Tanks For Nothing...

In two weeks' time the new Tank album, War Machine, will be released.

0
In two weeks' time the new Tank album, War Machine, will be released. It's taken the band nearly eight years to assemble a steady lineup and put together a new record. But for at least 10,000 people, being asked to wait an extra few days is asking too much. That's the number of illegal downloads War Machine has already clocked up. The argument over filesharing is a long drawn-out one; but the fact remains that Tank are the victims of theft. What does that mean for the band, and rock music in general? It means we're in danger of never hearing the next Sabbath, Purple, Maiden, AC/DC or Metallica, says singer Doogie White, ex of Rainbow and Yngwie Malmsteen. New bands struggle to get advances record companies won't take the risk. All we'll be left with is X Factor music, because fans' stole the very thing that gives this scene life: the music. He admits it's positive that after nearly a decade out of the spotlight so many people want to hear Tank's latest work. If it translates into sales then maybe some good comes of it. But you get the trotted out lines: If you made a decent album' I can't afford all the albums I want' You guys have made enough money' It's self-justification for theft: they steal music because they can. Then they say, But I always buy a t-shirt.' Yeah, you do because the merch guy would crack your head if you stole one. Guitarist Mick Tucker is more philosophical: People used to tape albums and pass them round their friends. This is the modern version. Plus, metal fans tend to be completists so they're likely to buy the album if they like it. We've fought to keep metal alive and we'll fight anything that could damage the band but on the other hand, if what we lose in album sales is compensated by ticket sales that we wouldn't have had otherwise, then we'll adapt our strategy. With rock and metal representing over a third of all tour tickets sold in the world, it's an argument worth considering. Other acts have taken the view that their album is effectively a promotional device for their tour; but how does that match with the notion that music which cost time and effort to create is suddenly without cash value? Guitarist Cliff Evans says: War Machine is not disposable garbage. We want you to hear the album the way it deserves to be heard: on vinyl or CD rather than MP3. It's rock at its very finest. Show it some respect, please. He adds: The complete package is very good; it contains lyrics, photos and liner notes which help create the right vibe for listening to these awesome songs. Ex Guns N'Roses manager Alan Niven recently commented that the industry had dropped the ball with respect to packaging: a CD which comes with nothing but a foldover sheet is contributing to the argument that recorded music is not art. And Sebastian Bach has observed: We make our living by making music. Learn to play, write a song, record it and use it yourself. Because I have to feed my children and pay my bills with mine. War Machine is released on October 25. Thanks for the report to RockRadio.

67 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    travislausch
    ...and your chicks for free?
    But for at least 10,000 people, being asked to wait an extra few days is asking too much.
    Sorry, but when you take eight years to make an album, you're pretty much asking for it. It's a wonder they even have fans anymore.
    MT in Austin
    Sebastian Bach has observed: We make our living by making music. Learn to play, write a song, record it and use it yourself. Because I have to feed my children and pay my bills with mine. Well said. I'll see you when you tour my area of the country. You cheated out of $20 on your last CD.
    xHellbound
    DriveMe2Firenze wrote: Thats bull. I can make music by slapping my ass cheeks.
    I lol'd hard. xD
    p_a_morgan
    Man I hate when I see all these comments about "all these musicians care about is money. Music is art!! blah blah blah" True..but if you really want to go out there and play and make records, then you need financial security. Not everybody can just quit their jobs, write songs, go on tour and hope for the best. These bands make very little money as it is and if they want to keep touring and making music for a living, we need to help them. I know music "isn't all about money" and I know there are bands out there who actually think that, but how many kids picked up a guitar for the first time and said "dude, I'm gonna make a lot of money off this." Not many. They would love to go out there and do it for free, but unfortunately you need money to survive on.
    SilverSpurs616
    Dream Floyd wrote: Tons of unknown bands can still get gigs. Paul Gilbert makes the majority of his money from concerts.
    Paul Gilbert is a world-renowned musician considered amongst the best guitarists alive, Tank are...who? It's not the same
    wat wat indabut
    If you can not make it financially playing music, then that probably is saying something. I am sure it is not that bad. Playing shows, getting chicks, getting drunk or other drugs, and still making some money.
