System Of A Down Going On Hiatus

There have been plenty of rumors suggesting that System Of A Down's Ozzfest performance would be their last, but the band is not breaking up.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

There have been plenty of rumors suggesting that System Of A Down's headlining stint on this summer's Ozzfest would be the last time frontman Serj Tankian, guitarist Daron Malakian, bassist Shavo Odadjian and drummer John Dolmayan would be appearing onstage together under the System banner. But Malakian revealed to MTV that's just not true and that the band is not breaking up.

"I'll always be a member of System of a Down," he said. "That will never change. There's no rule that says you have to make records constantly, like clockwork, to continue being who you are. We want to live our lives, [because being in a band] really consumes a big part of your life, and sometimes you just want to stop and slow down. We started being just these guys in a band, and the next thing you know, everyone's asking for autographs. It plays with your head."

So, Malakian said, after this summer's Ozzfest -- which will kick off in Seattle on June 29 and wrap up August 13 in West Palm Beach, Florida -- System of a Down will go on "hiatus."

"We're not breaking up," Malakian insisted. "If that was the case, we wouldn't be doing this Ozzfest, because we're a little nervous" about trying to fill Ozzy Osbourne's shoes. Ozzy will be headlining just 10 of this year's Ozzfest dates, with System topping the bill on Ozzy's off days. "We're going to take a very long break after Ozzfest and do our own things," he added. "We've done System for over 10 years, and I think it's healthy for us to get away from it for a while and come back to it later on. So, this is probably going to be ... well, it's not a farewell tour, but it's going to be a little while before we go out again."

Malakian said he couldn't guess just how long System's hiatus will be, other than to say a few years.

Read more at MTV.com.

