Lady Gaga Album Inspired By Def Leppard

The pop singer says her new album is full of Def Leppard-style choruses. Will 2012 be the year of pop rock?

Lady Gaga Album Inspired By Def Leppard
0
Lady Gaga says her new album draws inspiration from Def Leppard. It follows news from fellow pop starlet Ke$ha who recently claimed her new album will "resurrect rock". Gaga told The Sun she fell in love with Def Leppard when her dad Joe played their records when she was young. "With my music there's lots of really big Def Leppard-style melodies in the choruses but it's electronic dance music," she said. "I'd call it avant-garde techno rock. It is very hard and very edgy. "It is an exploration of electronic music and techno songs but I have created a genre of metal/dance/techno/rock/pop music with a lot of anthemic choruses, because that is actually the music I love." Sorry Gaga, which one of those five genres did you say you loved? The Leppard influence goes beyond a recollection of her youth, having hired their producer Mutt Lance for the song "You And I". Last year, Gaga said she "lived and died by Iron Maiden", making sure to get snaps taken with the band after one of their shows. More recently, Brian May revealed that he had been speaking to her about filling in for Freddie Mercury for a Queen reunion. Keen-eyed UG readers will remember our predictions that the likes of Lady Gaga and Ke$ha will be making moves towards the rock world after making what seemed to be a concerted effort to place rock stories last year, with all those backstage photos and praise for rock bands from before their time. We think the record-breaking U2 tour revenue could be part of what influenced their decision to go rock, but that might be too cynical. Let's hope their efforts help convince the wider music press to stop suggesting rock is dead. After all, if the biggest pop artists in the world are taking part, it has a hope of gaining new fans to live on into the distant future.

61 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    harpcicle
    Hearing about all these pop stars being influenced by rock is getting pretty dull. Pink's second album was very rock orientated back in 2003 or so and she just got on with it without trying to garner attention for being a pop artist mixing rock
    Iliekgitaz
    I'm getting tired of these articles Look Lady Gaga and Ke$ha are not gonna resurrect rock ok? That's like saying Lil Wayne resurrected rock because he made an album with guitar on it, which to this day still haunts me. Btw I listened to her album and I listened to a lot of DL and I have to say I hear NO influence from them in her songs at all whatsoever.
    BigSpence
    In other news, local liberal arts student locked out of his room because student life requested a surprise lock change on him for some reason. More at noon.
    pwninator123
    eloera1 wrote: I dont get why UG post articles like this??? I mean I dont have anythin against Lady GAGA, but umm.. this is a GUUUUUIIIIITTTTARRR website!!!!
    Oh, I must've missed where it said Music News.
    Pagan_Poetry
    RideTheRoses wrote: So Lady Gaga wants to be rock huh, let's give her a test, if she can name the fifth circle hires Steve Vai for her next tour she's in, otherwise, she knows where the door is.
    What kind of a test is that?
    Sparda93
    GaGa really can`t be this twisted, she hasn`t done anything to prove her love for rock, nor her passion for it.
    Pagan_Poetry
    eloera1 wrote: I dont get why UG post articles like this??? I mean I dont have anythin against Lady GAGA, but umm.. this is a GUUUUUIIIIITTTTARRR website!!!!
    I'd check your keyboard if I were you. Some of your keys seem to be sticky. Plus I'd rather have this than Courtney Love describing how she shits and which Gallagher brother hates potpourri more.
    nailsarecruel
    Iliekgitaz wrote: I'm getting tired of these articles Look Lady Gaga and Ke$ha are not gonna resurrect rock ok? That's like saying Lil Wayne resurrected rock because he made an album with guitar on it, which to this day still haunts me.
    I remember being directed by a live performance Wayne did and he pulled out a guitar and started making pling pling plong plong noises. It really killed me when the recording picked up chicks screaming what sexy things they'd allow this guy to do to them, then a couple of them started screaming "He's so TALENTED when he did what I guess he imagined was a solo. I tell you, people flip out over Miley and Kesha's trying-too-hard antics, but to this day I can't name how I felt about that particular piece of feedback.
    iplayat11
    eloera1 wrote: I dont get why UG post articles like this??? I mean I dont have anythin against Lady GAGA, but umm.. this is a GUUUUUIIIIITTTTARRR website!!!!
