Monday Fresh: Iron Maiden's Number Of The Beast Voted Best Album
While Iron Maiden is undoubtedly a heavy metal institution, mainstream recognition is not something that they are often afforded.
Posted on May 28, 2012 03:13 pm
While Iron Maiden is undoubtedly a heavy metal institution, mainstream recognition is not something that they are often afforded. A recent poll conducted by music retailer HMV, however, is set to change all that.
In a poll to mark the Queen of England's diamond jubilee, the store has been asking its customers to vote for their favorite British album of the past 60 years.
Winning 9.2% of the 30,000 votes cast, Maiden's landmark 1982 album Number Of The Beast went on to trump such heavyweight acts as Oasis, Pink Floyd and The Beatles.
The full top ten list is as follows, along with percentage of votes, is as follows:
01. Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast (9.18%)
02. Depeche Mode - Violator (6.30%)
03. The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (5.69)
04. The Beatles - Abbey Road (5.67%)
05. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (5.23%)
06. The Beatles - Revolver (4.01%)
07. Queen - A Night At The Opera (3.98%)
08. Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory? (3.91%)
09. Adele - 21 (3.07%)
10. The Beatles - White Album (2.60%)
Blabbermouth has published the following statement from HMV's Gennaro Castaldo:
"You often tend to see the same artists and albums dominate album polls, but with social media increasingly giving the most ardent and passionate fans a powerful voice, I think that's all going to change, and so it's no surprise that Iron Maiden have come out on top as their fans are renowned for being the most loyal and dedicated around. Congratulations to Iron Maiden we now know the number of the beast is, in fact, 1."
Iron Maiden are set to tour the US next month.