Fall Out Boy Switch Styles On New CD

Patrick Stump says that the band's second major label album cuts a broader swath of styles and flavor than its predecessors.

Fall Out Boy Switch Styles On New CD
0
Fall Out Boy says its third album, "Infinity On High," will surprise its fans. Guitarist Patrick Stump tells Billboard.com that the Chicago band's second major label album, the follow-up to 2005's double-platinum "From Under the Cork Tree," cuts a broader swath of styles and flavor than its predecessors. "From song to song there's a completely different feel, but they all make sense in context," Stump explains. "They've got a few common points, but overall there's a lot of different voices and perspectives and styles. It would be dishonest for us to hold back any of these elements." Stump says he was particularly surprised by some "borderline classic rock" sounds the quartet came up with for the album, which is due Feb. 6 via Island. There's also greater use of piano, he says, as well as strings and horns, though he claims that "we were really restrained about it. At the end of the day the core of the songs is just four guys -- drums, bass and two guitars -- playing. They're just rock songs." "Infinity On High," which takes its title from a letter Vincent Van Gogh wrote to his brother, also features guest appearances by Jay-Z, who introduces one track, and guitar solos on another by Panic! At the Disco's Ryan Ross and New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert. Read more at Billboard.

125 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    axiom
    Kereth wrote: blah blah blah
    nobody said they didn't write great hooks and catchy music. they're awesome at that... hence, the money/publicity... thus, that's what they're going to do... until they tire of the media and spend the rest of their lives playing "sugar, we're going down" and "dance, dance" to young-to-middle-aged women reminiscing their "fantastic" teen life. If these facts weren't so obviously apparent, there wouldn't be so many people siding with it.
    Kereth
    axiom wrote: Look at me! I didn't read your whole post and yet I'm commenting on it. I am so for the win!
    Metallica were also great at writing great hook-lines. Enter Sandman anybody?
    axiom
    anodetono1 wrote: PETE WENTZ IS NOT GOOD. If there was a lack of him Fall Out Boy would be ALOT better. Pete Wentz writes all the lyrics genius. he is not that good of a bassist though.
    exactly. if they had no 'lyrics'"they'd be A LOT better"
    Kereth
    To all the neysayers: You may not like Fall Out Boy. That's your perogative, nothing's gonna' change that. But it's also just your own personal opinion and you have to recognise the fact that there are millions of FOB fans out there, hence their last album going 2X platinum. As soon as any of you release an album that appeals to so many fans, then you can call them ghey. But you'd still be being immature. So what if your "broad" taste in music doesn't include Fall Out Boy or any of those "gay" emo bands. It's not my problem, and not the problem of the millions of fans you're insulting. So what if most of their songs are written around catchy tunes? Is that such a bad thing? That is, afterall, the basis of writing a lot of songs. So a band's song gets stuck in your head. That makes them a bad band? No, it makes them really good at what they do and what FOB do is write catchy pop/rock songs. And to all of you going on about them changing styles... like what the ****? As a musician, you aim to develop your skills and playing styles into what you see fit. If they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't... their label wouldn't force them to. Why change a winning formula? So... in essence, what you're saying is this: Fall Out Boy write the same songs over and over again... all of them are catchy and thus are crap. BUT then FOB say they're trying to change things up a little, make their songs sound more unique with different voicings/w/e and they're bad for doing this too? They're sellouts for this, huh? Hmmm... I spot a flaw in logic there somewhere >.> My opinion: I'm a FOB fan and I WILL be getting this album and I look forward to hearing a great album and laughing at the immature retards who couldn't keep their crap opinions about "gayness" and stuff to themselves. Kthxbai
    marvelboy_04
    guest guitar solo from panic's guitarist? 1. did panics cd even have a solo? and 2. they cant even play their own solo?
    \m/(--_--)\m/
    And something I find kind of amusing is the fact that "Sugar We're Going Down" has barely discernable lyrics, yet people still loved the song so much. IMO, a good song recquires not only a catchy riff, but also meaningful lyrics that are understandable when listened to. I don't know if this attests to the obvious lack of musical knowledge displayed by their fan-base, but it still kind of irks me they are able to get so famous with such a basic understanding of their instruments.
    chieftanec
    any non-new bands putting out a new cd is changing there sound...what a dumb ploy to get people to buy albums.
    axiom
    Kereth wrote: Metallica were also great at writing great hook-lines. Enter Sandman anybody?
    no, I read it. It was too long to have in the grey quote area, and thus would bring too much attention. Offended? Not only were metallica great at it, so were 100s of other great musicians/bands. That's what makes music big money. what makes it stick in your head. what makes the general public know the riff by heart for years to follow. I didn't slam you at all buddy... there is no "win" that I was going for. I stated that said you were all for them being good and "soo totally not ghey" and I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing. Just stating they write hooks. It takes a lot more to make actual good music than hooks, and anyone, no matter what type of music they listen to, will agree upon that.
