Slash: 'I Needed To Do Something Where I Was A Captain Of My Own Ship'

This is one of the very first conversations Slash has had about his new record.

Slash: 'I Needed To Do Something Where I Was A Captain Of My Own Ship'
0
Everybody in the world knows Slash as the guitarist from Guns N Roses and Velvet Revolver. The guy in the top hat with the cascading black curls standing in front of Marshall and shouldering Les Paul. But not a whole lot of people know him as a prolific songwriter and guitarist in a variety of different styles including metal, Americana, and Zeppelin-influenced rock. For the last two years, he has been working on a solo album, writing songs that wouldn't fit into the Velvet Revolver repertoire and finding singers to sing them. He has brought together everyone from Ozzy and M. Shadows to Lemmy in a project that showcases the guitarist as an instrumentalist capable of burning through speed metal licks as well as laying down quasi-Stones country blues licks. This is one of the very first conversations Slash has had about the new record [untitled as of this writing, the interview was conducted in December 2009]. UG: We spoke back in September of 2009 and you were already talking about a solo record then. This project must have been a long time in the making. Slash: What happened was I wrote this book [Slash] and one of the passages in the book, I said something about, The next record I'd like to do would be a record where I could get a lot of people that I've worked with to come and sing on my record as opposed to me always going and jamming and doing sessions for other people. And I was starting to think outside of the box at that point because the Velvet thing I knew wasn't gonna last much longer than that tour. At least the lineup that we had. That's when you started giving thought to a solo album? So I was starting to think of other things and I needed the outlet. I needed to do something where I was just captain of my own ship for a minute. I'm not saying that I want to do this permanently but I just needed to, after all the stuff with Guns N Roses and then Velvet Revolver, I just needed to do something to sort of get my own ya yas out. You didn't want to do another Snakepit-styled record? I didn't want to put together another band. Snakepit was a band; everybody wrote, everybody had equal input even though I had my name on it. I'm so used to being in a band that I just never really tried to do anything else. So what happened was we finished the tour and Scott got fired right after we walked off the stage in Amsterdam. So as soon as I got home I started compiling material and started looking at a solo record. I started writing and doing all that kind of stuff. I also scored a movie so I was spending a lot of time just sort of creating. You were in a really musical place? I put together a bunch of material and I started thinking who would sound good. I did one song and said, This would sound great for Ozzy or the Fergie song (Beautiful Dangerous was totally pegged for her. And that's how the whole record was. You say that Fergie was the perfect person to sing this track you had written. You didn't have any other choices, for example, but Fergie on that music you were putting together? Yeah, exactly. There were a few songs I didn't know who was gonna sing but for the most part I put something together, listened to it, and thought, Who would sound great on that particular track? And most of it worked out; there were a couple people that I didn't necessarily get but it all worked out for the better because who I ended up getting on it was way better than my original idea.

"I'm so used to being in a band that I just never really tried to do anything else."

Were you thinking about vocal melodies during the demo stage? Did you have any rough ideas for vocals or anything? It was really sort of an open canvas for any singer that I chose. I was thinking more along the lines of I was putting choruses together and I'd put a bridge in. Sometimes it would only be two parts; sometimes it would be more of a song structure and just say, Have at it. It's totally open to your interpretation and we change the arrangement if need be. Whatever it is. We will go back and get some more details on these songs. Josh Freese and Chris Cheney was the main rhythm section for most of the album. Did you know the type of rhythm section you wanted to bring in? Did you know the types of players you wanted? Initially I thought of Josh and Josh took off on this Nine Inch Nails tour that looked like it was gonna take forever. So he was somebody that I wanted to use. I was trying to think of drummers; he was one of the guys that I really admired that I thought would be good. But he was on this tour and it was really funny because at one point when it was getting down to the wire and I was gonna go into Eric Valentine's studio and start working, I was sitting at home with my cell phone watching cartoons or something and thinking, Oh, who the fuck is gonna play drums cause Josh isn't around? and he called and said he just quit the Nine Inch Nails tour. So that's how that happened. And Chris is just the best session player that I know so I called him up. It's weird, I know two bass players: Duff obviously played in Guns N Roses and Velvet Revolver and Johnny [Griparic] who played in Snakepit. I didn't want to use Duff so I was tryin' to think of bass players and Chris I've worked with so many times and he's easy going and he learns quickly. Having a quality rhythm section like that must have been great for you. Those two guys pretty much made it really easy to record this record. What I would do was whatever state of progress the demo was, either finished or however many ideas, with a vocal or without a vocal, I'd bring it in and we would learn the song that morning and then have it recorded in its entirety by that night. So we'd work up the arrangement with no sweat, no complaints, no issues, no hassle; it was just breezing. So they were a Godsend those