HIM: New Album Details

Kerrang! have obtained the full tracklisting for HIM's upcoming new album 'Venus Doom'.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

Kerrang! have obtained the full tracklisting for HIM's upcoming new album 'Venus Doom'. The full tracklisting for 'Venus Doom', which is released in the UK on September 17 through Warner Bros, is as follows:

01. Venus Doom 02. Love In Cold Blood 03. Passion's Killing Floor 04. The Kiss Of Dawn 05. Sleepwalking Past Hope 06. Dead Lover's Lane 07. Song Or Suicide 08. Bleed Well 09. Cyanide Sun

According to frontman Ville Valo, it will be their heaviest album yet. Venus Doom will still be comprised of Valo's allegorical lyrics, comparable to HIM's older albums. He has also noted that the music on Venus Doom will be comparable to Metallica and My Bloody Valentine. The longest song on the album is 10 minutes long, while the shortest song is 4 and a half minutes. The album was produced by Tim Palmer (Ozzy Osbourne, Dredg) and Hiili Hiilesmaa (The 69 Eyes, Apocalyptica).

The album's cover artwork [picture] was painted by artist David Harouni. Ville Valo purchased one of Harouni's paintings at New Orleans' Harouni Gallery and later asked Harouni if it could be used as the cover for "Venus Doom." "Venus Doom" will be a 2-Disc release with one CD of music and a DVD of bandwork.

The band played the track "Dead Lovers' Lane" live at the Give It A Name Festival in Birmingham, England, April 28, 2007 and in Glasgow, Scotland, April 29. The band also played the tracks "The Kiss Of Dawn" and "Passion's Killing Floor" at the July 7, 2007 concert at Brussels, Belgium.

Also the band filmed the music video for the first single off the album, "The Kiss Of Dawn" starting June 21 in the Los Angeles area. Meiert Avis, who directed HIM's previous video Wings of a Butterfly, was the director. The production team put out a casting call for a "beautiful girl (model type) to perform in the lead role of the video". Auditions were held on June 19. Ville Valo has stated that the song "Kiss of Dawn" was for a "close friend who committed suicide soon after the band wrapped the recording sessions for Dark Light". Sheet music for the song "The Kiss of Dawn" was posted on their official website prior to the release of the album, giving fans from the US the chance to submit a video of themselves playing the song from their own perspective.

The 3 winning videos will be featured on HIM's upcoming live DVD and the winners will receive a signed copy of said DVD. The song "Passion's Killing Floor" is on the Transformers soundtrack, which was released on July 3, 2007.

A secret key at Heartagram.com, "February 12, 1961", can be entered and 40 seconds of "Love in Cold Blood" can be heard. This could be a reference to the date on which the Soviet Union launched Venera 1 towards Venus.

Thanks for the info to Kerrang.com.

