Slipknot May Never Record Again

Corey Taylor says Slipknot could tour again in the future but he's not convinced they'll make any new music after the tragic death of Paul Gray.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
5

Corey Taylor says Slipknot could tour again in the future but he's not convinced they'll make any new music after the tragic death of founder Paul Gray earlier this year.

The bassist, 38, was found in a Des Moines, Iowa, hotel room after suffering an accidental overdose of prescription drugs. Slipknot immediately put all projects on hold, and since then Taylor's been working with his side-project, Stone Sour.

And he says promotion and touring duties in support of new album Audio Secrecy has kept his mind off thinking about Gray.

Taylor tells Clickmusic: Stone Sour definitely helped me, let's put it that way. We were just finishing up the album when we got the news about Paul. I was actually in Des Moines, so it was pretty brutal.

To be able to go to work right away has definitely helped me process things and help me through some stuff. Slipknot is a huge part of my life, but Stone Sour is a huge part of my heart. I'm fortunate to have both in my life.

But while other members of Slipknot have already said the band will continue, possibly without replacing Gray since so many of the eight-piece outfit are multi-instrumentalists, Taylor's not sure the future involves new music.

He explains: I'm not looking down the road to making a new Slipknot album I don't know if I'm prepared to make new Slipknot music without Paul.

I could definitely see us going out and doing some shows for the fans, and for us. But as far as doing an album it's going to be a while before I'm ready to do that.

Thanks for the report to RockAAA.com.

