Hit The Lights: Showdown Axeman: 'I Don't Care If My Mailman Believes In God Or Not'

Robert Gray telephoned The Showdown guitarist Josh Childers to discuss "Blood In The Gears".

Hit The Lights: Showdown Axeman: 'I Don't Care If My Mailman Believes In God Or Not'
0
Being labelled a Christian act can have both positive and negative effects; while it attracts the attention of some Christian music fans, some atheist and / or non-Christian music fans are put off by the label. While some Christian acts use music as a soapbox for converting believers to their cause, others don't. Despite believing in the Christian faith, some aren't as overtly influenced on a musical level. Sometimes it's all too easy to judge a book by its cover, and arrive at the wrong conclusion. Do The Showdown fall under that definition? Recorded and produced by The Showdown bassist Jeremiah Scott at his home studio - Nashville, Tennessee's Anthem Productions - "Blood In The Gears" was mixed by Steve Blackmon (Living Sacrifice, Project 86) with Troy Glessener at Spectre handling mastering duties. On the track "Graveyard Of Empires", Destroy Destroy Destroy vocalist Chris Bazor makes a guest appearance. Demon Hunter's Ryan Clark, working for Invisible Creature Inc. meanwhile, designed the album's artwork. To promote "Blood In The Gears", a music video was filmed for the track "The Man Named Hell". "Blood In The Gears'" personnel consists of; vocalist David Bunton, guitarist / vocalist Josh Bunton, bassist Jeremiah Scott, guitarist Patrick Judge (also of Demon Hunter), and drummer Isaac Harris. The Showdown's fourth studio album "Blood In The Gears" was released on August 24th, 2010 through Solid State Records, and is the group's second full-length to be issued through that label following 2008's "Back Breaker". Mono Vs Stereo was The Showdown's previous label, via which they issued: "A Chorus Of Obliteration" (2004), "Temptation Come My Way" (2006), and "Feel Like Hell EP" (2007). On September 16th at 21:00 GMT, Hit The Lights' Robert Gray telephoned The Showdown guitarist Josh Childers to discuss "Blood In The Gears". Josh Childers: Hello? UG: Hello. Is this Josh? Yes it is. This is Robert Gray from Ultimate-Guitar.com. Oh, right on. How are you Josh? Fine. How are you doing? I'm doing ok. Would it be alright if I began the interview? Yeah. First of all, could you talk me through how 'Blood In The Gears' came into being? From the start of the album process, to the completion of the finished product? Yeah. Basically, we were all living in different cities at the time, so I sat down and wrote a few riffs. Mostly though, Patrick - our other guitarist - and Jeremiah - our bassist - just locked themselves in the studio for about two months, and just kept writing riffs for like eight hours a day. I came into town, and we started arranging stuff. We just took whatever riff we thought would work, and would say "Here's a chorus", "Here's a verse" or whatever - kind of like a jigsaw puzzle. We did it that way, put some vocals on top, and then we got into the studio - pretty much like we always have. So in terms of the songwriting process, you'd say that 'Blood In The Gears' was more of a group effort than past releases? Oh, definitely. In the past, I've pretty much written everything that's gone on every record, so it was a little scary to let go of control like that. They killed it though and did a great job, so I have more faith in them now (laughs).

"In the past, I've pretty much written everything that's gone on every record, so it was a little scary to let go of control like that."

(Laughs) As you said, it was "a little scary" and probably quite difficult to surrender that creative control, considering you've always assumed the role of being The Showdown's main songwriter. Yeah. It's always been pretty much all me. We had another guitarist who wrote a few riffs back in the day - Travis Bailey - but he mostly just played lead stuff. This time around though, Patrick and I split it up more evenly. We both wrote about the same amount of leads, and he did some more of the riff writing for me so I could spend a little more time dealing with the lyrics, the vocal arrangements, and stuff like that. It was a little scary letting it go, but I'm glad that I did in the long run. It took a lot of pressure off me, and I like the way 'Blood In The Gears' turned out. Has the fact that 'Blood In The Gears' is more of a group effort made the full-length a stronger album? Possibly you contributed the best parts that you wrote, and Patrick contributed the best parts that he wrote, and so on? Absolutely. For sure. I was able to spend more time concentrating on specific things instead of constantly having to worry about everything on the record, so I could keep on top of my game better and everybody else could. Everybody really pulled their own weight this time around, so it was really nice. Has the fact that 'Blood In The Gears' features different songwriters affected the sound of the album? Yeah, kind of, but the dudes that came in that've been doing the writing have been The Showdown fans in the past. Our bassist engineered our first record and produced our third record, and now he's in the band, so he knows what The Showdown sounds like. He knows what we do, and they did bring a little fresh blood. It is different than it would've been beforehand, but as far as the overall tone, to me it's definitely what The Showdown has always wanted to sound like. Having those fresh ears on it really helped. In an interview, you said that 'Blood In The Gears' is "essentially the same as 'Back Breaker', but bigger". Could you explain what you meant by that statement? Yeah. We've always been a little bit reactionary; after we put out that first record, we put out 'Temptation Come My Way' which is completely the opposite. We then did Ozzfest and all this touring with death metal bands and stuff like that, and