Pete Wentz: 'People Want To See Videos That Are Still Exciting'

If you're hanging on to the hope that MTV might return to its golden days, Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz might just be able to help.

Pete Wentz: 'People Want To See Videos That Are Still Exciting'
0
It's no secret that music videos have been put on MTV's endangered list over the past decade. If you were able to experience the music channel's heyday in the 1980s and early 1990s, then the fact that shows like The Hills and My Super Sweet 16 are the main attraction likely leaves a foul taste in your mouth. If you're hanging on to the hope that MTV might return to its golden days, Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz might just be able to help. As someone who grew up watching legendary videos like Michael Jackson's Thriller, Wentz (like many of us) wanted to see that kind of creativity back on the small screen. After brainstorming with MTV, he developed FNMTV Premieres (Fridays, 8 pm ET/PT), a new show that is dedicated to both music videos and live performances. To ensure that it's keeping with the times, a big chunk of the show is dedicated to audience feedback, whether that means simply rating videos or actually uploading your own taped response. Wentz told Ultimate-Guitar that there were a few kinks that needed to be worked out after the June 13 debut show, but he hopes that FNMTV Premieres will finally give artists and record labels a reason to put time, money, and creativity back into music videos. UG: It's admirable that you're attempting to revive interest in music videos with your new show FNMTV Premieres. Was the show your idea? Pete: It's not a particularly original idea, videos on TV. I think that's been an idea that a lot of people have had and a lot of people that watch MTV have had. I guess I pushed for it really hard, but at the end of the day it was up to MTV to kind of decide if they were going to back it and go full force with it. They could have buried it and put it on the backburner. They didn't have to put it on Friday nights, and the set is gigantic. They didn't have to do all that, so I have to give credit where credit is due. Pretty much everyone - individually and collectively at MTV - is really shooting for this show. They're really trying to do everything they can to make it work, so I have to give credit to them. You had the premiere back on June 13 and it looked like the crowd was very much into it. Was it pretty much what you expected? I didn't know what to expect. I got pretty nervous, I guess. The crowd was a lot crazier than I expected! They go nuts! It's like being at a concert. Getting people to quiet down and not yell is impossible. We'd have to be in a studio, and people are excited to see these performances and these videos. To try to tell people to be quiet or go over here, it's impossible to do. It's like lighting a fuse and trying to put it out. That was crazier than I expected. A major part of the show is audience participation. Did that run smoothly the first time around? It was my idea to have some type of feedback and have people rate the videos. That raises the bar. So if they're going to bring their video to the show, they'll bring the best video they possibly can. I think it goes along with any number of things, like people texting. That's the nature of culture, having this instant gratification in this text message democracy. The interesting thing is - and this is completely honest - I expected in the room that people text messaging would really make it a positive-type of feedback just because we had the star there and it was in the heat of the moment. Last week people didn't really necessarily understand the criteria completely. There was a big mix of responses. There were okay, medium, bad and good responses on top of that. This week we kind of described the criteria better and we had it online before they were able to submit their videos. So this time, of 400 people, 300 people voted and really voted based on how the video was. I think each week that will probably get better. On July 4, we go live and people all across the country will be able to vote. We're not going to make or break anybody. For the most part, they're already known or have been making cool videos before. So I think that it won't be like that. At the same time, I think people on a video show want to see cool videos. If you put up a video next to Smells Like Teen Spirit or Thriller, people want to see videos that are still exciting.
"Getting people to quiet down and not yell is impossible."
