Linkin Park 'Get Back To Their Roots'

Co-frontman Mike Shinoda says the rumors of a guitar-heavy album were untrue, but insists the new album is in the spirit of their heyday.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

Linkin Park say their new album takes them "back to their roots", but says the press has misinterpreted this to say there will be more guitars.

"That's actually been misinterpreted," said co-frontman Mike Shinoda to NME. "What we've actually said is that the record gets back to our roots and it's captured a feeling that we haven't gone after in many years. I think that's gone misconstrued as a return to heavy guitars."

Does this mean they will continue down the experimental path seen on "A Thousand Suns"?

"I'll say it like this; with 'Minutes To Midnight' and even more so with 'A Thousand Suns', we were making an effort to get away from the sound of the first two records," Shinoda replied. "The reason for that was that we felt if we made a third record that sounded that way, we'd be pigeonholed into doing that forever."

If it sounds like the frontman is finding it hard to describe his own music, wait until you read this tool-ish monologue:

"I think we got so interested in adding new tools to the toolbox that we forgot what was already in the toolbox. After making a few records which just focused on the different stuff, it became fresh again to go back and use the old tools. It's definitely not going back to our old ways, we've used all the tools in the toolbox."

Tools, tools, tools. It sounds like Linkin Park need to jump out of the toolbox and make something human again. Hopefully the new album "Living Things" will live up to its name and do just that.