    Click the top 100 tabs by hits. There is a lot of pop music in the top 100 including bruno mars, katy perry, and even lil wayne. Clearly pop music fans bring a lot of traffic to the website. Why wouldn't UG offer news that may be of interest to a large demographic of the website's users?
    Iliekgitaz
    Trent Armitage wrote: Iliekgitaz wrote: I'm getting tired of these articles Look Lady Gaga and Ke$ha are not gonna resurrect rock ok? That's like saying Lil Wayne resurrected rock because he made an album with guitar on it, which to this day still haunts me. Btw I listened to her album and I listened to a lot of DL and I have to say I hear NO influence from them in her songs at all whatsoever. Quit being a negative nancy :'( I can hear some instances of some Def Leppard
    I'm not being a negative nancy, I'm just speaking the truth. Pop music can't bring back rock, all that it will do is have people gain interest in edgier pop music.
    Pagan_Poetry
    I'd accept Lady Gaga into the rock world any day. She's at least got some talent and writes her own songs. So meh, why not? Worth a shot. Ke$ha on the other hand I do not. Hearing that she could actually kind of sing on that Bob Dylan song only made me hate her lazy ass more.
    spiff-corgi
    Pagan_Poetry wrote: spiff-corgi wrote: Pagan_Poetry wrote: Ke$ha on the other hand I do not. Hearing that she could actually kind of sing on that Bob Dylan song only made me hate her lazy ass more. Am I missing something here? You hate her more after hearing her sing alright? What? Basically the fact that she can kind of sing and flat out doesnt is god damn irritating. It proves that she could be more but relies on nothing more than auto tune, annoying talking and the work of producers to get money. She's lazy in every sense of the word (especially look wise. She looks like an eel drowning in olive oil). If it was just her being absolutely terrible and being made huge because of the producers, it'd still be annoying but okay, it's been done many times already so I'm kind of used to it. The fact that she CAN sing a bit just irritates me so much more. She's nothing more than a cash grabbing slob that has no artistic integrity whatsoever when she very well could have.
    See I KNEW you'd have a good reason. You're Pagan_Poetry.
    Pagan_Poetry
    spiff-corgi wrote: See I KNEW you'd have a good reason. You're Pagan_Poetry.
    I don't know what that means, but thank you nonetheless. =]
    switch625DL wrote: AAARRRRRGGGHHHH goddamn bit*ches, 'they love rock', they say. stupid cu*nts. She won't ever come close to the musicianship and awesomeness of Def Leppard. She will be gone in few years. Def Leppard will last forever. Like Steel Panther's song... Gold digging who*re. With no talent at all.
    Jeez did Pokerface kill your dog or something?
    Pagan_Poetry
    spiff-corgi wrote: Pagan_Poetry wrote: Ke$ha on the other hand I do not. Hearing that she could actually kind of sing on that Bob Dylan song only made me hate her lazy ass more. Am I missing something here? You hate her more after hearing her sing alright? What?
    Basically the fact that she can kind of sing and flat out doesnt is god damn irritating. It proves that she could be more but relies on nothing more than auto tune, annoying talking and the work of producers to get money. She's lazy in every sense of the word (especially look wise. She looks like an eel drowning in olive oil). If it was just her being absolutely terrible and being made huge because of the producers, it'd still be annoying but okay, it's been done many times already so I'm kind of used to it. The fact that she CAN sing a bit just irritates me so much more. She's nothing more than a cash grabbing slob that has no artistic integrity whatsoever when she very well could have.
    CR!$+@
    Come on guys she has a realy good voice i think she could totaly pull it off you know if shes not in a bad romance.
    m4ss3 m/
    App for blocking Nickelback from internet? How about one for this c*nt?
