Ozzy's Real Reason For Firing Zakk Wylde

Ozzy Osbourne claims guitarist Zakk Wylde's drinking was the main reason behind his decision to recruit new axeman Gus G.

Ozzy's Real Reason For Firing Zakk Wylde
1
Ozzy Osbourne claims guitarist Zakk Wylde's drinking was the main reason behind his decision to recruit new axeman Gus G. Wylde found out he had been dropped from Ozzy's band in an interview the Brummie rock legend gave to Classic Rock magazine. The Black Label Society frontman seemed to take the news well, telling his Twitter followers: "This is news to me. I haven't heard anything about this. Until I talk to the Boss, I don't know. I love Ozzy". But later in a live radio interview with Oregon's KLFY Radio, Wylde tore into Osbourne, saying: "Call me, man. It's like, dude, you don't wanna play with me anymore? Fine. Play with whoever the hell you wanna play with." Speaking about latest album Scream, Ozzy tells Guitar World Magazine: "Zakk came in at the beginning of the new one, but he was still drinking. When you're drunk and somebody else is drinking, it's okay, but when you're sober and somebody's blabbering away in your ear, it ain't. "I mean, Zakk's a great player and I love him. I love his playing. But in the end, it came to the point that I had to get another guitarist. Not because I fell out with Zakk, but it was hard for me to be around someone who is actively drinking. I heard he's not drinking anymore. I don't know if that's true or not. Ozzy adds: "We're good friends, and we're like family. I feel that the whole thing was partly my fault, because Zakk was doing his own band, his own tours and helping me out when he got back. "On the last tour he was with his band opening the show and my band closing the show, and that's really hard. So I'd been thinking of getting a replacement for a while. The Brit legend had feared that his band was turning into Wylde's Black Label Society in terms of sound, so approached Gus G of Firewind to be his new guitarist. Ozzy explains: "Zakk is Black Label. I love his playing; he's one of the greats. But it was the drink getting the better of him. I couldn't watch him die. In one sick respect, it was good for me to see, because that's what I was like, and worse. "Believe me, if I started drinking now you'd think F'ck, this is bollocks! I've got to get out of here.' That's how I felt around Zakk toward the end." Wylde has since been told by doctors he cannot drink alcohol because of high pancreatic enzyme levels, and is currently taking medication. Thanks for the report to RockRadio.

130 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    masteryan
    zakk your guitar style is so repetitive, old , shithouse , uninspiring. Ok, maybe that was harsh. But go ozzy and his new album its better than sabbath days!!
    roldilocks
    i think its a bad move to fire a legend just because they like to party, and im sorry but the new ozzy shit sucks just as bad as the last ozzy shit.
    Crimson Ghost
    Zakk is an amazing guitarist. Ozzy was definitely in the wrong to fire him in an interview, and for Ozzy to hold a problem like that against someone is just wrong, especially when so many people have had to deal with his problems. I can say I've talked to Zakk while he was drunk and sober and both times he was a very genuine and kind person.
    CoreysMonster
    Zakk drinks too much? What else is new? He's been drinking heavily like for the past 20 years, and while Ozzy has eased down on the crazy, Zakk hasn't, and there comes a time when you need to learn to put that shit down and learn to have a good time without being plastered, because that really does just annoy the shit out of people when everyone else is sober.
    Warheart1188
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: masteryan wrote: zakk your guitar style is so repetitive, old , shithouse , uninspiring. Ok, maybe that was harsh. But go ozzy and his new album its better than sabbath days!! Agreed with Zakk's playing, his tone is pure crap. As far as Ozzy's new album, it's miles ahead of Black Rain but nowhere near the same league as his Sabbath albums.
    Wow, you guys are idiots in regards to Zakk.
    Draconis93
    don't know about zakk's playing a whole lot, but i think its kinda sad when zakk gets kicked out for drinking by the guy who, up until recently, couldn't form a coherent sentence.
    sleeler69
    I love Zakk in Ozzy and NO so much on his own. I have all Pride and Glory and BLS and the OZZY stuff is the best. But OZZY needs to make up his mind on which story he is gonna tell us. This is the 3 or 4th reason since the change. I believed the reason that ZAKK was busy with his own shit. I believed OZZY felt he was starting to sound like BLS. although I personally I dont think they sound even close. that sounds more like sharons beef. But I DO NOT buy this latest exscuse. Enuff already. move on.
