Avenged Sevenfold: 'You'll Be Killing Zombies While You Hear That Song'

M. Shadows spoke about the awards and what it meant to be recognized by peers and how life with new drummer Arin Ilejay is working out.

Avenged Sevenfold: 'You'll Be Killing Zombies While You Hear That Song'
0
Being the singer in a successful band has its perks. M. Shadows is a mad game player and when he had a chance to spend time with Treyarch, the company that makes the Call Of Duty: Black Ops games, he jumped on it. He was introduced to Treyarch as a fan and recently Avenged Sevenfold cemented that relationship by writing a new and original song for the Zombies series. "Not Ready To Die" was written specifically for the new map and is according to Shadows "More soundtrackish than a typical Avenged Sevenfold song." If you can find the song in the gameprompted by a woman's voice saying "Sounds like music to kill zombies to,"the song's eerie pipe organ intro swells in the background and to the accompaniment of Avenged Sevenfold, you can now destroy, pulverize, and wipe the world clean of the walking undead. M. Shadows is really proud of the new track and he took time recently to talk about it. Shadows and his bandmates also swept the April 21st Revolver Golden God Awards by taking home four trophies for Best Album, Best Vocalist, Best Drummer, and Best Guitarists. We spoke to the singer about the awards and what it meant to be recognized by peers and how life with new drummer Arin Ilejay is working out. UG: Avenged Sevenfold have an unreleased song for the new Call of the Dead: Black Ops Zombies game? M. Shadows: We recorded a brand new song that comes out May 3 and it's called Not Ready To Die and no one's heard it yet and we wrote it specifically for Zombies. The song is a new thread in the map so if you find the song, you play to that song. So you're gonna be killing Zombies while you hear that song. What we worked on with the new song, Not Ready To Die as a Zombies map is just scary as shit. You get in there and you have all these zombies that are trying to kill you and it's actually freaky if you're playing it at night by yourself; it's a scary game. I love it; I think it's fun and it's great. Can you describe the song a bit? It's a mixture of what we grew up listening to music-wise when we were playing video games like Transylvania-ish/devil-is meets Avenged Sevenfold. We wrote it a little more storytelling but we feel that our kids and our fansI don't wanna call em kinds because they're not all kidsare gonna enjoy it as well as being able to work in the game. So I think it does a little of both and it's pretty cool.

"We're really looking forward to getting into the studio with Arin Ilejay."

Can you talk a little bit about how you first got involved with Activision? My relationship with Activision goes way back from doing Guitar Hero-type stuff. But I think this whole thing with Call of Duty started with a relationship I had with Treyarch; the company that makes Call of Duty and the Black Ops series. So, yeah, I was a huge fan of that franchise so I got an introduction from a couple different people and I was such a fan of it that I emailed the president of Treyarch and he said, Sure, c'mon on down. I went in there and saw how it was all done and we started talking about, Hey, maybe we should do something in the future and this whole thing came about so that was kinda cool. The first song you did for Call of Duty was Welcome to the Family. How did that happen? We were comin' out with a new record and at that point we didn't actually have a relationship with Treyarch. Black Ops was done and it was coming out and there was a company called Machinima that is like the biggest video gaming website where they make videos and Top 5 Killcams of the Week and they do all these crazy things. And we actually had a relationship with Machinima who were doing promotion for Black Ops and so were like, Hey, why don't we team up and make a video with our new song. At the same time we can promote Black Ops while they promote our song because we're both fans of what we heard of each other. So you were a serious game player? We all played the Modern Warfare series, the World at War series, and then we were gonna get into Black Ops so it felt like a good fit. Not only are we into it but we know a lot of our fans are into it so it was a nice way to introduce the song. So at that point with Welcome to the Family, it was more of a Machinima thing. It was later on that we got to meet the people at Treyarch and actually work on new music for new maps. Welcome to the Family was actually a perfect song to be connected to the Black Ops game because the tag line of the track was You can't win this fight. It had the whole war/killing thing built right in. Totally; it did all fit. It was good for us because we ended up not doing a video for that song. So people kind of put those two things together and still go that video and that montage as like the video from that song, which is cool. So Not Ready to Die is the first song with your new drummer, Arin Ilejay? And you've also been touring with Arin for a while now? He's a shredder; he's awesome. He's been playing all the parts great. I think one thing about this new song is we're really looking forward to getting into the studio with him and seeing how we gel with him and see what he brings to the table as far as writing goes. That was a great experience for us to be able to do that (Not Ready to Die) just so we don't go into the next record completely blind; how he is in the studio. It's been a learning experience for the band? It's the first song that he drums on and he's been killin' it on the roadand he's a really nice guy. He's one of the nicest guys in the world, which is more than we could ever ask for so we're really excited about it. What were you looking for in a drummer to replace The Rev? What we were looking for was someone that was young and someone that was unknown. We wanted to give someone a chance that wasn't completely jaded; we didn't want them to feel it was a job. We wanted him to be a fan of the band and a fan of music and wanting to be out on the road and view this as their dream like all of us. One thing we didn't want was some older session guy or some guy that just saw it as a gigcause it's not a gig, it's like our life. It's what we want to do for a long time. So basically we wanted a nice, young person that could obviously have the chops to play everything that's been laid down before but also we wanted them to be able to have their own style. It's gonna take years for our fans and for people to understand what Arin's style is and we're still figuring it out ourselves. But he needed to have his own style and be his own drummer but at the same time be able to play everything (Mike) Portnoy and The Rev laid down. So far he's got two of those down and now we need to work on bringing out his style and what he can bring to the music.