    Amuro Jay
    DriveMe2Firenze wrote: Thats bull. I can make music by slapping my ass cheeks. Money is a bonus for making good music, not the other way around. If you make music that's good enough to make you money, you will get money regardless of "piracy"
    False, plenty of artists make great music and never get enough money to make a successful career.
    p_a_morgan wrote: Man I hate when I see all these comments about "all these musicians care about is money. Music is art!! blah blah blah" True..but if you really want to go out there and play and make records, then you need financial security. Not everybody can just quit their jobs, write songs, go on tour and hope for the best. These bands make very little money as it is and if they want to keep touring and making music for a living, we need to help them. I know music "isn't all about money" and I know there are bands out there who actually think that, but how many kids picked up a guitar for the first time and said "dude, I'm gonna make a lot of money off this." Not many. They would love to go out there and do it for free, but unfortunately you need money to survive on.
    Great post right here. Checked.
    Riggy
    8 Years to make a CD? Jesus, you'd think they where GnR or something.
    SkepsisMetal
    Shoegaze wrote: "...New bands struggle to get advances record companies wont take the risk." That's where I stopped reading. The fact he still believes bands need record companies in this day and age proves he's just as clueless as the precious record companies about how the business works now.
    It's almost a fair enough point, but it seems he's arguing 2 sides of the same coin. Band's sure as hell don't need a signing to be able to make music. But it doesn't half make it easier. If I'd spent the best part of a year sat in my mates basement, sweating my ballsack off making, mixing and semi-mastering an album worthy of distribution, I'd like someone to then take charge of getting it out there for me and getting the bands name on tour listings, without me having to learn by heart all of the legal stuff and calling up managers, booking agents etc. That said, the music industry as a whole needs record companies to run itself as a buisness...which is maybe what he was trying to say. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    falco.1993
    it's about time people started understanding that illegal downloads are raping the music industry and leaving it to die in a Best Buy parking lot. why Best Buy? I dunno.
    shadowsofglory
    This is simply ignorant. Ignorant to the fact that we aren't in the 80's anymore, Tank. Stop making music if you can't have it your way. It's 2010. How many artists do we know that garnered their popularity through the internet? Seriously, there is absolutely no point in voicing your concern over people not paying for music. It's really 2000/Metallica of you. Maybe if you haven't spent the last 8 years trying to figure out who the hell is in your band, you'd clue in. RAGE! I'm going to be giving out burned CD's of your album outside of the venue if you come to Toronto. Blank CD's? That I'll pay for.
    emphaticleech
    I don't get it... If we download music, we'll hear the music, correct? What's this bullocks about It means were in danger of never hearing the next Sabbath, Purple, Maiden, AC/DC or Metallica, ... First off, why would we want to hear someone copy these guys? They did their thing and now they're in the history books. I want NEW music. I don't want the same rehashed riffs every decade. Filesharing is just another way bands get heard. Most of the people that do it are either too young to go out and buy the albums (also meaning parents my keep them away from it due to "Explicit Content" stickers), or they're broke... yet care enough about the band to want to hear anything new they put out. It's been my experience that most people will actually buy the album if they like it... but more importantly, merchandise sales. Ticket sales. Now, if there are as many filesharers for concert videos as there are for MP3s now, in the future? That's going to be a problem. But do you really think people would rather download a concert rather than go to one?
    espChris93
    crazysam23_Atax wrote: Maybe the band should've gotten their act together. I mean, 8 freaking years to get a steady lineup?
    ahahah whats up with everyone on some type of high horse? not be the condescending pessimist but you have no idea what exactly happened during those years. I've waded through hell desperately trying to find a good lineup for my band in the last 3-4 years and Im still not close to being satisfied. Great Lineups are 100% luck, right place right time for the people involved
    BlitzkriegAir
    Tank used to be great, i think one guy is left from the original lineup, but the album sounds great so ill still pick it up, and just cause people dont know who Tank is doesnt mean theyre not important, they were still one of the leading NWOBHM bands, just because youre ignorant doesnt make the band trash
    emphaticleech
    jetfuel495 wrote: False, plenty of artists make great music and never get enough money to make a successful career.
    Name them. And they have to be bands that actually bitch about it.
    Randomrings
    wat wat indabut wrote: If you can not make it financially playing music, then that probably is saying something. I am sure it is not that bad. Playing shows, getting chicks, getting drunk or other drugs, and still making some money.
