As I Lay Dying: 'We've Never Had A Problem With Anti-Christian Bands'

As I Lay Dying's Nick Hipa discussed the new album, touring and the group's Christian faith.

As I Lay Dying: 'We've Never Had A Problem With Anti-Christian Bands'
0
It's hard to believe that a veteran metal band like San Diego's As I Lay Dying could be just hitting their stride now, some ten years and five full-lengths into an already stellar career. Still, even after just one listen to the quintet's latest, The Powerless Rise, you can't ignore the obvious: One of modern metal's best just got better. It is no surprise too that As I Lay Dying have attained an entirely new level of artistry and urgency with The Powerless Rise. By taking the trademark As I Lay Dying sound and adding a band-wide effort to the mix and underscoring it with singer Tim Lambesis' novel approach to writing lyrics, the group has truly outdone themselves on The Powerless Rise. As I Lay Dying have toured extensively throughout the world during their illustrious career thus far, including headlining runs on Warped Tour, Ozzfest and Taste of Chaos. And they've shared stages with the likes of Iron Maiden, Heaven And Hell, Slipknot, Unearth and Lamb Of God to name but a few. These accomplishments have undoubtedly earned the band a prominent place among metal's elite, and have garnered the group more than one million album sales during their ten year career, and that's in the US alone. On the eve of the album's release Joe Matera spoke to one half of As I Lay Dying's dual axe attack, Nick Hipa to discuss the new album, touring and the group's Christian faith. UG: The Powerless Rise is the group's fifth studio album to date and three years since its last studio album, 2007's An Ocean Between Us. With the longer time frame between releases this time, did it make the band approach the songwriting differently than it did with previous efforts? Nick Hipa: The reason why it took longer than usual is that we toured a lot more extensively behind our last record. We went to some smaller places in Asia, and we went to further places than usual like East European countries. We just expanded the parts of the world that we normally toured previously and in doing that, there was a lot more touring involved. So we toured for about three years off that record and we got to a stage where we weren't burnt out, we really needed a bit of a rest as we were at a point where it could have hurt us to keep on touring as we wouldn't have anything new to offer. So we needed to take a break and that in turn gave us a lot of time to relax and deal a lot more in being thorough with our songwriting and recording. Did the time factor also prove to be prolific when it came to writing material for the album? We wrote something like 30 songs between us for this record. But it was the stronger songs, which we felt were the best, were the ones we actually recorded for album. There is one song though that we kept off the album that we are going to use as either a B-side or possibly put it out in a movie. And that is the first time where we've ever had an extra song for an album as usually we tend to spend all our time on working on the actual songs that are going to make it onto the album.

"We'd tried to make it as well rounded and dynamic as we could."

Did it also allow you to get more experimental in the studio than previously? Yeah I would say this is the most experimental we've ever been on any album. And I don't mean like we're turning into some arty band or anything. But we did spend a lot more time working on different textures and layers, such as different harmonies and what we could add to a song that wouldn't distract from listening to an actual chord or structure. We'd tried to make it as well rounded and dynamic as we could. Though The Powerless Rise was again produced by Adam Dutkiewicz, prior to him coming onboard again, you actually had approached ten other producers first? Yeah, it was something we did out of a suggestion from our management and label as they believed there are a lot of people out that that have something else to offer and who have a pretty good track record. They just wanted us to talk to them and hear their perspective as to what they could do with the band. But from the get go, most of us knew we wanted to have Adam again but we didn't think it would hurt at all to hear someone else out first. Let's discuss the gear you used on the new album starting with guitars. For the rhythm tracking I used a Gibson Les Paul Studio which was also used on an overwhelming majority of the other albums as well. For all the lead overdubs I used an Ibanez Destroyer and Ibanez Artist both of which were custom made for me. And what about, amps? Amp wise, we got our rhythm tones with a Peavey 6505+ and that head actually beat out almost every other head you can think of. We tried all sorts of different heads for the rhythms such as a Randall head, a Diezel, a Engl, some Kranks, Mesa-Boogies, we tried them all, but the Peavey won out. It was the biggest shootout ever. And for the leads and stuff, we used a Soldano SLO-100. When it comes to guitar solos do you normally pre-plan them in advance or prefer to go with spontaneity in the studio? For the most part we try to be as prepared as we can be before we go into the studio. By the time we have recorded the songs professionally, we have already recorded it once in pre-production and we have already jammed it for weeks on end. So we know exactly what it is that we want to play as far as the foundation of the songs go. With all the members of As I Lay Dying being Christian, do you find it an obstacle when it comes to touring with other bands, particularly those with a heavy anti-Christian sentiment such as Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse? We've never had a problem with any of that and I think it because we have respect for other people's difference of opinions. If we show them a courtesy to let them do what they want, and don't get me wrong we do all have our set of morals and values, but with bands such as Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse we always got along great. And that was because what we both did was talk about things we did have in common and focused on those and not really bring up our differences of opinion. We felt could just respect that we feel differently about different things and not try to change anybody else. It is important understand that not everybody is going to feel exactly as you do and so you need to respect that. And if can recognize that underneath all of that, we are all the same then we can all get along better at the end of the day. What about when someone does attempt to attack you verbally for what you believe in? If someone was criticizing us or me, I won't really go out of my way to change their opinion. If someone wants to accuse me of not being an awesome Christian, then they've already got their minds made up so I don't have any care to change that. It is unfortunate if anybody does have a bias, but if they do, then that's on them. It is something I won't concern myself with. You just have to be positive so I will focus on that instead. Aside from As I Lay Dying, have you got any other projects you're keen to work on? I am writing songs on my own right now. And a while ago I was working on some other stuff but its nothing I want to talk too much about at this moment because I haven't got anything to show for it as yet. I would rather be about it than talk about it. I also know Phil has a couple bands in the works as well.