we got tired of not being the heaviest band on the bill anymore, so 'Back Breaker' was just a straight up thrash reaction against that - that was about as in your face as we were capable of being at the time. This time around, we wanted to not react to something we'd done before or something that's gone on outside of us. We just took the formula to where we wanted it to be, which has some of the songwriting of 'Temptation' and a little bit more of the stadium rock and things like that, but is still ballsy and in your face. It's basically everything we've been doing on the last two records, but just honed in fortunately because we've got that fresh blood, and we're able to focus really more intensely on our individual roles - instead of having to focus on everything at once. How do you feel The Showdown has evolved since writing 'A Chorus Of Obliteration'? We're a totally different band; when we started writing for our first record, we weren't really musicians at that point. We were trying really hard to play as fast as possible, as many notes as possible, and as many styles of metal as possible - we were just always on ten, basically. 'Temptation' was the exact opposite; we wanted to actually write songs, and we'd already been playing 'A Chorus of Obliteration''s songs forever, so we were kind of tired of that album. And like I said, 'Back Breaker' was a little bit a combination of the first two records. We just wanted to get it back to being more intense, but with more songwriting. This time around, we're finally finding what our sound actually is instead of reacting to outside influences. We've definitely grown up a whole lot, because now we're able to just write without worrying about what it's supposed to sound like. So 'Blood In The Gears' is probably the most accurate presentation of The Showdown's musical style? Yeah, hands down. Easily. Southern rock has been mentioned in connection with 'Blood In The Gears'. In what ways is this album possibly influenced by Southern rock? 'Blood In The Gears' is what we all listen to in the band, and we're all past the point of trying to put a boogie in our breakdown or anything like that. We went over the top with that for a minute there somewhat, but it's a genuine influence for us. We genuinely do love stuff like Lynyrd Skynyrd and bands like Down, and all those bands out of New Orleans, and I do listen to country. It's more of a background thing than anything else. We like dramatic riffs, and we like a little boogie every now and again, but it's not out of a sense of "Ok, let's put some Southern rock here". It's just that we prefer that kind of music over something like As I Lay Dying or Norma Jean, or something like that. Though you said in an interview that compared to 'Back Breaker', 'Blood In The Gears' has more elements of stadium rock than thrash, what thrash elements are there in your guitar playing on 'Blood In The Gears'? I didn't write most of the riffs, so I can't speak about them personally - Patrick and Jeremiah wrote the majority of the thrash riffs. We all grew up on Slayer and Exodus, and even some of the crossover stuff like D.R.I. and all that, so it's real natural for us to do little triplets in the chugging and the dramatic riffs. It's just another one of those things that's in our blood. How would you describe what you specifically wrote for 'Blood In The Gears'? I was a little more interested in getting into down- tuning; we've always just been a drop-B band for the most part, but I wanted to tune it down. I had been listening to a lot of Behemoth, so the song that ended up being the hidden track was my take on Behemoth, and the song "No Escape" was me really, really trying to fuse thrash and stadium rock, down-tune and keep it modern. I say all this in retrospect, because I wasn't really thinking about all that when I was writing (laughs). I just wanted to hear something a little different; especially the stuff that I wrote sounds different than the rest of 'Blood In The Gears' for sure, and that's because I've been writing Showdown riffs forever now. I wanted to take it to that next level, and I was able to go off into different directions a little bit like I had on the first record.

"Everybody really pulled their own weight this time around, so it was really nice."

You mentioned Behemoth, and unfortunately, the group's vocalist Adam "Nergal" Darski is battling leukaemia. Yeah. It's crazy. I don't think anybody really thought... I met that dude in like 2007 at Ozzfest, and he was a super-nice guy. Even knowing that this band is on a Christian label and what they believe and so on, I was able to just sit down and talk to the dude for quite awhile. He was super-gracious, a really, really nice guy. I think with everything that I've heard, everybody has the same impression of him. He's a really, really good dude, and a really hard worker apparently. It's sad. I've seen a lot of people pulling together trying to get the bone-marrow donation thing going down, so it's cool to see the heavy metal world come together and help a brother out. You mentioned your views and his not being similar. How do you feel about The Showdown being labelled Christian metal? Does that tag piss you off? We are a hundred percent over that label (laughs). We've been in that world for a long time, and we never claimed to be a Christian band anymore than my mailman is a Christian or not. I don't care whether my mailman believes in God or not; he just delivers my mail, whereas all I do is just deliver entertainment. I'm not an idol, I'm not a hero - I'm not someone to look up to at all. Yeah, I'm a Christian, but again, that affects my work about as much as it would affect my mailman's work. It shows up in our lyrics every once in awhile, but we're definitely not one of those bands who tries to convince everybody that they're going to Hell if they don't believe in God. There are hardcore bands out there who're basically travelling televangelists, and it seems to me like a big circus half the time with the band members trying to make each other feel better about what they believe. Do you feel that misconception partially comes from the fact that The Showdown is currently signed to Solid State Records? Yeah, for sure. And beforehand, we were signed to Mono Vs Stereo which is a division of Gotee, one of the bigger Christian labels. We understand that we kind of brought it on ourselves - to address your point - but it's frustrating to get stuck with that tag because you can't really say anything else at that point. Some of the bands that are doing that we just have zero desire to be associated with because they're out there preaching, and people don't need to be preached at is basically our point. That's a good point, actually. 