Romantics Sue 'Guitar Hero' Publishers

The rock band filed a suit Tuesday against the video game developer and publisher in federal District Court in Detroit.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

The Romantics aren't exactly enamored with Activision Publishing at the present. The rock band filed a suit Tuesday against the video game developer and publisher in federal District Court in Detroit.

The suit claims Activision's videogame, "Guitar Hero, Encore, Rocks the 80's," uses a version of the band's "What I Like About You" by musicians which sounds a great deal like them.

The recording makes it "virtually indistinguishable from the authentic version" and therefore confuses listeners into believing the band actually recorded it.

The suit names California-based Activision, Harmonix Music Systems and Redoctane as developers, publishers or distributors of "Guitar Hero" as defendants. Wavegroup Sound was named as performers of the music.

The band members, composed of Master Beat, Wally Palmer, Mike Skill, and Coz Anler, want compensatory and punitive damages for an unspecified amount

Thanks for the info to AllHeadlineNews.com.

151 comments sorted by best / new / date

    oh poe poe
    Nhex wrote: the musicians who sue only do that because the game sells more than their albuns
    that game sells more than every musician's album on there... especially with all the illegal (*cough*guilty*gag*) downloading that people do its no wonder.
    Qasur
    Actually, if you look around, anyone can cover any song as long as you just properly award that song the correct authors. Why else do you think that bands from 60's, 70's, and 80's were all doing covers of 50's music and Bob Dylan? Yeah, he gets 10c every time they sale that CD, but who cares? Covers don't require too much permission, just some royalty fees that you have to dicuss. Sometimes, royalties just cost too much, whihc is why Guitar Hero is taking it's time to get some artists that they haven't had yet (such as Led Zeppelin, Steve Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, etc.)
    xCoilx
    Misterhustle24 wrote: wow, this is truly retarded. Why would they sue for it sounding too much like them? Isn't that a good thing? At least it doesn't sound so terrible like the Lamb of God cover in Guitar Hero II. Do you know how many people probably think Lamb of God is a crappy band now because of how ridiculous the singer sounded in that cover?
    true.
    Kegan
    drummer_boyy wrote: kfkslayerkfk wrote: im glad the makers of that stupid game are getting sued. that game is an insult to my intelligence. you dont make music with a block of plastic and five plastic "fret" buttons that arent even frets f*** you. dumbass.you are just mad cause you cant make music with 6 strings and 24 frets.
    We are now more ignorant for having read your post. their point is that a person can't make music on a guitar hero controller. it's just a hunk of plastic. you totally twisted that around and replied as if he was mad that he couldn't play music on a real guitar. There's nothing wrong with enjoying Guitar Hero, but there is also nothing wrong with other people disliking it.
    Wakisazhi
    Qasur wrote: Actually, if you look around, anyone can cover any song as long as you just properly award that song the correct authors. Why else do you think that bands from 60's, 70's, and 80's were all doing covers of 50's music and Bob Dylan? Yeah, he gets 10c every time they sale that CD, but who cares? Covers don't require too much permission, just some royalty fees that you have to dicuss. Sometimes, royalties just cost too much, whihc is why Guitar Hero is taking it's time to get some artists that they haven't had yet (such as Led Zeppelin, Steve Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, etc.)
    Actually they've covered Hendrix once and SRV twice. But yeah Zep has been asking for too much so they've yet to do anything with them.
    CSUTremonti777
    Is it just me or did anyone else think that cover was absolute crap? Do they really think they sound that bad? And I dont care what anyone says the worst cover guitar hero ever has is Pride and Joy. SRV is definitely pissed about that one.
    oggiedoggy
    leftajarandy wrote: they should hold their hands up and say "sorry for doing this" and then re-record the song so it sounds nothing like the original, just a completly crap song so that everyone that plays it goes, "these are shit" hahahahahaha
    lol
    CHEAPO ESP
    dude, heres the thing man, one hit wonder from the 80's who musta spent all the money they got from it, also did'nt guitar hero have their permission b4 putting it on game? if u give someone ur permission to put ur song on their game they should be able to put ur song on the game, also, dude whats it matter? if a couple illiterate people who cant read "as made famous by" what is it gonna hurt for them to think that the romantics re recorded it?
    MrGuitar123
    TacticalMuffin wrote: Thats a pretty gay reason. The point is to sound like the original band so that people don't give the game shit. If they had the guy singin Sweet Child O' Mine sound like Christopher ****in Walken then Axel would sue for makin him sound like shit.
    That would be ****ing cool man. Christopher Walken = win
    gigson111
    it was a cover song, sooooo, they didnt use their song, therefore they should not be suing them. they dont need to have permission for a band covering a song, its retarded
    ejenkins
    pwninator123 wrote: rush4life wrote: Yeah, there's a reason it says "made famous by", not just by. Plus they just want money because they're a one-hit wonder band from the 80's. just for clarification, not technically a one hit wonder band this has been...my two cents
    HAHAHA! indeed. that song SUCKS!
    J6strings21fret
    rush4life wrote: Yeah, there's a reason it says "made famous by", not just by. Plus they just want money because they're a one-hit wonder band from the 80's.