two guys. Josh actually used a number of different drum kits on the album? Eric was originally a drummer and he knows drums. That's why we have his kits. [Valentine had about 10 different sets in the studio] He knows exactly what they would sound like. Eric was almost like having a bandmember because Eric, when I first met him, I picked him out of like a dozen producers. Eric Valentine did talk about spending a fair amount of time dialing in guitar sounds and testing different amps and microphones and guitars. We started out complicated and it ended up very simple. We ended up with one guitar [1959 Les Paul copy built by Chris Derrig; same guitar that Slash used on Appetite for Destruction] and one head [Marshall JCM800 Lead Series modded top] that drove the whole record. The main things we would find were not guitars but amps; combination of amps to do the other guitar parts. So it wasn't exactly the same as the main guitar track. And so we would have a Vox [AC-30] or a Magnatone [also a 1959 Fender Bassman was used for clean guitars] and all these different things and just trying to find a guitar sound that would sound like another guitar and complement this guitar. That didn't take that long and a lot of time I'd let Eric run with that. I already got the one Marshall/Les Paul sound and he had fun finding whatever; if I liked it we used it and if I didn't like it we'd keep dicking with it. So it was just the Les Paul and the Marshall? Yeah. Which was great because it's come full circle where I only owned one amp and one guitar to all this stuff I've picked up over the years and experimented with that and the other. All the way back to I only need the one amp and one guitar. How much time did you actually take dialing in sounds and cutting tracks? Well, it was one of the most enjoyable and relaxed kind of sessions [I've ever done]. If we started a song, we'd take one day and get all the rhythm stuff and then come in and do guitars. We'd do all of that in that afternoon and having something finished by that night. Except if it had to have an acoustic part; we'd do that the next day. Crucify the Dead is Ozzy's track and there some cool picking parts on there with this kind of lo-fi guitar tone. I used a Goldtop for the solo and the single note stuff; just for the intro. That was one of the songs that originally was a piece of music that I used for this movie. The movie is called This is Not a Movie and it's a low-budget independent film. It's really very cool. So I had that music that I wrote for this particular scene and then after I had written it, I was going, That would make a great Ozzy song. I sort of made a whole song out of it and sent it to Ozzy.

"I put together a bunch of material and I started thinking who would sound good."

Ozzy actually recorded this at his home studio. Were you there when he cut the vocal? Yeah. It was great; I'm glad you brought that up. I've known Ozzy for a while; we met in the late 80s. He's one of those icons that I sort of grew up with and I've had defined experiences listening to Sabbath and listening to Ozzy growing up. It's like the background music to my life. Anyway to be sitting next to Ozzy working on one of my songs and him singing into the microphone, to have that voice just sort of casually singing right next to me was definitely an experience. It was very cool. He was writing and working on the lyrics and singing into the microphone. Your solo had a bit of that Eric Clapton woman tone where he dials off the treble? Is that what you were doing? It's not inspired by Clapton but I love Clapton a lot. I discovered a long time for me as part of my playing when we were doing the Guns N Roses Use Your Illusions records, turning the tone knob off on the rhythm pickup. And I did it for like Heaven's Door I think was one of the most recognizable places I used it. And so it's just become a thing with me and it pops up here and there and that's what that was. And it's just something that I've been doing that I really like; it's such a great, warm, bluesy sound. That is exactly what Clapton does. Yeah, but I didn't know Eric did it. The Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins does high harmonies on Crucify the Dead? Yeah, I wasn't there when Taylor came down and did that. You remarked earlier on the Andrew Stockdale track. By the Sword has acoustic guitars a cool sort of guitar/vocal line that is happening. It was the main riff and that was there before. I did have a couple of those parts but when it came to doing the verse, it sort of wrote itself because he started singing it that way and so I put the sort of guitar underneath it. There is sort of a Zep feel to this one? Oh, yeah, you can't knock it. But it's as cool a Zeppelin homage as I could think of. It's definitely there but it's in good taste. The acoustic guitar is a huge part of the sound on By the Sword. I shouldn't say this but I have to be honest it was actually a Martin. Martin sent me a brand new guitar for the studio because I needed something acoustic and it just sounded amazing. It's one of the best sounding acoustic guitars I've ever heard. Trevor Adkinson who worked at Barefoot Studios and tuned your guitars and helped with the album, said you had to take off some of your jewelry to record acoustics? Yeah, I had to take all my shit off. Talking about recording your solos, Trevor took some photos of you and you stand up when you record a solo. You don't sit down. Is there a reason for that? There are times when you're soloing that you'll tend to sit down because it's meticulous or whatever it is. But sometimes it needs to be raw energy and the only way you can really get that is to stand up. So I would pick and choose. Having Lemmy in the studio doing Doctor Alibi must have been cool. That was another great moment; having Lemmy come down. Because Lemmy was one of those guys that I so looked up to and I still do. When I was a kid, I was one of those Lemmy fans that would bow in his presence. And we got to be friends