'Blood In The Gears' is the second Showdown album to be released through Solid State Records. Are you happy with their efforts for The Showdown thus far? Yes. Solid State's great; all the people there are awesome, and we don't have a problem in the world with our label. We're grateful because they've been behind us from day one, and have given us everything we've needed. I definitely won't trash our label at all. As a label, Solid State are great. It's just the Christian tag irritates us sometimes. So you can definitely see The Showdown's relationship with Solid State Records continuing then? Yeah - I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Unless they get irritated by me continually talking about us not being a Christian band I guess (laughs). You've spoken about how 'Blood In The Gears'' theme is about the consequences of empire in general. Could you expand upon that, and explain what you mean? Yeah. 'Blood In The Gears'' theme is really loosely themed on oppression. One of the basic things that I believe about government is that the state exists to further its own power, and that's endemic to it. Whenever they have a monopoly on power, those people are gonna abuse that power. The kind of people that are drawn to situations where you can be a leader and have that much power are not the kind of people that we need in power. You can look at America and say "Yeah, we're the world's richest, most powerful nation and everybody else is just jealous because we're free" and all this, but no, that's not the way it is (laughs). The reason why the Third World hates us is because we're making our money on their backs, but people don't see it. The media is so... and I hate to talk about the media like this because I sound like just one of those guys (laughs), but it's so homogenous. You hear the same things: it's Republican versus Democrat. Well basically, you're switching batter on the same team you wanna hit the ball, that's all. You're not changing anything big. Capitalism has put us to a point where we're making obscene amounts of money, and we're still unhappy. People all over the world are starving. We have every resource that we need to feed everybody in this world and for everybody to be free, and the reason we're not is because power seeks after power. Empires rise but empires will fall, sooner or later. How would you combat these issues? If someone handed you the keys so to speak - the power - what would you do? That is a tough question. I don't think there's anything that could be done quickly that wouldn't cause revolt (laughs). Short of the whole thing toppling in on itself, I don't really see a way. You look at a guy like Ron Paul or someone like that, a libertarian guy who has all the right ideas; end the Federal Reserve, stop the expansionist wars, take away all this foreign aid that we're giving to everybody else and these predatory loans, and all this. Just mind our own business and have a free market. That's the closest thing I've seen to a reasonable solution, but with the way the power apparatus is now I don't think there's anything that any one person can do. I think that if we were all just as dedicated as we needed to be it would probably help, but we're not, and I don't really know how to change that. I hate to be that guy who just complains about the way things are and doesn't really have a solution. I genuinely don't know. Would you say that the topic of terrorism is a great way for politicians to divert attention away from the topics you mentioned? Absolutely. It's a scare tactic How would you describe Jeremiah Scott's production for 'Blood In The Gears'? Jeremiah's pretty hands-off. He'll do a little bit of pre-production as far as songwriting and so on goes, but for the most part, he's real chilled and pretty standard. He makes you get the takes right, but other than that, he doesn't do a whole lot of messing around. He likes to keep things as natural as is possible, but he puts the shine on there where needed. He's pretty easy to work with and relatively cheap, so if there are smaller bands out there looking to get produced, he's definitely your dude. Hang out at his house, drink beers, smoke cigarettes, and play guitar. Ryan Clark from Demon Hunter returned to handle artwork duties for 'Blood In The Gears'. In terms of the album's artwork, what was The Showdown looking for? We didn't really know. Ryan came up with the idea. We threw him a couple of different ideas about collages, and maybe getting something illustrated or something like that. He listened to the record, said "I know what I wanna do", and just gave the artwork to us. In the past, everybody in the band has been more hands-on with the artwork than they have with the music. This time though, everybody was so into the music that we let Ryan do his thing, and he did a great job. I feel like the way the album's artwork looks is the way the album's music sounds. I'm real pleased with it.

"We got tired of not being the heaviest band on the bill anymore, so 'Back Breaker' was just a straight up thrash reaction against that."

