Black Sabbath Star Made Album During Chemotherapy

Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi has revealed that he was enduring chemotherapy during the recording of the band's new album.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
31

Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi has revealed that he was enduring chemotherapy during the recording of the band's new album.

The guitarist has announced that he received chemotherapy sessions for the treatment of lymphoma, after being diagnosed with cancer at the beginning of the year. The illness returned after plans for a reunion tour were already announced, however Iommi insisted on continuing on the project.

Speaking to Kerrang! Iommi mentioned his struggle, "It was good for me to do that. I did feel tired and sick - and it does make you sick, you start throwing up. But on the days when I felt I could do it, we were all there working."

Band mate Geezer Butler continued, "He was going to the hospital one day, and we'd go into the studio the next depending on how the chemo was affecting him."

The band have also announced that they have recorded 15 new tracks in all and expect to write a further two more for the new album, which has been described by Ozzy Osbourne as "f--king killer, man".

Black Sabbath are to headline this weekend's Download Festival at Donington Park.

Thanks for the report to Gigwise.com.

79 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Gibson0204
    I have to say, this man is a true inspiration. This is the definition of how a true role model should be. Full respect for Tony, incredible.
    BigSpence
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: You guys don't get it. It's better to have 10 excellent songs instead of 15 songs where only a handful are good and the rest are filler. Go back and look at the most respected metal / hard rock albums - they usually have 10 or less tracks. All Sabbath albums so far have never gone over 10 and that's because most metal bands focus on quality and substance over quantity. How many 14,15,16 track albums can you name where every song is a masterpiece?
    Shoot me for double posting, but Coheed and Cambria's Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness is a whole fifteen tracks of flawlessness.
    Maestro1600
    MrDo0m wrote: Maestro1600 wrote: powachord wrote: jurnag12 wrote: HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10. Seriously? There's an entire new, almost-classic line-up Black Sabbath album coming (After the last one, decades ago), and you're complaining that it has TOO MANY songs because that might make it seem alternative? These guys CREATED Metal. They could make a 27 track didgeridoo album for all it'd matter, and it'd still be awesome. Id buy it. And its "whittle", not "widdle". It's 'I'd', not 'Id' and 'it's', not 'its'. I'm sure you'll appreciate the advice and thank me for it, rather than see me as a patronising know-it-all. Afterall, you were happy to dish it out yourself. The commas and period belong before the end of the quotation mark, not after. lol, sorry dude I couldn't resist. Actually, I'm not even sure if I'm right. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this album. Tony Iommi is an inspiration to us all.
    You're not right, but that's cool, because I appreciate your honesty! If I was quoting a section that included punctuation, then I would've included it within the quotation marks. As I added the commas, though, they had to go outside.
    K33nbl4d3
    The guy's an absolute legend, no question... Did cancer really think it had a chance against a guy who could be a legendary guitarist with the tips of two of his fretboard fingers missing? Jokes aside, I wish him well, he's an inspiration...
    shredibanez24
    That's truly amazing, and I really hope Tony's treatment is going well too. Can't wait for this album!
    ndrummerc
    jurnag12 wrote: HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10. Seriously? There's an entire new, almost-classic line-up Black Sabbath album coming (After the last one, decades ago), and you're complaining that it has TOO MANY songs because that might make it seem alternative? These guys CREATED Metal. They could make a 27 track didgeridoo album for all it'd matter, and it'd still be awesome.
    One must never doubt the didgeridoo, like all things in Australia, it can and would kill you easily
    hardrocker64
    Hope they release and double album!
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10.
    MrDo0m
    Maestro1600 wrote: powachord wrote: jurnag12 wrote: HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10. Seriously? There's an entire new, almost-classic line-up Black Sabbath album coming (After the last one, decades ago), and you're complaining that it has TOO MANY songs because that might make it seem alternative? These guys CREATED Metal. They could make a 27 track didgeridoo album for all it'd matter, and it'd still be awesome. Id buy it. And its "whittle", not "widdle". It's 'I'd', not 'Id' and 'it's', not 'its'. I'm sure you'll appreciate the advice and thank me for it, rather than see me as a patronising know-it-all. Afterall, you were happy to dish it out yourself.
    The commas and period belong before the end of the quotation mark, not after. lol, sorry dude I couldn't resist. Actually, I'm not even sure if I'm right. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this album. Tony Iommi is an inspiration to us all.
