Bullet For My Valentine: 'Next Album Going To Be In A Similar Vein Of Fever'

Michael Paget spoke about the band's success, the evolution of his guitar sound, groupies and where the band are at with the writing process for the next album.

Bullet For My Valentine: 'Next Album Going To Be In A Similar Vein Of Fever'
0
One of the biggest metal bands to emerge from Wale in recent years has been Bullet For My Valentine. After the much well earned success of the band's third and most recent album, Fever, the band will deliver a special deluxe CD/DVD edition of the album titled Fever: Tour Edition in February. The album will accompany tour dates for the band which will also include US dates sometime this year. The deluxe set will feature three new songs recorded live at XFM radio in the UK (Fever, The Last Fight, and Bittersweet Memories) and a DVD of Your Betrayal, Fever and Waking The Demon that was recorded live from Graspop Metal Meeting 2010 in Dessel, Belgium. The DVD will also include videos for Your Betrayal, The Last Fight and The Making of The Last Fight as well as a Bullet For My Valentine track-by-track commentary of Fever. Since its release in April of last year, Fever has sold over 500,000 units worldwide and gone on to become the band's most successful to date. In its first week, the record landed at #3 on the Billboard 200 album chart and went Top 5 in Australia, the UK, Japan, Germany Austria and Switzerland. On the eve of the deluxe release, Joe Matera spoke to Michael Padge Paget about the band's success, the evolution of Padge's guitar sound, groupies and where the band are at with the writing process for the next studio album. UG: I want to start the interview by asking you, what is the status of the writing process for the next album? Michael: At the moment there is nothing as of yet, but we do have a couple tracks left over from the last recordings that we're looking at. When we finally get to it, I can tell you that it will, definitely going to be in a similar vein of Fever. So we will definitely start writing it sometime this year and hopefully start recording it nearer towards the end of this year. Is there pressure building on the band to try and top the last album's success? I think there will be pressure for sure, but so far we are not expecting too much of it. We just want to work hard and do the best at only what we can do. And I think that's all we can do. For the last album Fever, the process you chose for the writing and recording of it was different to all your previous efforts in that you took time off and worked with a new producer. Because it seems to have worked so well, will you be utilizing that same process? Yeah, I really think that we will be doing that again because Don [Gilmore, producer] really changed things around for us. And he took a lot of pressure off us as musicians and as a band which really helped things breathe a lot more, both musically and obviously in the vocal sessions, which is where Matt [Tuck] and Don really shined. But that is what Don is all about really. For him it is all about the vocal melodies and crafting songs.

"There will be pressure to try and top the last album's success, but so far we are not expecting too much of it."

Last year [2010] was quite a big year for the band, the best yet and the culmination of the band's hard work ethic. Yes, it was great and a really amazing year. To be honest, I really never thought we would ever get this far. I remember back to many years ago, before we got our deal, we had just a couple of friends and used to play in a bar back home. If Matt had said to me then that we would be playing arenas in a few years time, I would have gone, yeah, yeah, sure, but I'll hold you up to it'. But funnily enough, it actually happened and it is really great. Matt recently did a guest vocal on the new upcoming Black Tide album. Have you got plans to do something similar as well? I have started doing that already, just a few bits here and there, but nothing worth mentioning just yet. But to answer your question, yes, I would. I am actually working on a couple of other things myself but nothing too serious as yet. Would you ever consider venturing out and doing a solo album? Yes I would. I would be very happy to do anything at the moment. I do program drums at home but I would definitely get a drummer to play on the record. It would be pretty much a metal outing. What has been an integral part in the evolution of your guitar sound during the course of the band's career? It has been mainly about controlling and keeping in check the gain aspect of my tone. Playing through the Mesa-Boogies, they have a very high gain output and so to control the Mesas, you need to add a lot of components to the chain, things such as noise suppressors and similar type things. And that is just one aspect, because then when you add distortion pedals as well and similar pedals, it then calls for more noise suppressors. My guitar tech knows a lot more about it than me. But basically we have to have compressors and things like that for solos so that they don't lost, in a sea of high gain. This process also lends itself to you working out the parts in the song