"What we worked on with the new song, Not Ready To Die as a Zombies map is just scary as sh-t."

Had you heard Arin play in Confide, which was his band? No; I didn't know who he was. We talked to our producerMike Elizondoand we talked to Mike Fasano who was Jimmy's in-studio drum tech and we said, Hey, do you guys have anyone you could suggest? And they both sent somebody down and we went and jammed with em both and they were both great and Arin came in and just killed it. That was the first time I'd ever heard of him or seen him or met him and he came in and he was super skinny and small and he hits the drums like a beast. And it was like, Whoa. We were all kind of smiling like, Wow, this kid's got every chop down. Not only has he played everything right but he's also transcribed everything right. Which is good to us because you have to have an earyou have to be able to hear what people are doing. He played everything Portnoy and Jimmy were playing to a tee. And we were like, Wow. So we had a couple more sessions with him and he was just the perfect fit right off the bathe just really blew us away and impressed us. You must have been blown away by winning the recent Revolver Golden God Award for the Rockstar Energy Best Vocalist. It was amazing. I'm not a big guy on awards but I was up there with Bruce Dickinson and Corey Taylor and I said, C'mon! We know that Bruce is a fucking legend and Corey is still a legend-in-training (laughs) and it's one of those things that's very flattering. Do I think I'm the best vocalist? No, absolutely not! But it was nice the fans voted and I'm very grateful for it. It was a really nice momentit was really nice to get it from Sebastian Bach cause that guy to me is one of the greatest singers of all time. He could sing anything and always have loved his voice. And so, it was really nice and it was really humbling and gratifying at the same time. Avenged Sevenfold jammed with Vinnie Paul on Mouth of War. How did that feel? Oh, that was sickthat was the highlight of my fuckin' night. It was probably the highlight of my year. I walked off stage and we were both like high off it. We were like, Yeah, dude. We went straight to shots and drank together all night and me and Vinnie were talking about it and talked about Dime and The Rev. We got off stage and had a fuckin' blast and he's such a great drummer and it gelled really nicely. It was nice to see him up there again just rockin' out to an old Pantera tune. You also jammed with Duff on It's So Easy. It was so cool, manit was just thrown together. We'd been planning on doing it for a long time and he just couldn't make it to a rehearsal at the same time that we could make it to rehearsal. We ended up being on tour and then him playing a show in LA the night before the Revolver Awards, so we never practiced it. We just kept talking to one anotherAre you sure we got this? And Duff was like, Hey, man, I know how to play it; everything will be OK. We're like Fuck, dude, yeah, I'm sure you know how to play it but we're just makin' sure. We can't just walk up there on TV and play a song for the first time and he seemed to think it was gonna be fine and it was. It was awesome; we played it really well and it gelled and we had a good time with it. But I was definitely very scared about that performance over anything else that night. Guns were an influence on Avenged back in the day? Oh, yeah; they were my favorite band growing up. And they probably still arethere are a couple bands that I've really gotten into in the last few years like Pink Floyd and some of the classics. But Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusion I and II are two of my favorite records of all time. Do you have any feelings about the Chinese Democracy record? There are great songs there and Axl is a great singer; he's an amazing singer. It's hard because a lot of times it's that feeling a band gives you when you know they're a band and you know what it's about. And there's so much drama that goes around that camp. I've met Bumblefoot and a couple of the guys in that band and they're great guys and great playersit's just really hard to play in that shadow of what Guns N' Roses was. And I think that kind of takes you away from when you're listening to a record and what it's all about. What made Dark Side of the Moon so great is some of the mystique and where it was coming from and just the authenticity of it. And that's what kinda sucks about the new Guns N' Rosesit's really hard to put your finger on it but it's not the same thing. I think for all of us it would be really nice if they could just get it together and do some stuff but that's probably never gonna happen.