    Well said. +1
    Carlstrmm
    Wow. Thats lame. By getting on something like guitar hero, you usually will get more people with "hey i remember that song!" and "i love that song!" causing people to download their music. In the end its the band that wins. And what do they say? Sue em.
    Chickenparts
    ....Isn't the point of the whole thing to get as close to the original as possible? I smell jealousy. That some unheard of cover band can just make their recording almost indistinguishable from the original. That could tell you something about the band.
    matthewsims
    CAN ANYBODY BELIEVE THIS? "OH, Woe is us, our ONLY good song is being acknowledged and some guys are rocking out to us in Denmark or in GREENLAND! You can't do this to us!" WELL BOO HOO HOO...CRY ME A FREAKIN' RIVER! Why don't you record it yourselves, then... I hope Harmonix and all of them squash you...IT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING CRYBABIES...
    jthm_guitarist
    LOL that's hilarious. I'd bet that they pull that suit pretty quick to avoid further humiliation.
    MX4Life
    LMFAO that is the stupidest shit I've EVER heard. They sign away their song, and then sue them for making it sound good.
    silentscope1234
    Okay, even if people were tricked into thinking that the band actually recorded it ... is that really a big deal.....?
    DString
    GH, to me, actually made the song sound a little better. May be thats why they are suing. Did Dylan sue Jimi over "Along the Watchtower". To me Jimi made that song sound a little better,too. As plenty of us have figured out, these guys are broke, found out they under-sold themselves and this is a way to re-coup their loses. They should have been smarter from the start or had smarter people workinmg for them. What was the name of that band again.....oh yeah,the Romantics...thats right.
    Kikuta
    So I'm not the only one who punched my screen when I read the band members names?
    wilson 595
    wow it seems suieng people is the most popular thing in the world right now... other than rap
    lwnovember
    thats so lame.. is that not the point of a cover band? to sound like the band they are covering?
    Mcut202
    Wow. I've seen some ridiculous lawsuits, but this is at the top of the list.
    SoftParade1967
    Alright they try there best to put good covers of the songs up there. And apperently they did a good job on it. Why are they sueing them? Sheesh bands sueing people for stupid reasons nowadays.
    tdiz42008
    and the rest of the world said "who are the romantics?" grow some testies please.
    EllttEll
    lame, see this is the kind of band that every one know's the song but could care less who the artist is, you think they would be happy about being on the game, but instead they decide to sue for something they allowed you + lame = this band failing at life
    the_bi99man
    Congratulations, The Romantics. The number of people commenting on this article has effectively doubled the number of people who know you exist. And the lawsuit itself goes to show how much you fail at life and all that encompasses it, because you claim that the same group of musicians who completely freaking butchered "Heart-Shaped Box", "Beast and the Harlot", and "Hanger 18" on Guitar Hero 2 played your song so well you couldn't even tell the difference. Now that you've sucked ass publicly (again), you can go back to... well... sucking ass. Except we're going to stop paying attention. Again.
    jizzo
    they were just tryign to make an accurate cover...romantics, shut up
    ozzrhoads1982
    wow what bands have 2 do just 4 the money. if i was them i would feel very proud 2 know a different band covered my song and made it sound like the original. anyway the song sucks so why are they bitching
    StringsofBlack
    Wakisazhi wrote: Qasur wrote: Actually, if you look around, anyone can cover any song as long as you just properly award that song the correct authors. Why else do you think that bands from 60's, 70's, and 80's were all doing covers of 50's music and Bob Dylan? Yeah, he gets 10c every time they sale that CD, but who cares? Covers don't require too much permission, just some royalty fees that you have to dicuss. Sometimes, royalties just cost too much, whihc is why Guitar Hero is taking it's time to get some artists that they haven't had yet (such as Led Zeppelin, Steve Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, etc.) Actually they've covered Hendrix once and SRV twice. But yeah Zep has been asking for too much so they've yet to do anything with them.
    That would be so badass if they did Black Dog by Zep. Dear lord that would be sweet...
    Dead_End
    uhmm you sorta want it to sound like the original, did you hear the Lamb of God song in GH2, the singer was terrible, besides, as its been said, thats why it says "as made famous by" =/ this is kinda pathetic
    Metal_Hed_23
    The Romantics-" Those ****ers sound better than us.... hey, lets take all their money!"
    blueberry91
    Well at least this isnt something along the lines of Christmas Carollers being sued because they didn't have the rights to sing jingle bells.
    -xCaMRocKx-
    whatd they expect?! "OH YEAH WE'LL LET YOU COVER OUR SONG BUT IT HAS TO SOUND ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE OUR SONG." what is the world coming to? :S
    SOADrox429
    Haha. This is ridiculous. This reminds me of the Coke zero commercials where the guys from the company are asking the lawyers if they can sue for 'taste infringement.'
    rhcpfan118
    hahahaha, someone's looking for easy cash. hmmm how many hit singles have they had since "what i like about you"? oh, that's right, NONE. their probably having problems with ticket sales and figure hey... here's an easy chance to get money for our starving asses. pathetic.