57 comments sorted by best / new / date

    mrbiscuits315
    I heard these guys used to be pretty heavy then declined to emoness. Can anyone back this up?
    DarthKarth
    MikESPviper wrote: I think that HIM truley did create their own style of "love metal" thats what they are.
    can you say oxymoron? metal isn't about love, and it sure as hell isn't about being every little girl's dreamboat. so as far as i'm concerned: HIM is just an excuse for guys to listen to sappy ballads while calling it "love metal".
    zackk
    ah, ville has his bad moments on stage but i like the band. it wasnt their wisest decision to open for metallica, although im not a big metallica fan, because of the huge difference in genre. of coarse metallica fans are going to hate them, they are damn close to opposite.
    MikESPviper
    DarthKarth wrote: MikESPviper wrote: I think that HIM truley did create their own style of "love metal" thats what they are. can you say oxymoron? metal isn't about love, and it sure as hell isn't about being every little girl's dreamboat. so as far as i'm concerned: HIM is just an excuse for guys to listen to sappy ballads while calling it "love metal".
    well you cant really say what metal is or isnt about because plenty of metal bands have made love songs.
    MiniMusicMasta
    i was at wembley when they played a new song before metallica. sounded shite, especially right before metallica. it didnt sound a bit like tallica. vallo is a gay. he doesnt have a clue. i think guys like him show up they're country.
    Slayer_Guy
    MikESPviper wrote: DarthKarth wrote: MikESPviper wrote: I think that HIM truley did create their own style of "love metal" thats what they are. can you say oxymoron? metal isn't about love, and it sure as hell isn't about being every little girl's dreamboat. so as far as i'm concerned: HIM is just an excuse for guys to listen to sappy ballads while calling it "love metal". well you cant really say what metal is or isnt about because plenty of metal bands have made love songs.
    Metal has been fed by anger and hate for many years and should stay that way. 'Love metal' is a bad idea.
    22acacia
    Slayer_Guy wrote: Metal has been fed by anger and hate for many years and should stay that way. 'Love metal' is a bad idea.
    Figures a slayer fan posting some shit like this. Passion, chemically, is the closest human emotion to anger. Ever heard the term "make-up" sex? probly only with fat ugly goth chicks if your a slayer fan... hah. But i will agree with you in the fact that mindless droning about failed relationship attempts has no place in any form of music let alone metal.
    MikESPviper
    22acacia wrote: Slayer_Guy wrote: Metal has been fed by anger and hate for many years and should stay that way. 'Love metal' is a bad idea. Figures a slayer fan posting some shit like this. Passion, chemically, is the closest human emotion to anger. Ever heard the term "make-up" sex? probly only with fat ugly goth chicks if your a slayer fan... hah. But i will agree with you in the fact that mindless droning about failed relationship attempts has no place in any form of music let alone metal.
    thats my point Slayer_Guy and well... Slayer is touring with Manson, and mason is pretty emotional, outside of his "hit songs" so if you like it or not, the whole "slayer" era has sort of drown its self. Many hatedethmetal bands dont make it, because they all sound like the same shit, love metal is basicly 1 band, HIM. So i think you bare it?
    BFMV fan
    this band sounds a bit good but the singer needs to stop looking like a girl, but anyways their new songs sound okay, check em out in youtube
    NightEmbers
    yeah i wont lie I have all their cd's but their not my favorite band, even though Ville's lyrics are good he definatly needs to change it up you know. As for this album, personally i dont really like the artwork, and the fact thats its only 9 tracks kinda angers me, hell my band has 14 and would have more if thier was anymore room on a CD =P why only have a 40 min record. i dont know
    22acacia
    MikESPviper :thats my point Slayer_Guy and well... Slayer is touring with Manson, and mason is pretty emotional, outside of his "hit songs" so if you like it or not, the whole "slayer" era has sort of drown its self. Many hatedethmetal bands dont make it, because they all sound like the same shit, love metal is basicly 1 band, HIM. So i think you bare it?
    Mike I feel ya to an extent man. Its not so much the band or the fans its the dipshit mentality they carry that is uncreative unnaccepting and generally all around ignorant because i have met slayer and they are really intellegent guys that listen to all sorts of shit. the general slayer fan is so close minded you would think they grew up in a god damn steel cage with people poking sticks at them. there are some really cool slayter fans too but the majority are just a bunch of **** tards with close minded ignorance. and by "slayer fans" i mean hardcore nu metal death heads etc not just the band itself because the band is ****ing great.
    MikESPviper
    haha if you go to their website they are selling a Special Edition, and a Limited, and a normal, i think im getting all 3, because i collect all the him shit i can get my hands on
    Slayer_Guy
    22acacia wrote: Slayer_Guy wrote: Metal has been fed by anger and hate for many years and should stay that way. 'Love metal' is a bad idea. Figures a slayer fan posting some shit like this. Passion, chemically, is the closest human emotion to anger. Ever heard the term "make-up" sex? probly only with fat ugly goth chicks if your a slayer fan... hah. But i will agree with you in the fact that mindless droning about failed relationship attempts has no place in any form of music let alone metal.
    Where the **** did any of that come from? You have a go at me for liking slayer instead of proving my point wrong? Poor show, pretty pathetic really.
    Slayer_Guy
    MikESPviper wrote: 22acacia wrote: Slayer_Guy wrote: Metal has been fed by anger and hate for many years and should stay that way. 'Love metal' is a bad idea. Figures a slayer fan posting some shit like this. Passion, chemically, is the closest human emotion to anger. Ever heard the term "make-up" sex? probly only with fat ugly goth chicks if your a slayer fan... hah. But i will agree with you in the fact that mindless droning about failed relationship attempts has no place in any form of music let alone metal. thats my point Slayer_Guy and well... Slayer is touring with Manson, and mason is pretty emotional, outside of his "hit songs" so if you like it or not, the whole "slayer" era has sort of drown its self. Many hatedethmetal bands dont make it, because they all sound like the same shit, love metal is basicly 1 band, HIM. So i think you bare it?
    Maybe it is time for it to change. I was just saying I prefered the way it was/is at the moment.
    Slayer_Guy