"It is important understand that not everybody is going to feel exactly as you do and so you need to respect that."

If I was to ask you what is one thing fans would not know about you or the band what would your answer be? That is a really interesting question. My interest aside from this band includes being a big surfing fan. It is all I do when I am at home. I follow professional surfing and check out all the surf sites. So that is my favorite hobby. Collectively, amongst the band, we are all huge Lost [television series] enthusiasts. We will find an internet somewhere wherever we are on the road and will download episodes because we are so obsessed in watching it. We will watch the episodes and then spend the next day talking about it and theorizing about it all. When the group is on the road what recreational activities do you do to pass away the endless hours on the tour bus? It depends on what kind of tour it is. If we're in the States and on a bus, it is usually productive as Phil and I will always have a guitar with us on the bus and we will riff out and will also write songs for other things that we may have going on at the same time. I also enjoy reading. The other 50 percent of the time is time that is lost and I have no idea where it goes. It is like being in a room with your friends with nothing to in those moments. How important do you think is touring these days for a band like As I Lay Dying with the way the whole internet and downloading issue has affected the industry in general? Selective touring is the name of the game now so it is not about how much touring but about when you do tours, to do more thorough tours. Do every country and every big city and do them as well as you can so you don't have to keep on going through them as often. The cost of touring has gone up immensely because of fuel costs and because everyone has increased their fees for everything from airlines to backline companies. So it is much more expensive to tour today. And for us, because Tim has a family now and Phil is married, we don't want to go out longer than we need to. On the flipside though, touring has been how we've been able to do this band since the early days, by touring as hard as we have in the past. It is what we have to do to make our living from this. Interview by Joe Matera Ultimate-Guitar.Com 2010

135 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    August_Burns
    6metal6pirate6 wrote: they would be an awesome band... if they werent christian You'd be an awesome metalhead.... If you didnt listen to A7X
    Xomar
    great interview, i love As I Lay Dying. Seems like he needs to stand up for his faith more though, but it's good he doesn't try to brow-beat people with a Bible. I'm so proud of bands like this that know what it's really all about.
    GaryS
    millarso wrote: It's hard to explain, but as a Christian, I just have a good feelingabout what I believe in. I'm sure that doesn't mean anything to you, but at least you can respect me for sticking to my guns I hope. Christianity is only harmful in the wrong hands.
    Is a "goodfeeling" really what you should be basing your views on religion on? And the reason it is harmful is because of the hateful scripture, but don't get me wrong, it isn't just Christianity that is guilty of this, Judaism and Islam are both equally hateful. Just google something along the lines of "sexist, racist, homophobic quotes from the bible" and the same for the other major religions I mentioned.
    Rampancy
    kellen.dobmeier wrote: Do any of you realize that the term "satanic" doesn't necessarily mean anti-Christian. Lyrics depicting excessive violence or non-moral beliefs are also called satanic or anti-Christian. Therefore Cannibal Corpse is very ant-Christian.
