Tom Morello Slams Rush Limbaugh

Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello wants conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh to stop using the band's music on his radio show.

Tom Morello Slams Rush Limbaugh
159
According to Blabbermouth.net, Rage Against The Machine guitarist Tom Morello wants conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh to stop using the band's music on his radio show. "Rush Limbaugh played 'Sleep Now In The Fire' as a bumper on his show today," Morello told RollingStone.com. "Our response: 'Hey, jacka-s, stop using our music on your racist, misogynist, right-wing clown show." Earlier in the week, Canadian rock legends Rush sent a cease-and-desist letter to Limbaugh asking for their music to be pulled from Limbaugh's syndicated talk show. Limbaugh made several inflammatory remarks about a Georgetown University law student last week, calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" and a "prostitute" after she argued that birth control should be covered by health insurance at religious institutions. He subsequently apologized, saying his choice of words was not the best. According to RollingStone.com, radio programs generally don't need explicit permission from songwriters to play their music. Radio networks are covered under blanket agreements for "public performance" of the songs in major publishing catalogs, and so long as those networks pay their licensing fees, they are allowed to play whatever they like within the bounds of FCC regulations. However, in Rush's cease-and-desist letter, the band's attorney claimed that the "public performance of Rush's music is not licensed for political purposes," essentially arguing that the scope of a public performance license has limits.

121 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Rattlehead2
    Users slam Ultimate-Guitar for overusing word 'slam' in their news
    I seriously wait for an article like that.
    BigSpence
    Tom Morello is awesome, but I don't see how he can say one sentence and UG turns it into an article. Leave the political news to The Colbert Report.
    GrungeHippie26
    Are all of you that scared of politics? It's like anytime a musician has something to say, you guys shit your pants and tell them shut up and play music. It's about time someone used their fame to stand up for what they believe in. It hasn't truly been done since the 60's and I'm glad Tom and Rush said what they said.
    babinator99
    KerNeL_KLuTcH wrote: If you wan't socialized health care, be my guest move to Europe or Canada, there is a reason that they all have higher tax rates than the USA.
    And there's a reason that Canada and Europe overall have a higher standard of living than America
    G-money!$
    GrungeHippie26 wrote: Are all of you that scared of politics? It's like anytime a musician has something to say, you guys shit your pants and tell them shut up and play music. It's about time someone used their fame to stand up for what they believe in. It hasn't truly been done since the 60's and I'm glad Tom and Rush said what they said.
    Mustaine does this all the time...he just combines it with Limbaugh and misspeaks a lot, and then people throw a bitchfit
    Skarson
    wolfstock wrote: Even though Limbaugh did a horrible job at communicating his point, he is right. Religious institutions shouldn't be forced to provide something that is against their belief system. It's basic freedom of religion, and it's infringing on their rights. And this is coming from someone who doesn't go to church, and totally takes advantage of his girlfriend being on birth control.
    Birth control is used to treat medical issues (such as ovarian cysts), not just to prevent pregnancy. In fact, that's exactly what Fluke intended to discuss in her testimony. I don't see anyone from any religious institution protesting health care coverage of Viagra.
    limpidgreen345
    PeterPdeC wrote: I'm conservative, I hate Limbaugh, and Morello is the man!
    I hate everything.
    BurntGerbil
    BigMikeBDD wrote: I've never been a fan of Morello and think RATM is painful to listen to. But this isn't new. Morello and the RATM music as a whole are political tools that sing about the same garbage over and over. The music industry has to be weak Libbies because it's what's expected of them. You're not allowed to have cajones anymore.
    The next news article: "Well known activist Tom Morello has no cajones" says anonymous man who's identity is concealed.
    GNRAGE_2010
    wolfstock wrote: Even though Limbaugh did a horrible job at communicating his point, he is right. Religious institutions shouldn't be forced to provide something that is against their belief system. It's basic freedom of religion, and it's infringing on their rights. And this is coming from someone who doesn't go to church, and totally takes advantage of his girlfriend being on birth control.
