Text Message Urges People To Pray Against Incubus Show

A text message aimed at American band Incubus is circulating in advance of the group's July 28 concert at the Araneta Coliseum in the Philippines.

Text Message Urges People To Pray Against Incubus Show
0
A text message aimed at American alternative rock band Incubus is circulating in advance of the group's July 28 concert at the Araneta Coliseum in the Philippines. The anxious text message states: "PRAYER ALERT !! A rock band called INCUBUS s comin 2perform at d Araneta Coliseum on July 28. We mUST pRAY this group dUZnt even step on2 Philippine soil so that they dONT impart their spirits in2 our youth!!" according to ABS-CBN News. The message then describes the word "incubus", stating the word is a "male demon believed to lie on sleeping persons...", a "situation resembling a terrifying dream" or "someone who depresses or worries others". The text also states "incubus" is another word for "nightmare". Incubus' July 28 concert is part of their "If Not Now, When?" world tour. This would be the rockers' third visit the country; they played Manila in 2008 and 2004. In an interview posted in March 2009 on YouTube, Incubus frontman Brandon Boyd and lead guitarist Mike Einziger explained the reason they named their band "Incubus". "Because it's a silly sounding word", Einziger said. Boyd added, "And we were 15 [years old] and we had to think of a name quickly because we got to play at a party in someone's backyard." Both band members thought the word was "pretty harmless".
Thanks for the report to Anne Erickson, Gibson.com.

31 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    T3HM3T4L
    xDONx wrote: @Jesus_Dean i totally get your point. Opinions are opinions and i respect that. But someone really had to bash countries and drag nationalities in just for kicks? Is that really necessary? For a column for incubus? I mean really, we do not need to talk about this if this nonsense bashing was never brought up in the first place. jeez... I know this is not some love-for-country-day thread but come on people, try to have some respect.. if you were attacked like that and you did not respond with your counter opinion, then that is up to you man. this is my opinion. as you said, "Live with it! You're never going to change their opinions and you only waste (your) time and energy trying to do so.".
    Don't worry about the comments here, they are directed at the people 'who don't know any better'. You obviously do. It's the same hate Americans get for Westboro Baptist IMO. People may generalize over that text message, but it always happens with all cases like that. Just hate on the tard who gives all of you a bad name and be proud you know better.
    tomc2
    I can understand why they don't want them there... Incubus sucks! But seriously, I can understand if it was like Deicide or someone who is actually spreading satanic shit, but, Incubus? Come on!
    xDONx
    @Jesus_Dean i totally get your point. Opinions are opinions and i respect that. But someone really had to bash countries and drag nationalities in just for kicks? Is that really necessary? For a column for incubus? I mean really, we do not need to talk about this if this nonsense bashing was never brought up in the first place. jeez... I know this is not some love-for-country-day thread but come on people, try to have some respect.. if you were attacked like that and you did not respond with your counter opinion, then that is up to you man. this is my opinion. as you said, "Live with it! You're never going to change their opinions and you only waste (your) time and energy trying to do so.".
    Jesus_Dean
    @xDONx: Did you join today just to respond to this post? If so, then calm down. I'm an American living in Europe and if I rose to the "anti-American bait" every time I'm confronted with it, I would never get anything else done in my day. There is always going to be someone who doesn't like you because of where you're from, what you look like and how you sound. Live with it! You're never going to change their opinions and you only waste (your) time and energy trying to do so. And as far as grammar goes, this is UG (Worldwide, which is what I find especially cool ) and not some college-level English essay. Back on topic: Just goes to show that the Jesus Crispies are the same all over. Always on the lookout for Satan and seeing him everywhere. They must have a very good relationship with Ol' Scratch to see him so much. He never shows himself to me, dammit!