There hasn't been a whole lot of reason for artists to put much effort into actually making videos with MTV playing less and less of them. If FNMTV goes over well, do you think that we'll see bands raising the bar in terms of the creativity in music videos? I really hope so. I think even more so it's for the people at labels. They're like, Well, it doesn't matter what kind of video we put out. It's just going to premiere on this website or whatever, or it will get played in the late-night hours on MTV2 or something. More than that, I think people still have big ideas. You can do really cool things with not a whole lot of money. As an example, the Vampire Weekend video was shot just on one camera shot that was continuous for the whole video. It was kind of like Wes Anderson and I don't think it was all that expensive. It's inspiration for the bands and director as well. Can you recall some of the first videos that had a big effect on you in your early years? Yeah. The whole November Rain series with Guns N' Roses. Obviously, Smells Like Teen Spirit. Jay-Z's Big Pimpin', that was a great video. I think the early White Stripes' videos were really interesting, really great. Michael Jackson put out great videos all the way from Thriller to Leave Me Alone, when he called out everything that everybody was saying about him. I think that blink-182 had a lot of great videos. The video for Green Day's Basket Case was great. There's been a ton of iconic videos in the last 20 years. Everybody points out a-ha - that was a great video! What were some of the bands or musicians that inspired you to pick up the bass by their music alone? Probably Duff from Guns N' Roses. I think I was interested in the bass because my friend was already playing the guitar. Green Day and bands like that, I guess. Originally growing up, I was first into them. Then I got into Jimmy Buffett and Michael Jackson, Guns N' Roses and Metallica. There was death metal like Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, and bands like that. Did you ever see yourself eventually playing in a band like Deicide? Yeah, I was in a bunch of bands that were kind of bad versions of them! I guess we were pretty good, though! I saw that in April of 2007 you released the Signature Squier Precision Bass. Yeah! I gave one to Lil Wayne last week on the show. He's been playing a lot of guitar lately, so I decided to give him one. What was it about the Squier that delivered the specific sound you needed for Fall Out Boy? I was really into the JP-90, which was cool. I like it because it was really light and the neck was really fat. The only thing different about it was the wiring. I didn't really like the pickups, so I switched out the pickups and put in the Seymour Duncan ones. The thing about the Squier is that it sounds great. I've played it on our records and on a couple songs now. A lot of times people have to put a price tag on sound. I think that the great thing is that if you can get a good sound and it can be a bass where people can grow into, it's an important thing. The thing I want to do is inspire younger people who are like, Maybe I should try this out. I was interested in Mark Hoppus' bass growing up. Sometimes people will switch their guitar or switch their amp, and then they use a process that's kind of impossible to figure out. They use very specific creative ingredients to get their sound, and we didn't try to do that. We wanted to give people the key to the castle to be able to kind of do it.
"We're not going to make or break anybody."
Do you tend to tweak things in the setup a little bit for each song to create a different sound? It's pretty consistent. I like a metallic, overdriven bass that is kind of heavy. So on Take This To Your Grave and From Under The Cork Tree, there is a pretty specific sound with the guitars for the most part. This was a little more rhythmic and played with the bass drum. It was more with the rhythm section now. We'll change the distortion or the sound of the song in general. There will be times when there will be fingerpicked ones. For the most part it's a pick and a heavier sound. On the songs that are more acoustic-sounding, there are times when I played with felt picks. I actually had the ones that Tom Petty's bass player used, and it gives it a different sound. On the bass itself, there is only one knob for the volume and it's always turned up. You're probably quite busy with FNMTV Premieres, but is Fall Out Boy currently at work on a new album? Yeah. At the end of the day, Fall Out Boy is the most important aspect of my life and career. I realize that the only reason anybody gives me any attention for anything else is because of Fall Out Boy. That's the thing that is most precious to me and that's the thing that will always top everything else. If it's a TV show or a magazine or whatever, Fall Out Boy is the most important part of that. I keep reading in interviews that there will be a folk element to the new record. Is that true? I don't know really where that came from, if it was more of a lyrical element to the record. I don't know. I feel like anytime before your record comes out, if you say anything it becomes the thing that is saturated everywhere. So I think someone at some point said, Oh, there's going to be a folk element. It's going to still be a Fall Out Boy record. It will be different, but it won't be that different. Interview by Amy Kelly Ultimate-Guitar.Com 2008

274 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Pingis_Or_Death
    Its going to still be a Fall Out Boy record. It will be different, but it wont be that different.
    Well of course, they still want to sell millions of records don't they? And I don't think they'll be doing that if they put out a folk record. That's why they're going to stay to their radio-friendly pop-punk roots for ever.
