Oscar-winning comedy icon Robin Williams has passed away earlier last morning (August 11), due to an apparent suicide, leaving the world in a state of shock. He was 63.
As Entertainment Weekly reports, the passing initially wasn't confirmed by the actor's publicist, but his rep ultimately issued the following statement:
"Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time."
Known for his roles in "Good Will Hunting," "Mrs. Doubtfire," "Jumanji," "Night at the Museum" and more, Williams left a permanent mark in the movie world as one of the ultimate greats.
According to a press release issued by the Marin County Coronor's office, the Sheriff's office suspects the death to be "suicide due to asphyxia." Fox was also quick to issue an official statement, as the company that will issue the third part of "Night at the Museum" this December.
"There really are no words to describe the loss of Robin Williams. He was immensely talented, a cherished member of our community, and part of the Fox family. Our hearts go out to his family, friends and fans. He will be deeply missed," the statement reads.
The guitar-driven domain was equally shocked, as many prominent rock and metal musicians took on their Twitter pages to express grief and condolences. You can find some of their reactions below.
RIP fellow Illinois Entertainer-In-Arms Robin Williams. Thankyou for bringing joy to so many with ur peerless wit. #DeadPoetsSocietyRules
- Tom Morello (@tmorello) August 12, 2014
Such a tragic loss. I will always have amazing memories of @RobinWilliams. Respect and love goes out to his family.
- Ozzy Osbourne (@OzzyOsbourne) August 11, 2014
- T❍mmy L✮✮ (@MrTommyLand) August 12, 2014
- David Ellefson (@ellefsondavid) August 11, 2014
So sad about Robin Williams. Meeting him was a personal highlight for me. Amazing man.
- Brendon Small (@_Brendonsmall) August 11, 2014
R.I.P. Robin Williams. A kind and generous man.
- Gene Simmons (@genesimmons) August 11, 2014
RIP Robin Williams. Thank you for a lifetime of laughter. You will truely be missed. Our hearts and prayers go out to your family & friends
- Chester Bennington (@ChesterBe) August 12, 2014
The entire Osbourne Family is grieving the loss of a kind, funny, generous and talented man, Robin Williams.
- Sharon Osbourne (@MrsSOsbourne) August 11, 2014
So many tweets mourning the loss of Robin Williams. Definitely a testament to how much his talent resonated with so many of us.
- Myles Kennedy (@MylesKennedy) August 12, 2014
Very sad news about Robin Williams! You will be missed! RIP. pic.twitter.com/oPl15eE0vQ
- Official Motörhead (@myMotorhead) August 12, 2014
A fantastic comedian and great actor. Rest in peace, Robin Williams. Thank you for all the laughs #RobinWilliams
- In Flames (@InFlames_SWE) August 12, 2014
No one ever made me laugh like Robin Williams. Now I can't stop crying. We'll miss you, Mr. Williams.
- Captain Fluffy Bug (@CoreyTaylorRock) August 11, 2014
@robinwilliams REST IN PEACE. THANK YOU FOR ALL THOSE YEARS OF LAUGHTER. YOU WILL BE TRULY MISSED
- DAVID DRAIMAN (@DAVIDMDRAIMAN) August 11, 2014
R.I.P. Robin Williams #legend
- Robert Caggiano (@RobCaggiano) August 12, 2014
RIP Robin Williams! Such a terrible loss. @robinwilliams
- OVERKILL (@OverkillBand) August 12, 2014
Robin Williams and I at the ARF benefit http://t.co/6fxDZlca
- Robb Flynn (@TheGeneralMH) January 8, 2013
One of the world greatest actor/comedians died today. RIP Robin Williams! You will be missed. #bummed
- A S H B A (@DjASHBA) August 11, 2014
- Lenny Kravitz (@LennyKravitz) August 11, 2014
#RIP to one of the best ever, Sir Robin Williams.
- Def Leppard (@def_leppard) August 12, 2014