    Kereth
    Fall Out Boy rule! (continuation) It's not personal opinion when people are saying "anybody who likes this band has crap taste." that's a generalisation.
    axiom
    no, it honestly wasn't personal. now that I read it it seems like that. I see why you took it that way though. And they have some good songs I think, I was particularly impressed with TTTYG. Their way of blending the lyrics and hooks fitted greatly on that album. And it is all personal oppinion, welcome to earth, where all is relative. About how you were against how people were agianst them, yes you were clear. But you made it sound like there was no rationell for it.
    Kereth
    Not slamming me? The entirety of my post narrowed down to "blah blah blah" not a slam? If you say so. And in your opinion, they don't write good songs. I respect that. I wasn't slamming you in my original post, just everybody that was saying anybody who likes FOB has crap taste/knows nothing about music. Cuz you don't like a band doesn't have anything to do with if they're actually any good or not. Neither do platinum selling CDs. It's all personal opinion. But anyway, if it wasn't clear: my original post was aimed at all of the people who were saying FOB were gay and so was anybody who didn't like them/they have no talent and no music taste. I like FOB's musical writing style. It's cool. It's kinda' like party music, but their lyrics can also be analyzed and most have a story behind them that may or may not be hard to find.
    xzist
    lol their new song is so bad listen to their shit pre-fromunderthecorktree or whatever that shit is. that was good stuff imo
    foundation_7
    ShakiraShakira wrote: ahem fallout boy? hu gives a crap? they r shit, they sound xactly lyk panic at the disco, nd they try to be emo nd FAIL!! shoot them all!! You know what im sick of... people calling everything they hate emo. Fall Out Boy is by no means Emo and by no means are they trying to be Emo. So you, shut up, and learn to type.
    Dude your right, Everbody uses the word "emo" as a insult to music, and sometimes people.. but if you think about it music without emotion is cypress hill, and im sure not many of us want that.
    .smudged.
    Jay Z, and they call it rock? lol...they have to bring 2 guitarist because theirs cant make a crappy solo
    thriller[h4h]
    Metallica_uke wrote: very good point man. i agree with you there. its not that i hate their music so much, its the members of the band that piss me off. its the reason why so many guys hate backstreet boys and n-sync. the bands image is so pathetic, it gives so many people a reason to hate them. plus their music videos are down-right GAY
    ok, honestly, the reason i dont like to listen to bands like this is because of people listening to them all the f/ing time, but its still good music, i dont see you out there making anything like this, so until that day comes, you honestly have no right to speak on the matter, you probably dress preppy and hang out with your rich friends wearing your hollister and stuff, but theses guys have their own clothing line and reserve their own style, you are probably just a mirror image of your friends, listen to your metallica and tell people how much you hate them because they are gay when your a closet-fag, or to disgusting to have a girl want to even glance at you a second time except for a "wtf check"
    ChronZerg
    actually, i heard on of there songs, and it definately sounds different from there last album. Also, name another band that sounds like fal out boy
    Pan-Tallica
    Checked. I was a bit harsher this time around, a few more warnings dished out. Be nice, guys.
    pocallaghan2002
    I don't really hate Fall out Boy because of their mainstream success. I just personally don't find their music doing anything for me.
    that's cool, if the music genuinely doesnt do anything for you and you've given it a chance, then whatever, I just don't appreciate all these *****s dishing on Fall Out Boy when they haven't really given them a listen, and hating them just because they're popular. Oh, and if you're gonna diss, then be a little more creative with your insults for god's sake. Jesus I don't think ive heard the word gay used so many times since I was in about grade seven.
    gegeeag
    People who don't like Fall Out Boy (Or any band for that matter) just because they're popular or basic make me sick. Grow up, if you enjoy their not technically advanced, but catchy music, listen to it, if you don't, don't listen to it. Most of the haters are 13 year old pubeless dickheads who think they're hardcore cause they listen to Dragonforce, but secretely would much rather be listning to Fall Out Boy, but no one can find out!! They'd look less hardcore!!!
    punkrockpirate
    kaptink wrote: and guitar solos on another by Panic! At the Disco's Ryan Ross and New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert. Oh what fresh hell is this.