    Talk about a martyr complex ... Christianity =/= All encompassing moral framework The only reason christians always seem to get offended by music is because of a couple retarded parents, to whom Christianity appeals (the whole control aspect). I know loads of Christians who are kick ass people. My mum is a proud catholic who raised me to believe in what I want to, not what other people want to. Now stop promoting a false and annoying stereotype of Christianity, I know that they're mostly good, laid-back people.
    priestfan76
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: Not so much an AILD fan, more of an Austrian Death Machine fan! That makes their lead singer a cool christian, like Dave Mustaine.
    Dave Mustaine is as cool as he is modest. But I do gotta give the guys in As I Lay Dying credit, i have no problems with people believing in God, as long as they don't explicitly go out there and say "Hail Jesus Christ our Lord and savior...NOW LET ME SEE SOME BROKEN FACES IN THAT PIT!!" Plus, Tim Made Austrian Death Machine. That makes him awesome on that alone.
    jkubed
    Amazing band, can't wait to hear their new stuff. One of the best Christian metal bands and guitarist I have heard. BTW, if they're not a Christian band, look at the lyric book for An Ocean Between Us (Only album I have) why else would "He" be capitalized while nothing else is? Before some idiots come joking... they are not gay.
    millarso
    I have just now realized that I haven't said anything about the music yet. In my opinion, this album is going to better than previous material. Listening to samples, it sounds to me like its going to have all the energy but there's going to be more focus on the vocal side.
    redcthulhu
    draco thatus wrote: blackborrego wrote: spelledwrong214 wrote: Since when has Cannibal Corpse been an anti-Christian band? are you serious? their music is about gore, zombies, and just general violence, not about being against Christianity. in 1985 Dee Snider told the PMRC that the only reason why people find what they do in music is because they are looking for it. This can be said about Cannibal Corpse being anti-christian, the only reason why you would think that is that you want to interpret their lyrics in such a way. The individual members may be atheists or not care for Christianity, but that does not show in their lyrics which to reiterate are filled primarily with mutilation. tl;dr Cannibal Corpse is less anti-Christian and more anti people having flesh.
    Well, Corpsegrinder's side project, Paths of Possession, is another story entirely. Bring Me the Head of Christ, anyone?
    mosher117
    tom araya is catholic but slayer is most certainly not a christian band...
    ...Or a good band either. New AILD album sounds ace, sounds more deathcore-ish than previous efforts. One thing the article kinda screwed even though i'm not as much of a fan of CC as I used to be, the interviewer asked whats it like touring with anti-christian bands like Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse. Behemoth are anti-christian however CC are not there lyrics arnt even remotely anti-christian there just gorey but yeah didnt even relise AILD was out this soon will need to order it like now!
    millarso
    I know you aren't going to agree with me probably, so how's about we just stop debating over a guitar website and just listen to the music.
    bigdan30
    GaryS wrote: millarso wrote: I really don't want to start some argument, and I'm not trying to force anything down you're throat, man. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are far from hateful if you follow them the right way. So much of what you look up on Google isn't even remotely taken in the right context. Trust me, we aren't all psychopaths who use our beliefs to say hateful things and to commit ridiculous crimes. Here is a quote from the Quran Bukhari:V4B52N137 - "The Prophet said, 'Let the negro slave of Dinar perish. And if he is pierced with a thorn, let him not find anyone to take it out for him.... If he [the black slave] asks for anything it shall not be granted, and if he needs intercession [to get into paradise], his intercession will be denied.'" You can't really say that passages like these are just being followed wrongly or taken out of context, also, I don't think all religious people are psychopaths, nor do I think you are a psychopath, but a huge majority of followers have no idea what they are following.
    Okay, so scratch Islam...
    GaryS
    bigdan30 wrote: The concept of faith is believing in something and not questioning it, eh? How about the Big Bang? I guess it's pure fact that something just appeared out of absolutely nothing, than it exploded into a huge universe, and then life magically appeared, and one little cell survived the harshest conditions of planet formation, then it evolved from the one little cell into the entire spectrum of species we have now. Tell me how you can believe this theory without having faith. Lookin forward to the album release.
    Do you really think that the big bang theory was just thought up one day and people worldwide just started blindly following it? No, theories are questioned everyday by scientists, thats the beauty of science, the persuit of truth, not trying to desperately fill a void by placing the word "God" inside it. If you want to believe that the world was created in 7 days, 7000 years ago, at least have knowledge of other, more substantial theories. I suggest you look up "Zeitgeist" or "The root of all evil?".