that you find, may shine a lot more so again, you just add more things to the equation. Do you like to experiment with gear when you are in the studio? There wasn't that much experimenting on this last album. We did more of that though with Colin [Richardson, producer] on our previous albums. Nothing too much though. We really tried recording more from a musical perspective this time around as Don left us to do pretty much what we wanted to during the sessions. You have affirmed that Nirvana was the reason why you picked up a guitar in the first place, how did the journey from Nirvana to metal happen for you? At the time I picked up the guitar, the bands were Nirvana and Metallica. They were the main bands for the group of people I was hanging out with at the time. Then after that, I came across Pantera and Machinehead, especially the Burn My Eyes album of theirs, and those bands helped me find a new direction which was metal. I still love rock and blues but metal has got, and always will, a bit more edge for me. The band are known for doing a lot of touring, so how do you keep your sanity on the road for lengthy periods of time? It is hard as some days are really shit but you know, you have got to snap yourself out of it. You have to get on with it really, because being down isn't going to help anything or the situation. You have to get on top of it all and think of the time you will be on stage. What kind of groupies does the band tend to attract. Are they mostly music and metal lovers or do you get also some of the ore out there types? There are definitely some hardcore ones and there are some fuckin' wacky ones too!. We do try and keep away from those ones, because we all have girlfriends and stuff, and are engaged and/or married back home with families and babies and stuff, so we keep away from them as much as we can.

"I would like to leave a nice, deep metal footprint in music and metal history."

It must be hard to have relationships and then go on the road and come across fans like the freaky types especially with how the internet is today and how an innocent photo can take on a life of their own and seem to the outside world something other than what it really is. Dude, that is actually so amazing that you actually said that, because in the last few weeks I have found myself in that exact situation. It is incredible what people say, or presume, about you and in these days with the internet, you just can't really stop it from getting out of hand. How do you feel about the fact that many of the old school metal bands such as The Scorpions and Judas Priest are all planning retirement, and considering the enormous influences these bands have had on bands such as Bullet For My Valentine, what do you feel about it all? It is obviously very sad to hear as they are all legends but they will be leaving behind a quite a legacy. It is not such a bad thing you know, as it is good for the new breeds of metal bands to come through the ranks themselves, which in turn allows each band to leave their own a legacy too. Through this process, each time metal continues to build upon those that came before. So what kind of legacy would you like to leave? One that is very similar to those bands, I would like to leave a nice, deep metal footprint in music and metal history. You have achieved a lot in your career thus, so what is your dream gig that you'd still like to achieve? I want to play the Milton Keynes Bowl festival as that would be a really cool gig. What is one of your most prized possessions? It would have to be my signature model Stevie Ray Vaughan Strat guitar. I have had the guitar for two or three years now, and it has such a great neck, and is really chunky with good frets. I love it. And the Texas Special pickups fitted in it are also great. Finally, any message you like to pass onto all your fans out there? Yes, that we will continue to give you as much as we can with our music. And that I want to thank you all for being with us there all along the way and that we will hopefully see you sometime soon at show this year. Interview by Joe Matera Ultimate-Guitar.Com 2011

156 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Maggot66
    Gotta love these guys, hopefully the next album is excellent as well.
    bdas1977
    I wasn't a big fan of Fever, but at least these guys were honest. I can't stand the typical retread sayings of other bands that claim "this will be the heaviest album we've ever done!" or "we are going back to our roots", etc. and then the album just plain sucks. At least now we know what to expect from these guys. Let them do what works for them. I'm just glad they were successful with their last album, because metal gets barely any press nowadays. Metal fans should be happy when Metal bands succeed, even if they sell out. It creates more interest in the genre and new metal bands. Do what you got to do Bullet...
    ed_the_head
    man, this band had so much potential when I first heard of them 5-6 years ago. but all this growling, synthetic guitar sound and girlie songs kinda ruined everything.
    bfmv_4_ever
    I think that hes already had an imprint on metal. hes one of my fav guitarest as well.