    Ha ha, dude this honestly made me laugh out loud. I...yeah, it sounds sorta like hell to me too. We'll see if maybe its interesting. Maybe it'll surprise those of us skeptical, yet willing to listen.
    Zeelod
    misirlou wrote: Hm. I first checked this article to see what's up, then i started reading the comments. and i've come to some conclusions. 1.for everyone who says"Fall Out boy is da Gayzz", then either, your immature,or everyone else likes them so your like,"No te is the sux" 2.Why post in here if you hate this band? Makes no sense, personally, I don't think anyone cares if you hate them, or say that you hate them, the only ones who would, would be the ones looking acceptance in the fact that someone else hates the band 3. And whom ever said they get bored listening to super skilled guitarists, Bravo to you. No one wants to listen to some 32nd note tapping shred solo all the time, because it gets boring, no gives a load if your the most skilled, but can't right a decent song. 4.Whom ever said his basslines are simple, well simply duh. Check, 95% of all songs, they have simple basslines, bass lines are pretty much supposed to be basic, after all the Bass is a Bass.( also refer to 3 for understanding) 5. I like lists 6. I'm a Bass player 7. I might have just destroyed my credibility by posting here. if i may comment on a few of these... 1. i'm not sure if you're talking about people who don't like fall out boy in general, or just the ones who can't express that opinion without sounding like they have down syndrome ("fall out boy is da gayz". if it's the latter, i agree. however, very many people have perfectly legitimate reasons for not liking them. for example, i think they are boring and repetitive and are just playing what sells now. 2. everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter what the moderators say. 3. i agree 4. agreed 5. don't care 6. don't care 7. don't worry, neither you nor me nor anyone here has any real credibility to speak of.
    I Respect you for giving your opinion and not flaming the crap out of me. Bravo to you
    misirlou
    Hm. I first checked this article to see what's up, then i started reading the comments. and i've come to some conclusions. 1.for everyone who says"Fall Out boy is da Gayzz", then either, your immature,or everyone else likes them so your like,"No te is the sux" 2.Why post in here if you hate this band? Makes no sense, personally, I don't think anyone cares if you hate them, or say that you hate them, the only ones who would, would be the ones looking acceptance in the fact that someone else hates the band 3. And whom ever said they get bored listening to super skilled guitarists, Bravo to you. No one wants to listen to some 32nd note tapping shred solo all the time, because it gets boring, no gives a load if your the most skilled, but can't right a decent song. 4.Whom ever said his basslines are simple, well simply duh. Check, 95% of all songs, they have simple basslines, bass lines are pretty much supposed to be basic, after all the Bass is a Bass.( also refer to 3 for understanding) 5. I like lists 6. I'm a Bass player 7. I might have just destroyed my credibility by posting here.
    if i may comment on a few of these... 1. i'm not sure if you're talking about people who don't like fall out boy in general, or just the ones who can't express that opinion without sounding like they have down syndrome ("fall out boy is da gayz"). if it's the latter, i agree. however, very many people have perfectly legitimate reasons for not liking them. for example, i think they are boring and repetitive and are just playing what sells now. 2. everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter what the moderators say. 3. i agree 4. agreed 5. don't care 6. don't care 7. don't worry, neither you nor me nor anyone here has any real credibility to speak of.
    loeuf
    The bassist is just sooo horrible he's should be ashamed to call himself a bassist. I saw them on a special show on musiqueplus and it purely sounded like crap. It's disgusting!
    Chimaira
    Wow, the people that post in these Fall Out Boy news articles are pretty sad. There's pretty much two groups, the people that really shouldn't be in this thread and flame Fall Out Boy with lame insults like "fall out boyz are teh ghey" and the other people who have to defend Fall Out Boy with over-generalizations saying things like "you don't like FOB because they're popular and catchy" or "you like teh metalz, but you really like them and are a 13 year old boy" Can't we just stop all these annoying, identical posts and actually discuss the topic and/or Fall Out Boy. If you look at the top you'll notice that around post #2, everything got off track. Just let the fighting die and let the people who want to talk about Fall Out Boy, do it with themselves. BTW, I hate Fall Out Boy.