    MinterMan22
    GaryS wrote: bigdan30 wrote: The concept of faith is believing in something and not questioning it, eh? How about the Big Bang? I guess it's pure fact that something just appeared out of absolutely nothing, than it exploded into a huge universe, and then life magically appeared, and one little cell survived the harshest conditions of planet formation, then it evolved from the one little cell into the entire spectrum of species we have now. Tell me how you can believe this theory without having faith. Lookin forward to the album release. Do you really think that the big bang theory was just thought up one day and people worldwide just started blindly following it? No, theories are questioned everyday by scientists, thats the beauty of science, the persuit of truth, not trying to desperately fill a void by placing the word "God" inside it. If you want to believe that the world was created in 7 days, 7000 years ago, at least have knowledge of other, more substantial theories. I suggest you look up "Zeitgeist" or "The root of all evil?".
    And what if they choose to believe rather than just "blindly follow" You don't think religious people don't question either? They're in the pursuit of truth too, or else they wouldn't care. Ill leave you with a quote from a well respected pastor.. "The Bible has been used for centuries by Christians as a weapon of control. To read it literally is to believe in a three-tiered universe, to condone slavery, to treat women as inferior creatures, to believe that sickness is caused by Gods punishment and that mental disease and epilepsy are caused by demonic possession. When someone tells me that they believe the Bible is the literal and inerrant word of God, I always ask, Have you ever read it?" Personally I think the bible is 90% BS but I still value some stuff in it. I do believe in Jesus and such but that doesn't mean I don't have some questions in mind.
    GaryS
    millarso wrote: I really don't want to start some argument, and I'm not trying to force anything down you're throat, man. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are far from hateful if you follow them the right way. So much of what you look up on Google isn't even remotely taken in the right context. Trust me, we aren't all psychopaths who use our beliefs to say hateful things and to commit ridiculous crimes.
    Here is a quote from the Quran Bukhari:V4B52N137 - "The Prophet said, 'Let the negro slave of Dinar perish. And if he is pierced with a thorn, let him not find anyone to take it out for him.... If he [the black slave] asks for anything it shall not be granted, and if he needs intercession [to get into paradise], his intercession will be denied.'" You can't really say that passages like these are just being followed wrongly or taken out of context, also, I don't think all religious people are psychopaths, nor do I think you are a psychopath, but a huge majority of followers have no idea what they are following.
    millarso
    Masterbeefy wrote: millarso wrote: Honestly, these guys are mostly considered Christian because they are Christian obviously, but their music generally has a good message even though its not overtly Christian. In that sense, Christians listen to As I Lay Dying more than secular metalcore bands because they know that there isn't going be Satanic or controversial undertones or meanings. Dude I preach at my church and I listen to Cradle Of Filth xD Music is a great way to get a message out though. I write loads of very christian songs, but when I am writing my hardcore stuff, the christian message I send out is more about the morals that I see and live by. As I Lay Dying do it very well I think.
    Ha, no worries, I listen to plenty of secular stuff too, but I know there are plenty of Christians who don't feel right about certain metal band's message and I think that can be justified. To each his own.
    GaryS wrote: I don't understand what is so great about having "faith", the concept of faith is believing in something and not questioning it. What is so good about a group of people blindly following an ideology, especially when it's a harmful one.
    It's hard to explain, but as a Christian, I just have a good feelingabout what I believe in. I'm sure that doesn't mean anything to you, but at least you can respect me for sticking to my guns I hope. Christianity is only harmful in the wrong hands.
    bigdan30
    GaryS wrote: Dave Mustaine is a Christian, and he once refused to play with an anti-Christian band. It was pretty admirable of him to stick up for his faith like that. I don't understand what is so great about having "faith", the concept of faith is believing in something and not questioning it. What is so good about a group of people blindly following an ideology, especially when it's a harmful one.
    The concept of faith is believing in something and not questioning it, eh? How about the Big Bang? I guess it's pure fact that something just appeared out of absolutely nothing, than it exploded into a huge universe, and then life magically appeared, and one little cell survived the harshest conditions of planet formation, then it evolved from the one little cell into the entire spectrum of species we have now. Tell me how you can believe this theory without having faith. Lookin forward to the album release.
    millarso
    GaryS wrote: Is a "goodfeeling" really what you should be basing your views on religion on? And the reason it is harmful is because of the hateful scripture, but don't get me wrong, it isn't just Christianity that is guilty of this, Judaism and Islam are both equally hateful. Just google something along the lines of "sexist, racist, homophobic quotes from the bible" and the same for the other major religions I mentioned.