    Noremak
    strat0blaster wrote: What's with all the bitching about them not writing the same album they've already put out a second time? Do you people really want to hear the exact same crap over and over with different titles? If you love a band, you don't just love them for one album or jump ship when they don't make another one just like it - I can't imagine, as an artist or musician - just writing the same songs over and over again. Personally, I like seeing this band shift a little here and there and stay fresh. If you want to hear The Poison again, go put it on. Why have seven albums that are just like it when can listen to that as much as you want?
    Um...they prettttty much just said they are going to put out the same album and not change anything or evolve their sound at all.
    pearlJam_31490
    stueey wrote: I loved their EPs over everything they've done. I'm not slating them and I don't wana be THAT guy, but songs like Curses and Hand of Blood we're just incredible. I just loved the aura the early E.P.s have!
    This! Curses is awesome. To me they have went down hill since Poison.
    whitebluesboy
    These guys are to metal what Nickelback is to rock. Saw them back in the day here in America and they were just yelling at the crowd calling everybody faggots. They think metal is about homophobia, cut off black t-shirts, and bardbed wire tattoos. Worst music, worst dudes.
    PotatoSpud
    If they make another album like Fever I'll be disappointed deeply because Fever sounds like they're slowly trying to become radio friendly. The Poison was amazing with the energy it had that just kicked you in the ****ing face and made you say "**** woah, that hurt, but it's bloody amazing". Scream Aim Fire was good also, not as good as the latter, Waking the Demon being the best track on it They need to realize this,and go back to their old stuff.
    iljh
    I will never buy an album released by these guys when it first comes out because a year or two later they ALWAYS come out with a re release. Never ****ing fails. It's just kind of annoying. I don't want the same crap twice.
    stueey
    I loved their EPs over everything they've done. I'm not slating them and I don't wana be THAT guy, but songs like Curses and Hand of Blood we're just incredible. I just loved the aura the early E.P.s have!
    El Logando
    Also, I think my biggest problem with albums after The Poison is that Tuck's voice is kind of annoying. It sounds sort of synthetic, like it's being auto-tuned. Getting his tonsils taken out may be the reason for this, but I can't get over it.
    SGofawesome
    EndTheRapture51 wrote: It's a shame Fever was just a collection of rubbish ballads and the cringiest lyrics since Escape the Fate. Bullet used to be good, now they are a wannabe "metal" band. They worked as Metalcore but not as "metal" or "hard rock" or whatever they are.
    They're not really a wannabe band anymore if they have already earned status...
    k3v1n shr3dz
    SGofawesome wrote: They're not really a wannabe band anymore if they have already earned status...
    ....as an unoriginal semi-talented metalcore band.
    sonicx2218
    Waking the demon is my all time fav song by them. But my fav album was def the poison. I really miss their old style, I know they're doing what they want. But the music is so dif, its almost like its not them. I mean, its not bad, But it gets boring after a while, predictable might be the word. I wish they went back to their roots, I know a band is boring if they are always the same, but this isn't the way to go
    HoneyofRuin
    I found Fever to be a very satisfying album. I loved the melody, the heaviness and the genuine emotion packed into each song.
