Dave Mustaine Talks Politics And Music

Megadeth mainman Dave Mustaine discusses various topics, including the title track of the new album.

Dave Mustaine Talks Politics And Music
0
Bryan Reesman of Metal Edge magazine recently conducted an interview with Megadeth mainman Dave Mustaine.
  • On the title track of the new album, "United Abominations", with its harsh criticism of the United Nations: There are a lot of songs on the record that you could have as the title track, but I just thought that 'United Abominations' fit, given [that] what's been going on the last five years is so outrageous. When I was younger, there was one incident where a Russian diplomat was absolutely inebriated, drove through a stop sign and killed an American in New York City, then was let off because of diplomatic immunity. If anything, he should have had to have some kind of restitution for taking a human life while driving a vehicle out of his mind on alcohol. If anything, they should have recalled him and punished him at home for manslaughter. As far as I remember, nothing happened. That made me start looking at what the U.N. stood for, and I started seeing stuff like the 'oil for food' crisis and finding out that one Secretary General was a former Nazi, and another guy was a former spy. I feel really safe having these guys run the world's organization to prevent war and promote peace. There's a new movie coming out called 'You and Me', which I had some involvement in, and it's basically the 'Fahrenheit 9/11' for the U.N. I think once people see some of the stuff, they're going to be so blown away. Just the trailer that I saw that made me commit to being part of the movie was so unnerving." The somewhat bluesy new Megadeth song "Amerikhastan" takes a critical look at what is going on in American life, but its lyrics really could be co-opted by both conservatives and liberals in terms of what it stands for. At one point, a line abut the Statue of Liberty being tattooed with "Property of the USA, a subsidiary of Halliburton" is soon contrasted with the battle cry, "Hey, Jihad Joe, guess what? We're coming to get you!" This lyrical schizophrenia recalls Mustaine talking to different aspects of himself in "Sweating Bullets". "I think being able to see something through a kaleidoscope instead of a magnifying glass is so much more beautiful in the long run because it's not always my opinion or perspective that's right," asserts Mustaine of the song's double-edge meaning. "There is more than one way to approach things. Sun Tzu said about good generalship, [that] if you meet an opponent head-on, you're certainly going to have a battle, but in order to win sometimes you're going to have to flank them. I look at a lot of that stuff and think that it totally makes sense." Mustaine has certainly been outspoken about his views on politics. He even admonished Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello and the Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines for allegedly having hypocritical stances during an interview with Pit magazine in 2004. "I think as far as politics are concerned in music, most musicians shouldn't say anything unless they're willing to get into the trenches and fight," contends Mustaine. "I put in my Selective Service card when I was 18, but I didn't get drafted. In 1992 I went to the White House with the Rock the Vote campaign for the Democratic National Convention coverage. I was a participant in getting a bill passed into law, so I am ingrained in the history of this country. I'm probably one of the very few musicians, and the only one in metal that I know of [to do that]. But I'm also the unofficial elected official of the disenfranchised youth of America. I can get into the focus groups and actually say what is relevant. Even though I'm not 18 anymore or struggling with Stridex and testosterone, I do still have an 18-year-old inside of me." Metal Edge's entire interview with Dave Mustaine can be found in the magazine's July 2007 issue, available on newsstands now. Thanks for the report to Blabbermouth.net.
  • 92 comments sorted by best / new / date

    comments policy
      tai1221
      Silentlassassin wrote: you can't deny that Dave makes soom good points, but it's still the simple fact that it gets dull when he talks about the same thing over and over again. I just picked you as an example but,everybody gets mad when an artist changes,and you guys are saying shit,cause he isnt changing,what is with that? Everyone got mad with Green Day cause they changed,and didnt stay the pot smoking goof offs they were when they were young.He doesnt seem to care,he likes politics,atleast arguing about them,so leave the whole thing to the artist,dont say shit,you can turn off the radio and stop buying the cds. He is an amazing artist, just get out of politics and religion...
      sp0ckr0cks
      i share alot of Dave's views on alot of things, and United Abominations will pwn.
      Chewy120
      all i know is that the new album is awsome and thats all that matters at the end of the day
      tai1221
      tai1221 wrote: Silentlassassin wrote: you can't deny that Dave makes soom good points, but it's still the simple fact that it gets dull when he talks about the same thing over and over again. He is an amazing artist, just get out of politics and religion...
      I just picked you as an example but,everybody gets mad when an artist changes,and you guys are saying shit,cause he isnt changing,what is with that? Everyone got mad with Green Day cause they changed,and didnt stay the pot smoking goof offs they were when they were young.He doesnt seem to care,he likes politics,atleast arguing about them,so leave the whole thing to the artist,dont say shit,you can turn off the radio and stop buying the cds.*Corrected
      1llusionz
      Just keep the riffs coming mustaine and it is all good. BTW, Megadeth always been political, it's nothing new.
      beto/doom_krew
      just like the shirt i bought from the heaven and hell show. "held hostage by oil for food" and that lyric from one of the new album
      boxcarblink94
      i'm not going to take any political opinions away from someone who would rather look at issues through a kaleidoscope rather than a magnifying glass.