    Neon D-von
    While people have been tagging on amazing bassists names to the list, I might as well add: Geddy Lee Dirk Lance
    pyritmann
    smalRaptor wrote: Hate to break it to you guys, but Kurt Cobain was a pretty average guitar player. I'm a huge Nirvana fan, I have most of their albums. It was his creativity that made him great.
    lol a few of their three? (2 major label) but yeah your right, as dumb as it sounds you dont need to be good at your instrument to make good music. and NIRVANA is a good example. Kurt Cobain wasnt the best guitarist, krist novoselic wasnt the best bassist, and dave grohl wasnt the best bass player, but they had great ideas and are still one of the best bands ever!. Not That im comparing Pete Wentz in any way to Kurt Cobain, Pete wentz is a disgrace to music and he doesnt have any good ideas left. I liked a couple of fOBs old songs, but only the more punkish ones though. At least he's trying to redeem himself with all this mtv stuff but mtv is lost forever.
    reignofrock
    its really sad that a member of fall out boy is leading anything, cmon, they really really are no talent hacks merely seeking money and fame. its a sad day when the music world has to look to people like this
    Nathan_393
    Aplanken wrote: tomathy wrote: whitenoise1313 wrote: tomathy wrote: themightygooch wrote: How can this guy inspire anyone to play bass, when he can barely play the damn instrument? Look to Tim Commerford and Flea for inspiration not this ****. dont forget les claypool or victor wooten Don't forget John Myung either. Dave Ellefson or Cliff Burton should also be mentioned also stanley clarke and i suppose that one from rancid AND JACO! how could i forget him? nikki sixx should also be included stop naming all bassplayers in the world... any dickhead can play better then Pete Wnetz... the dude should be hoggtied!
    i was waiting for somebody to mention Jaco. That dude should be number one on the list.
    fret13
    completely off subject (kinda) but i think tis safe to say that if anyone is going to revive the old MTV thing, it would be a Blink reunion... but then again... think of all the other things that would lead to...
    dutch5367
    Now if Pete Wentz wasn't married to Ashley Simpson would anybody even know who he is? I mean I don't like Ashley Simpson anymore than I like Pete Wentz, but honestly couldn't even told you what band he was in till I read this article.
    pnkr0cker
    ^ dude pete has been known for fall out boy since from under the cork tree! why would people be bashing his band instead of his wife? and thats been public for a few months now so thats too soon to make that assumption, you just arent filled in (which really isnt a bad thing because the people who bash fob havent given a real technical fact without being a smartass of how they suck)
    [B]C [R]ich : does anyone find it somewhat strange, how homo bands such as fallout boy and panic at the disco that have very little skill(if any), horrible lyrics, and if not the GAYEST music videos of all time are pushed upon people by radio, tv etc, as opposed to incredibly talented bands like slayer, lamb of god, pantera or any one with real talent, how come i dont see them on MTV or never hear them on the local radios? I mean come on, enough of my generation are frail little wus's, these sort of bands aren't helping that at all either. Matt Heafy of Trivium said it best, this world needs to be enlightend with some better music.
    dude! yea those bands are great, (especially pantera, their music is so awesome!) but first of all they are a totally different genre, and second, they arent demanded by the majority! now if your talking about a metal station then that would be a valid argument.
    MetalBassist93
    Regression wrote: zerodeck wrote: Did you ever see yourself eventually playing in a band like Deicide? Yeah, I was in a bunch of bands that were kind of bad versions of them! I guess we were pretty good, though! this is a joke right? I actually got a little respect for him and the whole FNMTV thing, but this can't be true... He did play in some heavy-ish bands before Fall Out Boy. Off the top of my head, he did vocals for Arma Angelus, and the Rise Against frontman guy was in the band to I think.
    whoa arma angelus has a pretty good sound lol didnt expect that all haha
    .:Metal Boy:.
    thing is that, well he plays what he has to for the music, its not like he needs to play super complex bass lines because that would just clog up the music and make it alot less accessible to the public, and if i were making a heap of money from playing catchy songs that people likes then i'd keep doing it. Not everything has to be hard to play, it is pop-punk after all :p, pete wentz is still a bit of a glory hog but i dont think he really deserves all the flak he gets, he also writes some catchy lyrics and some occasionaly bass lines that get stuck in your head like dance dance.
    brighteyes577
    ok guys just think about it.. they have to make a NEW mtv for MUSIC because the current mtv, (which is supposed to be MUSIC TV!!) doesnt have any music! how retarded is that and yeah pete wentz blah blah blah i dont like him that much but whatever
    decaydance_rokk
    Pete Wentz has his own clothing line; it Clandestine Industries. and seriously he can play bass better than half of you guys. he has been playing for at least 9 years if not more. And Fall Out Boy is a really amazing band that puts together stuff that means something to them and I am sure they don't give what you guys think of them. Just stop trying to put them down because all your doing is wasting your time. By the way not many guys can pull of eyeliner and some girls can't either, and pete pulls it off better than half the girls in the world can. it doesn't matter what they wear. Its the message they are trying to get across. and they are trying to get something across. you just can't hear it because you stuck-up, narrow-minded people can't clean the ****ing earwax out of your ears.