    22acacia wrote: Mike I feel ya to an extent man. Its not so much the band or the fans its the dipshit mentality they carry that is uncreative unnaccepting and generally all around ignorant because i have met slayer and they are really intellegent guys that listen to all sorts of shit. the general slayer fan is so close minded you would think they grew up in a god damn steel cage with people poking sticks at them. there are some really cool slayter fans too but the majority are just a bunch of **** tards with close minded ignorance. and by "slayer fans" i mean hardcore nu metal death heads etc not just the band itself because the band is ****ing great.
    Judging by that comment I am much more open-minded and less ignorant than you are..
    MikESPviper
    well i know was 22acacia is saying because there are a few of those kids at my school who wear slayer shit every day, and they have the hugest egos about themselves. yet i think they need special needs classes
    MikESPviper
    Ok here is my general view of Slayer. One of the first real death metal bands who created their own sound, unfortunately its been mimicked too many times. The guys from Slayer are good musicians but still have yet to really change their style over the years. Their solos are more annoying than impressive, high pitch bends with too much whammy bar. Vocals aren't bad most of the time, but most Slayer music anybody listens is their old stuff. Mainly, their a saggy dog band that needs to move with time, their new album sounded like garbage.
    Slayer_Guy
    MikESPviper wrote: Ok here is my general view of Slayer. One of the first real death metal bands who created their own sound, unfortunately its been mimicked too many times. The guys from Slayer are good musicians but still have yet to really change their style over the years. Their solos are more annoying than impressive, high pitch bends with too much whammy bar. Vocals aren't bad most of the time, but most Slayer music anybody listens is their old stuff. Mainly, their a saggy dog band that needs to move with time, their new album sounded like garbage.
    I'm not really a big fan of theirs anymore anymore anyway, this account is 2 years old :p: their new album was crap. I was just annoyed about 22acacia's rediculous generalisations. On-Topic, I might give a song or two from him's new album a listen. However much I doubt I'll like it
    darklove
    HIM is a good band, stupid ****ers, Metallica is over rated, that master of puppets shit is getting old, if you dont like HIM then dont listen to it, simple as that.
    mchugh92
    i heard their new song kiss of dawn and i like it, its got some cool riffs and a good solo and ville is a good but not great singer, theres people who make him out to be the next frediie mercury or some s**t, but the new record sounds promising, and to those people talkin about slayer, slayer WERE good until the the new millenium came and they were still stuck with the same 80's/90's sound of old, and i have to admit that the fans of slayer and death metal who think theyre hardcore need to shove it, as far as slayer themsleves are concerned kerry king is the only one i have a problem with the rest of them see ok, but back on-topic i hope HIM are as heavy as they make themselves out to be on this record
    punkieman
    "mrbiscuits315" just look for a HIM song named Borellus and you will like it cause it's old(1995)and pretty heavy.Anyone curious about how the new album sounds like,the "venus doom" song is a good sample(youtube).
    daray
    LMAO!! comparable to metallica!! this band?? no way! HIM is cool...but not in that way...*thinks about the bloody horseman tears or shit like*
    MetalOxymoron
    Im looking forward to the new Cd. I heard part of the first single from the album and its great.
    The Novice
    I don't like these guys, but they got thrashed everywhere when supporting Metallica and got shit thrown on 'em. At first, I didn't care but a few days ago I heard the same thing had happened to HIMs opening act once and Ville had come out and told the audience to behave. So, I still got some respect for 'em..
    Renfordoggz
    The Novice wrote: I don't like these guys, but they got thrashed everywhere when supporting Metallica and got shit thrown on 'em. At first, I didn't care but a few days ago I heard the same thing had happened to HIMs opening act once and Ville had come out and told the audience to behave. So, I still got some respect for 'em..
    agree with this guy the singer was crap at tht gig but the rest of the band were gd.....I loved the way the keyboardist reacted when he got hit by a glass of beer he just smiled!!
    LewisMasonx
    From what I've heard from this album (Passion's Killing Floor, Kiss Of Dawn, Love In Cold Blood...) this is one of their more heavier albums, and definitely one of their more experimental ones! Maybe this will even top my favourite (Deep Shadows...) when I hear it! Looking forward to it!
    Trabo
    eh, HIM just isnt a good band.. there just like a corny little hoe who does whatever you tell them to - except they dont have a vagina
    Sound_Garden_X
    I lost interest in HIM over the years and I never really got their whole love metal theme. But maybe this will be different?
    soulphonate
    They don't really seem to progress with their success. Their music seemed to decline as their fame started to rise. This new album might be different, but I doubt it will hold any suprises.
    AeroZeppelin09
    soulphonate wrote: They don't really seem to progress with their success. Their music seemed to decline as their fame started to rise. This new album might be different, but I doubt it will hold any suprises.
    Yeah, I think they started to go downward after Love Metal IMHO. But nonetheless, Ima buy it. So yayyy
    stumaster18
    yesssss when I first saw that they only had 9 songs, I was kinda let down. but the shortest track time is 4.5 minutes :| that's awesome. I'll be sure to pick this up.
    xXSolitaryManXx
    I'm betting that this will be a much better album than Dark Light. Dark Light was ok, it had a couple of good tracks, but overall I was letdown. From what I've listened to so far, HIM's going back to their original heavier sound.
    Avarik
    They're good, and I actually prefer the Dark Light sound over some of their other work. But uh, 9 tracks for a new album...?
    TDAJGuitarist
    They have there moments but idk....They can be REALLY cheesy and pretty week. If they grew some balls they would actually be good but the whole love metal thing is beyond homo
    Becca138
    hmmm cool, im lookin forward to this. HIM rule. but honestly, why'd they tour with Metallica? man thats stupid and people wonder why they got booed offstage. stupid cover band choice. still a good band in genral, just shuda never toured with 'tallica.
    Becca138
    Becca138 wrote: hmmm cool, im lookin forward to this. HIM rule. but honestly, why'd they tour with Metallica? man thats stupid and people wonder why they got booed offstage. stupid cover band choice. still a good band in genral, just shuda never toured with 'tallica.
    eh support not cover, god i cant type