    CJMusics
    masteryan wrote: zakk your guitar style is so repetitive, old , shithouse , uninspiring. Ok, maybe that was harsh. But go ozzy and his new album its better than sabbath days!!
    zakk is an awesome guitarist, search up stuff he has done without playing live or on record with BLS. he is a creative guitarist genius. and ozzys new album pretty much sucks compared to the sabbath days dude
    dynasty7401
    Zakk and Gus are both 2 very awesome guitar players coming from 2 different backgrounds. Zakk wears that blues scale out whereas Gus seems to be a shredder. Not that Zakk isn't in his own right but Gus seems to be more of a technical player.
    Zeerion
    i swear this is the same reason ozzy got kicked out of black sabbath. history repeats itself.
    Eifler121
    None of Ozzy's stuff even comes close to Sabbath. I would say Ozzy became more about the Prince of Darkness gimmick than the music. He has a couple decent songs, but no matter who Ozzy's with it won't matter. Metal guys will like it because it's Ozzy, so they'll all buy it whether it's good or not, and you'll have a few people on the side who just like it. In the end it all comes down to selling albums' which Ozzy is guarunteed to do with or without Wylde. Wylde on the other hand... I like BLS for the most part, so if Ozzy's new stuff sounded like it I'd give it a shot.
    devilex121
    hmm Ozzy's said it clear enough i suppose he didnt want to see Wylde slowly losing his touch
    james86
    I think ozzy had his point I hope zakk can totally quit drinking and understand clearly why ozzy fired him
    Phycopath09
    No idea what youre talking about, it's amazing!
    Rokodlak wrote: You are some kind of idiot man...Zakk is a legend,and new Ozzy album sucks
    sheppo
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: zakk your guitar style is so repetitive, old , shithouse , uninspiring. Whatever you say, but he's got his own sound and style. Zakk is a legend, but Ozzy was starting to sound like BLS. He needed to go.
    Ozzy is repetitive and old he needs to go
    fretman5000
    sabbath...ozzy... ive never compared them, theyre completely different. complete opinion, for those of you who think sabbath is better, or that zakk sucks, or that ozzys an idiot, you cant prove anything of that factual. have some respect for music
    E.harley
    i believe Ozzy to an extent about Zakk and the drinking, but i also think that "black rain" was very humdrum and he needed to reinvent himself by writing with someone else with fresh riffs and ideas. "scream" is IMO a really good album. it's got some stuff going on that Zakk would have never thought of. Ozzy's lyrics are so reminiscent of early Ozzman. Rock on Ozzy!!!!
    BigZman95
    I have to be honest, I haven't real cared much for Ozzy's stuff other than when he was in Black Sabbath with Tony Iommi and when he was with Randy Rhoads. Blizzard of Ozz was amazing.
    shred_wizzard
    I'm pretty sure in the interview it said it had more to do with Ozzy trying to remain sober and it being difficult when someone else was drinking. so he'd not saying zakk had a problem, it was just ozzy couldn't be around booze
    Clabbe
    JesusIsAwesome wrote: Wow thank you for stating the obvious, CoreysMonster! Well done. The real reason for Ozzy firing Zakk: jealousy that Zakk is cooler than him.
    I lol'd
    stevezy
    and now aren't Black Label Society on the Ozzfest tour this summer? I guess all is copecetic then?
    Pr1cK
    THIS JUST IN!! THIS JUST IN!! NOBODY CARES. QUIT THE GOSSIP AND PLAY A GUITAR INSTEAD. (and yeah, i'm about to.)
    Miccisicks
    The pot calling the kettle black, chill out Ozzy, just cos yer 'SOBER' it doesn't mean everyone else has to be..hell, you still smoke dope, what's the diff?
    Rokodlak
    You are some kind of idiot man...Zakk is a legend,and new Ozzy album sucks
    Megadeaf
    Thrasher5445 wrote: Good point. except Dave was incredibly pissed. this sounds like a dave mustaine moment when he got let go from metallica
    Synyster213
    That sucks Zakk was the shit! Damn I got to meet Ozzy, got his new album and he signed it but sucks that he was in a hurry for the concert at The House Of Blues later that day. But damn I felt like if I was meeting a GOD! Wait he is a god!
    metalh3ad4ever
    Man, Zakk rocks, Ozzy rocks, Zakk and Ozzy together rock. I loved Black Rain but it still wasn't as good as Sabbath. I really don't give a shit about his new album, it has a werid pop-metal sound to it that just doesn't fit Ozzy. Just retire Ozzy or go back a put new material out with Black Sabbath. These solo albums will never fit into the same league as Sabbath.
