Steve Jobs Passes Away

The legendary founder of Apple lost his battle with ill health. Here, we remember why his death marks the end of an era.

Steve Jobs Passes Away
22
Steve Jobs died last night aged 56. He turned Apple from a garage startup to the most valued company in the world, and convinced everyone that technology could be desirable. It changed technology forever. As well as founding Pixar, Steve provided Apple with the vision behind their game-changing products. The iMac made computers beautiful, the iPhone proved Apple could do anything, and the iPad was the culmination of his genius. This 1987 concept video shows how long Apple wanted to make a touchscreen device with Facetime and Siri the artificial intelligence behind the iPhone 4S. It was only released to the world one day before his death. He finally saw his greatest dream realised. Perhaps his greatest magic trick was learning to sell thin air. The iTunes store was the first time digital products became an acceptable thing to buy - mainstream consumers were literally handing Apple money for an invisible product. Today, the Apple site marks a memorial to their founder: "Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being," it says. "Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple." He left a lesson for all of us during his parting words to Stanford University graduates in a 2005 speech: "Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. "Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. He finished with the immortal words, "Stay foolish."

246 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    legacydream
    how can people not respect Steve Jobs or Apple, that 3"x2" brick in your pocket that has your entire cd collection, yeah that was his company and his vision
    Root Beer
    troyofyort wrote: iscreamicecream wrote: troyofyort wrote: iscreamicecream wrote: troyofyort wrote: iscreamicecream wrote: ipod..itunes..garageband....just some apple tools to listen and create your guitar rock music.Thanks to the man.. I think it deserves to be in the headline of this site. Too bad I use none of those or would never want to.... so how's living under a rock? Does me not using apples shit mean I'm living under a rock? ipod/itunes isn't the only mp3 player/music service.... you know apple makes the best products in ..and most companies put Apple as a standard of excellence..whether it be design aesthetics..user interface and functionality...or just as a business model. Jobs raised the bar and outclassed everybody. Apple's track record under his supervision speaks for itself. What's not to like about that? maybe youre just a pure inbred troll. I just don't prefer Ipods or itunes,and the only reason people say those are the best is because of most people use them, thanks to Apples brilliant marketing. But I just don't like them, are people not allowed to have opinions without being called an inbred troll?
    I would use them regardless of whether or not everyone else did, because I think they're the most user-friendly AND the most versatile. Your statement makes it seem like just because you don't prefer Apple's products, they're not good products, which is untrue.
    BigSpence
    I just don't understand why people think someone is a moron for feeling sad about someone's death and not knowing them personally. I didn't personally know a single person who was killed in the September 11 attacks, so am I not allowed to be sad or show them respect either? Come on, we're humans. I am a huge Apple fan and Steve Jobs fan, and I am very saddened by his death. I actually shed tears yesterday when I heard the news. I also cried about 9/11. Rest in peace, Steve. I am going to miss your genius ideas and seeing you conduct Apple keynotes. -Sent from my iPad
    ptrnsntofpwn
    LazarusOnGrave wrote: ptrnsntofpwn wrote: alright I'm sad a man died but he did not change the world. he created sleeker, easier to use, and 3 times more expensive versions of already existing machines and marketed the hell out of them (something to be respected) but when more than 60% of the world still doesnt have internet, i dont think a new iPhone changes too much of their life. steve jobs created a look that expressed a rich lifestyle that changed the upper middle class world, one that america believes to be the whole world, I'm sad hes dead, but my opinion of him is not of a world changer. I think its wrong to picket any funeral, but its also wrong to make someone more than he is due to an untimely death Well nothing ever changes the world completely, and no he didn't end world hunger or figure out world. But the people who say he wasn't that big a deal have no f***ing perspective whatsoever. I don't know if it's just the teens on here or what, but if you told me 10 years ago that in just a few years, we would be able to hear a song on the radio, say, "hey, I like that," push a few buttons on a CELL PHONE, and boom, you would have it downloaded right to the phone, most people would have that was completely crazy. Hell, 15 years ago, if you wanted a song on the radio, you had to put the cassette in the tape deck and keep your finger on the record button until it came on again. Ten years ago, everybody was fighting against napster and piracy, I think Jobs is one of the very few humans alive who actually looked at napster and realized that this wasn't merely an attack on the established music industry, it was the future. It was still in raw form, but I remember reading article after article questioning whether it was even possible to make money selling digital music to the satisfaction of an entire industry that was hesitant to any sort of change. No one is questioning that anymore. Say what you want about him, but Jobs completely changed they way we buy and the way we listen to our music. He came up with iTunes and the iPod, and the musicians, the executives, and even the fans had to adjust to his idea because it worked so damn well. There is no question that his death deserves mention here, he change the music industry more than anyone since the invention of the CD, and probably more than the CD itself.