    Kirezar
    xDONx : To all the f*ckheads here, read this: 1. I am Filipino, 100% (i don't care what you say, go f*ck your dog or something. Screw your country too if you hate us you f*cking dumbf*ck). 2. This stupid text message is a work of some stupid ignorant f*ck (most probably a filipino too, shame on you!), and not the work of the entire Philippines. 3. I'm an avid reader of UG comments for a while now, and generally, most of the people around here are supposed to be 'metalheads'. You are defending Incubus now? Where is your dignity? I thought you are 'metalheads'? F*cking lame-ass incubus lovers. 4. Don't get me wrong, i used to love incubus, before they turned to sh*t. 5. Metal bands have been to our country (Lamb of God, Trivium, Shadows Fall twice and even released the DVD of their show there Madness in Manila, Dying Fetus, Arch Enemy, Hatebreed, Coheed and Cambria, Death Angel who was founded by a filipino, Mr. Big, Deftones, Testament, Darkest Hour, etc.), and continue to come (Everytime I Die, The Acacia Strain), and they were all received with the warmest filipino crowds ever. All because we love metal. 6. I repeat, i am 100% filipino. And all over the world, we are regarded as having mediocre education. TRY TO SPOT ANY ERRORS IN MY ENGLISH.
    Americans are regarded to be fat dumb guys and not all of them are (I'm not american by the way), so just because you write well doesn't mean most of your people do, which I can confirm when I go to a band's facebook and see filipino comments they are always with horrible grammar
    xDONx
    Americans are regarded to be fat dumb guys and not all of them are (I'm not american by the way), so just because you write well doesn't mean most of your people do, which I can confirm when I go to a band's facebook and see filipino comments they are always with horrible grammar See, i did not mention any nationality here aside from filipinos. This is to show you all that we respect those who respect us. Yeah, i can see you can write well too. But i guess, you can't speak for your fellow citizens too, eh? Some people have english as their primary language, and can't even write or spell it right. Come on people.
    SGofawesome
    xDONx wrote: To all the f*ckheads here, read this: 1. I am Filipino, 100% (i don't care what you say, go f*ck your dog or something. Screw your country too if you hate us you f*cking dumbf*ck). 2. This stupid text message is a work of some stupid ignorant f*ck (most probably a filipino too, shame on you!), and not the work of the entire Philippines. 3. I'm an avid reader of UG comments for a while now, and generally, most of the people around here are supposed to be 'metalheads'. You are defending Incubus now? Where is your dignity? I thought you are 'metalheads'? F*cking lame-ass incubus lovers. 4. Don't get me wrong, i used to love incubus, before they turned to sh*t. 5. Metal bands have been to our country (Lamb of God, Trivium, Shadows Fall twice and even released the DVD of their show there Madness in Manila, Dying Fetus, Arch Enemy, Hatebreed, Coheed and Cambria, Death Angel who was founded by a filipino, Mr. Big, Deftones, Testament, Darkest Hour, etc.), and continue to come (Everytime I Die, The Acacia Strain), and they were all received with the warmest filipino crowds ever. All because we love metal. 6. I repeat, i am 100% filipino. And all over the world, we are regarded as having mediocre education. TRY TO SPOT ANY ERRORS IN MY ENGLISH.
    -None of your "I"s are capitalized, like they should be. -"I'm an avid reader of UG comments for a while now" Should be "I HAVE BEEN an avid reader of UG comments for SOME TIME." -"All because we love metal" is a sentence fragment. -NEVER start a sentence with the word "and". I'm apologize for being a grammar Nazi, but you asked someone to try and spot errors in your english. Also, I HATE when people like you get so easily offended about a pointless troll comment on an internet thread, posted by an American. Americans are the most narrow-minded people when it comes to race, and even you should know that. So let's all just un-bunch our panties and not give a crap, okay?
    Krieger91
    hahahaha.
    "Because it's a silly sounding word"
    Incubus are probably stoned laughing about this now.
    SGofawesome
    Jesus_Dean wrote: xDONx wrote: Sorry SGofawesome, "I'm apologize" for my severe grammatical insufficiency.haha sorry dudes, can't help it.=) LOL! Hay Don, leev him ulowne. Thu trowll is wize beeyond his (16) yeers! Beesides, he dun "owned" hisself, savin evuryone else thu trubble. It wuz a Brit whu rote "screw the Philippines" an not an Americun.
    Haha, I wouldn't have done it if he didn't say to spot errors in his English. So I decided to be a dick Again, I just don't like it when people get so offended over internet comments. It's just stupid.