    Yet those same people are always clamoring for a more religious or Christian president despite a separation of church and state. They think the government should outlaw abortions and make them illegal even though not everyone believes that. It is back and forth BS that doesn't go anywhere with double standards and contradiction on both sides of the party lines.
    ne14t
    ...Limbaugh made several inflammatory remarks about a Georgetown University law student last week, calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" and a "prostitute"... As a Canadian I gotta ask are all these Right wing bastards this effing crazy? Talk about still living in the 1700's might as well burn her for being a witch too.
    Abacus11
    Vinson wrote: This is one reason musicians should avoid politics. Tom you sound like a racist (just for using the term to try to get people on your side) liberal hippy! Go protest with some people on Wall Street LOL!
    Yeah... because if you play an instrument you shouldn't think about the world around you or speak about it or do anything about it. Idiots with microphones like Limbaugh should be the only ones who can speak about those things... Good luck, Buddy.
    bitchfist
    i'd love it for morello to be featured as much as dave ghrol on UG. hes certainly still relevant..
    Tyler.Allain
    wolfstock wrote: Even though Limbaugh did a horrible job at communicating his point, he is right. Religious institutions shouldn't be forced to provide something that is against their belief system. It's basic freedom of religion, and it's infringing on their rights. And this is coming from someone who doesn't go to church, and totally takes advantage of his girlfriend being on birth control.
    You're wrong. Freedom of religion means freedom of religious belief not freedom to practice the implications of your religion regardless of consequence. The federal government is allowed to, and does, regulate religious practices in accordance with the promotion of the "greater good" of the public. Birth control access is for the "greater good" of the public and when considering this and the commerce clause of the constitution, which as interpreted by S.C precedence, means the government can regulate market activity and inactivity, the government can in fact force religious institutions to pay for health insurance that covers birth control. Learn the proper information before you make incorrect assertions about what the government can and cannot do. It can do it and it should do it. Whatever ridiculous fairy-tales you subscribe to is not the concern of the federal government if it interferes with promotion of the common good.
    guitar7masta
    wolfstock wrote: Even though Limbaugh did a horrible job at communicating his point, he is right. Religious institutions shouldn't be forced to provide something that is against their belief system. It's basic freedom of religion, and it's infringing on their rights. And this is coming from someone who doesn't go to church, and totally takes advantage of his girlfriend being on birth control.
    well gee then it's a good thing the bill was changed long ago, as in, right when this controversy started, which doesn't force religious institutions to pay a cent toward anything they are morally against. it is only the insurance companies that have to front the bill, and really, who cares about them?!
    wolfstock
    Even though Limbaugh did a horrible job at communicating his point, he is right. Religious institutions shouldn't be forced to provide something that is against their belief system. It's basic freedom of religion, and it's infringing on their rights. And this is coming from someone who doesn't go to church, and totally takes advantage of his girlfriend being on birth control.
    LazarusOnGrave
    Limbaugh saying "my choice of words was not the best." Anyone else notice that he apologized not for what he said, but HOW he said it? It's not a matter of right or left wing, Limbaugh is just a jackass. He's belittled women on his show for years, and calls any woman who supports women's rights of any kind a feminazi.
    limpidgreen345
    Does anyone else find it ironic that Morello and the rest of RATM for that matter are shills for unlimited government power over decisions of individuals?
    darb0114
    OldCouch wrote: madh4ttr wrote: this just shows how stupid this country is when we argue about birth control. conservatives want to keep every child to be born from conseption but then once its born, doesnt want to help pay for it. this world just keeps getting more ****ed as we go Why should other people have to pay for your children? Call me crazy, but I believe that only those who can support their own children should have children.