    Next time you start a fair argument you shouldn't insult the fact they have "no f***ing perspective." You didnt even comment on what I said, you just dismissed what I said about changing the world and then talked about how he affected music for again the part fo the world that has money....agreeing with my very point. next time you want to argue about perspective, you should probably have enough to consider the argument you're arguing against.
    SSaxdude
    Even if you don't like Apple's products such as the iPod/iPhone/iPad, you have to realize that those products were the first commercially popular MP3 players/smartphones/tablets. After they were released, the industry saw the potential in all 3 of those products. Would the Zune have been created had iPods not made MP3 players popular? Would the entire Android platform even exist had the iPhone not made smartphones popular? I think not. RIP Steve, as one Mac geek to another.
    Nethero
    I was definitely not expecting to see this article on this site. I already knew about it, but man, apparently he was THAT big of a deal. RIP
    Poglia
    I don't like Apple, but he was definitely a man who changed our lives. RIP Steve.
    sparkeyjames
    There were MP3 players before the iPod. There were tablets before the iPad and there were smartphones before the iPhone. What Steve Jobs did was to refine them overprice them like Apples iMacs. Then he gave them great marketing. That is not revolutionary it is evolutionary. iTunes and Pixar's movies were the only revolutionary things Steve Jobs did. He did rescue Apple and that may have been a miracle given Apples state at the time he returned. From all reports I have read he was also an ***** but sometimes it takes an ***** to truly move a stagnant company to the top of the heap. I will give him this he changed the game of personal electronic devices just when it looked like no one else was capable of doing it. Apple fanbois will miss him and the world will continue until the next genius comes along. Rip Steve Jobs.
    rechris06
    Battman1993 wrote: To all the people trolling and disrespecting this man, I have something to say. I don't own any Apple products, and I personally think that Apple sucks balls. BUT, Steve Jobs started the most valuable company in the world and probably the most iconic brand of the last decade from HIS garage after dropping out of college. He created products that bettered the lives of millions and invented things no one could've invented. When any of you trolls do anything close to that, then you can spread your garbage and disrespect him. Until then, SHUT THE FUCK UP.
    +1
    EthelTheFrog
    Well! Looks like the economy is worse than we expected. We lost more jobs than we thought we would! But RIP all the same.
    motorxtp199 wrote: oxymorcide wrote: Yeah, music news.. I liked this guy, but this doesnt belong here. Without him there wouldnt be itunes which relates greatly to music you twat
    Aside from putting music on my ipod, which I only use when I'm not listening to records, CDs, or tapes, itunes is virtually useless. I'm kinda wondering what will happen with Apple now, though.
    kinslayerSOA
    I am not an Apple man whatsoever, however my respect for Jobs is abundant. I don't like that it's got to the stage where my parents call my Creative Zen my 'iPod' because of how synonymous 'iPod' is with music player. However, it proves how monumental the iPod and Apple have been to the technological industry. Kudos to Steve Jobs for his inginuity. I disdain how all Apple products are so expensive, especially on these shores compared to America. I can't believe how the 'fashion' of an iPod has inflated the price of it to more than a superior machine. However, it proves how well Jobs has got his product across to the mass media and the public, making his products so 'must-have'. Kudos to Steve jobs for his marketing ability. Steve Jobs transformed Apple from a tiny company in his garage into a multinational superpower. When people see the latest iPod product being released, they flock from far and wide to see it. When they see the price-tag, they will see it as a fair price. When they need a music player, they will call for an 'iPod' rather than an mp3. Steve Jobs, as the man behind Apple, has had a profound effect on the music technology sector, and can only be respected and admired for his business ability and determination to make Apple what it is today. R.I.P. Steve Jobs.
    jimmyjimbo72
    I hate iPads, iPods and iPhones. Nevertheless, Jobs made some crucial developments at the dawn of home computing, mainly the Apple II. Rest in peace.