Is Jeremiah Scott The Showdown's full-time bassist now? Is he a member of the group? Yeah. He's the official replacement. What do you feel Jeremiah adds to The Showdown? Jeremiah's one of those dudes that gets things done all the time. He doesn't necessarily like to do it, but he ends up being the captain in many cases, making sure we get to where we need to go and taking care of finances and things like that. Apart from that, he's got a really good attitude. He's been trying to do this touring thing full-time for a long time, so he's really stoked to be doing it. He's a really good bassist too; he's a guitarist by trade, and plays in another band called Destroy Destroy Destroy who're like folk / Viking metal. He's already a good guitarist, and he's transferred that over to bass. He's definitely the best bassist we've had, for sure. Where do you hope 'Blood In The Gears' will take The Showdown? We're really satisfied with wherever 'Blood In The Gears' does take us. Obviously, we want it to take over the world, and every band wants that from their album. We want to be as big as possible. I would like to be able to say things that need to be heard. I'd like to be able to have a voice and entertain people who want to have fun at shows, and that's really the extent of it - as many people as we can possibly entertain. Life can be hell in a lot of ways, but you can spend forty-five minutes at a show, forget about all that, and just bang your head. Bands that did that for me made a big mark on my life, so I'd like to do that for some other people. What are The Showdown's touring plans? Nothing is confirmed right now, but we've got a couple of ideas in the pipeline. Which tracks from 'Blood In The Gears' do The Showdown intend to incorporate into its live setlist? We did a pre-release run, and we've been playing "The Man Named Hell", "Bring It Down", and "Heavy Lies The Crown". At some point though, we're probably gonna put "No Escape" in the set I think and maybe "Graveyard Of Empires". We're trying to see what's going over well live. Are there specific tracks from 'Blood In The Gears' you've noticed that audiences are possibly responding well to thus far? "The Man Named Hell" seems to be going over really well, and "Heavy Lies The Crown" is going over pretty well too. We've only done a smaller run over the space of a few weeks, so we'll see in the long run. Right now though, especially "The Man Named Hell" seems to be killing live. Finally, do you have a message for the fans of The Showdown? Thanks for supporting us. I cannot believe we just put out our fourth record. It's amazing that that many people listen to this band - it blows my mind. So thanks, and keep coming out. Thanks for the interview Josh. No, not at all man. Thank you. All the best. Bye man. Bye. Interview by Robert Gray Ultimate-Guitar.Com 2010

55 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Robert Gray
    swordsofplague wrote: Musicman48858 wrote: I think that people are completely misreading his mailman statement. He's not claiming that he doesn't care if the person who is the mailman believes in God... he's stating that as a consumer, it makes no difference to him whether or not it's an agnostic mailman or a Christian mailman... either way he gets his mail. In the same manner, it shouldn't matter to a consumer of music whether the musician is a "Christian" musician or not... as long as the music is good. I completely understand that, and he made a valid point. I'm just trying to understand why something that trivial is the headlining quote
    What's chosen as the headline is something which might get people talking, and debating. If I chose something about empires falling etc., I wasn't sure it'd get over 10 comments if I'm being honest... If I felt it had, I would've gone with it.
    swordsofplague
    Musicman48858 wrote: I think that people are completely misreading his mailman statement. He's not claiming that he doesn't care if the person who is the mailman believes in God... he's stating that as a consumer, it makes no difference to him whether or not it's an agnostic mailman or a Christian mailman... either way he gets his mail. In the same manner, it shouldn't matter to a consumer of music whether the musician is a "Christian" musician or not... as long as the music is good.
    I completely understand that, and he made a valid point. I'm just trying to understand why something that trivial is the headlining quote
    outlet
    Honestly, I feel sorry for the guy. Here he just had an interview published about his new album he just put out and all anyone cares to talk about are his politics and his beliefs.
    w77yyz
    ericthered88 wrote: Getting rich off the poor is not the same as owning another human being.
    Did you really write that???? Slaves were used as FREE LABOR. How is that not profiting from the poor??? It's all of that and much, much worse.
    blink_fan
    ericthered88 : Music, like speech, is all about expression. By your logic, Christians aren't allowed to talk about anything other than the lord their god. He wants his music to be respected for what it is, rather than getting lumped into an inappropriate genre that some people will disregard simply because of what they think the message behind it is.
    I did not say that, nor do my words allow for that conclusion to be logically reached. All I'm saying is that the compartmentalization that he says is ok is not ok by biblical standards Biblical Christianity is all-encompassing. It affects every facet of a believer's life. That doesn't mean that we go around thumping Bibles all the time. That's absurd, and people who think they can share the love of Christ by preaching at someone in a sanctimonious fashion are idiots. That being said, sharing one's faith is pretty critical in Christianity because it's supposed to be the good news and Christians should prize it highly enough to want to share it with others. That's why his comment about not caring whether or not his mailman believes in God really gets to me. I can at least see the logic behind the whole genre thing. The term "Christian band" does sometimes have a negative connotation, however, this should not stop them from still being a band of Christians, with all that that entails, thus my previous statements are still valid. Also, it is clear that they were, at one time, a Christian band, or at least a band with strong Christian themes. Read the lyrics to A Chorus of Obliteration. It's mostly screamed Bible stories. [/quote] Homosexuality isn't ok by biblical standards. Sex outside of marriage isn't ok by biblical standards. The bible does say that if you do not give you life to god you are going to hell. Biblical Standards are ridiculous. If every facet of a believers life has to be in check with biblical standards, then every christian would be in the WBC.
    Musicman48858
    I think that people are completely misreading his mailman statement. He's not claiming that he doesn't care if the person who is the mailman believes in God... he's stating that as a consumer, it makes no difference to him whether or not it's an agnostic mailman or a Christian mailman... either way he gets his mail. In the same manner, it shouldn't matter to a consumer of music whether the musician is a "Christian" musician or not... as long as the music is good.
    BwareDWare94
    w77yyz wrote: ericthered88 wrote: orn_dead wrote: In a nutshell, regardless of labels, Christians should act like Christians. Dare I ask then... does "acting Christian" include painting your guitar to symbolically support the right to have slaves.... or is it just one of those good 'ole boys southern things? You read this guys comments denouncing the capitalist practice of getting rich off the backs of the Third World poor, and I find it incredibly hypocritical that he's painted his guitar with a Confederate flag.