"We're on good terms with Mike Portnoy it just got a little out of hand for a while there with us."

Getting back to the awards show, Mike Portnoy won the Drum Workshop Best Drummer Award, which was presented by Vinnie Paul. Are you still on good terms with Mike? Yeah, we're on good termsit just got a little out of hand for a while there with us. And the way he runs his camp is a little different than we run ours. It couldn't co-exist in that way and I'm really happy for himI'm happy on a bunch of different levels. The Rev wrote those parts, Mike elaborated on them, and the record did really well. To me that's a success all the way around. Mike helped us out in a time of need and he really stuck true to what Jimmy's parts were, which we were really thankful for that. Cause he could have come in there and been like, No, I'm not playing thatwhy don't we do this? So he did exactly what Jimmy had written down and what we wanted him to do and kudos to him for doin' that. Avenged won four Revolver awardsmore than anybody else. It was nice that we got to go in there and basically sweep those awardsit was really cool. And I'm sure Mike appreciates it as well. I didn't get to talk to him afterwards but I know Zack did and they exchanged some nice words. So it was good to see that he won that award. Synyster and Zack won the Epiphone Best Guitarists Awardit must be cool playing with two talented guitar players like those guys. Yeah, they're great and especially Brian's knowledge of music and the stuff he comes up with and he plays; it's really awesome. And Zack is just such a raw playerhe's just all feel and he reminds me of a young James Hetfield where it's rhythm-oriented but it's solid as fuck and it's great. It is great getting to play with them and knowing that I can sing anything to them and they can play it. You know what I mean? Like I can say, Hey, you know, can you play faster here or do this? and Brian can just play it. Most people don't ever get to deal with that and I guess I'm very lucky to be able to write songs with those guys and be able to do that and not have to work on parts really. I can just kinda sing em out and have em go at it. Your fourth award at the Revolver show was for the Affliction Album of the Year for Nightmare. Mike Inez and Jerry Cantrell presented that award. Winning this kind of award must have felt really empowering after the loss of The Rev and going through that kind of horror. Oh, that was great. Those are our peers and they're still idols to usall those people that we went up there with and it's kinda like we still feel like a young band being in that situation. I know there was a lot of other young bands there that are more where we came from like the Warped Tour and late Ozzfest crowd. So it's really great to be up there and be able to hang out and jam with our idols and receive awards and have them have to recognize us in a way. When you're growing up that's all you want is to just be able to hang out in the same room and jam with these guys and talk to them and now we're getting awards and hanging out and drinking with some of our favorite musicians. It's really surreal and great and I think we're taking that evolution of the band very nicely into whatever it's gonna be next. But we're really excited about it and we're still looking forward to it. [Note: Here are M. Shadows' comments upon receiving the award]. "Everyone in this room knows how hard this album was for us to make losing our best friend, The Rev. But we appreciate the Avenged Sevenfold fans for helping us get back up on our feet and putting this album out." Interview by Steven Rosen Ultimate-Guitar.Com 2011

254 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    indyrock91
    beno21 wrote: metalslayer09 wrote: Cause you don't have the talent that these guys do. FamousA wrote: They are successful because they are a bunch of extremely talented musicians. mightymatt61 wrote: I think the fact that you base your ENTIRE opinion of an extremely talented band... Silly fanboys. Granted, you have to be somewhat talented to play in a band, these guys are not extremely talented. Please stop with these ignorant comments. I would rather if every one of those comments read 'I love this band' rather than the 'oh they so talented' garbage. You're turning a band into a ****ing soap drama with all this bullshit. That ain't rock, and it certainly ain't metal. That's some Justin Bieber shit.
    Why do you have to bring that little turd into this thread?
    Flipje
    Marius_08 wrote: The comments of this interview... Mother of God...
