Kurt Cobain's Documentary Soundtrack

The soundtrack for a documentary about the late Kurt Cobain, set for a Sept. 11 release through Barsuk.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

The soundtrack for a documentary about the late Kurt Cobain, set for a Sept. 11 release through Barsuk, will feature songs from some of the former Nirvana frontman's favourite artists and his musical contemporaries.

About A Son is based on more than 25 hours of interviews conducted by journalist Michael Azerrad, the author of 1993's Come As You Are: The Story Of Nirvana. The interviews are combined with footage of Washington cities Seattle, Aberdeen and Olympia, where Cobain spent most of his life, shot by director AJ Schnack.

The soundtrack features excerpts from those interviews, along with songs by the likes of Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Mudhoney and Mark Lanegan. The film's score was written by Death Cab For Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard and Nirvana producer Steve Fisk.

About A Son made its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival last September. The film will open in New York City on Oct. 3, in Los Angeles on Oct. 5 and in Seattle on Oct. 12. Additional cities and opening dates are expected to be announced soon. A DVD release will follow.

Here are the tracks on About A Son:

01. Steve Fisk and Ben Gibbard "Overture" 02. "Never Intended" (interview excerpt) 03. Arlo Guthrie "Motorcycle Song" 04. The Melvins "Eye Flys" 05. "Punk Rock" (interview excerpt) 06. Bad Brains "Banned In D.C." 07. Creedence Clearwater Revival "Up Around The Bend" 08. Half Japanese "Put Some Sugar On It' 09. The Vaselines "Son Of A Gun" 10. Butthole Surfers "Graveyard" 11. "Hardcore Was Dead" (interview excerpt) 12. Scratch Acid "Owner's Lament" 13. Mudhoney "Touch Me I'm Sick" 14. "Car Radio" (interview excerpt) 15. Iggy Pop "The Passenger" 16. Leadbelly "The Bourgeois Blues" 17. R.E.M. "New Orleans Instrumental No. 1" 18. "The Limelight" (interview excerpt) 19. David Bowie "The Man Who Sold The World" 20. Mark Lanegan "Museum" 21. Ben Gibbard "Indian Summer"

Thanks for the info to Chartattack.com.