and he's always sort of taken me under his wing kind of thing and he's always been really cool. Lemmy is one of those kinds of guys who can have a real serious attitude if he wants to. He's actually a really nice guy in general. I always thought he was sort of intimidating but he was always really nice to me. And I've had a chance to work with him; I've played on one of their records [March or Die] and I've done a lot of gigs with em. I asked him if he'd be interested and I sent him the thing and he got it right away and he came down to the studio. Lemmy must have been a little crazy in the studio? We had bottle of Jack Daniels and a couple bags of potato chips and it reminded me of when I used to show up at sessions. It was great. And the song is all about how the doctor told him how he might have to quit partying and then another doctor said, No, you need to continue. It's a great personal thing; I'm really honored to have it on there. Nothing to Say is Slash going metal. Avenged Sevenfold's M. Shadows does the vocal here and your playing is pretty brutal. We're managed by the same people and I had this one idea that was all this duga duga duga duga duga duga [mimics fast metal lick] and that's something I've always wanted to do. I'm a huge Megadeth and Metallica fan and I can't do it in Velvet and it definitely wasn't gonna happen in Guns. I was like, OK, I wanna do this song and who is gonna sing it? Dave Mustaine came to mind and it would have been awesome with Dave but at the same time I had Ozzy and Iggy and Lemmy that sort of represented a certain generation. And I had Ian Astbury and stuff so I didn't want to go too sort of my generation and fill it all up that way. So the idea of Sevenfold came from management and I was really familiar with them so I thought, Let's give it a shot and see what happens.

"It was really sort of an open canvas for any singer that I chose."

What do you think of M. Shadows' performance? I think he brought his A game to the table. I think this particular song is one of the best songs I've heard him do. Melodic. Your solo was really burning. Did you have to warm up for that one? It's that tempo of a song so you have to sort of just go there. When I did the original demo as was the case for a lot of songs on the record, all the demos had one-take solos. Right? And when you don't have the pressure of worrying about the red light or whatever it is, there's a certain laid back thing to doing demos and the performances that might be on there. And I ended up keeping the basic idea for most of the songs when I went into really do them. I was like, The demo is great and that's called demoitis. Certain key things in there I tried to keep and so that's what that solo is. It's just a real free-form kind of thing but I knew there were certain sections that I wanted to keep and try to keep those melodies close to what they originally were. It's spontaneous but I'm hearing something that I had done spontaneously before. Are the solos on the record first-take type performances? Yeah, the first couple takes, and just hope that you manage to capture that feel of whatever it was that you were trying to sort of emulate without learning it note-by-note. When you really think about it, you making this type of record really makes sense. Because you have done all these different kinds of sessions and worked with different types of musicians on their albums so you do have all these different musical experiences. I needed to get it out of my system. But the timing was such that I couldn't have made this record anytime prior to this particular period. The motivation was there but also it took all these years to collect enough credibility to call up a guy like Steve Ferrone and say, Hey, would you come down and play on a track? It was nerve wracking just to make the phone calls and see whether they would do it or not. But I'm sure it might not have been as easy had I not established these relationships with people. And it was a perfect time to do it because Velvet at least with Scott had run its course. I couldn't go through that process of auditioning singers and get that all back together to do another Velvet record. I really needed a break from the band vibe. So maybe it was in the cards to do this now. That's where Velvet is at this point? Still looking for a singer, yeah. Now that the record is done and you've spent two years on your vision, is it what you thought it would be? I didn't even know what I was doing; I really had no idea what it was gonna be like. I was actually sort of surprised at how much came out spontaneously or self-consciously; how all the ideas really sort of came. Because going into it I didn't really know. I was putting musical ideas together and I was very focused but I didn't know what it was gonna end up like at the end of the day. Interview by Steven Rosen Ultimate-Guitar.Com 2010
Exclusive studio photos from "Slash" recording sessions:
  • Studio Photo 1
  • Studio Photo 2
  • Studio Photo 3
  • Studio Photo 4: Slash's Guitars
  • Studio Photo 5: Slash & Fergie
  • Studio Photo 6
  • Studio Photo 7: Matt Sorum
  • Studio Photo 8
  • Studio Photo 9: Iggy Pop Session notes for "Slash" songs by Trevor Adkinson (Barefoot Studios manager):
  • "Beautiful Dangerous" w/ Fergie Session Notes: Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3
  • "Instrumental Jam" (final title "Watch This") w/ Duff McKagan, Dave Grohl, Slash Session Notes: Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3
  • "Voices (With Nothing To Say)" w/ Matt (Avenged Sevenfold) Session Notes: Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3
  • 90 comments sorted by best / new / date

    comments policy
      Jyrgen
      thrashmonkey wrote: They were both blasted, the point is Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play whereas Axl is pretty much just a washed up arrogant rock star who cant release good music these days. Dont get me wrong, i love me some G n'R, but nowadays Axl's situation is just sad.
