Rise Against Named 'Endgame' After Megadeth Album?

Bassist Joe Principe was asked about the fact that Rise Against's latest album, 2011's "Endgame", shares a title with Megadeth's 2009 effort.

Rise Against Named 'Endgame' After Megadeth Album?
0
Bassist Joe Principe of the Chicago "punk rock" band Rise Against was asked during a brand new interview with Kevin Conklin of the 93.7 KCLB Rocks! radio station in Palm Springs, California if Megadeth's Dave Mustaine has threatened legal action against Principe's group over the fact that Rise Against's latest album, 2011's "Endgame", shares a title with Megadeth's 2009 effort. "No, he hasn't", Joe laughed before adding. "You know what's funny?! This kind of goes to show you how many people know about the Megadeth record. It's like no one One kid said something, 'Hey, isn't that a Megadeth title?' But other than that, no one knows. I grew up listening to Megadeth, so I was kind of hoping they would have a little bit more current fans these days." When it was pointed out to Principe that Megadeth's "Endgame" has sold 150,000 copies in the United States since its release, he said, "Oh, that's better than I thought." Rise Against's "Endgame" has shifted 156,000 units in the United States since it came out on March 11. In an October 2009 interview, Mustaine revealed that the "Endgame" album title came from a U.S. Department of Homeland Security Immigration and Customs Enforcement document that endorses "the removal of all removable aliens" by 2012. "I was watching an inspirational DVD, and this guy was talking about the 'Endgame Document'", Mustaine said. "I was mortified to find out that we had a president who signed a document into law that was going to forever change the face of American history and American politics and American liberties, and that he would do it without anybody knowing. The Senate didn't know about it and didn't get a chance to vote on it and neither did the House of Representatives. He just did it." Thanks for the report to Blabbermouth.net.

27 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    SuicidalFreak
    Another misleading title, will UG ever get their facts straight. No part of this article says Rise Against actually named Endgame after the Megadeth album.
    scawti
    Sounds like he's trying to get his 15min of fame starting a feud with Dave. I've never heard of him before this article...
    jfefrey
    i find it funny that he says no one has heard of endgame by megadeth even though their first single from the album got nominated for a grammy not to mention 7 other nominations through the years, also the 150,000 sales in US alone and debuted in more foreign countries album charts
    dethskar0
    jordan-poor wrote: i like the beginning... "punk rock" hahah nice article!
    That's exactly what I was going to say. I don't really care that much for either band, but Megadeth is almost infinitely better than Rise Against and they have no room to insult Megadeth, regardless of whether or not their new album has sold more copies in two months than Megadeth's last release has in 2 years... More popular doesn't mean you're better. Nor does selling more albums even necessarily make you more popular...
    maximumrocker
    so basically this guy assumes that Megadeth is like dead and no one has heard them..... Megadeth has had probably some of the top metal guitarist in its life time. Marty Friedman, Chris Polland, Chris Broderick. Ill always find Megadeth x10 more interesting than Rise Against....
    azureXsmurF
    And it's good to see that Mustaine still has no clue how the government works or how something becomes law
    Randomrings
    mynamehere040 wrote: Dude he completely dissed Megadeth and had no idea. Seems like a pompous douche.
    i was going to rant, but that pretty much sums up my thoughts on this
    Siandos.BCRich
    no has heard of megadeth's endgame? i recall a time when it just came out that EVERYONE was comparing it to metallica's death magnetic! someone should shut him up. endgame is a killer album...
    blueboy14
    i really want to blurt out a 3 paragraph of how ignorant he is but ill just save my breath bc luckily most people on this site will read the article and think the same thing i did
    georgebushguy79
    TrollFace wrote: pineaple expres wrote: Cheeseman Jay wrote: (Voice of Comic Book Guy): "Oh yeah, that's real original." morgan freeman is better. Morgan Freeman has cotton candy. your argument is invalid
    Morgan Freeman is a god. Not the most interesting article I've ever read.
    killyerscene
    I think dude is just stating most Rise Against fans aren't Megadeth fans and vice-versa... but this is a prime example of UG putting up anything that has megadeth/mustaine attached to it.
    MegadethFan18
    You can call an album the same name as another album. e.g Appetite for Destruction or one word album titles.
    Rob E
    Is that really saying the Megadeth album has sold 150,000 in the US since it came out in September 2009, and the Rise Against album has sold 156,000 in the US since March 2011?
    pineaple expres
    Cheeseman Jay wrote: (Voice of Comic Book Guy): "Oh yeah, that's real original."
    morgan freeman is better.
    guitarnoob_100
    Neither RA or Megadeth were the first to use that title for anything. Also, nowhere in that article does it state RA copied Megadeth.
    TrollFace
    pineaple expres wrote: Cheeseman Jay wrote: (Voice of Comic Book Guy): "Oh yeah, that's real original." morgan freeman is better.
    Morgan Freeman has cotton candy. your argument is invalid
    Oixord
    The title is a lie. And I guess the guy has never been on this site if he thinks no one's noticed that they share an album title with Megadeth :p
    J217529
    i thought the Megadeth album's title was inspired by the very powerful Alex Jones film Endgame. maybe it's both.
    DimeShadow
    I could think of far better Megadeth albums to copy. such as "Killing Is My Business....And Business Is Good" or "So Far...So Good...So What?!"