Trending stories

93 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    66something
    U-Mass wrote: daniel coogan wrote: Darkshade666 : Just let the man rest in peace dammit. i agree RIP Kurt Cobain They speak the troof. How could anyyone honestly tell themselves that Kurt wanted so much money changing hands over him, when the man hated publicity while he was ALIVE.
    im sure he didnt wnat it while he was ALIVE..but hes dead now...im sure he doesnt give a ****...only reason i disagree with it is that no doubt his murdress(wife) is making the money...
    TheGuitarDreams
    Hate to say it, but despite Kurt not wanting all this attention, he really has become that big of an influence, and not to mention was one, if not the definition of the 90s.
    mental_zer0
    Sixpack5001 i agree, this isn't some fly-by-night thing like last days, this is actually providing some insight and even though i probably wont see it, i still find it interesting
    It will definitely be quality work. Michael Azerrad spent from the Nevermind tours to his death with Cobain and I've read his books. He does great work.
    psychodelia
    As much as I knew it wouldn't be there... I still would've liked to see King Crimson. Checked
    aleckillscobra
    To all the people saying "let him rest in peace," I partially agree with you. But here's the thing. There's still a strong debate over his death. And documentaries like this bring more attention to the case. I don't think kurt would've wanted all the publicity, but as long as there's no official and final ruling on his death, I don't think he can rest in peace.
    U-Mass
    daniel coogan wrote: Darkshade666 : Just let the man rest in peace dammit. i agree RIP Kurt Cobain
    They speak the troof. How could anyyone honestly tell themselves that Kurt wanted so much money changing hands over him, when the man hated publicity while he was ALIVE.
    Uber-rocker
    kiefermatot wrote: Oh, just let him be, please. Kurt would never have wanted any of this. What a world we live in today..
    Exactly.
    66something
    frizzle fry wrote: another fine DEAD musician getting milked and raped by the industry. It makes me sad?
    if the living can benefit from the dead...good...enough sobbing over curt...start bitching about the people who are making money off of the people getting who will be killed tomorrow in iraq,africa, or your own backyard...
    raymanbaracuda
    E_squared wrote: How can you know what kurt Cobain would want or not want? People should stop pretending that they understand this guy. I don't think anyone really fully understood Kurt, not even his bandmates. He was a freakin' crazy genius. That's why he made such amazing music. Personally, I would never miss this as an opportunity to learn more about my idol.
    Because he was a junkie. That's why nobody could understand him.
    Sixpack5001
    john_lennon wrote: Part of me aggrees that people are just making money of a dead man and he should be left to rest in piece. But when i think about it, i think knowing more about the genius and how he worked would help myself as a creator of music, and therefore a documentary about him must benefit thousands of others musn't it?
    i agree, this isn't some fly-by-night thing like last days, this is actually providing some insight and even though i probably wont see it, i still find it interesting
    break-me-in
    Got cut off: The soundtrack looks cool, although the lack of Pixies, Sonic Youth, Led Zeppelin and most of Black Flag is a bit surprising.
    break-me-in
    If all of you actually knew a thing or two about this before commenting, you wouldn't be saying "stop milking his legacy rip cobain! rock on!". This documentary is composed partially of interview excerpts from an extensive catalogue of interviews conducted with Cobain before his death, as well as being given access to his diaries and notebooks so it will be all of his thoughts, feelings, and ideas in the film. It will be one of the few documentaries about Nirvana which was worthwhile.
    CORT noob
    Article wrote: and Olympia, where Cobain spent most of his life, shot by director AJ Schnack.
    They found the killer!??!?!?!
    Child Of Maiden
    Wow nice to see they're still making money off this guy well after his death. /sarcasm I agree, let this shit go already. It's been 13 years. I have nothing against Kurt but HE WASN'T THAT GREAT!
    grunger
    this is the stupidest thing ever. LEAVE NIRVANA AND KURT COBAIN ALONE
    blackflag49
    aleckillscobra wrote: To all the people saying "let him rest in peace," I partially agree with you. But here's the thing. There's still a strong debate over his death. And documentaries like this bring more attention to the case. I don't think kurt would've wanted all the publicity, but as long as there's no official and final ruling on his death, I don't think he can rest in peace.
    +1 This documentary looks like quality stuff, not just some money grab. And the soundtrack kicks ass
    Dead_End
    wow, they didnt get somma the bands i really expected since its sposed to be some of what kurt liked, but do we even need another kurt film -_-
    zian615
    Guitar-Boy-666 wrote: Kurt probably was a good singer it's just that he was in the grunge and screamo stuff so yeah,
    Screamo? Are you kidding? Anyways, I respect anything Ben Gibbard gets involved with, so I look forward to it.
    hendrixbo
    cobain was the shit and still is most of the time but he is dead and has left his land mark on music and plain art and nobody should **** with it so NO MORE MOVIES! but books r ok
    black_coffin
    i think this is shit if its about kurt cobain they should have nirvana and foo fighters music on here 1. nirvana because that was his band 2. foo fighters because dave grohl plays in there and is carrying the nirvana spirit with him
    Bendrix
    screamo.... dimebag.... ****in hell, go invade some other news story dickheads.
    CORT noob