    Reagar
    Lol Def Leppard. Maybe she'll start singing more explicitly about people jizzing on her I think maybe she's probably included as many tags as possible so that it gets reported on lots of websites, cause her music is not metal, and I'm not even a metal fan so have no pride at stake in that statement
    Engel22
    People wonder why certain artists keep saying that Rock is dead, well, here's the answer to those questions. Gaga and Ke$ha are not going to revive Rock N' Roll, they're going to kill it if they have their way.
    the_messenger66
    Sigh, she is trying too hard to be different by labeling herself, "avant-garde". ("ooh, I'm so edgy.") She's trying to live up to the image she wants to be. Mashing genre's together doesn't make it avant-garde. It's like putting a bunch of food together and making....a sandwich?? Even though the sandwich itself was revolutionary, Lady Gaga is a sandwich made of sandwiches crying out for attention in an over saturated cheeseburger like music industry. I'm not saying that she isn't talented, she is. But she's just taken the 80s and ran it through a machine worthy of Wonka and created a pop monster (and there's definitely no metal in there, that's for damn sure.)
    Vyden09
    Who gives a flying ****. It is just ****ing music calm down and ****ing enjoy it, if not then don't listen to it.
    eloera1
    I dont get why UG post articles like this??? I mean I dont have anythin against Lady GAGA, but umm.. this is a GUUUUUIIIIITTTTARRR website!!!!
    pwnadgebunny
    it's still good to see these pop artists respecting rock. lady gaga is easily my favorite current pop artist out there right now.
    vikkyvik
    Sparda93 wrote: GaGa really can`t be this twisted, she hasn`t done anything to prove her love for rock, nor her passion for it.
    She doesn't have to do anything to prove her love for rock, nor her passion for it. Why people get worked up at these articles (stupid as they may be) is beyond me.
    WholeLottaIzzy
    Her music is cool. Imagine how good it would be if she was influenced by a GOOD classic rock band?
    switch625DL
    AAARRRRRGGGHHHH goddamn bit*ches, 'they love rock', they say. stupid cu*nts. She won't ever come close to the musicianship and awesomeness of Def Leppard. She will be gone in few years. Def Leppard will last forever. Like Steel Panther's song... Gold digging who*re. With no talent at all.
    6-String_Madman
    Trent Armitage wrote: Iliekgitaz wrote: I'm getting tired of these articles Look Lady Gaga and Ke$ha are not gonna resurrect rock ok? That's like saying Lil Wayne resurrected rock because he made an album with guitar on it, which to this day still haunts me. Btw I listened to her album and I listened to a lot of DL and I have to say I hear NO influence from them in her songs at all whatsoever. Quit being a negative nancy :'( I can hear some instances of some Def Leppard
    Hey! Go see an OTOLOGIST...
    pwnadgebunny wrote: it's still good to see these pop artists respecting rock. lady gaga is easily my favorite current pop artist out there right now.
    Hey! Go see an OPHTHALMOLOGIST...
    lmo2th
    This is just Lady Gaga trying yet again to expand into a market she was never meant to expand to. First she was saying her work was like Green Day, then Iron Maiden and now Def Leppard.
    Trent Armitage
    Iliekgitaz wrote: I'm getting tired of these articles Look Lady Gaga and Ke$ha are not gonna resurrect rock ok? That's like saying Lil Wayne resurrected rock because he made an album with guitar on it, which to this day still haunts me. Btw I listened to her album and I listened to a lot of DL and I have to say I hear NO influence from them in her songs at all whatsoever.
    Quit being a negative nancy :'( I can hear some instances of some Def Leppard
    Lord_Doku
    I'm interested in this album. As long as it won't set the standard for future rock songs. *insert Fruity Loopy Slayer plugin with dubstep bass and ambient synths*
    haygoe
    Reagar wrote: Lol Def Leppard. Maybe she'll start singing more explicitly about people jizzing on her I think maybe she's probably included as many tags as possible so that it gets reported on lots of websites, cause her music is not metal, and I'm not even a metal fan so have no pride at stake in that statement
    if your not a metal then umm why are you on this web site jw lol
    RideTheRoses
    So Lady Gaga wants to be rock huh, let's give her a test, if she can name the fifth circle hires Steve Vai for her next tour she's in, otherwise, she knows where the door is.
    Skuzzmo
    Vyden09 wrote: Who gives a flying ****. It is just ****ing music calm down and ****ing enjoy it, if not then don't listen to it.
    Yes...this.
    daverolston
    Although I don't care for her music that much I think Katy Perry could sing for a rock band no problem. Also, Faith No More are the greatest avant garde band OF ALL TIME.
    jordo246
    When she can hold peoples attention with her music and not some stupid costume or wearing next to nothing on stage I'll listen to it.