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    Hey still love their music besides Fever....The other two albums had just the true intensity that they brought... They were one of the bands that made me want to play guitar and that`s a great thing for me...
    birdy_9203
    So many good and terrible quotes in these responses imo. Hand of Blood and The Poison were amazing because of sick riffs, solos and for me a great combination of screaming and singing. In time I grew to listen to SAF (still don't really like the album) Fever - very average. As someone said very predictable songs based around chord progressions than riffs that tear the nuts off a bear and feed them to a llama. Also I think Bullet and Trivium get so closely compared is because they 'appeared' on the scene at about the same time. So its "look what bullet have done compared to trivium"
    bamboy1104
    Bullet for my valentine is one of the best metal bands today I cant wait to hear more of them
    jambi_mantra
    I love the people mocking Fever but saying Poison is amazing. They're like the same thing. Which is why Fever was wicked, it went back to their whiny teenage best.
    pineaple expres
    Saky077 wrote: Why is it all flame flame flame, hate hate hate with metal "fans" nowadays? So what if their last album wasn't so great? THEY ONLY HAVE 3 FUCKING ALBUMS! Two of which where amazing. Every band/musician is bound to have a mediocre album at least once in their career. Metallica has been putting out shitty albums for the past 10 years but i don't see anyone hating on them! Makes me sick to my ****ing stomach
    lol. where the **** have u been. almost every1 i know flames on metallica for the crappy albums of the past decade.
    themetalpig
    stueey wrote: I loved their EPs over everything they've done. I'm not slating them and I don't wana be THAT guy, but songs like Curses and Hand of Blood we're just incredible. I just loved the aura the early E.P.s have!
    +1 - Hand of Blood still my fav bullet track.
    BwareDWare94
    Is this thread about Bullet for My Valentine, Trivium, ir Avenged Sevenfold? I'm so lost.
    Saky077
    Why is it all flame flame flame, hate hate hate with metal "fans" nowadays? So what if their last album wasn't so great? THEY ONLY HAVE 3 FUCKING ALBUMS! Two of which where amazing. Every band/musician is bound to have a mediocre album at least once in their career. Metallica has been putting out shitty albums for the past 10 years but i don't see anyone hating on them! Makes me sick to my ****ing stomach
    themetalpig
    So that means another terribly produced, souless, energy-less piece of crap! Fever was absolute garbage!
    SkepsisMetal
    bass-boy-garith wrote: bfmv_4_ever wrote: I think that hes already had an imprint on metal. hes one of my fav guitarest as well. They have left an imprint on core. But core isn't metal. This:
    is metal. Learn the difference brah.
    Oh grow up you little penis. I thought society had got over themselves with the whole "what i like is metal, what i don't like isn't metal" shenanigans. Apparently it left you behind... Anyway, it's up to the band. Not you whiny tards, although to be fair this is the most flame-free BFMV article I've ever seen on here. Kudos UG. I didn't particularly like Fever, but the first 2 albums and the EP were brilliant so I'm happy for them to carry on doing what they want. It's so easy for a band to think they want to be playing a certain genre only to find that they'd actually rather be doing something else. At least they didn't paint themselves into a corner too far before changing. I'm a big metal fan, but I've often doubted how well I could hold up as a metal performer and would probably be better off playing in a hard rock band. What's worse than an album like Fever, is a half arsed attempt at doing something they don't like just because some children can't suck it up and ignore it if they don't want to listen to it.
    Synysterwylde22
    fever was way below average. saf had its moments. the poison and hand of blood ep were awesome. casing point:either go back to your roots or get a tom-tom and find your way back to being heavy
    mysticguitar77
    guitarhero93 wrote: mysticguitar77 wrote: kingkerken wrote: mysticguitar77 wrote: BFMV is just creaping a little closer to becoming a hard rock band with each passing record... Kinda like A7X did, just going at a slightly slower pace. Which is a shame because I felt The Poison was a fairly solid metalcore album. But the difference between a7x and bullet is that a7x were following a plan they made. They wanted the first 2 to be heavy as and then the next 2 to be a lot softer/different. and also shadows's voice couldn't handle the screaming as well by the time they recorded the self title. I've never heard of a band following a "plan" before... I think the main reason why they became a softer band is because Shadows could no longer handle all the screaming that comes with metalcore. It's not that he couldn't handle it, he burst a blood vessell and was told not to do it anymore by his doctor Although when you see em live he tends to chuck a few screams in for good measure
    Bursting a blood vessell sounds like he couldn't handle it vocally or he was doing something seriously wrong vocally which led to the injury. I did see them live last summer on Uproar, he did sound pretty good. Maybe he's finally corrected what he was doing wrong vocally. I thought I read somewhere he's now working with a vocal coach so that would help.