    Zeelod
    Hm. I first checked this article to see what's up, then i started reading the comments. and i've come to some conclusions. 1.for everyone who says"Fall Out boy is da Gayzz", then either, your immature,or everyone else likes them so your like,"No te is the sux" 2.Why post in here if you hate this band? Makes no sense, personally, I don't think anyone cares if you hate them, or say that you hate them, the only ones who would, would be the ones looking acceptance in the fact that someone else hates the band 3. And whom ever said they get bored listening to super skilled guitarists, Bravo to you. No one wants to listen to some 32nd note tapping shred solo all the time, because it gets boring, no gives a load if your the most skilled, but can't right a decent song. 4.Whom ever said his basslines are simple, well simply duh. Check, 95% of all songs, they have simple basslines, bass lines are pretty much supposed to be basic, after all the Bass is a Bass.( also refer to 3 for understanding) 5. I like lists 6. I'm a Bass player 7. I might have just destroyed my credibility by posting here.
    /-Vince-\
    GymClassHero wrote: I just still can't get over the fact that pete was in a hardcore band with tim from rise against before this. check it out www.myspace.com/armangelus Its a fan myspace, but listen to the vocals... that's pete, but now he does this.
    ooooh shit, that was a lot better than FoB, dont understand why He left that band for Fall Out Boy
    axiom
    how is someone saying "anybody who likes this band has crap taste." not their opinion?
    hyovans
    i love how all these people critisize other bands. sooo interesting. falloutboy makes simple music and there's nothing wrong with that except they over-dramatise it. as is the case with most emo-wanabe bands (mcr, panic, FOB)
    metal@hart11
    mrlee192 : rockergirl91 wrote: f*** all you people who hate fall out boy! no f*** all you people that like them and are keeping this lame trend alive.
    LOL agreed. EMO is one of the biggest fads ive ever seen. its for confused, distraught, short minded high school students who feel their lives are meaningless, and think dying their hair and wearing makeup ect ect sets them apart, and makes them unique. i got news for you. everyones just laughing at you and your not making any kind of bold statement. and what do your parents think?? hahaha they probably feel they've failed someways as a parent because their sons are out of control and keep stealing moms eyeliner
    Jondy
    Unborn wrote: Theres a lot of hatred for FOB here... but every single one of you would swap lives with them since they are multi-millionaires and probably doing some hot canadian women or hot hollywood women... Women like money and power and bands... Im sure they're getting something real good... Im not a fan of FOB, and never will be, but honestly I think some of this hatred is jealousy. Sure you may hate his voice and the 4 chord music but in all reality, they are rich and famous and you arent. So isntead of being a baby and saying how they are gay... Why not just not listen to them? Or not talk about them? Thats what most people do when they dont like something... they just dont look at it or dont do it. But they dont talk about how much they dont like something on some forum to feel whatever it is you desire. I bet some of you are 13,14,15.. into metal or whatever, in highschool, trying to prove how tough you are, or how cool you are because you like Kalmah, oh my god listen to that double bass drum! Whoa check out that guitar solo! Its all great but... Once you hit your mid 20's you'll realize working and going to school sucks, and you'd wish you were in a huge band. Since your on ultimate guitar I'm going to assume you play guitar. Keep on rockin', flame me, I dont care, I know im right in some instances, I shouldn't be reading this ever again anyways.
    I wouldn't switch places with them. There's more to life than money and fame. Also there is nothing wrong with having a debate, there's nothing wrong with saying you don't like something. I don't believe in walking on egg shells. It's ok to like fall out boy but if you can't even listen to valid criticism without getting pissed... this is what forums are for man, debates. you can't just make a rule that "noone is allowed to say anything negative about any band ever." that's censorship. I will listen to the cd just to see how these solos are. But the last album made my ears bleed for reasons already stated a hundred times here.
    Kereth
    FOB was on the scene *before* Panic! at the Disco with their "Take This To Your Grave" album which was much better than FUTCT, but FUTCT is still a good album. Guest appearances, while a little dysfunctional, do come with higher fame. If a rap personality wants to step into the rock music scene for a while, fine by me. MCR's latest album (and they didn't sell out cuz they "changed") has a guest vocallist in the form of Liza Minnelli. Nobody got on them about that. It might be that FOB likes Jay-Z and wanted him to intro one of their tracks. It might be the other way around. Or it might be the record label. Whichever, idc. And btw, misirlou, what I said might have offended people. But that's their own problem. All I said was that people have their own opinions, and people who try to force them on others and if they don't get them to agree just flame them are in the wrong. If you like FOB, that's fine, if you dislike them, equally fine. Just don't stick it to the opposing side in pointless rants about how they have no musical sense.
    J Dub
    Is it really a surprise that a band with "little musical talent" made it big? Since when has talent been a requirement for fame? Anyways... While they may not have the most intricate guitar solos or technical ability, I still give them credit for writing some catchy songs. And that takes talent too.