    Seref
    i_am_metalhead wrote: Yeah because someone who continually screws over his band mates, acts like an arrogant prick constantly, and makes a sob story about having the most treatable form of cancer is a real role model. There are people way worse off medically than him and do more than he's doing. I've lost all respect for the man.
    I didn't even know it was possible to insult someone for having cancer.
    G.N.
    Wow. Now that's dedication. I applaud you, good sir. Hope to see you emerge victorious over that horrid disease once and for all.
    Voodoochile711
    Gibson0204 wrote: I have to say, this man is a true inspiration. This is the definition of how a true role model should be. Full respect for Tony, incredible. Yeah because someone who continually screws over his band mates, acts like an arrogant prick constantly, and makes a sob story about having the most treatable form of cancer is a real role model. There are people way worse off medically than him and do more than he's doing. I've lost all respect for the man.
    While it is the most treatable form of cancer, chemo is chemo dude. You probably have no idea what it's like to go through that treatment or you wouldn't say that. No matter what Iommi's like as a person, you gotta give him props for continuing to work through it.
    Northernmight
    How the **** do you loose respect for the man, when he's recording an album while having cancer? i mean, if you don't find it awesome, then you'd just not care - how on earth can it be a NEGATIVE thing?
    idontgiveafuk
    Too many tracks? the guy is 64 battling cancer and dealing with chemotherapy i'd figure he wants to release as much material as possible in d time he has on this earth in case god forbid things turn south, dio went during his fight with cancer and those guys were best friends! that's gotta b heavy on his mind too yano? the guy is an inspiration! as for mr "i_am_metalhead"'s comments sir you have got to be the dumbest most contradictory moron on d planet it was iommi who invented metal to begin with! so without him your username would probably be 'i_am_****head' as metal music would not exist as it is today! as for quality i figure maybe ozzy knows a thing or 2 bout good music nd i cant ****in wait to hear it
    i_am_metalhead
    Gibson0204 wrote: I have to say, this man is a true inspiration. This is the definition of how a true role model should be. Full respect for Tony, incredible.
    Yeah because someone who continually screws over his band mates, acts like an arrogant prick constantly, and makes a sob story about having the most treatable form of cancer is a real role model. There are people way worse off medically than him and do more than he's doing. I've lost all respect for the man.
    Revocati0n
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: You guys don't get it. It's better to have 10 excellent songs instead of 15 songs where only a handful are good and the rest are filler. Go back and look at the most respected metal / hard rock albums - they usually have 10 or less tracks. All Sabbath albums so far have never gone over 10 and that's because most metal bands focus on quality and substance over quantity. How many 14,15,16 track albums can you name where every song is a masterpiece?
    stop trying to defend yourself. you spoke ill of Sabbath. What a piece of shit comment that is. OF COURSE its going to be a masterpiece. Its ****ing Sabbath.
    ?Loki?
    Mr. Iommi you are amazing and an inspiration for us all, I would like to thank youfor paving the road for metal guitar riffs for all the ones that followed you, even a highschool guitarist like me who cannot stand the pop on the radio and still blares Paranoid and Black Sabbath. Thank You Mr. Tony Iommi
    Von II
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: You guys don't get it. It's better to have 10 excellent songs instead of 15 songs where only a handful are good and the rest are filler. Go back and look at the most respected metal / hard rock albums - they usually have 10 or less tracks. All Sabbath albums so far have never gone over 10 and that's because most metal bands focus on quality and substance over quantity. How many 14,15,16 track albums can you name where every song is a masterpiece?
    You do know that Paranoid was intended as a filler song right?
    floydfan07
    tony iommi is the ****ing riffmaster and one of the creators of metal and the fact that he worked on the album during chemo just makes me feel like a bitch compared to him lol
    guitargodwannab
    wow, i always knew tht he was a beast but this takes it to a whole new level. kudos to u fine sir
    powachord