    This. It appalls me to see people argue in the way displayed here, what happened to respecting each others' opinion? A lot of you say they do but then proceed to make degrading comments, somewhat hidden in a seemingly objective post. Haters: Hate all you like, but do so with a little respect and dignity, you don't like the band and that's fine. However, don't go ripping on people because they're opinion differs from your own. Fanboys: same goes for you, just the other way around. Also on the topic of A7X being talented or not. Whether or not you like their compositions or find them original, you cannot deny that these guys can play, they're technically sound and have attained a level of skill that takes a lot of work to accomplish, and I call that talent (or just working your nuts off, but that counts too)
    crashnburn771
    I love the comments in this thread. Everybody just can't stop their b****ing and move on can't they. You like them or you don't. Move on. If I had a dollar for every single comment in here chirpin someone else, I'd be the richest person in the world
    beno21
    crisheat9 wrote: Avenged Sevenfold cannot be compared to any other fcking band. The musicians are extremely talented and their music is unique. Anybody to deny this is simple stupid. The new track is amazing and fits perfectly into the whole zombie thing. Can't wait for this fckin PSN service to come back up in order to get the new zombie map pack. Avenged Sevenfold keep fcking rocking while I show off the DEathbat on my back!
    Well, that won't be for another 3 weeks as the map pack is currently Xbox exclusive. And you're an idiot for getting such a dumb tattoo.
    Joschka
    Synyster Gates is what makes the band viable. I dont like the rest of the band, lyrics are mostly shit and drums are shit since Rev died
    randyaintdead82
    ticklemeemo wrote: Vitor_vdp wrote: Andehwuzhere wrote: There music is not generic, Syn has studied theory and guitar techniques. By guitar techniques, you mean hammer-ons, pull-offs and sweeping? And who decides what groups are "worth hating"? Ever heard of Musician's Institute? He studied there. Guess who else studied there? Chris Letchford.
    Chris Letchford is boss. Here A7x fans, I will not shit on you because I'm not a douche, but go listen to Scale the Summit now
    booby50
    COBHC_Erick429 wrote: booby50 wrote: biff022 wrote: I've tried to like this band since I heard "Bat Country"... everything that gets posted on UG I give a chance. Like I've said before on UG, but no one listens... the term "hater" is asinine. I am voicing my opinion in the hopes that UG notices and that others voice the same opinion so my interests have a chance to be covered rather than something I don't like. Saying "you'll never be as successful" or "you don't have the talent these guys do" is just ridiculous and is something an adolescent would say. Get it together and deal with the fact that not everyone agrees with your (poor) taste in music and that these people have the same right to their opinion as you do. And why should UG give a damn about YOUR opinions as opposed to anyone else's? What makes you so special? I think A7X has so many haters because they have gotten immensely popular without really being all that heavy, but they are close to the rock/metal border and that's probably why people get upset. They may be afraid that they will "pollute" metal which I don't think is going to happen at all. I see it like a 90's Metallica thing. It could possibly expose people to heavier stuff yet they get grouped as being "generic" simply because a ton of people like them. Yes, they are generic if you compare them to Avenged Sevenfold because they rarely stray from their formula, but there are barely any bands out there that have a similar sound to them. City of Evil definitely had an Iron Maiden sound to it, and the CD's after CoE had a more streamlined sound but still kept a dark, underlying theme. I love A7X because, like it or not, they are immensely talented. (Those are my opinions, may differ from yours) If you don't like them I understand, but don't come on here bashing them or bashing others about their opinions. If you don't like them don't comment or waste time reading the article. And don't expect that everyone will agree with you, no matter what side you're on. "And why should UG give a damn about YOUR opinions as opposed to anyone else's? What makes you so special?" see what i did there?
    Not really. If you're referring to me discussing my opinions, I never once said UG should banter to what I want unlike the guy I quoted. I did state my opinion, like anyone on here can, but complaining that I don't like what the article is about so UG shouldn't put it up is pretty self centered if you ask me, and UG doesn't care what one individual says. He isn't the only person out there that doesn't want to see or read A7X articles, and I understand that, but saying that UG shouldn't put it up simply because he doesn't like it is pretty asinine. That would be like me getting pissed at SportsCenter and complaining to them because they showed a Yankees highlight. In general, ripping on a band or artist you don't like isn't very credible when it comes to an argument. I am not against people having their own opinion, but thinking that UG should have to banter to your own opinion and ripping on a band or their fans, saying their OPINION is wrong is pretty lame. UG is gonna put up music news. This is news that has to do with a new song that a popular band released. Don't like it? Don't read it. UG isn't going to read your comment and see that "LilJonny101" doesn't like A7X.