    You need a box of tissues. Feelings don't matter as much as today's society seems to think they do.
    ericthered88
    w77yyz wrote: Dare I ask then... does "acting Christian" include painting your guitar to symbolically support the right to have slaves.... or is it just one of those good 'ole boys southern things? You read this guys comments denouncing the capitalist practice of getting rich off the backs of the Third World poor, and I find it incredibly hypocritical that he's painted his guitar with a Confederate flag. Ok, first of all, the Civil War was fought over the concept of state sovereignty, not slavery. It's not right to own slaves, but that's really not the idea conveyed by the confederate flag guitar. The only statement I get from that image is "I am from the south," which is pretty innocuous. So there is no hypocrisy in his political viewpoint, at least that I could discern. Getting rich off the poor is not the same as owning another human being.
    w77yyz
    ericthered88 wrote: orn_dead wrote: In a nutshell, regardless of labels, Christians should act like Christians.
    Dare I ask then... does "acting Christian" include painting your guitar to symbolically support the right to have slaves.... or is it just one of those good 'ole boys southern things? You read this guys comments denouncing the capitalist practice of getting rich off the backs of the Third World poor, and I find it incredibly hypocritical that he's painted his guitar with a Confederate flag.
    shaddowfist
    I listened to "Blood in the Gears" and liked it. It wasn't my favorite, but it was still an enjoyable listen nonetheless. I had no idea until I read this article that The Showdown were even arguably labelled a Christian band. After hearing that knowledge, should that change my opinion upon hearing the music, knowing that this is a band of Christians? Absolutely not, and I obviously still see the intrinsic value of the music itself. Personally, if I was in a band, this is what I would want and expect from someone listening to me -- for them to value my music regardless of whatever genre it fits into, or regardless of my appearance. Josh was then justified for his desire to separate the Christian label from The Showdown. He wants people to like the music that he makes for itself, rather than appealing to a target audience. They are a band first, making music, rather than a Christian device. The very notion of coming together and making a band, of making music, suggests that you want to create music, as opposed to advocating Christianity. I guess it boils down to whether you think being a Christian should be manifest in every aspect of your life or not, particularly employment. I'm not a Christian, and I'm not as well-versed in Biblical verse as I could be, but I think that to try and introduce Christianity into a job would be to prioritize Christianity in the context of that job, which basically defeats the purpose of even doing said job. If your priority is being a Christian, rather than living on this Earth as a practical human being with physical needs, why don't you just be a missionary? Does that mean, then, that you deviate from the core of Christianity if you're not a missionary?
    Savage Animal
    feel like christian musicians just dont 'get it' cant think of any good bands that actually call themselves 'christian musicians'. sick of their brand
    swordsofplague
    dopelope wrote: Sean117 wrote: swordsofplague wrote: I love how he drops this really deep and prophetic statement about the rise and fall of empires and capitalist america, and yet the headlining title is "I don't care if my mailman believes in God or not" What does his view on capitalism have to do with religion? Yea! what ^HE^ said. And why do you like them less MR Gypsyjew22?
    I just find it kinda funny that this dude made all sorts of insightful comments, and yet the one that makes the headline is that he doesn't care if his mailman believes in God or not. Seems like out of all the intelligent things he said, the one that the writer latched onto was the least of them. Idk, just a random thought
    Sewn Up
    ericthered88 wrote: Music, like speech, is all about expression. By your logic, Christians aren't allowed to talk about anything other than the lord their god. He wants his music to be respected for what it is, rather than getting lumped into an inappropriate genre that some people will disregard simply because of what they think the message behind it is.
    I did not say that, nor do my words allow for that conclusion to be logically reached. All I'm saying is that the compartmentalization that he says is ok is not ok by biblical standards. Biblical Christianity is all-encompassing. It affects every facet of a believer's life. That doesn't mean that we go around thumping Bibles all the time. That's absurd, and people who think they can share the love of Christ by preaching at someone in a sanctimonious fashion are idiots. That being said, sharing one's faith is pretty critical in Christianity because it's supposed to be the good news and Christians should prize it highly enough to want to share it with others. That's why his comment about not caring whether or not his mailman believes in God really gets to me. I can at least see the logic behind the whole genre thing. The term "Christian band" does sometimes have a negative connotation, however, this should not stop them from still being a band of Christians, with all that that entails, thus my previous statements are still valid. Also, it is clear that they were, at one time, a Christian band, or at least a band with strong Christian themes. Read the lyrics to A Chorus of Obliteration. It's mostly screamed Bible stories. [/quote] He said he was himself a Christian. Shouldn't having faith in Christ, His miracles, and His teachings be enough? It seems to me that you would consider him to not be a true Christian because he doesn't broadcast it so polar bears can be converted. Just because you may not see his faith "effect every facet of a believer's life", who are you to really say that it doesn't? I'm a Christian myself and I actually take more offense to some of the things you said than I do to anything in this interview.
    ericthered88
    blink_fan wrote: Homosexuality isn't ok by biblical standards. Sex outside of marriage isn't ok by biblical standards. The bible does say that if you do not give you life to god you are going to hell. Biblical Standards are ridiculous. If every facet of a believers life has to be in check with biblical standards, then every christian would be in the WBC. Obviously, you're convinced that you're right, and nothing I say will do anything to change your mind. Do some research though. Show me that homosexuality is beneficial. Show me that the divorce rate isn't higher in couples who had sex outside of marriage. I guarantee you that any valid study will contradict these ideas. As for your comment about the WBC, they are a hate group; pure and simple. They use biblical passages taken out of context as tools and justification for their hatred. They're no more Christian than Mao or Stalin.