124 comments sorted by best / new / date

    XtractionProces
    Sparky92 wrote: I guess Kerrang! must have been lying then! Their article a couple of weeks back say
    You just answered your own ****ing question.
    TheChaz
    Sorry, but ATS was their best album. Their first two albums were repetitive, angsty, boring music.
    bornIIhula
    Proud_Stray wrote: UGtom wrote: Hello, Tom from UG here, I wanted to respond to the comments about bias here. It's not about sharing a personal opinion or trying to be funny -- it's sometimes about holding artists to account for saying stupid things, and that includes Shinoda's flawed comment about using tools in the studio. Pasting his comment on its own doesn't necessarily communicate everything that is really being said. Behind his words would seem to be a lack of coherence and perhaps a strategy to mislead fans into thinking they're 'back on form'. Which may or may not be true. After highlighting the curious nature of his comment, you can decide for yourself. It's not your job to "hold artists accountable" or interpret the news you are reporting on, it is the reader's job to interpret the information. It is your job to report the facts and NOTHING ELSE. Any kind of interpretation on your end is bias, any time you ask questions or address the reader by saying "check this out" or "read this part" you are no longer writing a news article, your are writing an opinion piece. Saying "I don't think what this person said makes sense/I think they're being dishonest so I'm going to edit it or leave it out or comment on it while I'm writing" means you are corrupting the information. If you want to write opinion pieces or editorials or have segments like 'It's the End of the Week as we Know It' then fine, but stop touting these biased articles as real news.
    If you're gonna take this guy on, steer clear of the word bias. Acknowledging bias in an article is like acknowledging the fact that the sky is blue. Every written piece ever put together is affected by bias in some way. So what you're really trying to address isn't really an issue with bias, more an issue on how these writers blur the line between opinion and article pieces. I just wanted to pick you up on that, you probably were already aware.
    bornIIhula
    Comeback Kiddd wrote: Im hoping it has a concept like ats or m2m. It made the every song sound better as a whole than just individual tracks with their own thing
    If I wanted something deep and brooding like a concept album I wouldn't be looking to linkin park, dude. There are plenty of bands who do concepts better.
    DemonicTurtle66
    Heard the song today, and I'm not a fan. When they said they were going back to their roots I, like many, thought it was going to be more like Hybrid Theory or Meteora. Their new single is too "electronic" for my taste. I don't mind them going in a new direction as artists, but saying "We're going back to our roots" was pretty misleading.
    sickassfoo
    metallicaftwlp wrote: no no no, it's like saying Metallica are going back to their roots (like kill 'em all) but instead of guitars they're using synths. The ship of good Linkin Park sailed long ago.
    YES!!exactly what i was going to say. but most bands just say that so people can change their opinioins on them and go out to buy the album. like when metallica released death magnetic they kept saying that it was almost the same as "...and justice for all" to get everyone to give it a chance
    Shaggy91
    Jesus UG...does an opinionated 16 year old kid write your articles?
    this.
    crazysam23_Atax
    im not mental wrote: stop pretending you still listen to nu metal.
    I agree. Furthermore, stop calling "nu metal" metal. Also, can someone please get the adbots out of here please? Thanks.
    CapnKickass
    UGtom wrote: Sorry to disagree, but holding public figures to account really is the job of a journalist. Bear in mind how tame the article really is. Of course, the facts are more important than anything, and they're all available in this article. For the record, there is no rule at UG that we submit only facts and no comment. This isn't a broadsheet newspaper. You do remind me of a wonderful quote: "Comment is free, but facts are sacred"
    Whatever these article are, they kinda suck, with the added bs.
    eljono123
    Listened to the new recording. sucked. Why in the he** are we using synths when God gave us DRUM KITS and GUITARS. I don't get it but oh well.
    redhotsexmagic
    every LP album that's come out since MTM I've initially been "meh" about and then end up loving it and listening to it nonstop for months..they're great albums you just have to let them grow on you..i'll be an LP fan as long as they keep crankin out albums..TOOLBOX!
    Sparky92
    I guess Kerrang! must have been lying then! Their article a couple of weeks back says, and I quote: "Chester Bennington takes K! on a tour of their forthcoming album - and explains how they've learned to love guitars again..." Somebody's got some 'splaining to do!
    fromzero
    cafauer wrote: Whoa...who made Shinoda the front man?
    Xero did. That's what Linkin Park was called before Chester joined.
    darkdevout
    john_kimble wrote: Honestly, do you people actually like this band? Talk about overrated rap-rock/nu-metal.
    They were the band that got me into rock in general when I was 7, I have and unconditional love for them even tho I don't like every album, I am currently 16.
    X21MattX22
    I love Linkin Park and I always have but I just wish they put out stuff like Hybrid Theory and Meteora albums. Now that is where Linkin Park's roots lie
    purplexing
    fromzero wrote: Their roots are changing the sound to something marketable. Linkin Park didn't always have a singer. The label said hey, this is ok but you need a Chester because rap rock only gets you so far. So they changed it up huge when he came. Then the remix albums put the electronics into their songs and it was popular on more than just rock stations. Right now rock isn't selling as much as hiphop / pop / dance which have very little border these days because they're all blended so they dumped that in the sound. Now its way more marketable. Sure we all like slayer on this board but you can't follow lil Wayne and rihanna with slayer. Linkin Park is a business. A successful business and this is the profit growth strategy. I'm willing to bet that the new cd, in its first 2 weeks sells double the first 2 albums first 2 weeks.
    While I agree with most of what you said, I don't see them selling more than the first two albums simply because no one is really buying music anymore.
    fromzero
    Their roots are changing the sound to something marketable. Linkin Park didn't always have a singer. The label said hey, this is ok but you need a Chester because rap rock only gets you so far. So they changed it up huge when he came. Then the remix albums put the electronics into their songs and it was popular on more than just rock stations. Right now rock isn't selling as much as hiphop / pop / dance which have very little border these days because they're all blended so they dumped that in the sound. Now its way more marketable. Sure we all like slayer on this board but you can't follow lil Wayne and rihanna with slayer. Linkin Park is a business. A successful business and this is the profit growth strategy. I'm willing to bet that the new cd, in its first 2 weeks sells double the first 2 albums first 2 weeks.
    maleathe
    Van Halen "returned to their roots" with their new album, and it worked out well.
    UGtom