    k3v1n shr3dz
    Why does everyone hate on the crusade? I think it's Trivium's best album by far. On Ascendancy, they'd be doing a good thrash-esque verse and in comes this saccarine Bon Jovi chorus that would totally sap the momentum out of EVERY SONG. And those "vocals".... I love death metal, so screaming/growling is cool with me, but he just did it badly. With the Crusade, we got more interesting song structures, more "technical" riffs, MUCH better solos. You can hear the bass, the drumming is pretty good for thrash, Heafy stopped doing his horrible hardcore shouting, and LEARNED TO SING.
    Maillouxlp18
    Okay, I have followed BFMV ever since the get go and their songs from the beginning are what got me into metal and wanting to play guitar. Without this band I do not think I would listen to the music I do today. People that are saying they have lost what they had and they are going downhill are not true BFMV fans at all! The only difference between there old stuff and new stuff is less screaming and insane riffs, they still have a unique and amazing sound! I have not heard one Bullet song that I have not enjoyed... ever! Saying that doesn't mean that I enjoy them all the same but to classify a whole album worse than another and saying it's garbage and the direction they are hiding is garbage is obscene. In my opinion The poison takes the top, then fever, and finally SAF; given this there are songs on SAF that trump some songs on the poison and so on. I personally like how they are progressing through the years because they are covering a wider area of metal types other than their early metalcore and if I wanna listen to some harder stuff I'll throw in The Poison and slap on My Fist or Her voice Resides or something, but you can't tell me that you don't enjoy some of their slowed down ballads?! All I have to say is you have to appreciate what they are doing and they are staying true to themselves and Matt Tuck enjoys slowing things down so I believe they are just finding their sound and no matter what it is I'm sure I'll love it! Although I must say that if their new album incorporates some songs similar to Hand of Blood (my fav) and Tears Don;t Fall and mix it with some Pretty on the Outside and Your Betrayal I will be extremely happy! Either way I cant wait for this new record to come out!! BFMV FTW!!
    guitarhero93
    Fever was an amazing album, they kinda get less heavy each time. SAF was amazing aswell so maybe if they went slightly heavier than fever and less heavy than SAF?
    guitarhero93
    mysticguitar77 wrote: kingkerken wrote: mysticguitar77 wrote: BFMV is just creaping a little closer to becoming a hard rock band with each passing record... Kinda like A7X did, just going at a slightly slower pace. Which is a shame because I felt The Poison was a fairly solid metalcore album. But the difference between a7x and bullet is that a7x were following a plan they made. They wanted the first 2 to be heavy as and then the next 2 to be a lot softer/different. and also shadows's voice couldn't handle the screaming as well by the time they recorded the self title. I've never heard of a band following a "plan" before... I think the main reason why they became a softer band is because Shadows could no longer handle all the screaming that comes with metalcore.
    It's not that he couldn't handle it, he burst a blood vessell and was told not to do it anymore by his doctor Although when you see em live he tends to chuck a few screams in for good measure
    ToxicNinjaPoo
    mysticguitar77 wrote: guitarhero93 wrote: mysticguitar77 wrote: kingkerken wrote: mysticguitar77 wrote: BFMV is just creaping a little closer to becoming a hard rock band with each passing record... Kinda like A7X did, just going at a slightly slower pace. Which is a shame because I felt The Poison was a fairly solid metalcore album. But the difference between a7x and bullet is that a7x were following a plan they made. They wanted the first 2 to be heavy as and then the next 2 to be a lot softer/different. and also shadows's voice couldn't handle the screaming as well by the time they recorded the self title. I've never heard of a band following a "plan" before... I think the main reason why they became a softer band is because Shadows could no longer handle all the screaming that comes with metalcore. It's not that he couldn't handle it, he burst a blood vessell and was told not to do it anymore by his doctor Although when you see em live he tends to chuck a few screams in for good measure Bursting a blood vessell sounds like he couldn't handle it vocally or he was doing something seriously wrong vocally which led to the injury. I did see them live last summer on Uproar, he did sound pretty good. Maybe he's finally corrected what he was doing wrong vocally. I thought I read somewhere he's now working with a vocal coach so that would help.