    Dynamo11
    Meh, they're both pretty cool. Zakk is one of the nicest guys in metal anyway
    repairshop
    Miccisicks wrote: The pot calling the kettle black, chill out Ozzy, just cos yer 'SOBER' it doesn't mean everyone else has to be..hell, you still smoke dope, what's the diff?
    MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! Im a huge fan of Ozzy but it really pisses me off for him to come out after this all has blown over (especially how big of a deal it was when it first happened) but then for him to open his mouth again. It had blown over!
    Wiggimus
    To everyone who says that Zakk Wylde sucks: Really? If he's really as bad as you all say he is, then why does he have the status of an icon? Sure, he loves pentatonic scales. Sure, he loves pinch harmonics. So what? That is not in any way defined by a lack of talent! Angus Young has been playing the same handful of chords for over 30 years! They both found their "if it ain't broke" rythms and it made each of them millions. We could only be so lucky. Now, I have heard nothing of Gus G, so I will reserve judgement, but with all the different stories to the split, it's hard to even know what to believe. Although I will say this: I believe Zakk was never told directly. It seems to me that the way he found out was the was we found out, which in itself is wrong. Be that as it may, I also feel this split could potentially be healthy for all parties. I wish the best for all involved.
    AngryGoldfish
    Wait, they're "family" and "love" each other, yet there is absolutely NO communication. Zakk had no idea he was kicked from one of the biggest bands on the planet, and Ozzy has no idea whether Zakk has stopped drinking or not.. They don't seem very close to me.
    i_am_metalhead
    AngryGoldfish wrote: Wait, they're "family" and "love" each other, yet there is absolutely NO communication. Zakk had no idea he was kicked from one of the biggest bands on the planet, and Ozzy has no idea whether Zakk has stopped drinking or not.. They don't seem very close to me.
    From what I've collected, Zakk has stopped drinking due to the health conditions he ran into last summer.
    zalant
    I'm thinking that the Slipknot picture must be fairly recent, as someone else would have surely mentioned it before now (well, not now , but when you mentioned it). It's 9am PDT at this moment.
    BrokenBricks
    Zakk is a good guitarist. Every one of you could pick one of his solos out of thousands of others, not many players can do that. I'm not a bls or ozzy fan btw. Ozzy needs to hook up with sabbath.
    HunterTN
    I saw Zakk last night at the House of Blues and he was drinking beers on stage. Now, I'm a huge fan of Zakk, he's one of my heroes... but if "the doctor" says you can't drink anymore, why would you?
    Shadoze
    Ive got pancreatitis, had it 5 times now, but only get it when drinking without eating, or drinking liquor. Beer has never hurt me, or put me in the hospital with it. And yeah, it hurts like a motherf***ker...
    vidorsdmf
    imo ozz hasent came out with good album since no more tears! hes had a few ok singles. as far as guitar work, zakk is amazing hes the best in the buisness today. he can outplay anyone on electric and nobody comes close on acoustic. gus obviously admires zakk alot, his playing mirrors zakks alot. (listen to the into to the solo on scream) we gotta give little gus boy a chance cause remember in 87 when zakk came out we were like who is this guy???? now THAT guy has his own line of lifestyle products lol zakk is one of the greats that ozz has chosen to play with. Iommi Rhodes Lee Vie Wylde. GUS HAS SOME f#@$ING HUGE SHOES TO FILL, all we can do is wait and see. he hasent impressed me on scream but till they produce some kick ass stuff all i can say is bleed black label
    tattooedzakkfan
    Man Zakk made ozzy no more tears is one of the baddest albums ever and for anyone who thinks zakk cant play check out pride and glory or book of shadows an then youll hear the genuis that is zakk wylde oh i almost forgot zakk could eat oz and gus if he wanted too
    Rock.Domination
    Zakk was a much better singer in the past, and a better singer than Ozzy. His Pride & Glory album totally blows about most BLS albums out of the water. If he could return to doing southern metal, he would be awesome. If Ozzy is sincere about the drinking matter, maybe he should hire Zakk again. 2 guitarist won't be bad. Look at Iron Maiden, they have 3!
    eddienelson
    Ozzy just sunk lower. why dont you keep doing that F***ing shity osbournes show and quit music already. Long live Zakk!