      Every Slash article, no matter if it is about Guns, turns into a Slash vs. Axl battle. This is stupid - anyway: Axl was never an addict. "Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play?" So do you mean Axl can't play piano anymore, or sing? Cause he can still do both very well. Who's arrogant now? Sure it's cool to bash that evil Axl but why to oppose Guns N' Roses that strongly for no evident reason, other that you don't like Chi Dem? How come his situation is sad?
      Hearshot Kid94
      C0FF1NCAS3 wrote: You know what? Slash represents something, and that's where we all start and wanted to go when we started playing. The intersection of who we are and who we want to be. For as much crap and worship as he's given it all boils down to him getting up there and playing pentatonic scales and power chords and he does it better than all of us(and looks damn good doing it I think). An in all honesty he's the last of that breed, the last of the guys that grew out their hair played till their fingers bled and made it out of sheer will and skill. This album is more of an excuse for him to play with people he like and/or admires and he's just sticking it out there for the fans and making a little money along the way(professional musician, kind of in the job description). Slash really can't sell out in terms of today, because he comes from a different era of music and I can't see him playing in a super group or whoring himself out to record labels or pop bands. Also on the GNR deal I'll never get how people side with Axl. I mean he's Axl, the man was literally full on drugged up and blasted out of his mind all the time. Really there should be no debate since everyone who's ever been in a band knows how much work that is and what a pain in the ass people are. Now think about the guys in GNR, that was gonna crash and burn from day one.
      kudos to you! as for me, i know that he doesn't need money, and if he did, he would have taken the GNR reunion offer. sure fergie's own music kind of makes me sick, but at least i know she has a good voice. it's not like slash is going to lay down a guitar track on boom boom pow or whatever. SHE is singing for HIM.
      Rinky
      thrashmonkey wrote: Rinky wrote: WiZoRZ wrote: omg i wanted to see mustaine instead of avenged Mustaine is garbage, his voice is pathetic to say the least... Mustaine is one of metal's greatest figures, and youre a dick if you can't realize this.
      Please, tell what Mustaine has really contributed... Believe me I love metal and I cant stand to listen to him. It doesnt change the fact that Mustaine still isnt on the record and Shadows is. Shadows has a good voice.
      thrashmonkey
      SFosterS wrote: C0FF1NCAS3 wrote: You know what? Slash represents something, and that's where we all start and wanted to go when we started playing. The intersection of who we are and who we want to be. For as much crap and worship as he's given it all boils down to him getting up there and playing pentatonic scales and power chords and he does it better than all of us(and looks damn good doing it I think). An in all honesty he's the last of that breed, the last of the guys that grew out their hair played till their fingers bled and made it out of sheer will and skill. This album is more of an excuse for him to play with people he like and/or admires and he's just sticking it out there for the fans and making a little money along the way(professional musician, kind of in the job description). Slash really can't sell out in terms of today, because he comes from a different era of music and I can't see him playing in a super group or whoring himself out to record labels or pop bands. Also on the GNR deal I'll never get how people side with Axl. I mean he's Axl, the man was literally full on drugged up and blasted out of his mind all the time. Really there should be no debate since everyone who's ever been in a band knows how much work that is and what a pain in the ass people are. Now think about the guys in GNR, that was gonna crash and burn from day one. C0FF1NCAS3 wrote: You know what? Slash represents something, and that's where we all start and wanted to go when we started playing. The intersection of who we are and who we want to be. For as much crap and worship as he's given it all boils down to him getting up there and playing pentatonic scales and power chords and he does it better than all of us(and looks damn good doing it I think). An in all honesty he's the last of that breed, the last of the guys that grew out their hair played till their fingers bled and made it out of sheer will and skill. This album is more of an excuse for him to play with people he like and/or admires and he's just sticking it out there for the fans and making a little money along the way(professional musician, kind of in the job description). Slash really can't sell out in terms of today, because he comes from a different era of music and I can't see him playing in a super group or whoring himself out to record labels or pop bands. Also on the GNR deal I'll never get how people side with Axl. I mean he's Axl, the man was literally full on drugged up and blasted out of his mind all the time. Really there should be no debate since everyone who's ever been in a band knows how much work that is and what a pain in the ass people are. Now think about the guys in GNR, that was gonna crash and burn from day one. Axl wasn't blasted all the time at all, go do some reading by people who are neither Axl nor Slash and get some unbiased information. P.s. Slash said himself in his book that he has died 28 times from overdoses! Even if Axl was blasted all the time Slash was no better. I love Slash as a guitar player, but I love Axl too.
      They were both blasted, the point is Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play whereas Axl is pretty much just a washed up arrogant rock star who cant release good music these days. Dont get me wrong, i love me some G n'R, but nowadays Axl's situation is just sad.