    I really don't want to start some argument, and I'm not trying to force anything down you're throat, man. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are far from hateful if you follow them the right way. So much of what you look up on Google isn't even remotely taken in the right context. Trust me, we aren't all psychopaths who use our beliefs to say hateful things and to commit ridiculous crimes.
    musicman789
    how the **** did religion even come up in the comments??? that was such a small part of the interview and everyone just jumps on the chance to pimp christianity
    Hookakid
    Why does their religion have ANY matter in what music they make? Seriously what's wrong with such whiny kids these days, at the end of the day, it's down to how good they are as artists, not how good they are at their friggin' religion. Stop crying and just listen to the music :]
    182below0
    MeltMyFaceOff wrote: PsYkO_kiLLa90 wrote: Kewpa wrote: skilletfan17 wrote: a lot of stuff Dave Mustaine is a Christian, and he once refused to play with an anti-Christian band. It was pretty admirable of him to stick up for his faith like that. Excellent post, by the way. that band was rotting christ, and it was ****ing bullshit. because theyre anti-christian he wont tour with them? they were just gonna play music together. who is he to say that one band with a set of beliefs isnt privileged enough to play with another? people that act this way arent admirable, theyre arrogant ****s. your religious beliefs dont make you better than someone with a differing opinion. Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Mustaine isn't admirable for something like that, he's ignorant and arrogant.
    No, he's a guy who doesn't like the message another band has and doesn't want to be associated with them. I don't see how that's "ignorant" or "arrogant." It's actually pretty impressive that he believes something so strongly he's willing to stand up for it like that. And with a name like "Rotting Christ," I think he's entirely justified.
    salsawords
    ^Not that the name Rotting Christ has anything to do with his decision... I used to be a big AILD fan but An Ocean Between Us was boring to me. Maybe this album will have some more variety.
    xXChimairaXx
    Best album yet? Coming from a guy who said AILD was a "veteran" metal band, im iffy. It must be good. An Ocean Between Us was a freaking amazing album. They came out of that adolescent metalcore sound and stepped up a bit, although the old songs are classics. AILD is one of the best bands i've seen live. Spot on sound.
    MetalNick
    Dave Mustaine is a Christian, and he once refused to play with an anti-Christian band. It was pretty admirable of him to stick up for his faith like that.
    Actually, Rotting Christ never really wrote that many songs that were anti-Christian, unless one would interpret songs about other Gods as anti-Christian, rather than blasphemy. Not much of a fan, but they are a good live band. Not to mention, I think it's more admirable they don't let whatever they believe get in the way of their music, as a band at least.
    bookemjoey
    As a christian myself I completely agree with what you have said here. I find it the most accurate reasoning of all on this page. I do love A.I.L.P God bless you all. I dont mean to push anything on anyone but I believe it isn't bad to express your opinion mine is that Jesus Christ is our one and only savior. But at the same time I condem no one for there unbelief or different beliefs. And I know not many true christians practice that as we are told to love our neighbors as ourselves.
    millarso wrote: Honestly, these guys are mostly considered Christian because they are Christian obviously, but their music generally has a good message even though its not overtly Christian. In that sense, Christians listen to As I Lay Dying more than secular metalcore bands because they know that there isn't going be Satanic or controversial undertones or meanings.
    GaryS
    Dave Mustaine is a Christian, and he once refused to play with an anti-Christian band. It was pretty admirable of him to stick up for his faith like that.
    I don't understand what is so great about having "faith", the concept of faith is believing in something and not questioning it. What is so good about a group of people blindly following an ideology, especially when it's a harmful one.
    DangerousGames
    6metal6pirate6 wrote: they would be an awesome band... if they werent christian You'd be an awesome metalhead.... If you didnt listen to A7X
    best comeback i've seen in a long time
    bleumurle
    dementiacaptain wrote: yup. Unless it is brought up in lyrical content, religion holds no relevance to music or how you view a musician. their lyrics arnt religious, yet people always refer to them as a christian band or connect them with that instantaneously. tom araya is catholic but slayer is most certainly not a christian band.
    Yes it does, I mean, I'm not religious at all. But music is expression of the person, and if the person is religious, it will definitely come forth.
    SkepsisMetal
    In all honesty, theres about as much need for Xians to 'stand up for their faith' as there is for Atheists to stand up for their values. If someone is directly attacking you or your belief, whatever it may be, then you have all rights to defend where you see fit. But until then, just leave it all on a level playing field. Plenty of my friends and family are religious, and like Nick said of the 'anti christian bands' just stick to talking about what you have in common; there is no need to raise opposing points of view for the sake of arguments. If I was ever put in something similar to Mustaine's shoes, I would leave all values aside. It does not and would not bother me if someone was the complete opposite of my mindset in terms of belief; the tour is about the music. If two of my favourite bands were going to tour together, but then one pulled out because of that petty dispute, I would flip a fu cking shi t. AILD make damn good music, and they stick to that without giving in to pressures, and they don't use the lyrics as a fundamentalist's excuse to either blatently or subliminally throw their religion into our face.