    Gary.Blizzard
    Musicman48858 wrote: I think that people are completely misreading his mailman statement. He's not claiming that he doesn't care if the person who is the mailman believes in God... he's stating that as a consumer, it makes no difference to him whether or not it's an agnostic mailman or a Christian mailman... either way he gets his mail. In the same manner, it shouldn't matter to a consumer of music whether the musician is a "Christian" musician or not... as long as the music is good.
    I concur.
    Beyond_Insanity
    If people want to find God, then they'll know where to go. Preaching to people and "spreading the word" is not the way to go about it. That turns people off if anything. And try to use some logic or common sense. I don't believe in everything the Bible says. The Bible was written by men, not God. They're even books that were excluded from the Bible because the Vatican decided that they contradicted other parts of the Bible. Don't be ignorant people.
    WhiskeyDemon
    Mad Respect to Josh Glad to see I'm not the only nonbeliever to listen to The Showdown. If you like them less now, your loss for letting your beliefs get in the way of good tunes.
    nobody12
    WhiskeyDemon wrote: Mad Respect to Josh Glad to see I'm not the only nonbeliever to listen to The Showdown. If you like them less now, your loss for letting your beliefs get in the way of good tunes.
    these guys are good but this guy listens to behemoth, thats ****in brutal, that shows ya beliefs dont get in the way
    redhavok
    just because he is christian doesnt mean you have to preach now. ppl have been arguing bout this for hundreds of years and havent got anywhere so i am not expecting you too either.
    AjWarda
    Just like a politician using religion to get votes, it sort of reads like he doesn't mind getting the christian support but doesn't want the christian label, I could be wrong. My biggest gripe though, is that much of what is wrong with the empire model and the current state of capitalism is the same as what's wrong with religion and it's unneeded influence. He might want to turn that inquisitive light he's shed on government right back on religion. "Whenever they have a monopoly on power, those people are gonna abuse that power," he could easily be talking about any religion instead of government. Just as the right wing in america uses "tradition" and "history" to retard my nations growth, the religious community (all religions) use the same moronic, logic-less arguments to justify not only their beliefs, but why their beliefs should be used to govern and influence society. "The reason why the Third World hates us is because we're making our money on their backs, but people don't see it." Much like the history (not so distant) of all the Semetic religions furthering themselves by war, occupation, and systematic genocides on the "heathen." There's apart of me that respects the nutjob Christians more than these wishy washy types simply because they are more entertaining (after all one of the basic truths in comedy is that stupid is funny), but then free thought comes in and saves the day. My only thoughts on Showdown is when you stand in the middle of the road there's gonna be traffic on both sides so don't "sigh" when the Christian thing is brought up, because you brought it on yourselves.
    AjWarda
    Just like a politician using religion to get votes, it sort of reads like he doesn't mind getting the christian support but doesn't want the christian label, I could be wrong. My biggest gripe though, is that much of what is wrong with the empire model and the current state of capitalism is the same as what's wrong with religion and it's unneeded influence. He might want to turn that inquisitive light he's shed on government right back on religion. "Whenever they have a monopoly on power, those people are gonna abuse that power," he could easily be talking about any religion instead of government. Just as the right wing in america uses "tradition" and "history" to retard my nations growth, the religious community (all religions) use the same moronic, logic-less arguments to justify not only their beliefs, but why their beliefs should be used to govern and influence society. "The reason why the Third World hates us is because we're making our money on their backs, but people don't see it." Much like the history (not so distant) of all the Semetic religions furthering themselves by war, occupation, and systematic genocides on the "heathen." There's apart of me that respects the nutjob Christians more than these wishy washy types simply because they are more entertaining (after all one of the basic truths in comedy is that stupid is funny), but then free thought comes in and saves the day. My only thoughts on Showdown is when you stand in the middle of the road there's gonna be traffic on both sides so don't "sigh" when the Christian thing is brought up, because you brought it on yourselves.
    ericthered88
    w77yyz wrote: Did you really write that???? Slaves were used as FREE LABOR. How is that not profiting from the poor??? It's all of that and much, much worse. It wasn't free labor; the slave had to be purchased first, but that's really beside the point. Today's market relies heavily on outsourcing manufacturing to third world countries where people will do the same work that Americans can do, but they're do it for a lot less money. Is it exploitative? Yes. Does it seem to devalue these people? Arguably, yes. Is it slavery? Of course not. Slavery necessitates the ownership of another person and, in America in the 1600-1800s, that also pretty much guaranteed physical and sexual abuse, which, to the best of my knowledge, isn't occurring in overseas manufacturing plants, at least not because of anything America has done. The situations are similar, but as you said, slavery is much, much worse. Therefore, there really isn't much of a basis for meaningful comparison. Your comment really makes it seem like the sort of person who can't stand to be proven wrong, so you latch on to one tiny part of someone's statement and try to call them on it just so you can have the final word.