    I'm about to go into college. Music is all I really know how to do, its the career I need to make something of myself. I haven't played a show in about 6 months, I've been single for almost a year, and I'm still a virgin who has never done drugs or even tried alcohol. The last band I was in, I was in it for about 7 months, and I collectively made $5 that whole time. So that's the way I look at artists and their choice of finance, because I am one
    drumpat
    And about those who carelessly download... Well, add those to your marketing costs, Mr. Bach, and stop ranting already.
    drumpat
    Those who want to pay for music will do so. But it's up to the artist to give the rest an f'in reason to want.
    Grimriffer
    Most bands make their income off concerts are merchandise. If you aren't a big band like Metallica or Slayer most likely you'll need a real job. Sorry, Tank( On the other hand filesharing is a killer way to promote young bands that are just starting out(that's how I first learned about Gorod) or obscure bands that deserve to be heard(that's how I learned about Daath and Illdisposed).
    Ali-b912
    I'd buy the new Tank album if anybody ****ing sold them. Distribution is half the goddamn problem. You can't find anything but X-Factor music at a majority of stores.
    crazyhorse174
    I think some people are missing the point here. And before I start here, I should admit that I regularly download albums, so I'm in no way biased. Yes, musicians should be in it for the music, but of course they're in it for the money as well. It is their job after all - they have to make a living. I'm sure if someone came into your workplace and told you that they were looking for products/service/whatever, but weren't paying you, you wouldnt be happy. Why should they be any different? The problem is that piracy is so rife that its almost become an accepted part of society. Even the ISP's wont do anything about it, despite pressure from the government/record company's. The people who come on here and argue that you wouldnt get to hear bands if you couldnt download their stuff for free, or that people who download are likely to then spend money on tickets or merchandise (or all the other reasons) are only trying to justify the fact that they are breaking the law. Yes, some of these reasons may in fact be true, but it is still breaking the law. As I said, I do download stuff from the net. I'm not hiding that fact. But neither am I trying to justify it, or say that its right. Musicians need to make a living as well - its difficult trying to hold a proper day job and tour to promote your band. Rant over!
    Jiimmyyy
    I disagree with the majority of illegal downloading. If I download an album, I will buy it if I like it & when I have enough money. The whole 'music is about art & not money' thing is pretty poor. I'm 18 now & I want to pursue a career as a performing & recording artist. If people don't buy my work then I will be stuffed. I think file sharing has it's benefits, but I'm sure that a lot of people who download albums illegally never actually buy them. I can't pursue my career as a musician if I'm too poor to sustain myself. People spend their lives making music, if people have the 'music is art & not money' attitude, then the artists you listen to & love will have no money to sustain themselves & will go bust. They will effectively be jobless. I don't know if the benefits of illegal downloading helps musicians, but I still am worried about it.
    w77yyz
    Has anyone asked the question... How do you pass this band off as Tank, if Algy Ward isn't part of it???? THIS IS NOT TANK. Not that piracy is right, but this band passing itself off as Tank is completely fraudulent (ie. Like Motorhead without Lemmy). I wish them luck on there album, but put it under a new name.
    ahiddenmexican
    Oixord wrote: Sucks, but what ya gonna do. Besides, music shouldn't be all about the money.
    i agree with you there, but when music is your CAREER and your only source of income, it starts to be a little bit about the money
    TheBloodstained
    if bands wants to avoid filesharing they should be better at distributing samples of their work to their listeners! I'm not satisfied with one single and a musicvideo. I want at least 3 full lenght tracks before I can determine if I want to buy an album. I've seen a lot of danish bands who goes in the studio, records an demo/EP and puts it on their website for free and unlimited download so you have a decent chance to check 'em out before putting money on the table! That's the way to do it! I like buying cd's and supporting the artist - artist which I often learned about through filesharing...
    guitarheo3
    if you like the band, buy the CD. i downloaded nightmare by a7x 4 days before it was out but when it officially was out i payed $10 for it and deleted the downloaded version. i doont't think downloading will hurt anyone but the big record exec's. band's make money from merch and tickets.
    E-dogg66
    I honestly beleive I have the ansewer to this problem, Unfortunantly just like all band's and buisinessmen alike I too am A big fan of money, so I won't tell until I get paid. (much like record labels)
    metalaxxeman
    Sorry double post ! but point being made i'm actually gonna buy the album on CD if it sucks... i'm taking people with me. Its about the music not the money !
    metalaxxeman
    BadgerCubed wrote: nothing we haven't heard before. this article might as well be a form letter.