      PDE
      I find it curious that in every interview and published track listing, there is no mention of Steven Adler playing on this album. Adler has pics up on his myspace showing himself, Flea and Slash in a studio. I wonder if Adler will actually be on the record? There is a 'rumor' that Adler (and Flea) play on the track, "Baby Can't Drive" along with (officially announced) Alice Cooper and Nicole Scherzinger.
      gnrledzep4eva
      God damn this is a helluva album. "Watch This" is personally my favorite track and could rival the instrumentals of Metallica any day!
      TwanJoker
      ima go to first concert near my area n wear my slash t shirt hes awesome, after i listened to welcome to the jungle i wanted to learn guitar now two years later here i am ^-^ hehe proud to be a girl guitarist
      Rinky
      Jyrgen wrote: thrashmonkey wrote: They were both blasted, the point is Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play whereas Axl is pretty much just a washed up arrogant rock star who cant release good music these days. Dont get me wrong, i love me some G n'R, but nowadays Axl's situation is just sad. Every Slash article, no matter if it is about Guns, turns into a Slash vs. Axl battle. This is stupid - anyway: Axl was never an addict. "Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play?" So do you mean Axl can't play piano anymore, or sing? Cause he can still do both very well. Who's arrogant now? Sure it's cool to bash that evil Axl but why to oppose Guns N' Roses that strongly for no evident reason, other that you don't like Chi Dem? How come his situation is sad?
      Everything you said was spot on... right up until you said Axl could still sing. He doesnt even sing anymore, he talks and sounds terrible on top of it.
      TheStank
      Um, I think the interviewer got the bassist's name wrong. Chris Cheney is the lead singer/guitarist of The Living End. Chris Chaney is the ex-Jane's Addiction bassist.
      §ynysterSte
      looks good, i wasn't psyched at first cause im not really a "slash fan" mainly because i didn't like the music he played guitar too. (just opinion) But now he seems he can bring other genres to the table and it should be really interesting what captain slash can really do. PEOPLE SHOULD NOT JUDGE UNTIL THEY HAVE LISTENED. Don't judge others doing a a completely different record by the band they're assosciated with, be a bit open minded.
      thrashmonkey
      Rinky wrote: WiZoRZ wrote: omg i wanted to see mustaine instead of avenged Mustaine is garbage, his voice is pathetic to say the least...
      Mustaine is one of metal's greatest figures, and youre a dick if you can't realize this.
      metalfr3ak666
      Rinky wrote: WiZoRZ wrote: omg i wanted to see mustaine instead of avenged Mustaine is garbage, his voice is pathetic to say the least... tripleainto wrote: Ultan000 wrote: I hate it when people say selling out..... So he's doing something with fergie... She's a good singer, and his friend.. Quit whinging and get over it... He has enough money to last him a lifetime, so he wouldn't need to go mainstream or "sell out" just for cash... He's a brilliant guitarist, wanting to try new things, and no one will ever know who's side of the story was true, axl's or slash's... And yes I ****ing love slash, but still.. ...well keep your fingers crossed for Angus Young to collaborate with Lady Gaga! I'm glad my post has created for some good debates on this page. Whos the attention ***** now?
      MUSTAINE IS NOT FUCKING GARBAGE YOU DICKHEAD!!!!! ....yes i am a megadeth fanboy. And it would be a lot more awesome if slash collaborated with dave mustaine rather than shadows, because (in my opinion) megadeth's music is much better than A7X.
      metalfr3ak666
      Rinky wrote: WiZoRZ wrote: omg i wanted to see mustaine instead of avenged Mustaine is garbage, his voice is pathetic to say the least... tripleainto wrote: Ultan000 wrote: I hate it when people say selling out..... So he's doing something with fergie... She's a good singer, and his friend.. Quit whinging and get over it... He has enough money to last him a lifetime, so he wouldn't need to go mainstream or "sell out" just for cash... He's a brilliant guitarist, wanting to try new things, and no one will ever know who's side of the story was true, axl's or slash's... And yes I ****ing love slash, but still.. ...well keep your fingers crossed for Angus Young to collaborate with Lady Gaga! I'm glad my post has created for some good debates on this page. Whos the attention ***** now?
      MUSTAINE IS NOT FUCKING GARBAGE YOU DICKHEAD!!!!! ....yes i am a megadeth fanboy. And it would be a lot more awesome if slash collaborated with dave mustaine rather than shadows, because (in my opinion) megadeth's music is much better than A7X.
      Rinky
      WiZoRZ wrote: omg i wanted to see mustaine instead of avenged
      Mustaine is garbage, his voice is pathetic to say the least...
      tripleainto wrote: Ultan000 wrote: I hate it when people say selling out..... So he's doing something with fergie... She's a good singer, and his friend.. Quit whinging and get over it... He has enough money to last him a lifetime, so he wouldn't need to go mainstream or "sell out" just for cash... He's a brilliant guitarist, wanting to try new things, and no one will ever know who's side of the story was true, axl's or slash's... And yes I ****ing love slash, but still.. ...well keep your fingers crossed for Angus Young to collaborate with Lady Gaga! I'm glad my post has created for some good debates on this page.