    ericthered88
    Sewn Up wrote: He said he was himself a Christian. Shouldn't having faith in Christ, His miracles, and His teachings be enough? It seems to me that you would consider him to not be a true Christian because he doesn't broadcast it so polar bears can be converted. Just because you may not see his faith "effect every facet of a believer's life", who are you to really say that it doesn't? I'm a Christian myself and I actually take more offense to some of the things you said than I do to anything in this interview. Whether he's a Christian or not is not for me to judge. I only took issue with the ideas he expressed. Also, it's clear from the interview that he doesn't allow his faith to "affect every facet of his life," he says "Yeah, I'm a Christian, but again, that affects my work about as much as it would affect my mailman's work." Here's what God says on the matter in Colossians 3:17 "And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father." We're told to do that, not to make us Christian, but because we are Christians.
    i_eat_souls
    As I said in a previous comment, just because they aren't a "Christian band" doesn't mean that they should not remain a band of Christians. God didn't tell pastors to share their faith. God told Christians to share their faith. If I was both a Christian and a mailman, I would share my faith at the post office or wherever I had the chance. Likewise, if I was a Christian and a member of a metal band, I would share my faith in my place of employment when given the opportunity. The responsibility really doesn't change based upon occupation or circumstances. It's no problem if they don't write all their songs about their faith, but advocating the mindset that he did is not congruent with Christianity.
    A lot of employers will fire your ass for talking about religion at work. The post office definitely would. Also, you talk a lot about Christian's religious duties to "share their faith." I've never heard anything by this band, although after this article I'll check 'em out, but I'm assuming they bring up matters of faith in their lyrics and sing about their spiritual views, so isn't that enough? Sharing your faith doesn't mean attempting to convert people, if history is any lesson, conversion can get messy.
    damillion
    ericthered88 wrote: blink_fan wrote: Homosexuality isn't ok by biblical standards. Sex outside of marriage isn't ok by biblical standards. The bible does say that if you do not give you life to god you are going to hell. Biblical Standards are ridiculous. If every facet of a believers life has to be in check with biblical standards, then every christian would be in the WBC. Obviously, you're convinced that you're right, and nothing I say will do anything to change your mind. Do some research though. Show me that homosexuality is beneficial. Show me that the divorce rate isn't higher in couples who had sex outside of marriage. I guarantee you that any valid study will contradict these ideas. As for your comment about the WBC, they are a hate group; pure and simple. They use biblical passages taken out of context as tools and justification for their hatred. They're no more Christian than Mao or Stalin.
    You don't need to cherry pick in the Bible to find evil in it. I mean first in Leviticus it says that homosexuality is wrong, but then as you read on it says that you should stone your wife to death if she isn't a virgin on her wedding night. Then every christian goes "well, that's just symbolic, I don't undertand it" and toss it away. So the first passage about homosexuality wasn't, but about stoning your wife was? yeah, sure, nice logic...
    Sean117
    damillion wrote: ericthered88 wrote: blink_fan wrote: Homosexuality isn't ok by biblical standards. Sex outside of marriage isn't ok by biblical standards. The bible does say that if you do not give you life to god you are going to hell. Biblical Standards are ridiculous. If every facet of a believers life has to be in check with biblical standards, then every christian would be in the WBC. Obviously, you're convinced that you're right, and nothing I say will do anything to change your mind. Do some research though. Show me that homosexuality is beneficial. Show me that the divorce rate isn't higher in couples who had sex outside of marriage. I guarantee you that any valid study will contradict these ideas. As for your comment about the WBC, they are a hate group; pure and simple. They use biblical passages taken out of context as tools and justification for their hatred. They're no more Christian than Mao or Stalin. You don't need to cherry pick in the Bible to find evil in it. I mean first in Leviticus it says that homosexuality is wrong, but then as you read on it says that you should stone your wife to death if she isn't a virgin on her wedding night. Then every christian goes "well, that's just symbolic, I don't undertand it" and toss it away. So the first passage about homosexuality wasn't, but about stoning your wife was? yeah, sure, nice logic...
    Thank you...intelligence in a UG comment is hard to find. You sir are a winner.
    CydoniaKnight95
    Sean117 wrote: swordsofplague wrote: I love how he drops this really deep and prophetic statement about the rise and fall of empires and capitalist america, and yet the headlining title is "I don't care if my mailman believes in God or not" What does his view on capitalism have to do with religion?
    What does his view on religion have to do with the music? I think its sad that a band like this are labeled as "Christian metal" just because they're all Christian
    OXL
    Bands with only one lyrical theme are pretty lame anyway.
    DethbyChocolate
    Its pretty cool that theyre from my home town. one of my friends actually saw them before they got big
    millarso
    I love The Showdown and am slightly surprised to see an interview on one of their members, but you should probably get a more modern picture of the guy instead of perusing Google.
