Eddie Van Halen Talks About His New EVH Wolfgang Guitar

Eddie Van Halen discusses the making of his new EVH Wolfgang guitar from Fender.

Eddie Van Halen Talks About His New EVH Wolfgang Guitar
0
Eddie Van Halen rarely does interviewsbut he has granted one to Guitar World magazine for the cover of their February issue, on sale Dec. 16. In the exclusive one-on-one interview with the Van Halen legend, Ed discusses the making of his new EVH Wolfgang guitar from Fender. Van Halen tells Guitar World, "This guitar is a culmination of my 35 years of experimenting with guitars. Everything that I've destroyed, stumbled onto, learned and experienced in my journey to get to where we are now is in this guitar. And there is a lot more to come." Throughout the interview with Guitar World writer Chris Gill, which took place in a workshop at the EVH/FMIC (Fender Musical Instrument Corporation) factory, Van Halen details the painstaking process of designing and constructing the EVH Wolfgang. "The tolerance of things on this guitar is like NASA standards. It had to be tight, and it had to be quality. Le Mans is probably the most important race on the planet. It's 24 hoursa grueling, brutal race. There's a reason why an Audi R8 won that race three years in a row [2000-2002]. Those guys did what we did with this guitar. They paid attention to every damn detail. You can't say, 'Oh, that will do.' No, it won't do." On the subject of new Van Halen music, the guitarist had this to say: "I'll be making music 'til the day I die. I've done all kinds of stuff, and more is coming. I can't tell you exactly when right now. Wolfgang is in the 12th grade and he needs to graduate first. Then I'm getting married in June. We'll pick it up after that." To read more of this interview, and to see new photos of Ed and the EVH Wolfgang guitar, click here.