    Ravenblacktear
    Well, I may not have much faith in MTV anymore, but I must say that if Pete can get some music back on the station, I will be at least a little bit happy. I can say more about what people have said in response to this, but I don't really feel like arguing. I'm sad to see that people can't read an interview without the thing breaking down into insulting an individual. I hate alot of bands, but I don't take my precious time to flame them. You are all musicians, and as musicians, you are in it to make music and to express yourself. When you have millions of musicians around the world making music, you have alot of different languages for the same concepts and the same feelings. It is all relative. It is like Poe and Twain. In, my opinion, Poe was such a magnificent writer, but I hate Mark Twain's writing for the most part. But I don't sit around all day flaming Mark Twain or saying that people who read Mark Twain are idiots. People just see things differently, and that is what's wonderful about music, or any form of self-expression. Don't insult a musician because they don't play the music that you like or they don't play amazingly complicated riffs. Maybe that's just how Pete wants to play. Some people want to play super complicated, fast, shred-speed riffs , and that is fine. For example, Satch is an amazing musician and I love Alexi from Children of Bodom as well as Sinister and Vengence from Avenged Sevenfold, but that is just how they want to play and that works for them. They get their point across and they really inspire me, but a really simple piece can be just as expressive as a complicated piece. Maybe something gets lost in translation between the musician and the listener, but as Einstein taught us, EVERY perspective is on equal terms with EVERY other. And if you really don't understand what I'm saying, then you really need to take time and think about what music REALLY is. Oh, and it's quite ironic that I took the time to write that long winded thing when I was the one to complain about people waisting their time with posts, but oh well, if I get my point across, I'm happy.
    Lauri
    VintageZen wrote: mikko_9119 wrote: I hope this MTV thing works out... At the end of the day, Fall Out Boy is the most important aspect of my lifeWait... isn't he married? yeah to pathetic Ashlee Simpson
    perfect couple
    Benjibum
    Lol saying he cant play bass is like saying Mike Dirnt cant play bass or Tom Delonge cant play guitar... For all we know, they might be better than buckethead, but their music doesnt call for it. Millions of record sales means you are generally selling to stupid people ie. twelve ear old girls. the dont wanna hear slap bass solos and whatnot. Having said that, he might be utter shite for all i know
    MetalBassist07
    decaydance_rokk wrote: Pete Wentz has his own clothing line; it Clandestine Industries. and seriously he can play bass better than half of you guys. he has been playing for at least 9 years if not more. And Fall Out Boy is a really amazing band that puts together stuff that means something to them and I am sure they don't give what you guys think of them. Just stop trying to put them down because all your doing is wasting your time. By the way not many guys can pull of eyeliner and some girls can't either, and pete pulls it off better than half the girls in the world can. it doesn't matter what they wear. Its the message they are trying to get across. and they are trying to get something across. you just can't hear it because you stuck-up, narrow-minded people can't clean the ****ing earwax out of your ears.
    Um...wow...now that I know how long he's been playing, HE REALLY SUCKS. To be playing that long and to be that bad is pretty sad. I played at his level my first 6 months of playing.
    MetalBassist07
    For the bassist of a band, one who has zero skill, to be the face of the band....yea...it doesn't say much for the band. And I really don't see how telling everyone that he has his own clothing line, that we wears make-up better than chicks, and that he actually has been playing for a long time defends him at all. lol
    pnkr0cker
    .:Metal Boy:. : thing is that, well he plays what he has to for the music, its not like he needs to play super complex bass lines because that would just clog up the music and make it alot less accessible to the public, and if i were making a heap of money from playing catchy songs that people likes then i'd keep doing it. Not everything has to be hard to play, it is pop-punk after all :p, pete wentz is still a bit of a glory hog but i dont think he really deserves all the flak he gets, he also writes some catchy lyrics and some occasionaly bass lines that get stuck in your head like dance dance.
    you probably wont even be noticed cause what you say is the exact reason why he plays easy stuff. i cant imagine fob with crazy bass lines lol. another thing, hes probably not that bad because ultimate-guitar themselves chose to interview him!