    Romper Stomper
    Sean117 wrote: swordsofplague wrote: I love how he drops this really deep and prophetic statement about the rise and fall of empires and capitalist america, and yet the headlining title is "I don't care if my mailman believes in God or not" What does his view on capitalism have to do with religion?
    Yea! what ^HE^ said. And why do you like them less MR Gypsyjew22?
    Sean117
    swordsofplague wrote: I love how he drops this really deep and prophetic statement about the rise and fall of empires and capitalist america, and yet the headlining title is "I don't care if my mailman believes in God or not"
    What does his view on capitalism have to do with religion?
    gypsyjew22
    Idk I'm liking The Showdown LESS, due to this article. Which is rare for me, because I usually like bands MORE.
    rob904
    gypsyjew22 wrote: Idk I'm liking The Showdown LESS, due to this article. Which is rare for me, because I usually like bands MORE.
    I don't understand this response, everything said gave me a bit more respect for them
    swordsofplague
    I love how he drops this really deep and prophetic statement about the rise and fall of empires and capitalist america, and yet the headlining title is "I don't care if my mailman believes in God or not"
    TheMarrtyr13
    Good interview, I'm surprised they didn't really talk about Isaac or Patrick. One of my favorite bands, still waiting for that backpatch from the Twitter contest.
    ericthered88
    Yeah, this interview really made me like them a whole lot LESS. Mainly because I am a Christ-follower and the attitude he displays is completely incongruent with biblical Christianity. The world doesn't need any more pansy Christians who won't stand up for what they believe.
    ericthered88
    orn_dead wrote: Eric, you seem pretty intellegent. I'm a Christian myself, and while I agree about the statement he said being seemingly offensive, he was using it to convey a message. Meaning that he was stating that you can call a mailman a Christian mailman as much as you can call a band a Christian band. Meaning that, regardless of what they believe is sitting in the sky, the mailman is still just a mailman, just like The Showdown is just a band, not a group of pastors. They are men who enjoy music, and that is the basis of the band. You said yourself that they have Biblical themes in their music. They're simply letting the music speak for itself. They don't need to put a label on themselves because their lyrics can point it out what they believe. They don't write ALL of their songs about their faith, and they don't want to. They're a band. They want to be a band. I see no problem here. As I said in a previous comment, just because they aren't a "Christian band" doesn't mean that they should not remain a band of Christians. God didn't tell pastors to share their faith. God told Christians to share their faith. If I was both a Christian and a mailman, I would share my faith at the post office or wherever I had the chance. Likewise, if I was a Christian and a member of a metal band, I would share my faith in my place of employment when given the opportunity. The responsibility really doesn't change based upon occupation or circumstances. It's no problem if they don't write all their songs about their faith, but advocating the mindset that he did is not congruent with Christianity. In a nutshell, regardless of labels, Christians should act like Christians.
    BwareDWare94
    I love that this band is made up of Christians, but if being more openly Christian means changing their lyrics then I'll pass. Lyrically, they're phenomenal. They make the listener think. Oh, Sleeper and The Showdown are two best lyrical bands in the Christian music spectrum by a long shot.
    SomaticalEntity
    The Showdown was the first band I ever went to watch back in high school at a show in hazard kentucky, it's weird seeing them on here so many years later
    DontHaveAName
    I saw them a few months ago with Becoming The Archetype..it was an awesome show. I also really like what he's saying about his thoughts on government..good stuff
    jem77gmc
    idk, to be truthful, id rather be a christian guy in a secular band than be a guy in a band that calls themselves christians, but at the end of the day cares more about the money im getting than the actual meaning thats beneath. I am christian, but id perfer to be in a secular band, id also like to say that just because they are christian artists does not mean they owe it to anyone to continually be forcved to talk about their religion in everyinterview/song.
    RAGman22ReborN
    musically, I like this band but lyrically, I always preferred Demon Hunter. They knew how to balance expressing their beliefs without sounds too preachy or, at least, cheesy. I agree about the Ron Paul thing. Don't wanna sound like a conspiracy theorist hippy but -- nWo!
    ericthered88
    Music, like speech, is all about expression. By your logic, Christians aren't allowed to talk about anything other than the lord their god. He wants his music to be respected for what it is, rather than getting lumped into an inappropriate genre that some people will disregard simply because of what they think the message behind it is.[/quote] I did not say that, nor do my words allow for that conclusion to be logically reached. All I'm saying is that the compartmentalization that he says is ok is not ok by biblical standards. Biblical Christianity is all-encompassing. It affects every facet of a believer's life. That doesn't mean that we go around thumping Bibles all the time. That's absurd, and people who think they can share the love of Christ by preaching at someone in a sanctimonious fashion are idiots. That being said, sharing one's faith is pretty critical in Christianity because it's supposed to be the good news and Christians should prize it highly enough to want to share it with others. That's why his comment about not caring whether or not his mailman believes in God really gets to me. I can at least see the logic behind the whole genre thing. The term "Christian band" does sometimes have a negative connotation, however, this should not stop them from still being a band of Christians, with all that that entails, thus my previous statements are still valid. Also, it is clear that they were, at one time, a Christian band, or at least a band with strong Christian themes. Read the lyrics to A Chorus of Obliteration. It's mostly screamed Bible stories.