      Whos the attention ***** now?
      MyUserName777
      You gotta love that people call him sellout just because his choice of vocalists doesn't fit with their opinion of "ideal". This sounds like a personal record, not some cheap cash in so get over yourselves. Although Mustaine would've been cool on the record,I think M. Shadows is better suited for the song from what I've heard. You also need Mustaine's guitar playing to complement his voice so I can't say it would've worked out.
      Hellview
      How many interviews/posts about slash's new album is UG going to post? We freakin know already damn.
      Tarsplitter
      metalfr3ak666 wrote: MUSTAINE IS NOT FUCKING GARBAGE YOU DICKHEAD!!!!! ....yes i am a megadeth fanboy. And it would be a lot more awesome if slash collaborated with dave mustaine rather than shadows, because (in my opinion) megadeth's music is much better than A7X.
      It doesn't matter if Megadeth's music is better than Avenged Sevenfold's. The only thing that matters is that Shadows is a better singer than Mustaine.
      SFosterS
      C0FF1NCAS3 wrote: You know what? Slash represents something, and that's where we all start and wanted to go when we started playing. The intersection of who we are and who we want to be. For as much crap and worship as he's given it all boils down to him getting up there and playing pentatonic scales and power chords and he does it better than all of us(and looks damn good doing it I think). An in all honesty he's the last of that breed, the last of the guys that grew out their hair played till their fingers bled and made it out of sheer will and skill. This album is more of an excuse for him to play with people he like and/or admires and he's just sticking it out there for the fans and making a little money along the way(professional musician, kind of in the job description). Slash really can't sell out in terms of today, because he comes from a different era of music and I can't see him playing in a super group or whoring himself out to record labels or pop bands. Also on the GNR deal I'll never get how people side with Axl. I mean he's Axl, the man was literally full on drugged up and blasted out of his mind all the time. Really there should be no debate since everyone who's ever been in a band knows how much work that is and what a pain in the ass people are. Now think about the guys in GNR, that was gonna crash and burn from day one.
      C0FF1NCAS3 wrote: You know what? Slash represents something, and that's where we all start and wanted to go when we started playing. The intersection of who we are and who we want to be. For as much crap and worship as he's given it all boils down to him getting up there and playing pentatonic scales and power chords and he does it better than all of us(and looks damn good doing it I think). An in all honesty he's the last of that breed, the last of the guys that grew out their hair played till their fingers bled and made it out of sheer will and skill. This album is more of an excuse for him to play with people he like and/or admires and he's just sticking it out there for the fans and making a little money along the way(professional musician, kind of in the job description). Slash really can't sell out in terms of today, because he comes from a different era of music and I can't see him playing in a super group or whoring himself out to record labels or pop bands. Also on the GNR deal I'll never get how people side with Axl. I mean he's Axl, the man was literally full on drugged up and blasted out of his mind all the time. Really there should be no debate since everyone who's ever been in a band knows how much work that is and what a pain in the ass people are. Now think about the guys in GNR, that was gonna crash and burn from day one.
      Axl wasn't blasted all the time at all, go do some reading by people who are neither Axl nor Slash and get some unbiased information. P.s. Slash said himself in his book that he has died 28 times from overdoses! Even if Axl was blasted all the time Slash was no better. I love Slash as a guitar player, but I love Axl too.
      Astaldo
      How many interviews/posts about slash's new album is UG going to post? We freakin know already damn.
      +1000
      lanceAlot9009
      this should be a great album. gives slash the chance to branch out on his own as a musician
      maidenfan15
      Rinky wrote: Jyrgen wrote: thrashmonkey wrote: They were both blasted, the point is Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play whereas Axl is pretty much just a washed up arrogant rock star who cant release good music these days. Dont get me wrong, i love me some G n'R, but nowadays Axl's situation is just sad. Every Slash article, no matter if it is about Guns, turns into a Slash vs. Axl battle. This is stupid - anyway: Axl was never an addict. "Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play?" So do you mean Axl can't play piano anymore, or sing? Cause he can still do both very well. Who's arrogant now? Sure it's cool to bash that evil Axl but why to oppose Guns N' Roses that strongly for no evident reason, other that you don't like Chi Dem? How come his situation is sad? Everything you said was spot on... right up until you said Axl could still sing. He doesnt even sing anymore, he talks and sounds terrible on top of it.
      Axl was great on Chinese Democracy.