    ZeRaTuL HeLiOs wrote: Guitar-Boy-666 wrote: Kurt probably was a good singer it's just that he was in the grunge and screamo stuff so yeah, I agree that he was no Dimebag Darrell but yeah. It's all a part of grunge. I don't know who to believe whether he was murdered or killed himself but I'm more on the "He killed himself" because yeah. He was an idiot but he'll be missed. R.i.P Kurt. Dimebag Darrell as well since I've mentioned him. Dont use the "grunge" sound as a crutch. Look at Jerry Cantrell. He came out of the grunge movement and was a badass guitarist then when he went solo he proved himself as a worthy frontman.
    Hey Cantrell and Cobain are both awesome, just Cantrell is awesomer. I'd love to see a documentary on Layne Staley though, because I know nothing about him other than he writes good music with Cantrell.
    blackflag49
    Guitar-Boy-666 wrote: Kurt probably was a good singer it's just that he was in the grunge and screamo stuff so yeah, I agree that he was no Dimebag Darrell but yeah. It's all a part of grunge. I don't know who to believe whether he was murdered or killed himself but I'm more on the "He killed himself" because yeah. He was an idiot but he'll be missed. R.i.P Kurt. Dimebag Darrell as well since I've mentioned him.
    You Dimebag fanboys piss me off. This article has NOTHING to do with him...and he wasn't that good anyway, his tone was off And grunge had a lot of great musicians, just as much as metal or any other genre, so quit being so condescending. I didn't even realize Ben Gibbard was the guy from DCFC, and he's doing a Beat Happening cover? My respect for them just went up...
    Metal.4.Life
    [ i hate screamo all about metal man!] but yea kurt cobain was an influence everywhere, i think its ok to still be talkin about him as long as its in remeberance of him, but if theyre gonna be talkin sh**, wel yea! leave him alone already ,fu** .
    jonnyrotten45
    Child Of Maiden wrote: Wow nice to see they're still making money off this guy well after his death. /sarcasm I agree, let this shit go already. It's been 13 years. I have nothing against Kurt but HE WASN'T THAT GREAT!
    ya i agree, nirvana ended so early that they didn't even have time to suck, and besides would people even care if he wasn't dead
    ZeRaTuL HeLiOs
    Guitar-Boy-666 wrote: Kurt probably was a good singer it's just that he was in the grunge and screamo stuff so yeah, I agree that he was no Dimebag Darrell but yeah. It's all a part of grunge. I don't know who to believe whether he was murdered or killed himself but I'm more on the "He killed himself" because yeah. He was an idiot but he'll be missed. R.i.P Kurt. Dimebag Darrell as well since I've mentioned him.
    Dont use the "grunge" sound as a crutch. Look at Jerry Cantrell. He came out of the grunge movement and was a badass guitarist then when he went solo he proved himself as a worthy frontman.
    oZone_TNS
    I think there is a clip on Youtube if anyone wants to see. (Well it used to be there, I'm not sure if it's been deleted)
    TooFast
    CORT noob wrote: Article wrote: and Olympia, where Cobain spent most of his life, shot by director AJ Schnack. They found the killer!??!?!?!
    Wow. Terrible joke.
    Guitar-Boy-666
    Roybordom wrote: does anyone else here find humor in the fact that its being released on 9/11?
    Well I wouldn't say it's FUNNY in the sense that it's coming out on 9/11 but it's kind of weird that it is being released then...
    Guitar-Boy-666
    Kurt probably was a good singer it's just that he was in the grunge and screamo stuff so yeah, I agree that he was no Dimebag Darrell but yeah. It's all a part of grunge. I don't know who to believe whether he was murdered or killed himself but I'm more on the "He killed himself" because yeah. He was an idiot but he'll be missed. R.i.P Kurt. Dimebag Darrell as well since I've mentioned him.
    xvictimofadownx
    FUCK BIG BUSINESS, CORPORATIONS DESERVE TO BURN IN THE SEVENTH CIRCLE OF HELL!!!!! KURT COBAIN DOESNT DESERVE TO BE USED FOR MONEY!!!!!
    rodgab3
    haha, yeah i agree with shredder guitar. Kurt was awesome btw, and cant wait to see this.
    rivieraXid
    I have to say this. He is a legend but he was actually crap at singing at not that great at guitar. But he was good at being crap
    Shredder Guitar
    D.R. Cornwallis wrote: Listen you freaking music robots!!! Personally I hate Kurt!!! He did nothing more for music than the Bee Gees! I hate him because everybody else likes him! I however choose not to be a freaking robot such as you all!!! I say listen to what you like, not what everyone else likes or what everyone else wants you to like!!! The worst thing you can pose as a trend is music!!! Make IT your own and make your own!!!
    jeez, settle down. you must be having your monthly or something. kurt lived in a time not run by emo/pop punk bands, so its hardly right to say that "everyone" liked him. learn your facts before you act like a total jackass.
    OffspringPhreak
    washingmachine wrote: Wheres Sonic Youth. Sonic Youth were his hereos
    +1; the Meat Puppets too, it's weird that they're not even mentioned. Nevertheless it looks like this will be really interesting and definitely something to get.
    Roybordom
    does anyone else here find humor in the fact that its being released on 9/11?
    njustice4all
    wtf, his death was tragic ebough. But to realese this documentary on 9/11 is just fu-cking retarded.
    jonnyrotten45
    742627000017 wrote: I hope this wont one of shity documentarys that says "he blowed his brains,thats it,"...i think this will be good
    .....what?
    742627000017
    I hope this wont one of shity documentarys that says "he blowed his brains,thats it,"...i think this will be good
    james3208
    Darkshade666 : Just let the man rest in peace dammit. He wouldn't want all this attention.
    Sick_Boy
    I'm surprised Leadbelly's "where did you sleep last night" and something off of Raw Power by The Stooges wasn't on there.