    Wentz told Ultimate-Guitar that there were a few kinks that needed to be worked out after the June 13 debut show, but he hopes that FNMTV Premieres will finally give artists and record labels a reason to put time, money, and creativity back into music videos.
    Tin_man
    jokefeat wrote: I don't get it, what's wrong with my super sweet 16?
    Hahaha! +1 I have no faith in Pete Wentz. It is POSSIBLE to keep your sound (if you want) and actually write intelligent music. CCR wasn't complicated music, but at least they tried. Pete's been playing for what...? 9 years, someone said... How pathetic is that? If he really cared about his fans OR the music, he would invest a lot more time into making music instead of manufacturing it. You want to know why most people on this thread think FoB sucks so bad? Because they're nothing special. Sure, they're catchy, but that doesn't matter in the long run. Catchiness is only a part of being one of those timeless bands (usually...). In 25 years, no one will care who Fall Out Boy was, because they don't push themselves to anything. They'll be rich and happy in 25 years, yeah, but their contribution to the world will be several CDs full of 30+ minutes of emptiness and catchy fluff. I think anybody can make good music. It just disappoints me that no one seems to try anymore. There is hope for FoB. Not much, but...
    Guitard 1988
    Although the music they play is crap, at least it's music. I'd rather watch music videos by shitty bands over any episode of the hills any day! And you never know a person's playing potential. Just look at John5. A lot of the stuff he played with Manson is very easy and simple but he's one hell of a guitarist! I'm not saying that Wentz is going to be the next Claypool or anything, just that he may have more tricks up his sleeve than you think...
    vermilion444
    Jdwcomic wrote: one word Guyliner saying that any guy who wears eyeliner is an emo fag it looks dumb as f*** I wouldnt get caught DEAD wearing ANY make-up besides going to the midnight premeire of a comicbook movie
    I love the homophobes on this board. Not only is it lame to hate on someone for that, but it's hypocritical. When's the last time you saw Ozzy without makeup? Kurt Cobain used to wear makeup, Alexi Laiho wears makeup. I don't see anyone flipping out being all "Fags! Buncha queers!" Get over it. Just b/c you're insecure with your sexuality doesn't make THEM gay for throwing on a little eyeliner. I didn't realize this message board was for dumb redneck jocks, I thought it was for people that love and appreciate music and guitar in particular. So you don't like his band, so what? If every band sounded the same (ie. your favorite band), how ****ing boring would that be? Learn to respect other people's opinions, seriously. It's not worth getting all worked b/c people like a band you don't find appealing.
    bendystraw
    people still want to see interesting and exciting things? i had given up on our boring youth! alert the media!
    FbSa
    For everyone that keeps commenting on how much Fall out boy sucks, the articles not really about Fob, it's more about the show he's producing. Just trying to save you guys from getting warned.
    smalRaptor
    Hate to break it to you guys, but Kurt Cobain was a pretty average guitar player. I'm a huge Nirvana fan, I have most of their albums. It was his creativity that made him great.
    original=punk
    Noverion wrote: Wow, interesting to see that he used to do some death metal! I dont really like the guy, but people take the whole thing way too damn far, hes just a musician trying to make money right? Trying to make a living
    He did metalcore.
    HemlockCocktail
    I'll amend my last statement, even better musicians would no carry the sheer levels of douchebaggery and U.S.I. that Wentz has...so that makes me doubly mad...
    Hergiswi
    Matt4mayor wrote: I love how you people think you are so big and bad by bashing Pete, his bass, and his wife when in truth, you are the people who probably have no musical ability at all, and you have no wife or girlfriend at all. Pete can play well enough for FOB to make s-loads of money and he loves wat he does which is more to say for you lame people working dead end jobs. Love Ya Pete!
    I love how you get off to defending celebrities on the internet. You're a waste.
    whitebluesboy
    I like fall out boy's tunes and I think he is a famous bassist but I often question bass endorsements for pop punk guitarists.
    dvd_dq
    i don't c any metallica or guns & roses influence in his playing.