    Shadows NEVER got an injury, he wanted to get softer, If any of you bothered to research the truth, it's also on there documentary DVD, Also, A7X new album has a scream song which tops most of todays screams.
    mysticguitar77
    ToxicNinjaPoo wrote: Shadows NEVER got an injury, he wanted to get softer, If any of you bothered to research the truth, it's also on there documentary DVD, Also, A7X new album has a scream song which tops most of todays screams.
    Yeah, I didn't do any research, but I do know Shadows was definitely having problems with his voice and that's PARTLY not FULLY, the reason why they became softer. And sorry to offend a diehard fan, but Shadows screams are mediocre at the very best and at the very best, I'm talking back in the Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking The Fallen days and even those two albums are questionable vocally.
    deckerbastard69
    I love these guys first 2 albums, but Fever wasn't in my taste wasn't in my taste. So i wont be listening to anything new from them for a while.
    Zdsguitar
    hereticfive wrote: thats not what i wanted to hear. didnt like fever whatsoever but im a huge fan of this band. scream aim fire was their masterpiece and the poison was sick.
    Yeah I agree with ya there..I really liked The Poison and Hand of Blood, kinda liked SAF, mostly liked Waking The Demon off that lol..I hate that Bullet is gettin away from their old sound, it was so awesome!
    chestercheetah
    this guy is awesome he can shred but his solos on the albums are pretty weak i think him having a solo album would be kick ass
    arctic_jules
    c'mon guys we all know that "scream aim fire2 was the best album but give fever and the up-coming album a shot fever got his up and downs but its a good album and lets hope that the next ones get to the Scream aim fire level or at least close to it
    kingkerken
    ToxicNinjaPoo wrote: And sorry to offend a diehard fan, but Shadows screams are mediocre at the very best and at the very best, I'm talking back in the Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking The Fallen days and even those two albums are questionable vocally.
    kingkerken
    haha whoops. was gonna say but his screams have gotten really good since then if you've seen live in the LBC they're a million times better that the ones he did on the albums.
    El Logando
    The Poison was a masterpiece, and is still one of my favorite albums, despite me not being a huge metal fan. Scream Aim Fire had a couple good songs, but Fever was not my cup of tea. These guys kind of let go of what I thought made them unique. Now they just roll the double bass drum and put down a generic, uninspiring chord progression. I hope they get back to their roots eventually, but if not, I'll just keep playing The Poison.
    syuk90
    just proud of padge that his interview is much longer compared previously.. haha!
    Blessed_Bullet6
    The EP was bad ass. The Poison Was Beast [Nothing has compared (Yet)] Scream Aim Fire was Good, yet kinda let you kno that the next album would be trash. Fever, Like I Said Was Trash. Let's Hope The next album is nothing like it. =p
    a7x9269
    so in other words this record will continue to sound like every other record which just so happen to all sound like each other.
    Lr-Mtb
    Oooh the dissapointment. Loved their EP and 'The Poison' as well as a few on 'Scream Aim Fire', but not really a fan of Fever :/
    Schmjac
    Why does everyone hate Fever its a Good album not the bands best but it doesn't suck. By the way to all the haters Fever is better than anything you put out!
    Smokinjoerules1
    @Schmjac, Saying thats pretty lame really, u gotta remember, Most of us on here arnt trying to release an album anyway, but i sorta see wer ur coming from, i just wudnt use that excuse to single out the haters