    Your CRAZY!!!! Hahaha....but seriously people. If you can't afford and support a child, don't have a child.
    guitar7masta
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: Oh wow, another full blown celebrity liberal not shutting up about their political opinions. Tom, shut the hell up and play your guitar (or turntable, seeing as you can't seem to shut that frigging Whammy pedal off).
    rush limbaugh is just a conservative celebrity, so maybe he should shut his mouth too. freedom of speech, have you heard of it?
    arnolddrummer
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: Oh wow, another full blown celebrity liberal not shutting up about their political opinions. Tom, shut the hell up and play your guitar (or turntable, seeing as you can't seem to shut that frigging Whammy pedal off).
    Do you even know what RATM is about? Tom should be the last celebrity to shut up about his political opinions. Espesially since he is much more well informed about politics than most people.
    Skarson
    BigMikeBDD wrote: Skarson wrote: wolfstock wrote: Even though Limbaugh did a horrible job at communicating his point, he is right. Religious institutions shouldn't be forced to provide something that is against their belief system. It's basic freedom of religion, and it's infringing on their rights. And this is coming from someone who doesn't go to church, and totally takes advantage of his girlfriend being on birth control. Birth control is used to treat medical issues (such as ovarian cysts), not just to prevent pregnancy. In fact, that's exactly what Fluke intended to discuss in her testimony. I don't see anyone from any religious institution protesting health care coverage of Viagra. Tired of this arguement. It's such a low percentage it almost makes it useless.
    Don't bring statistics into a debate unless you can cite them.
    pnkr0cker
    ne14t wrote: ...Limbaugh made several inflammatory remarks about a Georgetown University law student last week, calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" and a "prostitute"... As a Canadian I gotta ask are all these Right wing bastards this effing crazy? Talk about still living in the 1700's might as well burn her for being a witch too.
    You should hear what the left wing people say about people who don't agree with them - *ahem* Bill Maher. Way more demeaning to women than using the term "Slut" Funny thing is, social media never achknowledges that side!
    Maestro1600
    'Tom Morello is left wing'- Helluva headline. Tomorrow- 'Gene Simmons likes money' & 'Billy Corgan has control issues'
    AmalgamOfMeat
    wolfstock wrote: Even though Limbaugh did a horrible job at communicating his point, he is right. Religious institutions shouldn't be forced to provide something that is against their belief system. It's basic freedom of religion, and it's infringing on their rights. And this is coming from someone who doesn't go to church, and totally takes advantage of his girlfriend being on birth control.
    I'm kind of surprised this comment got so many up-votes. The bill was altered to make the insurance companies pay for it instead so your point is moot, and the vast majority of women that work for religious organizations use birth control--in other words, they're paying the women and most of them are using some of that money to buy birth control anyway. Birth control for women also has many other health benefits so even if you're celibate, you're doctor may suggest some form of birth control. It's not a matter of morals, it's a matter of women's health and the insurance companies actually SUPPORT this decision because the health benefits in the long term save them (and the people) money. There is no reason this should not be passed.
    Meta1H3ad
    PatVanHalen5150 wrote: Oh wow, another full blown celebrity liberal not shutting up about their political opinions. Tom, shut the hell up and play your guitar (or turntable, seeing as you can't seem to shut that frigging Whammy pedal off).
    Tom Morello is a legend, shut the **** up
    BriGuy7727
    KerNeL_KLuTcH wrote: if you can't afford birth control don't have sex, Tax payers should not have to pay for others "activities".
    You do know how birth control works right? You don't take it as many times as you have sex. There are women that need birth control to regulate their menstrual cycle...it's not just about having sex. Anyways I think that musicians should have the right to determine who uses their music & what their music is being used for. I get that they aren't compensated for having people play their songs (in most cases), however, that shouldn't also prevent them from determining usage.