    Masterbeefy
    millarso wrote: Honestly, these guys are mostly considered Christian because they are Christian obviously, but their music generally has a good message even though its not overtly Christian. In that sense, Christians listen to As I Lay Dying more than secular metalcore bands because they know that there isn't going be Satanic or controversial undertones or meanings.
    Dude I preach at my church and I listen to Cradle Of Filth xD Music is a great way to get a message out though. I write loads of very christian songs, but when I am writing my hardcore stuff, the christian message I send out is more about the morals that I see and live by. As I Lay Dying do it very well I think.
    claux23
    The group's "Christian faith"? You MUST be joking. That's no different than a faith in Zeus or Jupiter.
    synestershadows
    I don't care what religion this band is. All that matters is that they are extremely generic and boring.
    STABxYOU
    tomsawyer67 wrote: i love a7x but i also love as i lay dying, august burns red, bless the fall, the devil wears prada, and haste the day. check em out theyr awesome. or u could live in a box.
    I'll take my box thanks, it keeps the shitty mallmetal out.
    GaryS
    Well if you can ever be bothered, I would be interested in your points.
    skilletfan17
    MeltMyFaceoff said, "Yeah but do you really think that the people in As I Lay Dying are "friends" with Cannibal Corpse? In my experience I've found arguing about religion is completely useless. Nobody knows who really is correct and there is no proof that says anyone is correct. Everyone should respect each other's beliefs, but don't try and force them on others. You aren't doing any good. People usually get to a point where they are pretty set in stone about their what they believe and someone's words aren't going to change that. You're also implying that people who aren't Christian aren't as well off. What if a band full of Muslims was touring with As I Lay Dying? Do you think Nick should still try and convince them that Christianity is the way to go? I , myself, am an Atheist, but who's to say that Islam isn't the "correct" religion/belief? And when it comes to As I Lay Dying, I have great respect for them as people and I owe them some gratitude due to the fact that they are one of the bands that got me into playing guitar. Best of luck to them." You're defeating yourself in what you are saying...Christianity is the biggest religion of all time so Im pretty sure it's not "useless", you can see the results. AILD is probably friends with Cannibal Corpse, they play like music together. Of course there's no 100% proof of religion, but it's a debate of who has more evidence that is more likely. I can't prove love or kindness exists, yet you and I both believe they do. So you're telling me I can't force my beliefs on someone else? Guess what, you just "forced your belief on me" in moral relativistic terms. Relativism is a joke. It's not possible for me to force beliefs down anyone's throat. Yeah, you're right, *laughs* I am saying they're not as well off. If 2+2=4, 2+3=4 is an untrue statement...only one can be right. My view is not disrepectful or offensive, it's truthful. What I'm saying is I THINK I have the evidence on my side to appropriately say that I am right, and you are not. Im not giong to suppress someone's rights of free speech, let all come to me and tell me why they think they're right and I'm wrong and I'll be glad to hear that....why should that be a bad thing? Ignorant and biased people are afraid of talking about the hard topics such as religion--Do your research, find out both sides of the story, come to a conclusion, debate with others to see who's argument is the most sound. I'm not being rude to you, I'm just opening another train of thought that you might haven't heard before. I agree man, good band, and good guys, best wishes.
    skilletfan17
    if anyone has apologetic (defense of one's faith) questions, I would be more than happy to answer/politely and civilly discuss with you ,whether you're Christian, atheist, or Cosmic Humanist, Postmodernist, whatever.
    millarso
    GaryS wrote: millarso wrote: You can push me around all you want if that's how you get your jollies off. Stop being so pretentious and smug though. At no point did I ever claim that it was bad to debate such things, in fact, I find it healthy, but the comments section of an interview is hardly the place. Besides, I would never want to have an argument with a man as self-contented as you because no matter what I say, you are always automatically going to think that you're better than me. To have a truly good debate with someone, you must approach with respect. So I think I speak for everyone when I say take your stodgy attitude somewhere else. I'm sorry if I seem pretentious but I assumed that this topic was "out of your depth" because of your un-willingness to debate you beliefs, which makes me think you dont really know much about the topic, added onto that, the fact you said "I just have a good feelingabout what I believe in". Not the strongest argument. Also, you said you find it healthy to discuss things yet you told me to "just let it go"...
