Axl Rose Gives Rare Interview

Axl talked about the current state of GN'R, fan support and reaction, and the pressure the band faces to live up to their past.

0
The how and why are a mystery, but Guns N' Roses leader Axl Rose sat down for an extremely rare interview, prior to the band's December 16 gig in Abu Dhabi. Axl on the current state of GNR: "For me, one of the really cool things is I don't have to get on at everybody in the band. Hey do this, do that, you know. Because they're excited. Everybody takes a certain amount of pride in what they do. Plus they all get on at each other about it anyway. Everybody goes out there and tries to give everything they can. And we stay out there a couple hours more, you know, until we feel the crowd is happy. Or until we feel like we've done a good job. It's kinda like going to the gym or something, you know, you don't leave until you feel like you're supposed to." Axl on fan support and reaction, and the pressure the band faces to live up to their past: "I think it's a lot to do with the material from the past and a hell of a lot to do with the heart that was put into it then. But if we weren't putting the heart into it now, if I wasn't putting my heart into it, the fans, they're not gonna let me get away with it. We have to live up to something, have to work a bit harder because you're living up to the legend or a myth or whatever. It's more pressure when you're playing to live up to myth." Axl on the diversity of the GNR audience: "The diverse crowd aspect is actually the most interesting part for me because I think that pretty much sums up why the Guns catalogue has stood the test of time. It crosses genres, it crosses religious lines, you know. It's music that people can relate to. That there is such a diverse crowd out there it makes it a lot of fun. We've crossed a few lines for certain, and we'll continue that." Check out the full article here.

60 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    RoxxHunter
    He probably did this interview during one of the 3 guitar solos, drum solo, bass solo etc that happen at the Guns concert nowadays...It's not GnR
    edgeyyz
    This isn't even really like an interview, just him talking... Anyways, at least he's being fair about everything and acknowledging the standards the band set for themselves when it was GNR, not Axl's band.
    slaveskinJACKET
    jimmypagejunior wrote: I honestly listen to more Taylor Swift than I do the new GNR.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA. Just to be clear, I'm laughing at you, not with you. I'm sorry for you and what your ears go through.
    RoxxHunter wrote: He probably did this interview during one of the 3 guitar solos, drum solo, bass solo etc that happen at the Guns concert nowadays...It's not GnR
    I would much rather pay to see a full band each demonstrating their musical talent than to pay to see a full band that doesn't have a single member who knows their way around their own instrument. And solo's are cool, anyway. I don't see the problem. Would you rather pay to see Puddle of Mudd not even be able to perform their own written songs, let alone improvise?
    MegadethFan18
    If you had to have seen GnR to post here there would be alot less comments. If you had to have seen GnR AND not be a ****ing moron to post here there would be almost no comments. I also like how doing a fairly low key interview is "craving attention". Axl could be on the front of any magazine he wanted to (like Slash). Yet who do you see on magazine covers? Who is getting publicity and attention. Me-1 The band wagon jumpers-0
    captainperoxide
    GaryS wrote: Not to mention he's a racist and a sexist! Woo!....Great guy.
    Oh go away. He used the words "nigger" and "faggot" in a song. So did Green Day, so what? Doesn't make them racist or homophobic. As to the article, nice to see Axl doing an interview, but kinda disappointing he hasn't addressed all the recent controversy about going onstage hours late. I'd at least have liked to hear an explanation of some kind.
    julianverbeek
    I seriously respect Axl Rose for the music he made, even Chinese Democracy, and must admit that he is one of the- perhaps even the- best frontmen of all time. His arrogant attitude and his habit of never showing up on time is so pathetic. But I actually feel sorry for the man, for years he is pretending to be the star he isn't anymore in a band that's isn't the band it's pretending to be. His arrogance might have served him well in the urly days, now when he's grown quite old it's pitiful.
    Brownerz
    The how and why are a mystery, but Guns N' Roses leader Axl Rose sat down for an extremely rare interview, prior to the bands December 16 gig in Abu Dhabi.
    Ah so this is why he is always turning up late!