    GrymAshes
    Bare in mind it's just my opinion, so fan boys don't shit your nickers over it.
    Hahaha dude I like A7X and lemme tell you, I just laughed the hardest I have in a very long time, thank you for making my night =] (btw, I agree with this)
    Seamus001
    So, I was sitting there, playin zombies, and this turned on. Needless to say, I backed out.
    RockTheWorld77
    Metal/hard rock is my main genre of music and to be honest, there is nothing more frustrating then hearing my band and others bashing A7X. I don't like them personally (outside of a few songs), but I can see why someone else would. Syn is a very talented musician, and he and Zacky do some genius octave solo's (which can be very difficult to pull off). They may not be the heaviest around, or may not be a metalhead's next dream band like Immortal, Nile, or Megadeth, but I would never really label A7X specifically as "metal." I think that's why people get so wrapped up about it: they use many common techniques metal would use. I think it all blends together great, and a lot of people just bash them just because they don't step outside their genre too mcuh. But then again, not many bands do that. It's a shame that people have to be so stubborn as to ripping on bands just because they're a top dog in the music industry. Like I said, I don't like A7X, but the reasons are very clear to why someone would. They're a group of highly talented musicians and stick true to what they do best. Nothing wrong with it.
    axeldarkman420
    I personally don't like this band, but at least they have a new drummer. Maybe their going to sound better with them xD
    audio475
    gapazian wrote: How come fanboys are getting so defensive when someone writes he think a band has no talent and he doesn't like them. Surely those fanboys could then come up with some more original than "They're more successful than you'll ever be" or things like that. I didn't know I needed the talents of some musician or the success to judge that musician's output.
    they get so defensive because people come onto an article about a band that they hate just to troll and start arguments. people cant grasp the common sense that if you dont like a band, then you dont need to read any of the articles or post on them.
    Hriki
    Joschka wrote: and drums are shit since Rev died
    First off: Rev wrote the drum tracks for nightmare before he passed buddy, Mike portnoy elaborated sightly on them. Also drums shit?? Mike Portnoy? Now dont like dream theatre or whatever, im not a big fan either. But still, its not necessarily what he plays (especailly as a drummer, as I am one) but how and how well you play it. He is the tightest drummer i know! His technique is phenominal and its why he is a drum legend of this age. Same goes for rev, you can just HEAR the difference in quality of playing. To say drums are shit after rev died is silly as: He wrote nightmares drums and Mike Port-****ing-noy finished them off. That is a man whose talent, style and play can not be talked down about by anyone, as his technique is irrefutable.
    God_Knows
    Vitor_vdp wrote: Jon_J wrote: Sorry, but if anyone sees A7X as generic rock/metal, then they're obviously not the type of person to listen to the heavier stuff that often. Go back to Bieber... I listen occasionally to Opeth, Gojira, Becoming the Archetype, and some other heavy stuff. I also think A7X is slightly generic (not as much as some people make them out to be). Does that mean I don't exist / my opinion is invalid? "Go back to Bieber" You're real smart, aren't you?
    This. A7X are one of my favorite bands, yet I agree they are somewhat generic. Opeth, on the other hand and for example, are not. I didn't find this interview very interesting, this is all really just saying the obvious interview stuff. "new drummer's awesome" "yeah it was great winning all these awards" nothing new to bring to the table
    MetalFriend
    Jon_J wrote: I actually don't understand why so many people dislike A7X. The usual comments, as can be seen from some here, are that they're really generic, or their fans are all girls, but to be honest, they're a whole lot better than that. I've got a massive range in musical taste, and still love Avenged - Syn is actually up there with Petrucci in my books.