    To be honest, I just don't really feel like debating about the universe on UG. I get enough of that at my school. I said pretentious because you decided to assume I don't know much about the universe when in all reality I am a qualified engineering student who actually has many informed scientific opinions on the universe and how it was created. Saying I had a "good feeling" may have been a little vague. When I say feeling, I should add that I have a system of carefully studied and thought of points that I believe could only be attributable to a higher power than science, and those points are what give me that feeling or opinion.
    emr_steelmech
    GaryS wrote: Dave Mustaine is a Christian, and he once refused to play with an anti-Christian band. It was pretty admirable of him to stick up for his faith like that. I don't understand what is so great about having "faith", the concept of faith is believing in something and not questioning it. What is so good about a group of people blindly following an ideology, especially when it's a harmful one.
    Your definition of faith is a bit off. Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we believe. That doesn't mean don't question anything, that means I've asked the questions and believe the answer to be Jesus. Also the Bible must be taken in the context of when it was written, and often that context differs from our society. The same is true of anything, for example you don't watch a Sci-fi movie in the context of a documentary. I've been waiting too long for an AILD album, and this should do nicely Can't wait! Also Lost ftw.
    GaryS
    millarso wrote: You can push me around all you want if that's how you get your jollies off. Stop being so pretentious and smug though. At no point did I ever claim that it was bad to debate such things, in fact, I find it healthy, but the comments section of an interview is hardly the place. Besides, I would never want to have an argument with a man as self-contented as you because no matter what I say, you are always automatically going to think that you're better than me. To have a truly good debate with someone, you must approach with respect. So I think I speak for everyone when I say take your stodgy attitude somewhere else.
    I'm sorry if I seem pretentious but I assumed that this topic was "out of your depth" because of your un-willingness to debate you beliefs, which makes me think you dont really know much about the topic, added onto that, the fact you said "I just have a good feelingabout what I believe in". Not the strongest argument. Also, you said you find it healthy to discuss things yet you told me to "just let it go"...
    millarso
    Well I could say that from a thermodynamic perspective that I am fairly sure that the universe did actually start with a big bang-like event and that the universe as we know it is very, very old. On the other hand, I don't believe that all the energy contained in our universe could have started at some point by a natural event. A higher power (God) is the most probable option to me. As for Christianity being harmful, true Christians are anything but harmful. There are many who feign the name of Christian, but the real core of Christianity is all about doing good to those around us and bringing hope to those who have none. That being said, mankind is capable of some pretty messed up things so Christianity ends up getting twisted on a normal basis towards greedy needs. In summary, I don't believe in things without substantial reason, but God has evidenced himself in some pretty real ways that don't make sense from a scientific standpoint so my logical conclusion is to say that science is not all-encompassing.
    Monobe
    Ok, I alrdy no this is guna b long but I have a 12-pack of root beer at my side so bear w me. 1st of all, a veteran in music is like a veteran in war. They've only been hir 10 yrs, they're still in the same was wen they enlisted so thay can't be veterans. They're more like war heroes in that they've dun as much in they're short time as the real veterans have ovr a longr spread. Its like a 60 year old vet killd 500 guys in WWII, the gulf war, n 'nam put 2gether but a 35 year old hero may have contributed a massive part in savin 5,000 lives in desert storm. Get the analogy? Good, on 2 the more touchy subject. If a band talks bout zombies n bull like that, in my eyes that's pretty damn close 2 anti-christian, since zombies r undead which pretty much makes them demonic n demonism is anti-christian. Yes, I am southern baptist(a christian, usually of the slightly more glutonous variety). As far as these guys not pushin their beliefs, no they shouldn't get in a fist fight ovr their thoughts but as christians they should want 2 evangelize 2 friends (I'm guilty of it 2 so I no I'm by no means any bttr, nor am I implying that I am), and yes I believe the can be n r friends w CC. I have friends that r atheist n satanic, hell, my mom n aunt r christians n they smoke weed n so did my step-dad, who got my mom saved. We all listen 2 secular bands 1,000 times more than christian. We evn listen 2 Tool n they're def not christians. My pastor went 2 c bon jovi w me the othr day in dallas. Anyway, evn tho a lot of the christian muic on the radio sux ass, if u go lookn 4 it, u can still find excellent christian music on the internet, at stores, lotsa ways. N jus cuz a band has a name like rotting christ, don't mean they're aint-christian. Demon Hunter is a christian band, not jus christians in a band. Then there's secular bands like metallica w creeping death (about moses), the four horsemen (self explainatory if u no revelation), or leper messiah (also pretty much self explainatory). Which brings me 2 the gr8 Dave Mustaine. 