Halestorm Singer: 'A Lot Of People Don't Realize The Guts It Takes To Be A Woman In Rock'

Valerie Bastien of RockSource360.com recently conducted an interview with Halestorm singer Lzzy Hale.

Halestorm Singer: 'A Lot Of People Don't Realize The Guts It Takes To Be A Woman In Rock'
1
Valerie Bastien of RockSource360.com recently conducted an interview with Halestorm singer Lzzy Hale. A couple of Blabbermouth excerpts from the chat follow below. RockSource360.com: "The Strange Case Of..." came out [in April]. That's very exciting. What comes to mind when you think back on the writing and recording of this album? What has been the fans' response for far? Lzzy: Well, not to sound redundant, but it was very strange! Haha! It was very challenging and freeing at the same time to work on this record. I discovered a lot about myself while writing it, and I'm so proud of the final product. The fans response has been amazing thus far! Lzzy, I love the girl with an attitude vibe in the song "Love Bites (So Do I)". What is the biggest misconception about women in heavy metal and who is your favorite female role model? I think a lot of people don't realize the guts it takes to be a woman in rock... We have to carve out our own path, and make our own rules, because there are none. We have to go against everything society has told us we should be, embrace our power.... AND still hold on to our femininity somehow! By far my favorite role model is Pat Benatar. I love the lyrics in "Beautiful With You". Tell us about how this song relates to image problems and low self-esteem so many girls deal with, How does self-love and acceptance impact your life and why is it so important? Believe me, I don't always feel like a rock star, and there are times when I look in the mirror and scream. Especially emotionally. I used to hide a lot of my feelings of insecurity and powerlessness, and just wouldn't reach out to someone because I thought it meant that I was weak if I did. I wanted people to see that it's OK to need a shoulder sometimes, and to have those "ugly days" and to let down your guard. We're human and we're not perfect... don't let those thoughts in your head rule your life and prevent you from opening yourself up. You're very pretty and feminine in a male-dominated environment. I like how you can let the girly side of you come out through your hair style and clothes for example. Where do you like to shop and how do you choose your concert outfits? What is the best part of being a woman? Thank you! It was always important to me to be a f--kin woman on stage, not a girl trying to be a man. I make most of my own outfits, swipe them from video shoots, or I acquire them from strange shops around the world. The best part of being a woman is the power that comes with being able to play with the boys... but in stilettos. Read the entire interview from RockSource360.com.