    They are awesome but I personally don't think that he's as good as Petrucci. I do think that Petrucci influenced him a lot though.
    guitarmazdur
    MetalFriend wrote: Jon_J wrote: I actually don't understand why so many people dislike A7X. The usual comments, as can be seen from some here, are that they're really generic, or their fans are all girls, but to be honest, they're a whole lot better than that. I've got a massive range in musical taste, and still love Avenged - Syn is actually up there with Petrucci in my books. They are awesome but I personally don't think that he's as good as Petrucci. I do think that Petrucci influenced him a lot though.
    please. don't compare ANYONE to Petrucci. ESPECIALLY someone as lame as Syn. I agree with "MetalFriend", that he has taken some influence from Petrucci, but he cannot compare in ANY way to Petrucci's amount of musical talent.
    nate_dogg083
    Hriki wrote: Joschka wrote: and drums are shit since Rev died First off: Rev wrote the drum tracks for nightmare before he passed buddy, Mike portnoy elaborated sightly on them. Also drums shit?? Mike Portnoy? Now dont like dream theatre or whatever, im not a big fan either. But still, its not necessarily what he plays (especailly as a drummer, as I am one) but how and how well you play it. He is the tightest drummer i know! His technique is phenominal and its why he is a drum legend of this age. Same goes for rev, you can just HEAR the difference in quality of playing. To say drums are shit after rev died is silly as: He wrote nightmares drums and Mike Port-****ing-noy finished them off. That is a man whose talent, style and play can not be talked down about by anyone, as his technique is irrefutable.
    +1 So true
    CFH-For-Life
    A7X Sucks and will never be legends with there generic sweep arpeggio solos and that earaching chromatic solos FAN BOYS CCAN SUCK IT HARD TROLLLLLOLOLOLLOLL!!!2!1!11!! But seriously, A7X isn't that bad, I definitely like City Of Evil a whole lot though. Ill have to give this song a listen
    Tjet612
    A good band is a good band why do people always wish that their favorite band will make it to #1 on the charts? When they do those same people bitch. Im not saying that only about A7X but its true. Disturbed, Slipknot, Shinedown, Mudvayne, and 5 Finger Death Punch are good examples. I wished everyone could get along. At least it isnt bieber on black ops
    Vedicardi
    Jon_J wrote: Zan595 wrote: I've heard people compare them to disturbed, but I don't personally see the resemblance. Completely agree with you, and this is exactly the problem. People that compare A7X and Disturbed obviously have no real exposure to music. Disturbed use exactly the same formula for everything, and the singing is identical in every song. And why do they feel the need to include monkey noises in so many songs? Sorry, but if anyone sees A7X as generic rock/metal, then they're obviously not the type of person to listen to the heavier stuff that often. Go back to Bieber...
    I listen to morbid saint and a7x is generic rock/metal
    shecter guy
    I have a lot of respect for these guys, just for their sheer creativity. They are one of the few bands that can go from a metal song, to a metal infused danny elfman style piece, to a rock/country song and do them all well and have their signature style in each. admittedly i wasnt crazy about nightmare, but i love their music
    Fenderexpx50
    I'm not the biggest fan of A7X, I don't really hate them. Music is something that each person takes differently. While I may not be a fan, I don't think it's proper of me to say I hate them. Just because I don't like them doesn't mean they suck or are bad. Personally I think there is talent in that band. It's just not for me. Like Coke and Pepsi to me. I don't like Pepsi, but I don't go around telling people I hate it. I just drink Coke and go about my day.
    JTNorquay
    Vitor_vdp wrote: Benjumanji wrote: I can understand why people dislike Avenged, but generic is about the last word I would use to describe them. If anything, I find them to be extremely unique. What other band has songs like "A Little Piece of Heaven" and "Save Me"? Those are pretty good songs, but unique? That is redonculous. joeyplaysguitar wrote: a7x is the only band i know that can do any type of music and it still sounds good, for ex: second heart beat great screamo, dear god great country everything else: perfect lol Country and screamo - the only types of music in this universe!
    Sir, you made my day. That's just ****ing fantastic. Haha.
    HardRock369
    as a reminder for everyone that keeps re-hashing the "successful" argument, or telling everyone how many records they've sold, commercial success isn't going to convince ANYONE that the band is good. if i sit here and talk about how successful, and how many records madonna or kiss or guns n roses were/are is that going to make you like them any more or less? also, the argument that only young teens and people with limited music taste like these guys is bullshit. i'm in my twenties and in the past year i've seen everyone from between the buried and me to aerosmith to streelight manifesto to jeff beck and eric clapton to pearl jam to danzig later this week. i'll listen to whoever appeals to my ears. i like lady gaga, i think joss stone has a fantastic voice, and i think alicia keys is great too. on topic, i like avenged sevenfold. i'm not a real big fan of their newest cd honestly, but there are a few songs off it i like, and their other cds i listen to often.
    biff022
    You know, I finally get it... Ax7 are the best! You guys convinced me! Just kidding.
    a7xjunkie9109
    @whywefight this band is different, its more of a family then it is a band, either you will love this band or hate them there is no happy medium
    Ghefly
    Oh look Nazi Zombies and Avenged Sevenfold together. Two of the worst things to come out of their genres (FPS games and metal, respectively).