    OldCouch
    madh4ttr wrote: this just shows how stupid this country is when we argue about birth control. conservatives want to keep every child to be born from conseption but then once its born, doesnt want to help pay for it. this world just keeps getting more ****ed as we go
    Why should other people have to pay for your children? Call me crazy, but I believe that only those who can support their own children should have children.
    caseharr33
    Morello makes music Limbaugh makes people angry, let them both stick to what they do best.
    centermass
    sounds like they are both a couple of bulls on parade.. i wish celebrities would shut the hell up already especially these two jack masters!!!!! yes a million times !!!! unfortunately it looks as though the libbies are out in force to back up crappy music with a save the world motto...at least on this site..
    BigMikeBDD wrote: I've never been a fan of Morello and think RATM is painful to listen to. But this isn't new. Morello and the RATM music as a whole are political tools that sing about the same garbage over and over. The music industry has to be weak Libbies because it's what's expected of them. You're not allowed to have cajones anymore.
    nafireball
    To all the people who say "TOM SHOULD TURN OFF HIS WHAMMY HURR DURR" Please listen to his three 100% acoustic folk albums.
    limpidgreen345
    darb0114 wrote: Flukes argument was horrid. She says it costs $3,000 for 3 years for contraception. Birth control pills can be as low as $9 a month. Condoms around a dollar. She would have to have sex 3 times a day 365 days a year to justify that cost. If I can't afford to go out to eat at a fancy restaurant every single day for dinner, I don't. If she can't have sex 3 times a day every day of the year, then don't. Don't ask the government to pay you for it, unless of course they want to pay me to go out to eat at a fancy restaurant every single day.
    I do NOT wake up at 5:30 AM and go to work so that I can have money removed from my paycheck at gunpoint and used to subsidize a 30-year-old law school student's sex life. The fact that this principle isn't brain-dead obvious to everyone pretty much means it's time for an asteroid to hit the world's reset button.
    darb0114
    Flukes argument was horrid. She says it costs $3,000 for 3 years for contraception. Birth control pills can be as low as $9 a month. Condoms around a dollar. She would have to have sex 3 times a day 365 days a year to justify that cost. If I can't afford to go out to eat at a fancy restaurant every single day for dinner, I don't. If she can't have sex 3 times a day every day of the year, then don't. Don't ask the government to pay you for it, unless of course they want to pay me to go out to eat at a fancy restaurant every single day.
    lVlaniac
    Morello is very active in the political sense. I like Rush and Morello's stand, no one wants to be associated in any way with an extremist with a microphone who doesnt know half of what he says.
    Kapalen
    wolfstock wrote: Even though Limbaugh did a horrible job at communicating his point, he is right. Religious institutions shouldn't be forced to provide something that is against their belief system. It's basic freedom of religion, and it's infringing on their rights. And this is coming from someone who doesn't go to church, and totally takes advantage of his girlfriend being on birth control.
    But the people who work for them aren't catholic you moron. The catholic church runs hospitals and tons of nonreligious organizations. If the church wants to enter into commerce it must be willing to accept the ramifications of that. Otherwise they could say its against their religion to pay their employees at all.
    GreenDayFan16
    I think that(staying away from the birth control issue) RATM and Rush have every right to say "Do not use our music." Sure, using it on radio is covered by law, but if the band explicitly asks you to not use it, I think that they have that right to say you can't, especially if they don't believe in what you believe or do not agree with you.
    Maestro1600
    nafireball wrote: To all the people who say "TOM SHOULD TURN OFF HIS WHAMMY HURR DURR" Please listen to his three 100% acoustic folk albums.
    Only managed to listen to the first one. I agree with most of his opinions, but there's some shockingly poor lyrics on there. Sub sixth-form poetry stuff. But you're right, no whammy pedal...
    Tyler.Allain
    To add, parenthood is to be planned carefully. We cannot afford to bring children into this world who will not be raised by adequate and prepared parents. Birth control helps ensure unplanned parenthood doesn't occur. This is for the "common good"
    Swannie
    i love that more people are upset with a woman being called a slut than that woman saying that taxpayers should pay to allow her to have all the sex she wants
    limpidgreen345
    nafireball wrote: To all the people who say "TOM SHOULD TURN OFF HIS WHAMMY HURR DURR" Please listen to his three 100% acoustic folk albums.