      Lugnaz987
      Oh opinions, opinions, opinions. And whoever said Slash overdosed 28 times, did not read that book. It was once. not 28. I think the record should be decent. People who overly defend either Axl or Slash shouldn't because they don't know them. If anything Axl has been waaay more public about his Slash hating. From what i see Slash has discussed his distaste of Axl while remaining atleast somewhat "civil". Axl though blatantly attacks Slash at concerts and what not. Slash complemented Axl's singing many times in the book, for those who actually read it... And by the way no offense but Dave Mustaine sounds like the villain in a cartoon. Amazing guitar playing but very cheesy vocals.
      Jmoarguitar
      this is kind of off topic but have you noticed slash has been hinting that he's kinda sick of VR. I know he said velvet revolver at least with scott has run it's course, but i think he's pointing something much bigger out
      Big Spender
      espChris93 wrote: hahaha this guy just attacked dave mustaines singing and then backed up his arguement by saying that matt shadows is a good singer??? are you kidding me? either your a struggling comedian or you dont know the first thing about ACTUAL singing. Matt Shawdows(those dumbass names are stupid like zacky vengence and johnny christ ugh wtf) has a terrible voice for singing anyway with his limited range but his "screaming" from the first albums is beyond atrocious it rapes and destroys any ounce of musicality in the bands music which they dont need because they barely have any to begin with
      It's arrogant people like you that ruin UG. Have the decency to respect musicians for their abilities. Whether or not you like Shadows, his vocal range is MUCH larger than Mustaine's. However at the same time, that Isn't to say that Mustaine can't sing at all, his vocals suit Megadeth incredibly. Where do you get off saying Shadows can't sing. Yes, he did scream on A7X's first few albums but he's since started singing and as someone who started off in the Hardcore circle he's improved considerably in an incredibly short time. Similarly, Mustaine has 20 years on Shadows so who's to say you won't prefer his voice when they're similarly experienced? Just because you don't enjoy a band doesn't mean the musicians are terrible. Yngwie Malmsteen is a total ass, but he can still play the hell out of a guitar. Eminem stirs up needless controversy, but he can throw together a rhyme like nobodies business. Have the maturity to respect people for their gifts irrespective of your feelings about the music they play.
      Wotdeth
      I would like to see mustaine in this album... They could do a little guitar battle and mustaine could also sing. Come on Slash are you a affraid of competition on the guitar area?! Some guys in this forum are really stupid!
      Rinky : Mustaine is garbage, his voice is pathetic to say the least...
      Dennis187
      still not sure wether or not to buy this album....lol **** it im gonna preorder it on itunes right now =]
      Force Reaver
      Jyrgen wrote: Rinky wrote: Jyrgen wrote: thrashmonkey wrote: They were both blasted, the point is Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play whereas Axl is pretty much just a washed up arrogant rock star who cant release good music these days. Dont get me wrong, i love me some G n'R, but nowadays Axl's situation is just sad. Every Slash article, no matter if it is about Guns, turns into a Slash vs. Axl battle. This is stupid - anyway: Axl was never an addict. "Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play?" So do you mean Axl can't play piano anymore, or sing? Cause he can still do both very well. Who's arrogant now? Sure it's cool to bash that evil Axl but why to oppose Guns N' Roses that strongly for no evident reason, other that you don't like Chi Dem? How come his situation is sad? Everything you said was spot on... right up until you said Axl could still sing. He doesnt even sing anymore, he talks and sounds terrible on top of it.
      You have to have pretty high standards if you don't acknowledge that as singing.
      Actually that sounds like painful squeaks into a microphone. I rather listen to Nazareth if I want to here that sound.
      Jyrgen
      Rinky wrote: Jyrgen wrote: thrashmonkey wrote: They were both blasted, the point is Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play whereas Axl is pretty much just a washed up arrogant rock star who cant release good music these days. Dont get me wrong, i love me some G n'R, but nowadays Axl's situation is just sad. Every Slash article, no matter if it is about Guns, turns into a Slash vs. Axl battle. This is stupid - anyway: Axl was never an addict. "Slash appears to have cleaned up to the point where he can actually play?" So do you mean Axl can't play piano anymore, or sing? Cause he can still do both very well. Who's arrogant now? Sure it's cool to bash that evil Axl but why to oppose Guns N' Roses that strongly for no evident reason, other that you don't like Chi Dem? How come his situation is sad? Everything you said was spot on... right up until you said Axl could still sing. He doesnt even sing anymore, he talks and sounds terrible on top of it.