    Root Beer
    SFosterS wrote: So much assumption... the one comment that got metoms88 wrote: Guppy_Odyssey wrote: I see that the d-bag brigade has wasted no time coming into someone's death article to crap all over them in order to look like an iconoclast and a rebel, just before knocking back a Mountain Dew and wanking to anime while listening to a horrible black metal band that they have convinced themselves is good. Anyways, RIP. Well said. Apple revolutionized the music industry! Walk into ANY reputable studio and i promise you they will ALL be running Apple software!!! You won't find ANYTHING digital in Jack White's studio. So many people generalizing! He changed the world... so did Osama/Hitler... this does not in itself make it good... seriously how ****ing stupid can you be to generalize SOOOO FN MUCH!!! Ahhh
    That's because Jack White doesn't know an iPod from a laptop. That said, he is generalizing, but it's true that the MAJORITY of them will have Apple products.
    SirWurscht
    Steve Jobs was a great man. He co-founded the most valuable brand in his garage, he contributed so much to the development of computers. Without Apple, the music industry (because nearly all albums are recorded on macs) and the whole graphic design would be not nearly there where it is today. The iPod and iTunes changed people's music-related lives enormously. Sure, there were other MP3-players before the iPod, but the whole design and handling of it was a milestone. The Apple computers are really well-designed, long-lasting, virus-free devices, which I would never trade for a Windows-laptop (but I'm not a Windows hater, they have its advantages too). For my needs as a graphic designer and musician it fits perfectly. And for all this reasons I am very saddened, that the genius who is responsible for that dwells no longer amongst us. I hope he will rest in peace. And I hope that Apple will going on well without him. And: Apple is great, but I cannot see the sense of the iPad either.
    Root Beer
    SirWurscht wrote: Steve Jobs was a great man. He co-founded the most valuable brand in his garage, he contributed so much to the development of computers. Without Apple, the music industry (because nearly all albums are recorded on macs) and the whole graphic design would be not nearly there where it is today. The iPod and iTunes changed people's music-related lives enormously. Sure, there were other MP3-players before the iPod, but the whole design and handling of it was a milestone. The Apple computers are really well-designed, long-lasting, virus-free devices, which I would never trade for a Windows-laptop (but I'm not a Windows hater, they have its advantages too). For my needs as a graphic designer and musician it fits perfectly. And for all this reasons I am very saddened, that the genius who is responsible for that dwells no longer amongst us. I hope he will rest in peace. And I hope that Apple will going on well without him. And: Apple is great, but I cannot see the sense of the iPad either.
    I agree 100% with everything this guy is saying. Couldn't have said it better. Thank you, sir.
    nerdfightermike
    Did he change the world? No. Did he change the computer world? Yes. Did he change Western society? Yes. Did he alter the course of music? Most definitely. First of all, possibly the most important thing that Apple ever did was about 25 years ago when they created the first GUI (graphic user interface. before this, everything was command line driven). If not for that, it's almost certain that computers would have never reached the level of popularity that they have. The same is true for the mouse. Now, let's look at a little bit of Jobs' history. He hasn't always been at Apple. You know those years when Microsoft won the PC battle (yes, no matter how much some people don't want to admit it, Macs ARE PCs. In fact, the Apple II was the original PC)? Well, Jobs was fired from Apple due to a difference in views, and it was during that time that Apple lost. If not for that, the Mac OS could be far more popular than Windows. No, he didn't change the world, but Western society wouldn't be anywhere near what it was if it wasn't for the GUI that he developed. All those photos you love looking at on Facebook? You couldn't see them. Most of our social networking wouldn't exist if not for GUIs. The internet craze is only what it is today because of that technology, and if you say that it wouldn't be a big deal for you to give all of this up, you're a liar. Should this be on the website? Most definitely. Most musicians use Macs for production. ITunes has changed how people buy music. It's not killing the music industry. Honestly, nothing is or will ever be killing the music industry. Not even piracy. The music industry is changing. Study the history of mass media, and this has happened several times in the past. Dating back to 1920, people were crying out about new technologies killing the music industry, but it's never been true. Do some legitimate research before you jump on the bandwagon. On the topic of jumping on the bandwagon, am I sad about Jobs' death? Most definitely. He was a great man (read some about his actual life; it's impressive) and a visionary (anyone who says otherwise isn't using the correct definition of the term). He wasn't completely original with the iPod, but the iPad popularized tablets and the iPhone revitalized the dying touch industry. He's changed your life, whether you know it or not. Finally, to those worried about Apple, he stepped down a while ago. Apple has been in the hands of Tim Cook since then, a man that some argue is actually more qualified. Apple will be fine. Rest in peace, Steve. You deserve it.
    avafreak252
    So sad because I totally wasn't expecting this. I love apple products and it's sad to see him go.