18 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    metallimaiden90
    I think women in rock often take the easy road because of their reception by the public. Let's take Orianthi for example. Her music is typical pop , nothing new or exciting, and even her song with Steve Vai is decent at best , mostly with basic pentatonic licks. But she's still quite successful and famous. That's because most guys can't get over the fact that it's "OMG! A hot girl with a guitar! Marry me!" and a lot of female guitarists see her as a role model simply because she's a woman who plays guitar. Trust me , if she were a guy , she wouldn't have even made it out of her bedroom. This is just a general observation , and obviously there are a lot of exceptions to this.
    scimitar_255
    Pol-Pot-Smoker wrote: She's stunningly hot. I'm done here.
    And that is exactly why it takes guts to be a woman in rock, because 9 times out of 10 that is exactly the reaction.
    CollyOBrien
    scimitar_255 wrote: Pol-Pot-Smoker wrote: She's stunningly hot. I'm done here. And that is exactly why it takes guts to be a woman in rock, because 9 times out of 10 that is exactly the reaction.
    ...but that probably wouldn't be the reaction if the music wasn't shockingly generic!
    Ultraussie
    Sticking on topic here, Healstorm are totally commericial mediocre rockband using their female singer as a marketing tool And her attitudes wrong "Hurr durr sometimes I don't feel like a rockstar" Yep. People who call themselves rockstars I hate. We're all musicians here, and if you call yourself a rockstar, your making music for people who dont understand music. The way I see it, we are all muso's who listen to music and we're in our own bands and people listen to our bands etc We're not above our fanbase, we are the fanbase
    Pol-Pot-Smoker
    CollyOBrien wrote: scimitar_255 wrote: Pol-Pot-Smoker wrote: She's stunningly hot. I'm done here. And that is exactly why it takes guts to be a woman in rock, because 9 times out of 10 that is exactly the reaction. ...but that probably wouldn't be the reaction if the music wasn't shockingly generic!
    Beat me to it, dude. I listen to many other hot girls in rock and I don't go all "sexist huur duur". Also, there's no problem with stating a fact, there is?
    ESPVpr104
    haygoe wrote: ESPVpr104 wrote: I honestly would like Halestorm a lot more if they didn't sound so "radio". It sucks I have to say that but it's the ONLY way I feel I can word it, even after 'Strange Case Of' there's really not much variety to their themes and such like I had really hoped for. On a sidenote: To anyone wanting to hear an AWESOME female-fronted band, check out Royal Thunder. I saw them open for Valient Thorr and they ruled! here we go again with the complaint "their to radio" well for FUCKS sake can you blame them for wanting to be successful i mean danm do you want every band to be like ****ing canibal corpse
    When did I EVER mention I wanted HALESTORM to sound like CANNIBAL CORPSE!? You moron!! I have Skeletonwitch for that. I don't want a band I listen to to sing about sex, love and shitty relationships through all their damn songs! I had high hopes for Strange Case, but I can't listen to it without switching to something else. If you want to be successful, sing about generic themes as the ones mentioned above. In this day and age, that'll be more than enough. And learn how to type with some decent grammar like the human being with a brain I hope you are.
    ESPVpr104
    I honestly would like Halestorm a lot more if they didn't sound so "radio". It sucks I have to say that but it's the ONLY way I feel I can word it, even after 'Strange Case Of' there's really not much variety to their themes and such like I had really hoped for. On a sidenote: To anyone wanting to hear an AWESOME female-fronted band, check out Royal Thunder. I saw them open for Valient Thorr and they ruled!
    TheExterminator
    scimitar_255 wrote: Pol-Pot-Smoker wrote: She's stunningly hot. I'm done here. And that is exactly why it takes guts to be a woman in rock, because 9 times out of 10 that is exactly the reaction.
    Try being a man, knowing nine times out of ten the only reason women show any interest in Metal is because of us guys with long hair. I feel so.. so OBJECTIFIED. Women want me and think I'm hot, and it makes me feel like less of a human being. QQQQQ. No. The only bad thing about that is that they're a bunch of posers who don't genuinely enjoy Metal, and make it worse by pretending they do.
    haygoe wrote: so your saying that if their music was more like arch-enemy people would respect them more? yeah right if they were like that nobody would give a **** about
    No, because Arch Enemy sucks and Angela Gossow's vocals are horribly generic, too. Now Detente, with Dawn Crosby, or Sacrilege, with Lynda Simpsons, or Acid, or Mythic, Jex Thoth, or Thorr's Hammer, or, or, or.. You see, women don't need to be in incredibly generic mallcore bands to be in Metal. If they were actually good, they would be treated good. Guys get the exact same deal. Make good music, reap the rewards. Make shit music that is a disgrace to Metal, and feel the wrath.
    Nero Galon
    My friends went to see either Shinedown or Black Stone Cherry and Halestorm were supporting. They said that the majority of the men there were just stood still staring at her... She must get that a lot
    Spekulus
    This interview sounded like it was conducted in 1970. As it happens I thought they were pretty good when I saw them a couple of months ago but that was probably helped by the fact she doesn't look like a pig as the lyrics are a bit toss. Dom Lawson said everything else I'd add in his review of their album. Ironically Angela Gossow does look like a bloke and I think her music is amazing.
    haygoe
    TheExterminator wrote: scimitar_255 wrote: Pol-Pot-Smoker wrote: She's stunningly hot. I'm done here. And that is exactly why it takes guts to be a woman in rock, because 9 times out of 10 that is exactly the reaction. Try being a man, knowing nine times out of ten the only reason women show any interest in Metal is because of us guys with long hair. I feel so.. so OBJECTIFIED. Women want me and think I'm hot, and it makes me feel like less of a human being. QQQQQ. No. The only bad thing about that is that they're a bunch of posers who don't genuinely enjoy Metal, and make it worse by pretending they do. haygoe wrote: so your saying that if their music was more like arch-enemy people would respect them more? yeah right if they were like that nobody would give a **** about No, because Arch Enemy sucks and Angela Gossow's vocals are horribly generic, too. Now Detente, with Dawn Crosby, or Sacrilege, with Lynda Simpsons, or Acid, or Mythic, Jex Thoth, or Thorr's Hammer, or, or, or.. You see, women don't need to be in incredibly generic mallcore bands to be in Metal. If they were actually good, they would be treated good. Guys get the exact same deal. Make good music, reap the rewards. Make shit music that is a disgrace to Metal, and feel the wrath.
    when you say that Angela Gossow's vocals are horribly generic, you mean that super intence screamo music is WAY WAY WAY too popular than it should be then you would be correct
    haygoe
    ESPVpr104 wrote: I honestly would like Halestorm a lot more if they didn't sound so "radio". It sucks I have to say that but it's the ONLY way I feel I can word it, even after 'Strange Case Of' there's really not much variety to their themes and such like I had really hoped for. On a sidenote: To anyone wanting to hear an AWESOME female-fronted band, check out Royal Thunder. I saw them open for Valient Thorr and they ruled!
    here we go again with the complaint "their to radio" well for FUCKS sake can you blame them for wanting to be successful i mean danm do you want every band to be like ****ing canibal corpse
    diabolical
    Huge guts...if she were a guy noone would listen to the generic schlock she puts out.
    haygoe
    CollyOBrien wrote: scimitar_255 wrote: Pol-Pot-Smoker wrote: She's stunningly hot. I'm done here. And that is exactly why it takes guts to be a woman in rock, because 9 times out of 10 that is exactly the reaction. ...but that probably wouldn't be the reaction if the music wasn't shockingly generic!
    so your saying that if their music was more like arch-enemy people would respect them more? yeah right if they were like that nobody would give a **** about
    Ultraussie
    ^Who the hell just said Arch Enemy was screamo? Shame on you. Also, Angela Gassow sucks. A true female metal vocalist is Allisa White Gluz from the Agonist. Cleans, growls and screams and black metal shreiks. All Angela gassow does is rasp her throat and groan.