    Slap-happy
    GezzyDiversion wrote: ITT: People hating on GNR because they hate Axl and have never heard Chinese Democracy
    Whilst i admit to n,ot being particularly fond of Axl I was a massive GN'R fan from the first release of Appetite through to even the Spaghetti Incident? Chinese Democracy isn't a bad album, per se. It's not brilliant either. It's just not Guns N' Roses - it's Axl fronting a different band with an entirely different feel. He talent is on the wane and he should have let go of the name years ago - he would have garnered a lot more respect from people for that alone. If he had the respect to turn up on stage at the right time and had changed the name (even playing classic GN'R tracks in the set) I would even consider checking the band out.
    Shawn1379
    I hate Axl. It's not because I haven't heard Chinese Democracy, because I did, and I really liked it. He's just a dickhead on stage in my opinion. That's not cool.
    de-fexxx666
    Uber Man wrote: If what Axl said is true then he has very poor judgment about feeling when the crowd is happy or recognizing when he's done a good job...
    I saw GN'R at 7 of the Canadian shows in January/February. There were very few people at any of the shows that were disappointed. As for the people saying he'll sue the paper or deny giving the interview, that's exactly why the official GN'R Twitter posted a video of him giving the interview, isn't it?
    CydoniaKnight95
    Ok i was at the Abu Dhabi gig and honestly, i went prepared to hate Axl and DJ Ashba (the Slash imitation with a hat) But they were frankly one of the best bands I've seen live... while i still think Axl is a total douche, he's a great performer
    dweb23
    I wonder if he turned up 2 hours late and answered like 3 questions, before insulting the interviewer and storming off half way through the interview?
    HopeForTheWorst
    PIMO wrote: watch him sue somebody two years from now over this interview because he didn't agree to it or it violated a contract -__-
    This!
    GenerationKILL
    Thanks Axl Rose! When is someone gonna grow some balls and ask this dickhead why he STILL feels the need to stand fans up and deliver half-assed shows?! I don't care what he thinks of how "GNR MARK 8" works, truthfully, I'm sure all his "hired guns" are just scared shitless of him having a meltdown and screwing more fans over, so they just nod in agreement to everything he says or does. Axl Rose is the biggest jerk-off in hard rock and maybe the rest of music in general.
    FuruiShin
    Sorry Mr. Rose- there is no Guns N'Roses now ;/. Give it up and change your band name already- or stfu and just meet up with real GnR. Come up with something serious about it...
    Jonbagga
    slashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslash slashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslash slashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslashslash slashslashslashslashslashslashslashslash
    FiddleJohnny
    MetalManic 666 wrote: FiddleJohnny wrote: The how and why are a mystery, but Guns N' Roses leader Axl Rose sat down for an extremely rare interview, prior to the bands December 16 gig in Abu Dhabi. BECAUSE he needs some publicity. What a drama queen. Hate Axl and his over inflated ego. publicity? like turning up late for major festivals wasn't enough? and there was nothing there that suggested an over inflated ego? what's wrong? did axl not sign your tits for you?
    Obviously he did sign yours xD
    SG-Burchett
    ive got to give it to mr.rose.....he gave some good answers. its a shame he doesn't speak more and stops doing dumbass things...then maybe people wouldn't flame him.....as much. unfortunately he seems to insist on doin some things which just make his current line-up look like a bad joke.
    coco-axeman
    jacobbirdy128 wrote: Tomorrow: 'Axl denys giving interview'
    HAHA! I actually lol'd when I read that.
    MichaelDiaz
    I agree it isn't Guns N' Roses anymore its Axl and posers
    FuruiShin wrote: Sorry Mr. Rose- there is no Guns N'Roses now ;/. Give it up and change your band name already- or stfu and just meet up with real GnR. Come up with something serious about it...
    CreepingDeath13
    blooddrunk wrote: get from up slashs ass guys. hes always seen as the angel and it has happened again with VR. maybe the singer isnt always the problem. slash is a damned sellout and you cant say that about axl. he has more artistic integrity than slash. would axl have a pussycat doll and black eyed peas singer on his album? hell no !
    No, Slash recognises musical talent that he wanted to collaborate with. Neither of those songs were anything like their bands, infact Fergie has an awesome rock voice and i thought her song was really good.