    Maestro1600 wrote: powachord wrote: Maestro1600 wrote: MrDo0m wrote: Maestro1600 wrote: powachord wrote: jurnag12 wrote: HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10. Seriously? There's an entire new, almost-classic line-up Black Sabbath album coming (After the last one, decades ago), and you're complaining that it has TOO MANY songs because that might make it seem alternative? These guys CREATED Metal. They could make a 27 track didgeridoo album for all it'd matter, and it'd still be awesome. Id buy it. And its "whittle", not "widdle". It's 'I'd', not 'Id' and 'it's', not 'its'. I'm sure you'll appreciate the advice and thank me for it, rather than see me as a patronising know-it-all. Afterall, you were happy to dish it out yourself. The commas and period belong before the end of the quotation mark, not after. lol, sorry dude I couldn't resist. Actually, I'm not even sure if I'm right. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this album. Tony Iommi is an inspiration to us all. You're not right, but that's cool, because I appreciate your honesty! If I was quoting a section that included punctuation, then I would've included it within the quotation marks. As I added the commas, though, they had to go outside. Patronising? Yes. As well as condescending. All i did was point out a simple spelling mistake, then you took it to a new level of douchery. Well done. Thank you There are lots of people on here who make spelling mistakes, and lots of people who don't have English as a first language. If you're going to be the spelling police, then make sure your own posts are up to scratch. I didn't take the douchery to a new level, I maintained an existing level.
    Well played sir. I tip my hat to you.
    MrKyran
    Fucking wow. He is the living example of "Rock on" True inspiration...
    Maestro1600
    powachord wrote: Maestro1600 wrote: MrDo0m wrote: Maestro1600 wrote: powachord wrote: jurnag12 wrote: HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10. Seriously? There's an entire new, almost-classic line-up Black Sabbath album coming (After the last one, decades ago), and you're complaining that it has TOO MANY songs because that might make it seem alternative? These guys CREATED Metal. They could make a 27 track didgeridoo album for all it'd matter, and it'd still be awesome. Id buy it. And its "whittle", not "widdle". It's 'I'd', not 'Id' and 'it's', not 'its'. I'm sure you'll appreciate the advice and thank me for it, rather than see me as a patronising know-it-all. Afterall, you were happy to dish it out yourself. The commas and period belong before the end of the quotation mark, not after. lol, sorry dude I couldn't resist. Actually, I'm not even sure if I'm right. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this album. Tony Iommi is an inspiration to us all. You're not right, but that's cool, because I appreciate your honesty! If I was quoting a section that included punctuation, then I would've included it within the quotation marks. As I added the commas, though, they had to go outside. Patronising? Yes. As well as condescending. All i did was point out a simple spelling mistake, then you took it to a new level of douchery. Well done.
    Thank you There are lots of people on here who make spelling mistakes, and lots of people who don't have English as a first language. If you're going to be the spelling police, then make sure your own posts are up to scratch. I didn't take the douchery to a new level, I maintained an existing level.
    Anemo
    That's sweet Tony rocks, when I heard he had cancer I thought "that won't stop him", and I was damn right
    person9090
    iommi600 wrote: I mean... he's ****ing Tony Iommi, guys. He lost two fingers in an accident and is one of the best rock and roll guitarists of all time. A cancer would not ****ing stop him! I really admire how he's been perseverant like that during all his career in Black Sabbath, this man really loves what he does. KEEP STRONG, IOMMI!
    The tips of two fingers, but yeah, he's awesome.
    guitarplaya070
    jurnag12 wrote: HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10. Seriously? There's an entire new, almost-classic line-up Black Sabbath album coming (After the last one, decades ago), and you're complaining that it has TOO MANY songs because that might make it seem alternative? These guys CREATED Metal. They could make a 27 track didgeridoo album for all it'd matter, and it'd still be awesome.
    That's pretty much the stance Metallica took on St. Anger and Lulu... "Hey, let's see if they'd buy it!"
    HARTATTACK69
    This man is an inspiration. Seriously, he is battling cancer and he isn't letting him stop what he loves and spent his whole life doing. I wish I had half of the will power and strength that Tony has
    Sammy Mantis
    i_am_metalhead wrote: Gibson0204 wrote: I have to say, this man is a true inspiration. This is the definition of how a true role model should be. Full respect for Tony, incredible. Yeah because someone who continually screws over his band mates, acts like an arrogant prick constantly, and makes a sob story about having the most treatable form of cancer is a real role model. There are people way worse off medically than him and do more than he's doing. I've lost all respect for the man.
    Wow, what a douche. And just as a side note, I've lost two family members to lymphoma.
    powachord