    Aays
    I don't suppose any of those idiots slamming Steve Jobs know that whatever you typed this up on, mobile device or computer or laptop, owes a large part to Steve Jobs. The Mac was the first computer to feature a graphical user interface. Without it all computers would simply display a black screen and you'd have to input commands. Windows came out over a year later. RIP Steve. It's not every day that an adopted child becomes a genius of a man who literally changes the world. Much respect for him.
    Freunleven
    I took a moment to think about what he's done for others, and what he could have done had his life continued on. How many demos are recorded using GarageBand? How many videos are created using iMovie? How many songs are sold on iTunes? Steve Jobs had a massive impact on the independent music scene, giving most of us the tools we need to break free from the labels and do what we love on our own terms. I didn't know the man, never saw him in person, but I respect him for what he did, for what he gave us, and for what we can continue to do with those tools. Unless you like the idea of DRM-regulated WMA files . . . .
    KingEuphoric
    I hate Apple, I think its a garbage company and the only product of theirs that I will ever purchase is an ipod (and only because lets be honest, zune?), but there can be no better tribute to Steve Jobs than to know that 90% of people found out about his passing on a product he created.
    doeeyedandrew
    Steve Jobs made two of the greatest inventions ever: the iPod and Pixar. And my MacBook. So I guess that makes three. Sad
    troyofyort
    iscreamicecream wrote: troyofyort wrote: iscreamicecream wrote: troyofyort wrote: iscreamicecream wrote: ipod..itunes..garageband....just some apple tools to listen and create your guitar rock music.Thanks to the man.. I think it deserves to be in the headline of this site. Too bad I use none of those or would never want to.... so how's living under a rock? Does me not using apples shit mean I'm living under a rock? ipod/itunes isn't the only mp3 player/music service.... you know apple makes the best products in ..and most companies put Apple as a standard of excellence..whether it be design aesthetics..user interface and functionality...or just as a business model. Jobs raised the bar and outclassed everybody. Apple's track record under his supervision speaks for itself. What's not to like about that? maybe youre just a pure inbred troll.
    I just don't prefer Ipods or itunes,and the only reason people say those are the best is because of most people use them, thanks to Apples brilliant marketing. But I just don't like them, are people not allowed to have opinions without being called an inbred troll?
    atomic667
    So Steve Jobs dies, and all people wanna do here is bitch about how they dont like apple... get on your god damn PC forums and jerk off. Dont flame him on a news article about his death. Rest In Peace...
    WalrusNutFart
    Ok. I understand the Steve Jobbs-Itunes music connection, but really? Bert Jansch died yesterday as well, who was a truly amazing guitarist. If you haven't heard of Bert Jansch, then I highly suggest you look him up. He playing was astonishing at least and he also influenced so many people(Jimmy Page, Neil Young, Johnny Marr, and Donovan to name a few).
    Dennoire
    MaddMann274 wrote: Imagine a world without apple products. A world abundant of those familiar little trinkets with that familiar half-eaten, white coloured fruit logo on it. Sure, we COULD use a half-assed Walkman to fulfill our music-listening needs. And we COULD carry around a laptop everywhere so that we could access the internet in a hassle. But because of one man, we now have the opportunity to bypass all this hardship. Rest in peace Steve Jobs. You truly have changed the world...
    After reading your post I feel compelled to single you out and call you a moron. Steve Jobs changing the world with an iPod, replacing the half assed walkman? An iPod is an mp3 player. Mp3 players had been around for over 3 years before Apple released the iPod. Steve Jobs changing the world the iPhone? No longer do you need to carry around a laptop to check the internet? Ericsson did that 7 years earlier. iPad? pfft. How innovative.