192 comments sorted by best / new / date

    JuicyFrets
    SOAD new material is great, but I do agree toxixcity was better. WTF is wrong with you idiots that think SOAD sucks, why even click on the link in the homepage if you dont care about them
    gauthier
    Well I am glad they're not breaking up but taking time off, if they keep going hard like that quality will go down in their music.
    piratesatelite
    axethrower13 wrote: i would be disappointed if they pulled a Tool and waited 5 years to put out another album.
    thats nothing. lets hope they dont pull a Guns n Roses.
    SOADJPenator5
    n8tivepunk8 wrote: personally i dont think these guys can sing but they do have some awesome guitar riffs
    can't sing?? do you have ears? they are AMAZING singers, but Daron should sing less in the upcoming albums and stick to guitar, hes kinda taking over and giving serj less and less to do although serj does play keyboard sometimes. I really hope they dont break up at the end after all, that would suck
    Monkeygone2hvn wrote: Ronan514 wrote: jdsarge91 wrote: SOAD is the most digusting untalented piece of shit ive ever EXPOSED myself too. Most people who like SOAD have never even held a guitar in their hands and think BYOB is the best song ever written. Thank god there on hiatus, they disgust me. Wow...guess you dont know much about music. Besides awesome ability and great sound theyre lyrical arrangements are some of the most creative and skillful out there. You disgust me man, but to each his own, right? i can name like a million bands that have more talent in both lyrical and intrumental ability.... i think they should've opened for the mars volta instead of the mars volta opening for them imo The Mars Volta> system
    It's funny, you complain about people liking BYOB, while thats probably the ONLY song you have heard by SOAD, i hate people who know one song and go "THOSE GUYS SUCK ASS!" Get a little more informed people before you get all angry. Also do you really need to give your 2 cents of everything? Everyone has different music tastes, some people like SOAD some don't, but those that dont, please dont piss off those of us that do by telling us they suck every chance you get. And most people that hate SOAD don't even know what their songs mean and what they stand for, and that in itself is almost more inspiring to me than their music.
    soaderic
    SOAD kicks ass. i saw it coming too. there first album was the hardest rock they have ever done. Hypnotize has been somewhat slower songs. More meaningful than rockiful. Besides, the average gap of time between each album has been about 2 years. Not many people can put up with the attention they get. I would be insane by now. I tip my hat to the System.
    evil empire
    maybe instead of going on hiatus they should actually make a good album after the last 2 steaming piles of shit they realeased. don't get me wrong, i love soad, their first 3 albums were amazing. however mezmerize/hypnotize suck.
    newbie-me
    yeah but when the time they'll return their gonna be like grandpas' ... soo i guess nobody wound enjoy jumpin headbangin' grandpa
    soaderic
    yeah. Filling Ozzy's shoes? Ozzy probably doesnt know his own shoe size... his feet would crumble before he could get the shoe on.
    chad9478
    If you hate them. WTF are you reading about them for. Their work is completely original. Unlike 90% of the other bands out there. SOme of there records weren't the greatest, but on everyone one there was atleast 2 or 3 great songs. So to all you haters. F... off. Go read something about brittany spears.
    kurt_isnot_dead
    i'm imagining soad playing "lonely day" in the ozzfest and a big riot behind screaming for metal, haha
    Dorito
    A few years hiatus means only one thing, They will be back eventually, And their new album, much like their others, will come back sounding like a totally new System.
    Surrylic
    King ofKumbucha wrote: Yawn...that was the dumbest comment Ive seen in a While....indefinite means forever.
    Maybe you're dumb. Indefinite doesn't mean forever, it means an amount of time that is currently un-defined. Could be a year, could be forever. Forever is a misconception brought on by people postponing things indefinitely because they don't want to admit that they're over. Yawn , that wasn't a dumb comment. As a side note to another comment I saw saying SOAD has no talent in the singing department: Serj has a pretty beautiful voice, he just often sticks to yelling and Daron has stolen a lot of the slower singing parts. What is Serj gonna do on stage with Daron singing so much? Dance I guess, he plays air guitar half the time anyway so whatever works I guess ha. Daron can sing good too, but it's really only meh compared to Serj imo.
    whitewashed100
    Letterbomb11 wrote: Didn't Blink 192 also start with an "indefinite hiatus" before eventually breaking up? Hm... Blink has NOT broken up. Tom himself said that in the latest Kerrang (it's from Toms mouth, not rumor). There are rumors of them reuniting later this year, but I'm not getting my hopes too high. Anyway, for SOAD, hope this hiatus proves beneficial for all of us. All of SOAD's albums are great stuff.
    blink has too broken up. they hav gone on an indefinite hiatus. thats called a break up. well i would REALLYYYYY hope for them to get back together, i seriously doubt it. as for the soad hiatus. they'll probably end up breaking up too. hiatuses give time to figure out what to wo with theirselves. whether to keep the band up or if they wanna b normal
    whitewashed100
    ok yea that last comment by me was stupid. i never really thought about the real definition of indefinite, but the fact that tom formed a new band (angels and airwaves) and mark and travis formed another band (plus 44) sorta shows that they probably wont come back. and incase u havent read about it, the real story was that mark was offended by tom and travis's side project, box car racer. tom didnt kno and in europe, travis and mark were planning it and everyone knew they would break up. plus 44 comes from the international dialing code in england or something
    portringax
    boor wrote: Has anybody heard their latest "music" I think they've been on hiatus for longer than they think... ZZZZZing!!!!! Hooooowah
    Yes i have heard their new stuff Like Byob,hypnotize& lonely day which i've seen on tv.....so whats your point?
    les_paul_01
    but with blink they said "indefinite hiatus". considering one of daron's main points was that SOAD are NOT breaking up, i think they're a bit different
    noneoftheabove
    I'll never understand why people take the time to read articles, specifically about bands they don't like, and then proceed to comment why they don't like them. That being said System rocks, can't wait to hear daron's side project
    Black_Soad