    He's a complete tool philosophically but I like his playing.
    Abacus11 wrote: PS - Tom Morello is an amazing guitar player and I love that he's an educated musician who isn't afraid to express himself.
    Educated? That's one way to put it. I just can't stand people with no intellectual honesty. He needs to listen to some of the lyrics to the songs he plays.
    LedZepFan543
    ne14t wrote: ...Limbaugh made several inflammatory remarks about a Georgetown University law student last week, calling Sandra Fluke a "slut" and a "prostitute"... As a Canadian I gotta ask are all these Right wing bastards this effing crazy? Talk about still living in the 1700's might as well burn her for being a witch too.
    Yea they all are that crazy and stupid. Have room up there in the great white north for me?
    k3v1n shr3dz
    wolfstock wrote: Religious institutions shouldn't be forced to provide something that is against their belief system. It's basic freedom of religion, and it's infringing on their rights.
    So, it's okay with you that your employer can dictate what health-care you receive? This might not seem like a huge deal, but a Jehovah's Witness church could claim the same thing to deny blood transfusions, organ transplants, etc.
    darb0114
    limpidgreen345 wrote: I do NOT wake up at 5:30 AM and go to work so that I can have money removed from my paycheck at gunpoint and used to subsidize a 30-year-old law school student's sex life. The fact that this principle isn't brain-dead obvious to everyone pretty much means it's time for an asteroid to hit the world's reset button.
    I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!
    Vypor
    Go Tom! The thing about this argument people never seem to understand is REALLY SIMPLE.. The cost of prevention is ALWAYS much much lower than the cost of contraception. If nobody was able to prevent pregnancy, how much money would we be throwing towards our already out-grown population? What? You say thats not your problem, women shouldn't be allowed to have sex like men do? If that's really how you feel, then where are you going to get yours?
    Kapalen
    PoopietheClown wrote: I am pretty stoked to read that most of these posts are AGAINST this liberal f'cktard. I was stupid and liberal, once...but that was when I was a young dbag that felt I was owed everything in the world. ya see..Tom " I pray my xp-100 doesn't break " Morello actually thinks he is still owed something..or he thinks that people he cares about deserve more _____ ( fill in the blank )than people you care about. I actually signed up to help the Sandanista's or was it the Contra's at a RATM concert? Can't remember..but either way, I was high and..I got junk mail from all kinds of left wing sociopath groups. Material and statements that were far more racist and caustic than anything Rush Limbaugh has ever said. Rush is an american citizen that should be able to voice his own opinion about a 3rd yr law slut..err, student with 2 undergrad degrees in Womens empowerment courses. Think about that..that skank is trying to suck logic out of your brain. Does the govt..buy your rubbers? How about your church? Libs always try to suck the logic out of simple things. For example..Libs say ..Homosexuality is normal. Well, what is normal? 10% of the population? NO- logic would dictate that 90% were normal and 10% were Abnormal. right? Here's the liberal handbook steps (1-3). 1. You are stupid. 2. Evil isn't real 3. Everything and everybody should have equality. Problem with all three of those? 1. You are not stupid. 2. Evil is real and it can take the form of soft bigotry ( libs love sb ) and 3. Not everyone or everything should be equal. Things should be fair, not equal. There is big difference between the two of those. Ask yourself, do I work harder than other lazy slobs at my office or job? do they deserve the same things as me? NO. You and your effort deserve exactly what you get. The people who claim to be " saviors of the downtrodden" are probably making a lot of money acting like that. PS - There is no defending any Night Watchman cd...they are just horrible. John Lennon was a closet republican...deal with it.
    If you weren't some stupid UGer, I'd take the time to berate you for your idiocy. I'll have to settle for just telling you how funny it is when you say you were stupid in the past tense.