    Shoegaze
    "...New bands struggle to get advances record companies wont take the risk." That's where I stopped reading. The fact he still believes bands need record companies in this day and age proves he's just as clueless as the precious record companies about how the business works now.
    Oixord
    Sucks, but what ya gonna do. Besides, music shouldn't be all about the money.
    von gelb
    Guitarist Mick Tucker is more philosophical: People used to tape albums and pass them round their friends. This is the modern version. Plus, metal fans tend to be completists so theyre likely to buy the album if they like it.
    This guy knows what he's talking about. Me and my friends were into tapetrading in the 80's and if we liked a record we still bought it.
    AdriAn934
    flydth3bArbr wrote: out of spite I will now be downloading the shit out of this cd
    Ahahaha
    XxBassMan666xX
    The fact that music is so easy to get nowadays helps new bands get across a lot more. Before they had to be famous to get famous, not all it takes is a couple of downloads and they're on the road playing. It's all the people that don't put on a good show or those bands that just are not good that are taking the fall. In a way the downloading is helping clean up the music industry by getting rid of all the bands that are just not good.
    80'smetaladdict
    um explain how black sabbath, and iron maiden copied people. Since black sabbath is completely original. and iron maiden have a unique sound.please enlighten us.
    archangels wrote: Yeah, blame your fans for you not being famous. That helps. And claiming there will never be another Sabbath/Maiden/some other lame metal band? No kidding. Those bands weren't famous because they copied someone else. They were huge because they made music no one had ever heard. I don't know who Tank is, or why this article included them when it mostly an article of random people whining about the music industry, but this article made me rage. Hard.
    MT in Austin
    Not to support theft but how many of those downloads were from people who never, in a million years, would have bothered to pick up a Tank album? How many of those people promptly deleted it because they didn't like it? How many people discovered a band they wanted to see and buy merch for? The argument goes both ways. How many times have you bought a CD only to have one song that was worth a damn on it? For me the answer is plenty. There are exception but often it's $20 for 1 good song and a bunch of filler. So what do I do? I listen to internet radio and buy the one track I like from a band. Then iTunes pays the artist about 5 cents for the song and everyone else gets a piece of the rest. It works the same as before except I am not paying $20 for 1 song and fueling the suit-driven scam machine. And, yes, I do go see bands live when they are in my area.
    master
    altgrunge wrote: As a graphic designer, and someone who enjoys CD packaging, I fully agree that when you buy a CD you should be buying an experience. This crap with just a small foldover with no information is boring. Like a video game, or a book, when I first open that CD I want to have that kickass feeling of excitement.
    Agree completely, especially when it comes to vinyl. Vinyl album art used to be so kick ass. Sometimes they have really cool surprises like a poster and such. I always appreciate stuff more when I pay for it; makes me feel like I deserve it more.
    Dream Floyd
    Tons of unknown bands can still get gigs. Paul Gilbert makes the majority of his money from concerts.
    RDSElite
    I don't know Tank, but this article surely is interesting and they have a very valid point.
    archangels
    Yeah, blame your fans for you not being famous. That helps. And claiming there will never be another Sabbath/Maiden/some other lame metal band? No kidding. Those bands weren't famous because they copied someone else. They were huge because they made music no one had ever heard. I don't know who Tank is, or why this article included them when it mostly an article of random people whining about the music industry, but this article made me rage. Hard.
    mediate
    At least this article is better than that Gene article. Thankfully the guitarist is somewhat accepting of it and doesn't want to start the next crusades against file sharers. At least one more person who can see that, as long as they get more fans and thus ticket sales, everything can be all right.
    80'smetaladdict
    oh shit sorry i didnt read the whole comment i take back what i said before sorry
    80'smetaladdict wrote: um explain how black sabbath, and iron maiden copied people. Since black sabbath is completely original. and iron maiden have a unique sound.please enlighten us.archangels wrote: Yeah, blame your fans for you not being famous. That helps. And claiming there will never be another Sabbath/Maiden/some other lame metal band? No kidding. Those bands weren't famous because they copied someone else. They were huge because they made music no one had ever heard. I don't know who Tank is, or why this article included them when it mostly an article of random people whining about the music industry, but this article made me rage. Hard.