    to ALL of the people who have said that system are a sh*t band and you hate them, what is your reason? because you dont like their music? because "apparently" they cant play an instrument good enough? well who cares how good a band is at playing all i care about is if there music is good and my style. you are saying that someone shouldnt like this because they cant play or their music sucks, well WHO CARES. as the great band Tenacious D have taught me "it doesnt matter if its good, it only matters if it rocks!" i could think of a HUNDRED bands that are good but i just dont like their style of music, so what do i think of them?? i dont say they suck, or about how their members need to get better, i just dont listen to their music and move on. system of a down are my FAVOURITE band, but i dont think they are the best band, there is not such thing as a "best" band, only opponions.
    euan_soad
    RockMusicFan wrote: But they have already been having at least a year's worth of a break between each album. I would think that's long enough. A few years is ****ing long. I'll be done with college before they regroup, and I haven't even started yet.
    i still have 2 years of school left
    Mik3_D wrote: and their lyrics sound like they were written by a 13 year old. Though I guess thats their target audience so nm.
    13?? my dad is nearly 44 and loved the concert and still listens to the cds. black_soad makes a lot of sense
    trivium777
    I would hate them alot less if daron didnt control everything Aerials was a hella cool song with a nice riff.
    supersonic23
    I guess the hiatus is ok just as long as they dont break up, and im intrested to see what their "own things" are
    emkaybee
    Haven't they already said they were taking a break?.. Sucks though, they're my favourite band. I can honestly say that I like every one of their songs that I've heard. It felt weird when I realised that
    Freakapotamus
    whoever said this band has no vocal talent needs to shove their heads in a pile of elephant crap. Serj is one of the most talented vocalists out there today. I hope its not more than 4 years till their next album
    gwitersnamps
    steveCFH wrote: Seriously though SOAD are a bunch of commie America haters.
    That's why I love 'em.
    Sinoque
    Well I for one love the first two SOAD albums simply because every track is excellent, it seems to me that the post-Toxicity albums didn't have this quality, nevertheless they had a few good tracks on em'. I think thats the reason I don't like them as much anymore. Hopefully they'll come back after a few years and release a kick ass album
    Tedward
    But all most all of SOADs new stuff is easy to play, but its really fast, ive only had my guitar since Christmas
    genresrforposer
    the whole green day bandwagon thing: THAT ALBUM WAS FUEL FOR THE FIRE AND COULD NOT HAVE BRAINWASHED TEENAGERS SEEING AS HOW ANY OF THEM THAT BOTHERED TO LISTEN TO IT WERE ANTI-BUSH TO BEGIN WITH. Thank you. Oh, and that guy saying lonely day lyrics are boring.... it's abt the crazy solo ya hater(moron)
    salsa811
    i'll give them 3 years for their "hiatus" and come back with another ****ing awesome album!!!! SOAD rox!!!
    Hate, lol.
    SOADsoad wrote: Hate, lol..well i think ur an idiot because greenday never amounted to more than maybe a millionth of what soad has done. You obviously dont listen to their songs because all of them have deep meaning and you probably dont get it because they use a lot of symbolism and ur too stupid to figure it out. As for their hiatus.... Daron will be making many solo albums, Serj will be more involved in producing with his record label Serjshot....so their music will still be their just not the entire band.
    Stfu. i love system and i DO get what they're talking about so you dont tell me what i do or dotn understand. *****.
    Hate, lol.
    gwitersnamps wrote: steveCFH wrote: Seriously though SOAD are a bunch of commie America haters. That's why I love 'em.
    ROfl you rock
    Nybb
    Meh, they're one of the better mainstream acts out there, but I was getting kind of tired of them. And the guy who said the guitarist is a prick, I agree, I was just thinking the same thing.
    Weapon&TheWound
    The new stuff does not suck its called evolving not everyone would like to hear sugar and atwa the sequel yes godsmack this means you you suck
    Prowler15
    Yeah, I think that SOAD should learn how to play their instruments correctly, tune their guitars and at least take some time off...I mean, you gotta give 'em props but they can do better
    "Tele" Steve
    steveCFH wrote: Seriously though SOAD are a bunch of commie America haters.
    Right. Because everybody who doesn't like Bush is a commie America hater. Give me a break.
    CreepyGuy
    Tortiss wrote: Old stuff=Amazing New Stuff=Good They can defenitly are talented though. Serj is one of the best vocalists around these days. Shavo does have some great bass licks. The Drummer is pretty well-rounded. But Daron...He should quit the band, they should take Buckethead as there new gutair player. Problem solved.
    I Agree completely!! BUCKETHEAD!!
    Dark_Sanity
    they will never fill ozzy's shoes. black label should head line. it's about time the went away if you ask me. they seem more like a joke than a band. but that''s my opinion and thousands of people think they are amazing. more power to them for doing better than all the other numetal bands though. at least they are still around....for now
    ImaMagician
    steveCFH wrote: Aight this is da best news I fink I'd heard in da longest time. Doesn't you fink System is like da most ****ing bullshity ****ers in da ****in world. Aight I in da house.
    Actually, I think you need to learn English. Anyways..SOAD is pretty cool in my opinion. I didn't care that much for hypnotize/mezmorize, but their other albums were pretty cool. I hope their hiatus doesn't last too long.
    Monkeygone2hvn
    Ronan514 wrote: jdsarge91 wrote: SOAD is the most digusting untalented piece of shit ive ever EXPOSED myself too. Most people who like SOAD have never even held a guitar in their hands and think BYOB is the best song ever written. Thank god there on hiatus, they disgust me. Wow...guess you dont know much about music. Besides awesome ability and great sound theyre lyrical arrangements are some of the most creative and skillful out there. You disgust me man, but to each his own, right?
    i can name like a million bands that have more talent in both lyrical and intrumental ability.... i think they should've opened for the mars volta instead of the mars volta opening for them imo The Mars Volta> system
    Covin
    thank God. I think that their egos are just starting to clash and they're going on hiatus, hoping that when they come back together, each thinks the others will have dropped his ego...haha
    MegaRon
    rap_Fn_sux wrote: dude they deserve a break man those dudes are awesome!
    Totally.
    euan_soad
    sorry to double post but we should have seen this coming with Darons Solo record. I know Serj had Serart,but that never consumed a major part of time.
    E<>Myeh
    i can under stand y ther takin a brake those last albums would hav taken alot out of them there pretty damn good
    atomikpunk666
    how can you say they jumped on the green day bandwagon..... they had political songs before American Idiot