    Maestro1600 wrote: MrDo0m wrote: Maestro1600 wrote: powachord wrote: jurnag12 wrote: HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10. Seriously? There's an entire new, almost-classic line-up Black Sabbath album coming (After the last one, decades ago), and you're complaining that it has TOO MANY songs because that might make it seem alternative? These guys CREATED Metal. They could make a 27 track didgeridoo album for all it'd matter, and it'd still be awesome. Id buy it. And its "whittle", not "widdle". It's 'I'd', not 'Id' and 'it's', not 'its'. I'm sure you'll appreciate the advice and thank me for it, rather than see me as a patronising know-it-all. Afterall, you were happy to dish it out yourself. The commas and period belong before the end of the quotation mark, not after. lol, sorry dude I couldn't resist. Actually, I'm not even sure if I'm right. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this album. Tony Iommi is an inspiration to us all. You're not right, but that's cool, because I appreciate your honesty! If I was quoting a section that included punctuation, then I would've included it within the quotation marks. As I added the commas, though, they had to go outside.
    Patronising? Yes. As well as condescending. All i did was point out a simple spelling mistake, then you took it to a new level of douchery. Well done.
    dennis.1960
    Tony, seeing you play at the California Jam in '74 made me want to become a guitar player. Seeing you fight cancer and play through it makes me proud to be a guitar player.
    Lightning_Ray
    ^(continuing my previous comment since I wrongly clicked) At least I consider the albums I cited as masterpieces. I do get your point, and I also prefer quality over quantity, but it's Black Sabbath we're talking about here. While they never passed the "more than 10 tracks per album" mark, I'm sure Tony, Ozzy and Geezer will make a great album out of this, even if it ends up with 15 tracks or more.
    Lightning_Ray
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: You guys don't get it. It's better to have 10 excellent songs instead of 15 songs where only a handful are good and the rest are filler. Go back and look at the most respected metal / hard rock albums - they usually have 10 or less tracks. All Sabbath albums so far have never gone over 10 and that's because most metal bands focus on quality and substance over quantity. How many 14,15,16 track albums can you name where every song is a masterpiece?
    American III: Solitary Man by Johnny Cash, Electric Ladyland (Double Album) by The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Double Album) by Genesis, Dirt by Alice In Chains, The Wall by Pink Floyd (Double Album with over 13 tracks each disc)
    latem yvaeh
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: You guys don't get it. It's better to have 10 excellent songs instead of 15 songs where only a handful are good and the rest are filler. Go back and look at the most respected metal / hard rock albums - they usually have 10 or less tracks. All Sabbath albums so far have never gone over 10 and that's because most metal bands focus on quality and substance over quantity. How many 14,15,16 track albums can you name where every song is a masterpiece?
    How about Rubber Soul from the Beatles? Each of the 14 tracks off of that album are brilliant songs. Abbey Road as well, 16 tracks of awe-inspiring music, and Sabbath is the Metal equivalent of the Beatles.
    codyjt5150
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10.
    wtf does alternative and the number of tracks have to do with a black sabbath album? People like you need to learn to think before you sound like an idiot.
    SuicidalFreak
    Gibson0204 wrote: I have to say, this man is a true inspiration. This is the definition of how a true role model should be. Full respect for Tony, incredible.
    I agree.
    Mikethespud
    17 tracks is about twice as many as an average Sabbath album, I hope they're as good as the first few albums
    HeavyMetalSonic
    It's not that I want them to stop writing more, I'm just saying that only 10 should be on the album to keep with all the other Sabbath albums.
    L2112Lif
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10.
    Better to pick and choose from a larger pool of songs to get a more consistent album.
    Iron_Beast
    I bet they are writing/recording as many songs as possible and put the best songs on the album. The leftovers may be material for the next album!
    HeavyMetalSonic
    You guys don't get it. It's better to have 10 excellent songs instead of 15 songs where only a handful are good and the rest are filler. Go back and look at the most respected metal / hard rock albums - they usually have 10 or less tracks. All Sabbath albums so far have never gone over 10 and that's because most metal bands focus on quality and substance over quantity. How many 14,15,16 track albums can you name where every song is a masterpiece?
    Abacus11
    Tony Iommi is just awesome. People whine and complain about the smallest things and he's in the studio while going through chemotherapy. Tony, not only are you a brilliant guitar player and an innovator but you're seriously an inspiration. Thank You!
    Epi g-310
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10.
    Hold on... are you actually complaining about extra music here? You're shitting me.
    jurnag12
    HeavyMetalSonic wrote: 15-17 tracks is way too many. This is a metal album, not crappy alternative. I really hope they widdle it down to 10.
    Seriously? There's an entire new, almost-classic line-up Black Sabbath album coming (After the last one, decades ago), and you're complaining that it has TOO MANY songs because that might make it seem alternative? These guys CREATED Metal. They could make a 27 track didgeridoo album for all it'd matter, and it'd still be awesome.