    Morphogenesis26
    SumFX wrote: ReaperWaits wrote: biff022 wrote: whywefight wrote: I never really got why this band is successful, but people like them I guess... They are successful because they are as middle of the road generic as they can possibly be, thereby appealing to the broadest audience possible. Out of the many awful things to come from Orange Country, one of the worst. I'm not a fan of this band but you can't call them "Middle of the road". Every album's had a different sound and sold millions. Keep your opinions to yourself, moron. Selling millions usually suggests "Middle of the road". Don't call someone a moron for expressing their opinion. joeyplaysguitar wrote: i completely agree with you ever disturbed song sounds exactly the same and a7x is the only band i know that can do any type of music and it still sounds good, for ex: second heart beat great screamo, dear god great country everything else: perfect lol You don't know what Screamo is do you? Check out Joshua Fit For Battle, Pg.99 and Saetia for Screamo. Andehwuzhere wrote: Honestly, they've always been one of my favorite groups. There music is not generic, Syn has studied theory and guitar techniques. Jonny's basslines are sick. If you're gonna hate, do it to a group worth hating. Studying theory and techniques is what the majority of guitarist do, just because his is of a high grade does not mean he is a good creative force. I for one don't like any riffs he/they have written. Personally i don't like this band, i liked a few songs when i was 15 but not anymore. I don't like the guitar tone, its just too American and cheesy for me. The vocals are terrible, they sound like a horrid mix of Axl Rose and James Hetfield (two vocalist i hate). The sound is overproduced, but what should you expect from a pop band? Bare in mind it's just my opinion, so fan boys don't shit your nickers over it.
    Bravo, I wish everyone who dislikes the band was like you, I am a fan of A7X, but when someone who doesn't like them gives an statement like that, I must applaud them for their Civil approach.
    pointblankpb10
    whywefight wrote: I never really got why this band is successful, but people like them I guess...
    +1 lol look how mad you got everyone, i'd be proud if i were you
    crashnburn771
    MarkWakefield wrote: Who does the screaming in this song? It sounds awesome, but it cant be M Shadows... :L
    I think it is M Shadows. As far as I know he did the screaming in all their other songs
    crisheat9
    crisheat9 wrote: G0dzilla wrote: Hahaha. I'm amazed people havent figured out these two are trolls yet, ('specially that first one, i've seen a few people rip him seriously haha) Anyways, on topic, i love Avenged, i think they're a great band and the haters can suck it because i really dont care what they think.
    Learn to read next time.
    crisheat9
    G0dzilla wrote: Hahaha. I'm amazed people havent figured out these two are trolls yet, ('specially that first one, i've seen a few people rip him seriously haha) Anyways, on topic, i love Avenged, i think they're a great band and the haters can suck it because i really dont care what they think.
    You're seriously using the word troll? haha Dude get you a$$ back to youtube
    rockr09
    I've just been let down by their last two albums.Too slow. They may have been "metal" before but now they're just a hard rock band.
    Jam55
    these arguments are silly. Though the actual songwriting involved to create avenged songs is not incredible. Syn does have a cool tone and his technique makes his lead lines sound crazy, that attributes a lot to the "unique" sound. But the progressions and rhythms are pretty repetitive and they don't often put much variety in songs. But hey, most people aren't actually that fond of variety. They have certainly improved as albums progress but a song like nightmare, you can't really call that "brilliant composition" on any Mozart level. It's pretty much verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bridge, chorus. Each section as un unique as the last. Except for the solo where syn shows some style. It's not an offence to call a pop band a pop band. It's just what they are.