    The Necrotizer
    blooddrunk wrote: get from up slashs ass guys. hes always seen as the angel and it has happened again with VR. maybe the singer isnt always the problem. slash is a damned sellout and you cant say that about axl. he has more artistic integrity than slash. would axl have a pussycat doll and black eyed peas singer on his album? hell no !
    That's just retarded, having a commercial (attractive) female vocalist on your rock solo album is not in anyway violating his artistic rights. I dislike pop as much as the next metal fan, but most of those bitches can sing... So if he got some underground lesbian indie chick that sounds pre-pubescent (which seems all the rage atm) that would be ok?
    ihavenoname93
    captainperoxide wrote: GaryS wrote: Not to mention he's a racist and a sexist! Woo!....Great guy. Oh go away. He used the words "nigger" and "faggot" in a song. So did Green Day, so what? Doesn't make them racist or homophobic. As to the article, nice to see Axl doing an interview, but kinda disappointing he hasn't addressed all the recent controversy about going onstage hours late. I'd at least have liked to hear an explanation of some kind.
    'Immigrants and faggots They make no sense to me They come to our country And think they'll do as they please Like start some mini Iran, Or spread some ****in' disease They talk so many goddamn ways It's all Greek to me' 'Police and Niggers, that's right Get out of my way Don't need to buy none of your Gold chains today' oh come on. you cant tell me thats not racist or xenophobic. its not even so much about the words as the context in which he used them. replace 'niggers' with 'blacks' and 'faggots' with 'gays' and the lyrics are still just as bad.
    Intersting
    The how and why are a mystery, but Guns N' Roses leader Axl Rose sat down for an extremely rare interview, prior to the bands December 16 gig in Abu Dhabi. I think it's extremely rare that Axl showed up EARLY for a gig...
    blooddrunk
    get from up slashs ass guys. hes always seen as the angel and it has happened again with VR. maybe the singer isnt always the problem. slash is a damned sellout and you cant say that about axl. he has more artistic integrity than slash. would axl have a pussycat doll and black eyed peas singer on his album? hell no !
    loaded_
    ihavenoname93 wrote: captainperoxide wrote: GaryS wrote: Not to mention he's a racist and a sexist! Woo!....Great guy. Oh go away. He used the words "nigger" and "faggot" in a song. So did Green Day, so what? Doesn't make them racist or homophobic. As to the article, nice to see Axl doing an interview, but kinda disappointing he hasn't addressed all the recent controversy about going onstage hours late. I'd at least have liked to hear an explanation of some kind. 'Immigrants and faggots They make no sense to me They come to our country And think they'll do as they please Like start some mini Iran, Or spread some ****in' disease They talk so many goddamn ways It's all Greek to me' 'Police and Niggers, that's right Get out of my way Don't need to buy none of your Gold chains today' oh come on. you cant tell me thats not racist or xenophobic. its not even so much about the words as the context in which he used them. replace 'niggers' with 'blacks' and 'faggots' with 'gays' and the lyrics are still just as bad.
    I'm so sick of this discussion. In the song, Axl plays a character. A rascist, xenophobic *****. And he sings from that character's point of view. And that character is the 'one in a million', it's actually very cynical.
    loaded_
    blooddrunk wrote: get from up slashs ass guys. hes always seen as the angel and it has happened again with VR. maybe the singer isnt always the problem. slash is a damned sellout and you cant say that about axl. he has more artistic integrity than slash. would axl have a pussycat doll and black eyed peas singer on his album? hell no !
    You think Slash didn't know what people's reactions were gonna be when he made those songs with Fergie and that other chick? He knew that many wouldn't like it and he still did it simply because he wanted to do those songs. That's artistic integrity and it takes a lot of balls to go through with something like that. If Slash were a sellout, then he would've stayed with GNR because of all the things he's done, GNR is still the most profitable.
    PIMO
    watch him sue somebody two years from now over this interview because he didn't agree to it or it violated a contract -__-
    ILuvPillows?
    PIMO wrote: watch him sue somebody two years from now over this interview because he didn't agree to it or it violated a contract -__-
    Haha...unfortunately it's a real possibility
    Jyrgen
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: GuitarBassVoice wrote: Hey dont flame Axl. Pahaha, yeah cause he's such a nice guy and respects his fans...
