands are the ones with success. If you don't make the pop charts, you aren't POPULAR enough to be considered great. Led Zeppelin? badass rock band. Also, a bunch of U.S. POP HITS. Rolling Stones? A bunch of U.S. number one POP albums. When a certain type of music turns POPular, it does well on the POP charts. Modern Bands? Do you like Tool? They've been number one on the POP charts. Metallica? Number one numerous times. Foo Fighters? Number one numerous times, both songs and albums. I don't like metal music, but I don't get on here and troll when something is said about it. Just because you people don't like Oasis doesn't mean any gives two shits about your worthless lives.
    Dethonator
    I might agree with charts. But modern in general? No way, bro. Noel is a bit old-fashioned, but he is right to some extent with successful modern rock bands catering to labels. But yes, he did make the charts recently so ha.
    spiff-corgi
    I think people are getting confused. It's LIAM who's usually making outlandish statements, not Noel. This is a bit out of place coming from him. Maybe he's missing the controversy of being in Oasis...
    whysky
    i think part of the problem is that regular people has no taste... and by the other hand, people who claim to be "rockers" havo no taste either... i mean, c'mon, you are all so close minded and always whining about why there are no bands like Deep Purple or something like that... but please nowadays you have bands like Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay, Cage The Elephant, Incubus but all you say is how shitty they are because they don't sound like Ozzy Ousborne... now imagine how many more good bands would start to appear if you weren't such an *****s with them. For god's sake, just by reading your comments i can tell that maybe only a quarter of the UG users are real musicians.