83 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    odd_cause
    the peavey wolfgangs were awesome guitars, im pretty sure these will be similar.
    xXChimairaXx
    Anjohl wrote: Maybe because EVH is a massively influential, innovative, GODFATHER of shred/metal..and Dime was a decent player who only got ANY credit because he got shot. Flame away, but it's fact. One guy INVENTED tapping...the other guy hid behind a wah pedal.
    That's why Eddie put his yellow/black guitar in Dime's coffin at his funeral because he said that that guitar was a favorite of Dime's. Yep he was so much of an average player EVH did that for no reason. Let your brain think about what your going to say before it comes out your rear.
    Kaz3-6-0
    tands wrote: does he just make guitars these days or music too?
    I think he's making the guitars to make the music
    metal4ever6328
    Anjohl wrote: Maybe because EVH is a massively influential, innovative, GODFATHER of shred/metal..and Dime was a decent player who only got ANY credit because he got shot. Flame away, but it's fact. One guy INVENTED tapping...the other guy hid behind a wah pedal.
    Hid behind a whah pedal? What the f are you blabbling about?
    SilverSpurs616
    twistedmaggot wrote: well that's the ugliest thing i've seen all day, and i've been at work with a fatty.
    Well that was the funniest thing I've read all day, and I read a Paramore tab.
    Rogue Hermit
    i wouldn't think fender would be able to use the wolfgang name. i thought that was a peavey guitar, that looked exactly the same? anyways, as nice as it is that he's still designing guitars, i know i'm never going to own a signature guitar.
    tands
    Anjohl wrote: One guy INVENTED tapping
    his name his Emmett Chapman not Eddie Van Halen, van halen is overrated to the max
    Metallicam
    Anjohl wrote: Maybe because EVH is a massively influential, innovative, GODFATHER of shred/metal..and Dime was a decent player who only got ANY credit because he got shot. Flame away, but it's fact. One guy INVENTED tapping...the other guy hid behind a wah pedal.
    Agreed, with the exception of "hiding behind a wah pedal". The guitars are decent looking I guess. I'm pretty sure this ain't front page material as far as news goes.
    stompbox
    tands wrote:i think it's like a good drug you dont know witch one to do first .i guess to hime it's like hell i'll make a new guitar today to pass my time you know ,hell i wish i had that in me .all that to him is like walking when you know it that will you dont even thnk about it .but you got say it's bad guitar tho. does he just make guitars these days or music too?
    EndOfNothing656
    Ibzman wrote: Tabassco wrote: "...to Guitar World magazine for the cover of their February issue, on sale Dec. 16..." Hilarious. Indeed, they've always done that but I never understood why..
    Its so damn stupid, I really wish they would just go with each month
    LazySandman
    it's a shame Eddy's going with Fender for it... but still probably worth looking into more since he's one of the last guys I'd try to argue with about tone...
    DCobsession
    EVH is SO over rated...was a pioneer, and is obviously good IMO, but very over rated.and his stuff is so overpriced that it is insulting. I want something to tune my Floyd Rose down, but wont even spend $50 on a d-tune cause it has his name on it
    Future
    @ Soroki: that's because he got shot a few years ago... On topic: the guitar looks kinda strange.. it'll probably play and sound fantastic.. But I don't like the way it looks...
    Mortalitas
    It might just be me, but i could swear he looks completely different on every picture i have ever seen of him.
    RockInPeaceDime
    Anjohl wrote: Maybe because EVH is a massively influential, innovative, GODFATHER of shred/metal..and Dime was a decent player who only got ANY credit because he got shot. Flame away, but it's fact. One guy INVENTED tapping...the other guy hid behind a wah pedal.
    Will come across as biased, but I don't care. First, EVH didn't invent tapping in any way, shape or form. That's like saying Dime invented the high squeal harmonics. Completely factually incorrect on both accounts. Two, most people have been fans since before the murder and many people became fans of Dime not even aware he was dead. Sure, you have the random 13-14 year old that glorifies him solely because he is a "martyr for metal," but that is by no means a majority. Three, Dime used the wah pedal very fiscally. Kirk hides behind a wah pedal, Dime didn't in any way. Even when he did use it, he didn't go ****ing nuts with it, he used it like it was supposed to be used. Finally, neither one of them is worth insulting. They both did their fair share of making music, inspiring, and flat out entertaining. Stop comparing any guitarists, it's damn annoying.
    ILoveGuitar07
    SERIALTRENDKILL wrote: the Peavey HP special is unbelievable.
    I'd still rather have the Peavey HP Special than this evh guitar. the hp special feels way more balanced and right to me than eddies previous peavey guitars, this new "evh" one looks just like the old peavey wolfgang, which is still a nice guitar, but I think the HP's are better.
    VH-5150
    Yeah well you proberbly wouldn't look that good either if you were his age! Anyway, it's not about the looks, everyone likes him because of his style and music!
    trendkill- wrote: He doesnt look good anymore.
    yenners
    wait maybe that was a bit negative... lets hype it up more! hype hype hype!
    TooFast
    I do not like that guitar. Just kinda..ugly? I don't know.
    SilverSpurs616 wrote: twistedmaggot wrote: well that's the ugliest thing i've seen all day, and i've been at work with a fatty. Well that was the funniest thing I've read all day, and I read a Paramore tab.
    :rollseyes:
    Bass-man43
    how is he a Class A dumbass? Any info that goes through Wiki is fact checked and 90% of the time is a reliable resource. And anyone who is talking crap about dime doesn't know wtf they are talking about. He was 10x the player EVH was and ever will be. Eddie didn't invent shit all you fan boys should check your facts that tapping is a classical technique.
    Kevin Saale
    Bass-man43 wrote: And anyone who is talking crap about dime doesn't know wtf they are talking about. He was 10x the player EVH was and ever will be. Eddie didn't invent shit all you fan boys should check your facts that tapping is a classical technique.
    Hmm, I wouldn't say that, Dime was a very good player, but he didn't invent was is pretty much the modern soloing technique as we know it (and no, I'm not referring to tapping). Dime could play fast and wrote some pretty melodious solos, but he seemed pretty caught up in making silly noises with his whammy and wah pedal and seeing how much gain a randall heads had. If he didn't get shot there wouldn't be fanboys lining up to throw dimbuckers in their 100 dean v's, plain and simple.
    Sonic Blast
    Anjohl wrote: Maybe because EVH is a massively influential, innovative, GODFATHER of shred/metal..and Dime was a decent player who only got ANY credit because he got shot. Flame away, but it's fact. One guy INVENTED tapping...the other guy hid behind a wah pedal.
    last i checked, ULrich Roth of the Scorpions was the one who pretty much invented Shred Metal. EVH came second.
    yenners
    they spent more time in this article talking about Le Mans and Nasa than they did the guitar..basically jack all was said, i'm surprised it's even newsworthy =P
    ILoveGuitar07
    look just like the peavey, except a slight different headstock. In fact at first I was sure it was the old peavey and I was disapointed becuase I didn't get to see the new ones....but I looked into it more and found out it was...
    Shread_6009
    Eddie Van Halen rarely does interviewsbut he has granted one to Guitar World magazine for the cover of their February issue, on sale Dec. 16.
    guitarworld does a cover of EVH at least 3 times a year, no matter what. even though van halen haven't done anything worth note for over a decade, cept a reunion with roth, he gets so much coverage. and he does loads of interviews. i love his guitar work, bout enoughs enough. write a good new song or just disappear
    myoxisguitarguy : I love how people can just drag other muscians into the conversation when he wasn't part of it. I love Dime and Eddie, from what Ive heard and read Ed invented or brought forth pinch harmonics. and Dime does have his own sig wah.
    "pinch harmonics"? he did tapping, not pinch harmonics. zz top has been doing it for at least 10 years before, and gibbons didnt even invent it. be carefull with what you say before you post
    Ibzman
    Cutlass_253 wrote: It looks ok. Its kinda funky, like they tried to mix a strat with a Les Paul, and just kinda picked the oddest looking offspring. But from how they're describing it, it should play like gold. Probably gonna cost its weight in it too.
    It'll be just like his MusicMan guitars I think and those don't even weight 8lbs.. I tried few of them and they play like no other. If he has better what they've done for him in the past, this will definitely be worth the price.
    scottishmob
    ooftymcgoofty wrote: how come all the dimebag guitars get crud for cashing in on the dimebag name, but now evh is on his THIRD company (fourth counting some charvel evh style guitars i've seen) and gets away with it?! how many signature guitars does one guy need?!
    Probably because... EVH isn't dead! That means he has a part in the signature models.
    Anjohl
    Maybe because EVH is a massively influential, innovative, GODFATHER of shred/metal..and Dime was a decent player who only got ANY credit because he got shot. Flame away, but it's fact. One guy INVENTED tapping...the other guy hid behind a wah pedal.