    TheClincher
    i think everyone should quit bitching about how pete wentz sucks, etc...he's actually doing some good, for once. i never thought i'd ever say this, but +1 to pete wentz for doing this.
    pnkr0cker
    qwerty_555 wrote: JRowe3388 wrote: Say what you want about FOB, but I'll give this to them. Their music videos are pretty entertaining. And they all star Pete Wentz. All he does is plays the bass, and even at that he's not very good. Patrick Stump never really gets recognition as the lead singer. (I'm not a fan of FOB by the way)
    first of all, patrick is camera-shy. second of all pete wentz usually shows the most energy in the band besides joe. besides pete should be more known for his clever lyrics, not his bass skill
    MonsterOfRock
    I'm a guitarist. But when I first picked up the bass, I was better than him. (*on topic*, good idea for a programme, but probably a bad idea, as we all know.)
    Toxtoth_O_Grady
    I don't like FOB, but this shows at least some good intentions. It'd be nice to see MTV playing music videos again.
    pnkr0cker
    Melodic Rocker]Pete Wentz and FOB are nothing but sell out corporate tools with shitty music that never evolves or changes with new albums.
    dude heres a summery for each albums sound. take this to your grave- indie, pop-punk, alternative from under the cork tree - rock, alternative, pop infinity on high- r&b-ish, rock, pop-rock if you listened to their songs that werent on the radio you could easily say they are creative. most people dont like them anymore because their new album sound so much more different than their old stuff. mainly what im trying to say is, dont judge them by their songs on the radio because they generally sound totally different than their other songs.
    m1chael w0rkman
    Craigadams93 wrote: Sylvanus wrote: whiteraven119 wrote: I don't understand how you people can be such jerks about this guy. So you don't like Fall Out Boy's music, that's good for you. You don't have to go and smear Pete Wentz's name every single chance you get. There's a slight chance he's actually going to READ a few of these comments and you people who are bashing him probably realize this. I'm willing to bet he's going to just sit there and laugh to himself at the people who think it's "cool" to say he and Fall Out Boy are failures. If he does see this particular comment, I hope he realizes that there are still people who don't jump on the "I-Hate-Pete-Wentz" bandwagon, who realize that he could actually be a pretty cool guy in person, despite what the entire internet would say. That's actually a good point, not saying I like fall out boy though because I haven't even heard any of their songs. I did see a few of his bass tabs and it looks like he isn't anything special musically though. ...ok we don't hate Pete Wentz as a person... his bass lines are like beginner
    No. I hate Pete Wentz as a person. He does nothing but sell his own image and try to make it look like he actually gives a crap about the music industry. When the music industry stops having pop-punk bands at the top of the charts again, he'll abandon ship and probably start a clothing line. Guys In Girls' Pants Apparel. Or something like that. /rant.
    [travis]
    Craigadams93 wrote: Sylvanus wrote: whiteraven119 wrote: I don't understand how you people can be such jerks about this guy. So you don't like Fall Out Boy's music, that's good for you. You don't have to go and smear Pete Wentz's name every single chance you get. There's a slight chance he's actually going to READ a few of these comments and you people who are bashing him probably realize this. I'm willing to bet he's going to just sit there and laugh to himself at the people who think it's "cool" to say he and Fall Out Boy are failures. If he does see this particular comment, I hope he realizes that there are still people who don't jump on the "I-Hate-Pete-Wentz" bandwagon, who realize that he could actually be a pretty cool guy in person, despite what the entire internet would say. That's actually a good point, not saying I like fall out boy though because I haven't even heard any of their songs. I did see a few of his bass tabs and it looks like he isn't anything special musically though. ...ok we don't hate Pete Wentz as a person... his bass lines are like beginner
    I'm more on the "Pete Wentz sucks, period." side.
    HemlockCocktail
    jakehendrixman wrote: PETE WENTZ IS SUCH A TOOL
    Don't drag Tool into this one...
    XSider wrote: I don't like them either, but guys. Relax. You cannot hate him this much.
    Mention Pete "Lightning" Wentz in the Bass Forum if you really want to see new levels of hatred... I can forgive simple bass lines if they fit the music, I can forgive a bassist wanting to be the focal point of the music video as a bassist (it IS against the norm after all), I can forgive him for Ashlee, she is kinda hot...but I can't forgive his severe U.S.I. (Unwarranted Self-Importance). His manner would be more suited with musicians far better than Wentz. The songs are catchy, and they've made it, I'll take nothing away from them, but it does anger me that someone with marginal talent makes it while friends and members here @ UG still get passed up and have to settle for crappy 9-5 jobs.