    ThunderPX
    If I knew anyone who would text something like this to me I would punch them in the face.
    xDONx
    Sorry SGofawesome, "I'm apologize" for my severe grammatical insufficiency.haha sorry dudes, can't help it.=)
    Jesus_Dean
    xDONx wrote: Sorry SGofawesome, "I'm apologize" for my severe grammatical insufficiency.haha sorry dudes, can't help it.=)
    LOL! Hay Don, leev him ulowne. Thu trowll is wize beeyond his (16) yeers! Beesides, he dun "owned" hisself, savin evuryone else thu trubble. It wuz a Brit whu rote "screw the Philippines" an not an Americun.
    xDONx
    To all the f*ckheads here, read this: 1. I am Filipino, 100% (i don't care what you say, go f*ck your dog or something. Screw your country too if you hate us you f*cking dumbf*ck). 2. This stupid text message is a work of some stupid ignorant f*ck (most probably a filipino too, shame on you!), and not the work of the entire Philippines. 3. I'm an avid reader of UG comments for a while now, and generally, most of the people around here are supposed to be 'metalheads'. You are defending Incubus now? Where is your dignity? I thought you are 'metalheads'? F*cking lame-ass incubus lovers. 4. Don't get me wrong, i used to love incubus, before they turned to sh*t. 5. Metal bands have been to our country (Lamb of God, Trivium, Shadows Fall twice and even released the DVD of their show there Madness in Manila, Dying Fetus, Arch Enemy, Hatebreed, Coheed and Cambria, Death Angel who was founded by a filipino, Mr. Big, Deftones, Testament, Darkest Hour, etc.), and continue to come (Everytime I Die, The Acacia Strain), and they were all received with the warmest filipino crowds ever. All because we love metal. 6. I repeat, i am 100% filipino. And all over the world, we are regarded as having mediocre education. TRY TO SPOT ANY ERRORS IN MY ENGLISH.
    slaveskinJACKET
    slaptasticdave wrote: slaveskinJACKET wrote: On the plus side, maybe they'll impart some grammar skills into the Filipino youth, which, apparently, the elders are completely lacking. That's a fair trade; the souls of your youth for the knowledge of proper grammar. Because obviously english and its grammar are second nature to the people of the Philippines
    Maybe not... but they've obviously got American English text grammar figured out, which should be secondary to actual English grammar.
    CSguitarvocal
    If they're freaking out over a band like Incubus, I wonder what would happen if Cattle Decapitation ever made a stop there...
    livinoffaprayer
    There is so much win in these comments. But on topic, they have already been there so trying to keep them out is dumb. People have already heard their music so none of this is doing any good. It is pretty pointless...
    Eirien
    Do the people responisble for this realise how much good publicity they're giving to the band?
    strat0blaster
    I'd get off the plane in ripped clothes with pale face paint on and bloodshot eyes shouting gibberish at everyone I saw and yelling "GIVE ME YOUR YOUTH!"
    Jesus_Dean
    If I were in this band, we would wait until the last minute, go out on stage and say "OMG, I really wanna play but can't!! It must be all those prayers working against us! Help me, Help Me!!" And then I would let the pyros go, and blow some sh1t up. In the smoke and confusion we would leave the stage, go home and those kids would never, ever forget that show. 50 years later, the fans would tell their grandkids how they were at the concert the night the devil came and got that band "Incubus". "..came and snatched `em right off the stage, he did!"
    postmortem2006
    There was a death-thrash band called Incubus before these guys, who had to change their name because of 'em. It was a more fitting name for a metal band if you ask me. That said, screw the Philippines.
    plkoijhu
    I knew a guy from the Philippines. I forced him to smoke weed and he exploded. Incubus should be careful
    slaptasticdave
    slaveskinJACKET wrote: On the plus side, maybe they'll impart some grammar skills into the Filipino youth, which, apparently, the elders are completely lacking. That's a fair trade; the souls of your youth for the knowledge of proper grammar.
    Because obviously english and its grammar are second nature to the people of the Philippines
    Killmainstream9
    Once again the stupidity of religion plays it's way into music. RELIGION NEEDS TO STAY AWAY FROM MUSIC.
    Salvo416
    I wouldn't want incubus to play in my town either. Their new stuff is horrible.
    Lacebad
    wouldn't mind but this is the shit band called incubus who play alt rock, they'd have reason to pray if it was the metal band incubus
    slaveskinJACKET
    On the plus side, maybe they'll impart some grammar skills into the Filipino youth, which, apparently, the elders are completely lacking. That's a fair trade; the souls of your youth for the knowledge of proper grammar.