    COBHC_Erick429
    booby50 wrote: biff022 wrote: I've tried to like this band since I heard "Bat Country"... everything that gets posted on UG I give a chance. Like I've said before on UG, but no one listens... the term "hater" is asinine. I am voicing my opinion in the hopes that UG notices and that others voice the same opinion so my interests have a chance to be covered rather than something I don't like. Saying "you'll never be as successful" or "you don't have the talent these guys do" is just ridiculous and is something an adolescent would say. Get it together and deal with the fact that not everyone agrees with your (poor) taste in music and that these people have the same right to their opinion as you do. And why should UG give a damn about YOUR opinions as opposed to anyone else's? What makes you so special? I think A7X has so many haters because they have gotten immensely popular without really being all that heavy, but they are close to the rock/metal border and that's probably why people get upset. They may be afraid that they will "pollute" metal which I don't think is going to happen at all. I see it like a 90's Metallica thing. It could possibly expose people to heavier stuff yet they get grouped as being "generic" simply because a ton of people like them. Yes, they are generic if you compare them to Avenged Sevenfold because they rarely stray from their formula, but there are barely any bands out there that have a similar sound to them. City of Evil definitely had an Iron Maiden sound to it, and the CD's after CoE had a more streamlined sound but still kept a dark, underlying theme. I love A7X because, like it or not, they are immensely talented. (Those are my opinions, may differ from yours) If you don't like them I understand, but don't come on here bashing them or bashing others about their opinions. If you don't like them don't comment or waste time reading the article. And don't expect that everyone will agree with you, no matter what side you're on.
    "And why should UG give a damn about YOUR opinions as opposed to anyone else's? What makes you so special?" see what i did there?
    Duke_Lukem
    This band bores the crap out of me. But whatever, if other people enjoy their music they're doing some sort of good job.
    Jam55
    Benjumanji wrote: Vitor_vdp wrote: Benjumanji wrote: I can understand why people dislike Avenged, but generic is about the last word I would use to describe them. If anything, I find them to be extremely unique. What other band has songs like "A Little Piece of Heaven" and "Save Me"? Those are pretty good songs, but unique? That is redonculous. What exactly don't you find unique about either of those two songs? I mean, I would understand the argument that a few of their singles contain generic riffs or ideas, but when they put in effort they come up with some really valuable tracks.
    listen to more music.. I'm not talking about metal, just learn music..
    shunks
    prac23 wrote: no band generates more comments lol
    Hahaha so true
    MyTwistedDreams
    Vetpro wrote: Barely made it through the comment section without killing myself. To the fanboys: No, people don't hate on a7x because it's not heavy enough, but because it's not interesting/special enough. And no, the theory 'If other guitarists are better than Gates they play without emotion' is retarded. Cheers to a7x for being a gateway from pop to metal though. Its also comforting to know that most a7x fanboys will probably be listening to proper music in a few years from now and will look back wondering why they even listened to this in the first place. Tldr; a7x is teen metal that you 15 year olds will outgrow in 2-3 years.
    I'm 15, and i've been listening to metal for years. I was raised on that shit! I've seen Megadeth live twice, Machine Head, Slayer, Rob Zombie, Testament, Exodus, Alexisonfire, Kiss, Van Halen, etc., and I personally enjoy Avenged Sevenfold. Then again, I like Lady Gaga for her composing ability, and acknowledge that Justin Bieber can play guitar and drums with some degree of skill. So shitstorm me as much as you like, everyone xD
    iljh
    Great interview, great guy, great band. To the guy who says they are 15 year old teen metal that we'll outgrow in 2-3 years, I hate to prove you wrong (actually I love it) but I've been listening to them for 6 years now and I am a college student. To any comments on generic, I can't think of ANY other band out there that sounds like them. Some of their own songs sometimes sound similar, but the same could be said about almost any band. All great musicians and one of the best live acts out there today. So I'll let the haters hate, cuz if Metallica, the band everyone owes their ass too, can still get flamed so much, then I guess ANY band can. \m/
    Bmxchimp
    You guys are arguing because you *think* they suck. Well i'm here to say they don't. They've won awards, they've been top for a while, they love heavy metal bands and other bands like them. It either means your tone deaf and you listen to black metal or your just a retard who thinks it's cool to "troll". Like I listen to thrash metal, heavy metal, a bit of death metal, rock, and dubstep. I listen to what sounds good. People just hate on this band because they have either have popularity or they are just doing what other do, like with Justin Beiber-I bet half of the people out there "hate" him pointlessly. I don't like his music whatsoever but that doesn't mean I spread it all over the place. It's just not cool. Yes, I am expecting someone to reply to this saying something dumb.
    ticklemeemo
    Vitor_vdp wrote: Andehwuzhere wrote: There music is not generic, Syn has studied theory and guitar techniques. By guitar techniques, you mean hammer-ons, pull-offs and sweeping? And who decides what groups are "worth hating"?
    Ever heard of Musician's Institute? He studied there. Guess who else studied there? Chris Letchford.