    He does. Just because he doesn't turn up to concerts on time, or because he doesn't give much interviews doesn't mean he doesn't care about his fans. He will sign something or take a photo if you meet him by chance etc. He posts special thank you messages and updates for the fans on Twitter every now and then. Also he did an extensive essay on things like why he kept the GN'R name (it's a good read) and answered many controversial topics on messageboard chats a few years ago.
    Thomas Zane
    And CD is one hell of a album. Man I love 'Old' GNR, but 'NewGnR' ****ing Rocks as well! I've seen them live, they blow your socks of, and CD has some killer/epic songs on them. And yeah I like Slash, and yeah I love Ashba.
    Thomas Zane
    I think Axl is misunderstood at some points. Not all of them, but I don't think he is the guy that everybody here makes him out to be.
    MetalManic 666
    FiddleJohnny wrote: The how and why are a mystery, but Guns N' Roses leader Axl Rose sat down for an extremely rare interview, prior to the bands December 16 gig in Abu Dhabi. BECAUSE he needs some publicity. What a drama queen. Hate Axl and his over inflated ego.
    publicity? like turning up late for major festivals wasn't enough? and there was nothing there that suggested an over inflated ego? what's wrong? did axl not sign your tits for you?
    ILuvPillows?
    FiddleJohnny wrote: BECAUSE he needs some publicity. What a drama queen. Hate Axl and his over inflated ego.
    Needs publicity? As the news statement said, this is a VERY rare interview. Not sure how rarely making statements makes a person a drama queen. I guess Led Zep' were also drama queens then.
    FiddleJohnny
    The how and why are a mystery, but Guns N' Roses leader Axl Rose sat down for an extremely rare interview, prior to the bands December 16 gig in Abu Dhabi. BECAUSE he needs some publicity. What a drama queen. Hate Axl and his over inflated ego.
    hawk_kst
    I bet he made everyone sign special contract agreements though to only publish what he wanted.
    FearOfTheDuck
    GuitarBassVoice wrote: Hey dont flame Axl.
    Pahaha, yeah cause he's such a nice guy and respects his fans...
    Iliekgitaz
    GuitarBassVoice wrote: Hey dont flame Axl. He is a great singer and although this band isnt Guns N Roses its still an amazing band live and on studio(if you try to actually listen to Chinese Democracy you will agree) mega this. Is this band better than Guns N Roses? No but that doesnt mean they are not an awesome band.
    luvmygibby
    The irony of the Axl Rose situation is, for those of us who are actually old enough to remember, is that this guy made his name on being the exact thing you kiddies are flaming him for...being a dick. He's sticks to his convictions, like it or not, and he will always be the heart and soul of Guns n' Roses.
    lilscooter11
    FearOfTheDuck wrote: GuitarBassVoice wrote: Hey dont flame Axl. Pahaha, yeah cause he's such a nice guy and respects his fans...
    Exactly. Maybe if he showed up on time and played an exciting set at Reading this year, I might be saying "no you're wrong".
    Jyrgen
    bartdevil_metal wrote: The guy treats his fans like shit, and lies through his teeth in this interview because he needs POSITIVE publicity. That's what I think FiddleJohnny meant. Axl is a liar, and a egotistical idiot. The one redeeming factor was his voice, but no that's starting to fade with age if you ask me.
    Where does he lie exactly? Also if he really crawed for public acceptation, you'd think he'd do interviews more often than once a year? Also his touring voice was brilliant this tour.
    i_am_metalhead
    Jyrgen ...He posts special thank you messages and updates for the fans on Twitter every now and then. Also he did an extensive essay on things like why he kept the GN'R name (it's a good read) and answered many controversial topics on messageboard chats a few years ago.
    Oh yea, because its not like he would ever pay a publicist to do those types of things. Not Axl, because he's such a kind, loving person who is so truly devoted to his fans. This interview is strictly for publicity. His name hasn't been in any headlines for a while so he needed to do something to make people remember, "Oh yea, "GnR" are still kicking."