      OffspringPhreak
      It's awesome to know that at least some people say what's on their mind without pussing out. Mustaine and Megadeth rule.
      troyponce
      Timmy: Name anything in the US gov't that has a 90% approval rating. And to the rest of you: Knock the UN all you want, but it is an overall positive force in the world. It certainly isn't perfect, but it's not worth scrapping. Want to bitch? Talk about the WTO and World Bank creating situations that will invariable circle developing nations deeper and deeper into debt in order to keep the global market slanted towards those who are already major powers.
      Renfordoggz
      lemme just restate my point the UN isn't corrupt it's aim is spoilt by the selfish interests of certain countries within it. nd yea i'm new to megadeth so i hope this album is interesting
      dovic
      You american people seem to have some troubles... Come in Italy! We have mafia, corrupted politicians, ipocrital Vatican, unsafe jobs, fiscal evasion, newspapers slaves of politics... and you know what? We're so ignorant that we don't give a flying ****!
      Aidsteen
      Why is it that most people seem to be asking about what his viewpoint is? Who cares. Will it affect yours? The guy's writing political songs, leave it at that.. Don't look for his alignment.
      POWERMETAL!
      "I'm also the unofficial elected official of the disenfranchised youth of America." Dave is amazing, everytime i read another interview with him he just says something else to make me like him/ his views that much more! from what i've heard the album is amazing and the song ideas are fantastic. another 2 thumbs for Mustaine and the Megadeth crew.
      HellrzngPinhead
      A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. Thomas Jefferson
      fluffylump2
      mister bass guy : hey, why don't we actually listen to bands who know what they're talking about when it comes to politics and religion? maybe u2? not some grade "A" bullshit guitarist who's on pot.
      wow he has long hair so he must be a "bullshit guitarist who's on pot." you have no idea of what or of whom you speak.
      metal Lover
      metal4timmy wrote: LMAO - Megadeth has ALWAYS been politically controversial with its lyrics...HELLO!! its nothing new, so why are so many people all like "WOW, I can't believe it?" DUH! Where you all been? Peace Sells, ever here it? Or how about Holy Wars? Listen to the Countdown to Extinction album, I mean really. How about The System has Failed, what do you think that name is saying? Mustaine has always been against the corrupt governments running this world, DE DE DEEE!!! As far as some fans getting tired of his political themes - thats who he is, he is a very smart guy who has deep thoughts. You want shallow lyrics listen to green day. And just for the record, Dave isn't trying to make every one think the way he does or agree with him on everything, he is just trying to make people THINK!! When 90% of the people in this country will blindly follow a proven corrupt government like sheep, blindly accepting everything that government says as fact then it is obviously time we alldo what we can andstart THINKING for OURSELVES. People criticise Dave saying his song writing isnt really doing anything, BS! He's using the best tool available to him the best way he knos how which is more than any of you can say! And the thing is, its working. Just the fact that all of YOU are here arguing over what his messages are is proof of that. If you need more proof start skimming over the tons of other message boards.
      -10 points for the Carlos Mencia quote. I almost agreed with you.
      MTVget0FFtheAIR
      of course people don't like the UN. the UN can't be successfull because it really has no power...it's basically the queen of england...
      solidruler21
      I personally don't see Mustaine as having a big ego....okay so he has a slight ego. Well, he may not be for EVERYONE, but in some ways he is "the unofficial elected official of the disenfranchised youth of America." He was in the 1980s and in some ways he still is in the new millenium. Just because you don't think so doesn't mean you should flame him. You have the right to flame him, but that doesn't mean you should. =)
      morello_man
      Idiot. Tom Morello is a Harvard qualified political scientist, argghh. He does have a right to comment.
      Crazy Horse
      people probably only talk of mustaine as if he is megadeth because he is the frontman. let alone the only original member. wen u think of metallica, do u think of lars or hetfield or kirk?
      fukthaemos
      GeekStinkBreath wrote: ^ I would listen to Tom Morello long before I ever listened to the idiot that is Dave Mustaine.
      ok but why duz that make mustaine an idiot? and who really cares who u would rather listen to, ur to closed minded to appreciate the true value of the music...dumbass
      fukthaemos
      ok look here, what would u rather have, mustaine singin about how messed up the government really is? or being emo like my chemical romance and all those crybabies? he talks about what few musicians do, how messed up the government is, and how no government is doin their job, all he has is his words to try to get it thro sumones head, and all u *****s can do is say "o we are tired of him and politics" " oh waaaa mustaine and politics again" mustaine is a better musician than he gets credit for, look at his older stuff, priceless and enough to blow ur ears out, so u dumbasses out there need to realize what is megadeth, and its everything that comes with the music, band, and lyrics, thats how it is, **** off and die! mustaine for president!!
      ldnovelo
      dont wanna be a UN idiot tatata tantan tutu ta tan tun (with the american idiot rithym)
      Crazy Horse
      that wasnt on topic..but i thought i read people up at the top talkin about mustaine isnt a solo artist and such...but still...putting this asside, this is a very solid lineup. everything is so incheck.