    Dennoire
    AC/DCnut wrote: Now, I don't want to be disrespectful, but here are some things that bug me about _Apple_. When you talk about Steve Jobs "changing the world", "world" means the "those few in the actual world who can afford Apple products". He might have changed the industry, but definitely not the world as his vision affects people in the first world only (yes, Symbian owns the majority currently). But that's just a rant, in brackets. Secondly, I feel that _Apple_ was too much centered around him, and it seems to me that the "cult" that was created can shoot back any time when the king is dead. Keep an eye on Apple-stocks' movement as Bill Gates is giving his funeral speech. Thirdly. I'm quite neutral towards IT products, but I never found anything special about _Apple_ machines. An iPod is an mp3 player, an iPhone is the same combined with a telephone, and an iPad is a thing of... whatever, I would never make use of it despite marketing telling me otherwise. Now listen here imbecile, the fact people have the internet in their pockets has changed the world. It was the first real MP3 player, so cram that up your cramhole. And you've clearly not used an Ipad much, otherwise you'd know it was truly genius. HATE ON YOU. RIP Steve Jobs
    You are also stupid.
    Savage Animal
    WalrusNutFart wrote: Ok. I understand the Steve Jobbs-Itunes music connection, but really? Bert Jansch died yesterday as well, who was a truly amazing guitarist. If you haven't heard of Bert Jansch, then I highly suggest you look him up. He playing was astonishing at least and he also influenced so many people(Jimmy Page, Neil Young, Johnny Marr, and Donovan to name a few).
    sadly, no one here cares. I posted this in the comments of other articles yesterday and was waiting for an update to the front page to have an obit for him. no one even acknowledged it. I think it just goes to show how many musicians (or w/e you call the people that frequent here) are out of touch with the roots of modern music. Jansch was a legend and a huge influence to me. I wish he would get the acknowledgement and respect he deserves. RIP Bert
    Echoplex
    People shouldn't remember Jobs for the iPad or the iPhone or any of that crap. They should remember that he helped to popularize the use of a GUI and a mouse in personal computers. Without that, where would we be now?
    Dennoire
    Savage Animal wrote: WalrusNutFart wrote: Ok. I understand the Steve Jobbs-Itunes music connection, but really? Bert Jansch died yesterday as well, who was a truly amazing guitarist. If you haven't heard of Bert Jansch, then I highly suggest you look him up. He playing was astonishing at least and he also influenced so many people(Jimmy Page, Neil Young, Johnny Marr, and Donovan to name a few). sadly, no one here cares. I posted this in the comments of other articles yesterday and was waiting for an update to the front page to have an obit for him. no one even acknowledged it. I think it just goes to show how many musicians (or w/e you call the people that frequent here) are out of touch with the roots of modern music. Jansch was a legend and a huge influence to me. I wish he would get the acknowledgement and respect he deserves. RIP Bert
    Well said. The death of an actual musician, is overshadowed, on a music website, by the death of a businessman who dabbled in the music industry.
    PhyrgianminorA#
    iljh wrote: Metal_Master_0 : Don't feel an ounce of sadness. Respect someone you know, not someone that's idolized. I highly doubt any of you had anything to do with his personal life (other than putting money in his wallet) so there's no reason to "respect" him. I don't like what apple has done to technology and I don't like what iTunes has done to music. I can honestly I feel not one emotion over this other than disappointment in humanity for swooning over another fallen man that's been made out to be greater than another human being. His vision was to become a rich businessman and he succeeded. Can't bring money with you when you die, though. The guy founded Pixar which made movies I love, and Apple makes products that millions purchased. The fact that he became rich has nothing to do with the fact that stuff he did made my life better. RIP Steve. Some of us care.
    In a strange way, i have to agree with this statement. You get my RIP, Steve, but not my ILM (in loving memory)
    ptrnsntofpwn
    alright I'm sad a man died but he did not change the world. he created sleeker, easier to use, and 3 times more expensive versions of already existing machines and marketed the hell out of them (something to be respected) but when more than 60% of the world still doesnt have internet, i dont think a new iPhone changes too much of their life. steve jobs created a look that expressed a rich lifestyle that changed the upper middle class world, one that america believes to be the whole world, I'm sad hes dead, but my opinion of him is not of a world changer. I think its wrong to picket any funeral, but its also wrong to make someone more than he is due to an untimely death
    Sign of War
    i hate Imacs but love Ipods and it's always sad to see the death of an important person. RIP
    robertito696
    As much as I rip into apple, Steve Jobs was quite the businessman. A terrible loss regardless of anyone's feelings about his company.
    zomgguitarz1234
    It sucks that I can't respect him as much as I normally would due to the 'mac vs pc' commercials apple launched, which gave me a HUGE biased against everything mac.