185 comments sorted by best / new / date

    adj209
    Stone sour is OK, but it really disappoints me to hear this. They've really developed as musicians.
    huevos
    fede01_8 wrote: the title is asking for trouble/trolling. It's like a lady with a short skirt walking in a prison
    No, no, no. The skank should be allowed to wear what she wants, which is definitely not asking for it, given the context.
    bucketned wrote: after they did the autopsy... ...did they understand Grays Anatomy?
    You sick puppy.
    JordanDH
    MrSir4 wrote: Reading comprehension, you are doing it wrong. That was somebody who replied to the guy I was talking to who said that he liked a few songs. Okay so I quoted the wrong post, simple mistake, but if you just read and had a little bit of common sense, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out who I was talking to. He called somebody a dick just because he did not like slipknot, sounds like a fanboy to me. Of course the reggae analogy makes sense. Reggae isn't brutal, neither is slipknot in my opinion, that was my way of expressing it, sorry I made you have to think. In conclusion, you sir, have failed. I am getting a lot of haters on here. I do not like slipknot, there I said it. If you do, that is okay it is your opinion, but I was just saying how I felt about them, so sorry I hurt all of your feelings but believe it or not, there are people out there who are not going to like what you like. Get over it.
    Wait, so you quote the wrong post, but it's still me that's made the mistake? Critical thinking; you're doing it wrong. The reggae analogy does not make sense. When people say something is brutal, they generally mean heavy. Any other sense of the word would not apply to pretty much any metal. Although some of Slipknot's lyrics actually could be described as brutal, but that's beside the point. The point is that anyone who can think would say that Slipknot are heavier (or in this case, more "brutal") than traditional reggae. And a band doesn't have to be the most "brutal" to have some "brutality" to them. "Brutality" is a scale, not strictly on/off. I don't care if you like Slipknot or not, but it's the stupid comments that are annoying. On both sides. The uppity little turds who get upset when anyone says something bad about them, and the tiresome trolls who can't wait to agitate the turds.
    crazysam23_Atax
    Crozmo wrote: Joost1795 wrote: Though i don't like metal/trash metal/death metal/nu metal i still feel sad for the band and it's fans. If my favourite band would never record again i'd be sad too. R.I.P gray. Slipknot is not metal, it's mallcore
    Mallcore is a good description of it.
    Skullivan
    TES_Vocalist wrote: "Slipknot may never record again" we can only hope
    You got your fingers crossed too don't you?
    SSaxdude
    Although it sucks they lost their bassist, I'm glad they might not record again.
    xStIcKsxStOnEd
    [quote]bfmvrock wrote: i swear people just hate slipknot because they think its cool to hate them... no they just suck that bad
    Mike Mars 1225
    I'm not a fan of Slipknot (Though I do think Joey is pretty sick), but I think it would be best for them to just make one more album in honor of Paul Grey, and that would be that.
    slashe50
    You have no idea of the massive grin that just was sewn into my face.
    KataklysmDeth
    shreddymcshred wrote: acade365 wrote: thedarkblues06 wrote: Xanron wrote: Slipknot May Never Record Again I'm perfectly fine with this. You're kind of a dick. You could've at least showed SOME sympathy...like this... SMB13 wrote: Not a huge fan, but still sad to hear. I like some of their songs, but I'm sad about the death of a bandmate, and hope they come around to record sometime in the future. why are you asking him to be a hypocrite? Incredibly philosophical question, well done.
    You win the internet, sir.
    KataklysmDeth
    xStIcKsxStOnEd wrote: [quote]bfmvrock wrote: i swear people just hate slipknot because they think its cool to hate them... no they just suck that bad
    To be completely HONEST, mick and joey are the only above average musicians and the only ones I love. I hate slipknot. so much. But I respect the hell out of those two.
    willBoyd
    its hard to loose a bandmate-whesther they die or just leave cause they're ur brothers. Paul Grey you r missed!!!
    KoK_Guitarist
    If they moved on and have one of the other 8 members to play bass that would be great but for now all we have to do is support and give them time to recoup,they're still hurt that they've lost not only a fellow bandmate but a friend and a brother.Maybe they will return maybe not but it's up to the Slipknot fans to get out there and continue supporting thier music.
    24Hammett24
    Xanron wrote: Slipknot May Never Record Again I'm perfectly fine with this.
    I agree but the truth is they will because there's no way they and especially their record label would pass up a chance to make money.
    pantera27
    if your going to troll on slipknot at least have some respect for the dead
    gljbass
    Can anyone give me one damn good reason to hate slipknot? I'm not their biggest fan, but I do like them. I like Stone Sour more. But I've asked this when everyone was bashing Avenged Sevenfold (whom i feel similarly for). If any of you haters can think of one damn good reason, speak up. Otherwise, shut the **** up.
    FallenByohazard
    shreddymcshred wrote: acade365 wrote: thedarkblues06 wrote: Xanron wrote: Slipknot May Never Record Again I'm perfectly fine with this. You're kind of a dick. You could've at least showed SOME sympathy...like this... SMB13 wrote: Not a huge fan, but still sad to hear. I like some of their songs, but I'm sad about the death of a bandmate, and hope they come around to record sometime in the future. why are you asking him to be a hypocrite? Incredibly philosophical question, well done.
    This is whats on my mind hahaha
    strat0blaster
    I can completely respect that decision, but it's a shame that they're done when they were just starting to make really good music.
    ExOblivione
    omgbadman wrote: Just an excuse. You could take another mediocre bass player and put him in the same mask and no one would even know the difference. But thank you if you're done with Slipknot
    That's what I said. Why announce he died? No one would notice.
    JordanDH
    MrSir4 wrote: You slipknot fanboys make me feel better about my life. You think they are so brutal; yet, I have reggae records that are more brutal than slipknot.....What? reggae is not brutal? than that should tell you something about your beloved slipknot... But I am pretty open to OTHER PEOPLES' opinions and if you like slipknot I am willing to agree to disagree.....If you really think that people are dicks for having opinions, then you might want to be sitting down for the news I am about to present to you.....You are a hypocritical, erect, dick. Thank you, and a good day to you, inchy.
    You're pretty stupid. The man said he liked a couple of their songs, so you immediately go for fanboy? And then you imagine people calling them brutal and believe that everyone who likes them does it. Your point about reggae is just bullshit. It doesn't make sense. In conclusion, get a ****ing clue.
    thedarkblues06 wrote: shitting on others to make yourself feel better.
    I really hate it when people say this. It doesn't make you clever, it's just stupid. It's pop psychology bollocks.
    happygoth
    mnewland1 wrote: Thank God. My condolences go out to the family of that drummer and all, but Slipknot basically sucks huge sweaty balls, atleast their more popular stuff.