    Kaininmich
    Keezy86 dude.... hes not the greatest rapper.. if you want real rap listen to some old icecube or nwa.. and of course one of the greatest.. Dmx
    electrikeyes
    the fact that they have jay-z on this guarantees me not buying it. it just shows you what MTV does to originally great bands. take this to your grave was their best album, period.
    adambauman31
    If you guys hate Fall Out Boy that much why do you read their news? Don't you have anything better to do than to read articles about bands you don't even like? You're pathetic, not Fall Out Boy.
    cause...imtom
    i like their music, alternativly i hate everyone that hates FOB because they are popular, just because they sell out in every city is no good reason to hate them yould think it means there, idk, good,(another case is Green Day). Dont be such a rebel its really not kool. now if you dont like them because the music is too easy, thats kool, it is easy, but i just listen to the music, it sounds good, lyrics are good, therefore i like them, easy or not. i like under the cork tree. pretty much every song, none are by any means incredible, but also none are really too bad and i can not wait till the next cd comes out, im gonna get it ASAP
    fox69
    Mr.Breeze : kryptonite22 m : i dont see how you can praise the bassist. every bassline ive heard has followed the guitar. i'm a bass player, and if every bass line u've every heard has followed the guitar then u r one hearing imparied fool...y dont u listen to good music for a change and LISTEN to the bass! POSTED: 12/11/2006 - 04:10 pm / quote |
    umm i believe he was talkin about FOB's bass, not bass in general. i liked sugar we're goin down an dance,dance, but than i bought the album, an i found that they only had 2 good songs, the ones with the shortest titles, theyd reeeeely hafta do sumthin to make me buy them again, an jay-z? his street cred defly lost 2 points
    misirlou
    Unborn : Theres a lot of hatred for FOB here... but every single one of you would swap lives with them since they are multi-millionaires and probably doing some hot canadian women or hot hollywood women... Women like money and power and bands... Im sure they're getting something real good... Im not a fan of FOB, and never will be, but honestly I think some of this hatred is jealousy. Sure you may hate his voice and the 4 chord music but in all reality, they are rich and famous and you arent. So isntead of being a baby and saying how they are gay... Why not just not listen to them? Or not talk about them? Thats what most people do when they dont like something... they just dont look at it or dont do it. But they dont talk about how much they dont like something on some forum to feel whatever it is you desire. I bet some of you are 13,14,15.. into metal or whatever, in highschool, trying to prove how tough you are, or how cool you are because you like Kalmah, oh my god listen to that double bass drum! Whoa check out that guitar solo! Its all great but... Once you hit your mid 20's you'll realize working and going to school sucks, and you'd wish you were in a huge band. Since your on ultimate guitar I'm going to assume you play guitar. Keep on rockin', flame me, I dont care, I know im right in some instances, I shouldn't be reading this ever again anyways.
    dude, i will be the first to admit that i am totally jealous of fall out boy. but can you blame me for being jealous of a band that gets big for making such terrible music? it makes perfect sense to me. oh yeah, and too the guy that quoted an entire "blender" article, why don't you get your own opinion?
    ShaDoW0lf
    I'm gonna stay out of this emo/pop vs other argument (allthough I DO side with other,) and tackle the ideas I don't like behind the album itself: 1.) JAY Z.. Ok let me put this simply. Jay Z's track will possibly be INTENSELY popular for a while, just like LP and JAY Z's collaboration, but slowly but surely you will see ex-fans coming out and admitting it sucks, just like...that...album. What, you going to deny that it's not happening? Hahahahahaha. Jay Z should stay retired in my opinion. 2.) Panic at the Disco and NFG solo's.. Look, we'd like to hear what FALL OUT BOY can do on their album, not Panic or NFG. If they had confidence in their own guitarists, they'd make their own solos, not bring in other guitarists to do the work.. or maybe they just want to ride the fame wave that comes from Panic and NFG's names? Oh, and MindjackPlug.. this comment: holy jesus. all of you just... smash your heads against something. you might learn a thing or two. So that's how you learn? No wonder you're so stupid.
    keezy86
    Avenged Sevenfold, really?? Talk about changing styles to please the masses, I know his throat hurts but give me a break
    xion665
    Wtf is wrong with you people. Dont you have anything better to do besides fight. Although i do respect the very few of you that can form a normal opinionated post without flaming. "Fighting and acting hardcore over the internet is like racing in the special olympics...even if you win your still retarded."