    Proud_Stray wrote: UGtom wrote: Hello, Tom from UG here, I wanted to respond to the comments about bias here. It's not about sharing a personal opinion or trying to be funny -- it's sometimes about holding artists to account for saying stupid things, and that includes Shinoda's flawed comment about using tools in the studio. Pasting his comment on its own doesn't necessarily communicate everything that is really being said. Behind his words would seem to be a lack of coherence and perhaps a strategy to mislead fans into thinking they're 'back on form'. Which may or may not be true. After highlighting the curious nature of his comment, you can decide for yourself. It's not your job to "hold artists accountable" or interpret the news you are reporting on, it is the reader's job to interpret the information. It is your job to report the facts and NOTHING ELSE. Any kind of interpretation on your end is bias, any time you ask questions or address the reader by saying "check this out" or "read this part" you are no longer writing a news article, your are writing an opinion piece. Saying "I don't think what this person said makes sense/I think they're being dishonest so I'm going to edit it or leave it out or comment on it while I'm writing" means you are corrupting the information. If you want to write opinion pieces or editorials or have segments like 'It's the End of the Week as we Know It' then fine, but stop touting these biased articles as real news.
    Sorry to disagree, but holding public figures to account really is the job of a journalist. Bear in mind how tame the article really is. Of course, the facts are more important than anything, and they're all available in this article. For the record, there is no rule at UG that we submit only facts and no comment. This isn't a broadsheet newspaper. You do remind me of a wonderful quote: "Comment is free, but facts are sacred"
    Kenjisan231
    You know, its not like I ever thought they sold out or anything, to my knowledge, they were always pretty damn popular. I think my sadness comes from disappointment and a lack of understanding. I am disappointed because this band makes different music than what they did when I grew up, and that just seems to be who they are now. I said different music, not bad music. I started listening to them for their hard rockish sound, but its not like they don't make hard rock songs I don't like anymore, they make something significantly different. Second, I still don't understand what happened. I read the article, Mike said they didn't want to get pidgeonholed, but that doesn't make sense. Big guitars, drums, bass, etc... A lot of musicians take pride in that, and will simply tell you that's what they do and that's who they are, its not something they are just trying out. Maybe I am also not reading the right articles, but they seem to want to acknowledge Hybrid Theory and Meteora as little as possible. Mike didn't even say them by name, he referred to them as 'the first two albums'.
    $hithappen$16
    Let's face it: they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't If Linkin Park kept putting out music like Hybrid Theory and Meteora, they'd wind up going the same route as all the other bands that came out in the early 2000s. they would be critized for not changing up their style and they'd eventually fizzle out. But when they DO change their style they're critized for not going back their "roots." I personally love the new sound and I like that they keep changing and moving forward. They were in their 20s when they made their first record. Now they are in their 30s and have grown out of their nu-metal phase. I hate to burst your bubble but they aren't going to go back to their old sound anytime soon. So you either get the hell over it abd find another band to satisfy your nu-metal needs or you embrace change and support them.
    Raven_Flight
    This article is sad... And this:
    espal wrote: I don't want a new album... I want a nu album
    Is probably the lamest comment I have ever read. And it's even worse that it has 77 thumbs up.
    umbrella666
    God people are upsetting....A Thousand Suns was actually a great album....****ing think straight people if they stayed to their "Nu Metal" sound you know what you hypocrites would be saying? "God they sound all alike. Why can't they try something different?" Change is/should be inevitable....or you're just gonna have some washed up overused sound...They didn't change for the heavier....also they were doing straight synth tracks before even Hybrid Theory came out
    gmoney2748
    Thecastermaster wrote: I hope they go back to their roots, since roots are usually buried deep underground far away from our ears.
    I just laughed so hard at this
    tdwpozzy
    Im still a Linkin Park fan....although I prefer the first two albums, but in my personal opinion; old LP lyrics were qu ite a bit more relatable and not as vague, and these lyrics were sung with passion that you could feel and somewhat understand when you heard them. I will always have a respect for what they choose to do as a band but to me, Linkin Park has madethemselves somewhat less accessible emotionally to people like myself.
    jbeez19
    What's funny is that their new song sounds exactly like their past two albums!!
    Smokinjoerules1
    Maniac206 wrote: Linkin Park's new sound is as good as the old one for me. It is just different. The fact is: you wouldn't like that Linkin Park write the same style of songs again and again like Nickelback.
    And weirdly enough...Nickelback still released a new album that managed to sound great :')
    SIEGE312
    UG sounds a little irritated with LP... Can't say I disagree, though, please get away from this industro-pop crap.
    biff022
    I love the comments old LP vs new... it's all terrible... if you didn't latch on to this band when you when 12 or 13 I can't see anyone tolerating this. Linkin Park has always been a caricature of it's own self... right down to the Limp Bizkit sounding stupidly spelled name.
    jtallen0496
    kskero wrote: People (including Linkin Park themselves) need to just stop talking about their music and let it speak for its self. Release the album and stop talking about which direction or have or haven't taken! It only leads to people getting a false image of what it's going to be into their head, leading to disappointment.
    Thank you!!!
    CherubRock91
    Why do people moan when a band has changed there sound, and moan once more when a band sounds the same over a lengthy period of time? Bands have to evolve to create new material. If fans of old school LP dislike the idea of synths then they can look elsewhere. LP have grown up, heavy distorted guitars are not the only way to make decent, powerful music.
    sergiozaciu
    Chester CAN sing, he's in fact become a much better live performer, so has the rest of the band. I loved A Thousand Suns, and absolutely hated Minutes To Midnight (definitely their worst album) I didn't like the new Single Burn It Down AT ALL, but if they have some songs that blend something along the lines of Lying From You and Waiting For The End, then I'll definitely give it a try. I'm watching them live June 6th, I suppose they'll play a new song or two.
    op4blushift
    Am I the only person that DOESN'T like Hybrid Theory and Meteora that much? At one point in time I really loved them, but when I try and listen to them now (which is pretty rare nowadays) I'm usually skipping 3/4 of the album. ATS was definetely my favourite record, but I don't get why people are so against using synths/electronic instruments. Its like they're not "real" instruments or something. An electric guitar has to be plugged into an amp to sound good, and that requires power, so technically it is electronic. But whatever, personally I am pretty disappointed in the new single, but I'm hoping that the rest of the album is better.