4 all the idiots out there, yes, he was in Metallica b4 he founded Megadeth (the correct spelling, if u look at ur album covers...) Anyway, jus cuz he didn't want 2 play w RC 4 w/e reason, whether it b beleifs, lyrics, or that he jus don't like a certain member of the band, its his decision (not urs) n doesn't mean he don't think they're priveledged enuf 2 jam w him. Maybe he jus didn't like the song they wantd him 2 play or maybe he was freakin sick that day. Idk, cuz this is the 1st I evr heard bout that story, so most of that is jus wasted space. But, any1 willin 2 leave they're values aside jus 2 play music they don't condone most likey don't have values worth keepin. I'm sure if uve read this far ur pretty damn close 2 bein bored 2 tears so I'll finish w this last lil bit. HOW in the HELL is christianity HARMFUL?????!!!!! If its any1 its the muslims. They got kamikasees (pretty sure that's spelld wrong) that think if they level a city usin a bomb strappd 2 their waste, about 20 second l8r, they'll b surrounded by 72 virgins. Ima laugh my ass off from the pearly gates if theyr all fat, ugly, gay or a combination. Now, idk bout islam but christianity is, the way I see it, in no way harmful at all. We r meant 2 love our neighbor, not blow him up. We're not sposta lie, steal, kill, or disobey our parents (don't u wish ur kid was a christian now?). N if our views r wrong, wats the worst we did? Waste our lives helpn ppl? If there weren't ppl like this, where would u be? Think about it...band rocks, can't w8 2 hear their new shit
    skybucket
    GaryS wrote: clincher09 wrote: 1. This isn't the religion thread bro 2. It's not "harmful", I can't believe people actually agree with this bs argument. Seriously, if you want to try to bring up a religious debate there is a thread for that in the forums. Explain to me your argument, why is religion not harmful? And i'm aware this isn't the religion thread but the title of this interview is to do with religion and people posted comments regarding the issue, i responded with my views.Their is nothing wrong with a discussion of ideas.
    Religion in itself is pure and harmless, and even a good thing. But what people do in the name of religion is what makes it harmful. The Crusades are a prime example. Religion is the scapegoat for evil.
    Monobe
    emr_steelmech wrote: "A lot of innocent UG-ers could die if that wall of text fell over." Also to be fair, most Muslims are pacifists, only radical extremists have those views.
    lol i read this 3 times n laughed evry time. ur right, i have a couple muslim aquaintances n they seem pretty down 2 earth. i mostly said that 2 make my point, but i should have specified further
    Rice.rehberg
    oh and ill have you know ive never heard a single metalcore band worth their salt say something like "aethiests are stupid now go to church" everytime i see a metalcore band they say "we just want everyone hear to know that no matter who you are or where your at in your life christ will welcome you and if you need to talk to us about anything just come find us after our set"
    Rice.rehberg
    Echoplex wrote: draco thatus wrote: blackborrego wrote: spelledwrong214 wrote: Since when has Cannibal Corpse been an anti-Christian band? are you serious? their music is about gore, zombies, and just general violence, not about being against Christianity. in 1985 Dee Snider told the PMRC that the only reason why people find what they do in music is because they are looking for it. This can be said about Cannibal Corpse being anti-christian, the only reason why you would think that is that you want to interpret their lyrics in such a way. The individual members may be atheists or not care for Christianity, but that does not show in their lyrics which to reiterate are filled primarily with mutilation. tl;dr Cannibal Corpse is less anti-Christian and more anti people having flesh.Yeah, I agree with this. Behemoth, on the other hand, seems like they might be ever-so-slightly anti-Christian with song titles such as "Antichristian phenomenon" and "Christians to the Lions." I like that the guy in the interview was humble and down to earth, unlike a lot metalcore fans.
    unlike alot of metalcore fans? whats that supposed to mean? alot of metalcore fans are down to earth, i dont see where you draw the conclusion that metalcore fans have to be super egotistic oh and to those who take issue with calling AILD veterans as far as im concerned you get a grammy nomination, you can call yourself a veteran, 10 years is a long time nowadays
    millarso
    Monobe wrote: Ok, I alrdy no this is guna b long but I have a 12-pack of root beer at my side so bear w me...
    Yeah... about that... that might have been a wee bit too long... probably should've kept it to a 6-pack