    hey you goddamn dumbass, its their bassist! not their drummer! big differnce! now as for my thoughts i could go either way. i would like to hear more Slipknot i meean they are a great band but i also dont want them to since Paul was one of hte original members and it just wouldnt be the same without him. so i will respect whatever decision they make. RIP Paul. We still grieve for you.
    GasPipe
    Vinyl Countdown wrote: It's a true loss to the world of music if Slipknot don't record again but at least Corey and Jim can still survive their music through Stone Sour. Caught them on the Avenged Sevenfold/Stone co-headliner UK tour - absolutely fierce gig! It takes alot of jumping, moshing etc to tire me out after a gig, but I couldn't help but give my all to both bands after a fantastic overall performance. Respect to Corey and the rest of Slipknot.
    I'm going to be frank, I doubt it's a big deal to the world of music if Slipknot don't record again. I seriously doubt they will be remembered throughout the ages as pioneers of any type of music or the finest exponents of their genre. Just saying. Don't be so lenient with comments like that.
    Charvel1995
    Next Hendrix wrote: All due respect to Paul Gray and the remaining members of Slipknot. But when I read the title of this article i couldn't help but say "We know!." I miss UG telling actual news.
    Actually, it has been stated by Joey (drummer), they COULD record in the future, they DO have enough material for a new record. I've read a couple interviews with Joey, watched one, and met a fellow Slipknot fan at the Rockstar Uproar tour, and he had met Joey at Mayhem when he played with Rob Zombie, and spoke to him about the passing of Paul, and a new record, he was told WHEN and IF they record a new record, it will be dedicated to his memory, by naming it Gray.
    Swannie
    MrSir4 wrote: thedarkblues06 wrote: Xanron wrote: Slipknot May Never Record Again I'm perfectly fine with this. You're kind of a dick. You could've at least showed SOME sympathy...like this... SMB13 wrote: Not a huge fan, but still sad to hear. I like some of their songs, but I'm sad about the death of a bandmate, and hope they come around to record sometime in the future. You slipknot fanboys make me feel better about my life. You think they are so brutal; yet, I have reggae records that are more brutal than slipknot.....What? reggae is not brutal? than that should tell you something about your beloved slipknot... But I am pretty open to OTHER PEOPLES' opinions and if you like slipknot I am willing to agree to disagree.....If you really think that people are dicks for having opinions, then you might want to be sitting down for the news I am about to present to you.....You are a hypocritical, erect, dick. Thank you, and a good day to you, inchy.
    *applause and a slow headbang*
    Metalcore Jero
    I do sympathise with them for the loss of Paul, but I could care less about them never recording again. Its almost a christmas gift to me that they arent.
    BlisteringDDj
    Noooo! There's no one making music Like Slipknot. It's so unique... It's the best of the genre (maybe the only band of the genre I actually like)! D:
    Let It Be0o0
    liked some of their tunes but nothing really stood out to me :/ losing a bandmate though is always a tragedy now continue flaming
    Duality Ninja
    The worst for me is I never got to see the full band live. Now, I see all the haters are here as usual, but really guys? Just really? If your perfectly fine with them not recording anymore, then keep that to yourself. Whatever happened to "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all". I, for one, believe that these guys introduced a lot of kids to modern metal, sort of like a gateway band, the same way they introduced me. On to Corey, why does he have to be the only nay sayer in the band? This is why he worries me; he does this every time he's with Stone Sour, and this might have clinched it.
    MrSir4
    JordanDH wrote: MrSir4 wrote: You slipknot fanboys make me feel better about my life. You think they are so brutal; yet, I have reggae records that are more brutal than slipknot.....What? reggae is not brutal? than that should tell you something about your beloved slipknot... But I am pretty open to OTHER PEOPLES' opinions and if you like slipknot I am willing to agree to disagree.....If you really think that people are dicks for having opinions, then you might want to be sitting down for the news I am about to present to you.....You are a hypocritical, erect, dick. Thank you, and a good day to you, inchy. You're pretty stupid. The man said he liked a couple of their songs, so you immediately go for fanboy? And then you imagine people calling them brutal and believe that everyone who likes them does it. Your point about reggae is just bullshit. It doesn't make sense. In conclusion, get a ****ing clue. thedarkblues06 wrote: shitting on others to make yourself feel better. I really hate it when people say this. It doesn't make you clever, it's just stupid. It's pop psychology bollocks.
    Reading comprehension, you are doing it wrong. That was somebody who replied to the guy I was talking to who said that he liked a few songs. Okay so I quoted the wrong post, simple mistake, but if you just read and had a little bit of common sense, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out who I was talking to. He called somebody a dick just because he did not like slipknot, sounds like a fanboy to me. Of course the reggae analogy makes sense. Reggae isn't brutal, neither is slipknot in my opinion, that was my way of expressing it, sorry I made you have to think. In conclusion, you sir, have failed. I am getting a lot of haters on here. I do not like slipknot, there I said it. If you do, that is okay it is your opinion, but I was just saying how I felt about them, so sorry I hurt all of your feelings but believe it or not, there are people out there who are not going to like what you like. Get over it.
    krypticguitar87
    TES_Vocalist wrote: "Slipknot may never record again" we can only hope
    really? what difference does it make? if you don't like them don't listen to them, that simple.....
    krypticguitar87
    pantera27 wrote: if your going to troll on slipknot at least have some respect for the dead
    they can't it's cool to hate slipknot, because they aren't as cool as btbam and other gay acts..... "the guitars aren't complicated" that is the only real thing people here care about, nothing to do with the actual sound..... oh and before people start calling me a slipknot fan, I got sour news for ya, I don't like slipknot, not because I'm trying to be cool, but just because it ain't my cup of tea.....
    Drapion69
    elleild wrote: Ibanezbass4life wrote: [Azrael] wrote: Eh, Metallica carried on. And Avenged Sevenfold New albums equals money.
    True. What I Think Slipknot Should Do is Something metallica failed to do. they should make one last album, and heres an idead for the bassist, Ryan Martinie from mudvayne. and after that. stop doing slipknot, make slipknots new album the in justice for all of there album.
    Gibson_SG_uzr55
    This is sad news. But Slipknot always take long breaks between albums. Maybe after Stone Sour finish touring, and Corey has time to himself to be with his family and friends, he will feel up to working with Slipknot for a new album.
    DemonicTurtle66
    Used to be a fan, but I've stopped listening to them pretty much. I still like Vol 3 and some of their earlier stuff, but their latest stuff wasn't too good in my opinion.