      You have to have pretty high standards if you don't acknowledge that as singing.
      espChris93
      Rinky wrote: thrashmonkey wrote: Rinky wrote: WiZoRZ wrote: omg i wanted to see mustaine instead of avenged Mustaine is garbage, his voice is pathetic to say the least... Mustaine is one of metal's greatest figures, and youre a dick if you can't realize this. Please, tell what Mustaine has really contributed... Believe me I love metal and I cant stand to listen to him. It doesnt change the fact that Mustaine still isnt on the record and Shadows is. Shadows has a good voice.
      hahaha this guy just attacked dave mustaines singing and then backed up his arguement by saying that matt shadows is a good singer??? are you kidding me? either your a struggling comedian or you dont know the first thing about ACTUAL singing. Matt Shawdows(those dumbass names are stupid like zacky vengence and johnny christ ugh wtf) has a terrible voice for singing anyway with his limited range but his "screaming" from the first albums is beyond atrocious it rapes and destroys any ounce of musicality in the bands music which they dont need because they barely have any to begin with
      Force Reaver
      tripleainto wrote: Honestly, this guy doesn't impress as much as he used to. He is an overrated guitarist living off his image. I always find it funny how he always blamed others like they were always at fault, Axl, Weiland, etc, but never himself. He was a drugged out fool for years and Axl put up with him. Axl is right, Slash is an attention *****. Good guitarists come a dime a dozen, but an incredible lead singer is impossible to find...Just ask Velvet Revolver!!! hahahahaha.
      What an incredibly angry little fan boy. down boy down
      fretman5000
      this album will tell you what slash is really like. its him doin his own thing so im interested to hear it. i like the fact that he has all these different singers and how he collaborated with so many ppl
      HammettFTW
      SlashWannabe1 wrote: Hmmm Slash has sold 90+ million records combined with all the bands and one off acts he's done and you fools want to call him a sell out for this record? come on this is purly for himself he doesn't need to sell out because anything he does turns to gold. Slash said in his book he would have toughed out a techno rock album with Axl or whatever he wanted to do, it was the fact Axl became such an a$$ hole and replaced half the band and redubbed his guitar parts with a stoner friends guitar why he left.
      Yeah this. Obviously he wanted Fergie on that track, and it sounds like he doesn't give a flying **** if you guys like her or not. Please, stop being close minded and remember that there are actually other tracks on the record, believe it or not.
      HammettFTW
      Johny Burninate wrote: First date near me,I'll be there with my "Wheres Axl?" shirt on
      Haha! At least he wouldn't stop in the middle of the concert telling security guards to take the shirt off. Unlike a certain person did when someone wore a "wheres Slash" T-shirt to their concert. Yeah sorry for the double post, but pretty psyched for the album. Loved Appetite for Destruction and Contraband good, but I'm sure this will top VR anyway.
      Jyrgen
      Highwaytohell wrote: Can slash go away so i can stop hearing him rip off jimmy page?
      That's quite close minded - how is he exactly ripping Page off? They both play blues based rock with LPs, yeah. Is that ripping off...?
      musicman789
      rockfreak611 wrote: metalfr3ak666 wrote: Silveroon009 wrote: Fergie can sing in Hard Rock... In Hip-Hop/Pop she's BS. She should stick with rock, that way she would do us all and herself a big favour. AHAHAHAHAHA "stick with rock?" since when were the black eyed peas considered hard rock? you've got it mixed up, Gergie is BS in ROCK and she should stick with hip hop and pop. Also, Slash is an awesome guitarist and writes really cool riffs and everything, but I kinda think he let Fergie onto his album for the attention and publicity. have you heard her version of "Gimme Shelter" with U2 and Mick Jagger at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concert? She is an excellent singer and has tons of soul in her singing. Sandly she wastes all of this talent with that ****ing nigger band.
      you should die...
      rockfreak611
      metalfr3ak666 wrote: Silveroon009 wrote: Fergie can sing in Hard Rock... In Hip-Hop/Pop she's BS. She should stick with rock, that way she would do us all and herself a big favour. AHAHAHAHAHA "stick with rock?" since when were the black eyed peas considered hard rock? you've got it mixed up, Gergie is BS in ROCK and she should stick with hip hop and pop. Also, Slash is an awesome guitarist and writes really cool riffs and everything, but I kinda think he let Fergie onto his album for the attention and publicity.
      have you heard her version of "Gimme Shelter" with U2 and Mick Jagger at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Concert? She is an excellent singer and has tons of soul in her singing. Sandly she wastes all of this talent with that ****ing nigger band.
      tripleainto
      He spoke shit of Axl and him wanting to try new things, meanwhile he teams up with Fergie. You call that R n'f R??? Same chick who did Boom Boom Pow and Fergilious. Gimme a f'n break. Take your top hat and shove it up your ass. A real rock musician surrounds himself with true rock musicians not top 40 clowns who are only in it for the money grab and the image.
      BTKA
      This is gonna be an awesome album. Being released by Classic Rock Mag on 6th April in UK.
      tripleainto
      Honestly, this guy doesn't impress as much as he used to. He is an overrated guitarist living off his image. I always find it funny how he always blamed others like they were always at fault, Axl, Weiland, etc, but never himself. He was a drugged out fool for years and Axl put up with him. Axl is right, Slash is an attention *****. Good guitarists come a dime a dozen, but an incredible lead singer is impossible to find...Just ask Velvet Revolver!!! hahahahaha.