      GeekStinkBreath
      fukthaemos wrote: GeekStinkBreath wrote: ^ I would listen to Tom Morello long before I ever listened to the idiot that is Dave Mustaine. ok but why duz that make mustaine an idiot? and who really cares who u would rather listen to, ur to closed minded to appreciate the true value of the music...dumbass
      Who's really the closeminded one here. Me, the one who called Mustaine and idiot, or You, the one who called me a dumbass because of my opinion. Have fun with that.
      guitarman47
      U.P wrote: geetarguy92 wrote: i respect his opinions but i think he needs to get broader lyrical subjects because i know of some fans who are getting bored of the whole political thing i think it a much better stance than acting all pissy and saying you want to kill everyone in the world because your angry.... what these guys are singing about is what we need in this world right now.
      +1
      NightwhoSaysNee
      Yeah Mustaine might be an arrogent dick, yeah musicians talking politics is about as cool and new as the concept of the world being round, but all of that aside, you have to respect a man you stands up and speaks out for what he believes. That and he actually acts on it, not just stop at words. Keep rockin' Dave.
      schizz
      TheUnholy wrote: Wow, how god damn stuck up is he? Unelected representative for the youth of today? Not this f*cking youth, dude. I like people representing me to be driven by principle, not ego.
      The reason he said that is because just about nobody else in the music business or really any media-based business has any political view or voices them as they should. He was poking fun at himself for how it makes him seem as if he's speaking for everyone else. Grow some wit.
      Styx
      Tehzekester wrote: Dave Mustaine is a guitar playing god and a great songwriter as far as I'm concerned. He's really made me think with the new album. We need more people like him. Mustaine for President.
      Agree
      Shreddin 4 Life
      awesome, can't wait til my buddy receives it (new album) so he can give it me (as a b-day gift tmorrow)
      x_themetalfan_x
      So what if Mustaine has a big ego? I'm glad he's not a meek little limp dicked pussy like most musicians. Megadeth wins, Mustaine for president, yadda yadda. It's great metal, he's a great artist, and I have to agree with his view of the UN.
      dann_blood
      Mustaine has a hugely over-inflated ego.
      But I'm also the unofficial elected official of the disenfranchised youth of America.
      Anybody who thinks this statement makes him godly, then you should get off the internet. As for him participating in passing something into law, ive signed a bunch of petitions to try and pass laws, some of them successful. Who gives a ****? And saying Morello hasnt been in the trenches, Morello gets rallies going, Morello and Rage have done alot of anti-government action. And his criticism of the UN is ridiculous. The UN do what they can. Imagine for a second what things would be like without the UN!? Lebanon would still be getting bombed, East Timor would be in civil war, the Gaza strip clash would still be raging on. He should get his head out of his arse and stop criticising things he thinks he knows more about than he really does.
      bassboy 999
      mustaine just like everyone else, including tom morello has the freedom of speech, the right to say whatever the hell he wants about anything. i disagree with his comments towards tom morello, but then again, if morello was realy serious about politics then he wouldnt have left ratm to play beach songs with f****g chris cornell. bottom line, mustaine is an *****. and i love him. Megadeth Rule!
      fnoof
      Dave is a guitar god. He has every ****ing right to be up himself, we need more people like him today, not rap metal Twatwits like Tom Morrello, although Mustaine is wrong, Morrello does practice what he preaches. The point is, only musicians as influential as Dave should doub in politics because its people like Dave that the youth of today will listen to.
      Silentlassassin wrote: you can't deny that Dave makes soom good points, but it's still the simple fact that it gets dull when he talks about the same thing over and over again. He is an amazing artist, just get out of politics and religion...
      Asshole...Megadeth would not be megadeth without that element of defiance and they certainly wouldnt be half as big if they hadnt released albums under that very theme just like Peace sells but whos buying. Long live Mustaine
      Big Tommy P
      this is the first review i've read on this site where the majority of the comments are sensible, mature, modal, witty and not going on about "the feud", i needn't say more, just a relief to read comments that aren't focused on non-sensical boobery. go megadeth
      Renfordoggz
      to be fair the UN is trying to do it's job but it's like the League of Nations before it, it tries but the attitudes and egos of certain nations within it prevent it from working towards a noble purpose. currently notably america as it contributes financially to the U.N can literally control it....nyways enough of the politics
      UncleCthulhu
      Hahah this is hilarious. Bands that makes political music but don't do anything are seen as okay, but as soon as a musician that makes political music actually gets involved with politics people see him as an egotist. Hypocrits.
      jonnyharris1
      I sorry but where in that statement does he directly insult tom morello;it doesnt , I think thats the journalist trying to stir things up