Nickelback Talk New Album

Chad Kroeger laughs when asked if the phenomenal sales for 2005's "All the Right Reasons" gave confidence to Nickelback.

Nickelback Talk New Album
0
Chad Kroeger laughs when asked if the phenomenal sales for 2005's "All The Right Reasons" gave confidence to Nickelback as it set out to make its sixth studio album, "Dark Horse." "No, because look what we have to try to live up to," says Kroeger, who co-founded the quartet in 1995 in Alberta, Canada. "There's a mountain sitting behind us. We've got to try and put something out now that's going to stand up to that. So for us, the bar has been raised ridiculously high." "Dark Horse," which comes out November 18 on Roadrunner and was co-produced by Mutt Lange, certainly has a target to clear. Buoyed by seven multiformat hit singles and five No. 1 videos-and apparently unaffected by widespread critical drubbing - "All The Right Reasons" has sold 10 million copies worldwide, according to Roadrunner, and spent a staggering 110 consecutive weeks in the top 30 of the Billboard 200. It fell off the chart October 11 after a 156-week run, the longest registered in 11 years. "All The Right Reasons" also took off in a big way this summer in Europe, meaning Kroeger and his bandmates-brother and bassist Mike Kroeger, guitarist Ryan Peake and drummer Daniel Adair - were multitasking across two continents as they recorded "Dark Horse" and promoted its predecessor. "We've never left the previous album cycle," Roadrunner president Jonas Nachsin says. "That's got to be a seriously positive sign going into a new one. It's become such a monster to try to put our arms around, we're just doing the best we can to guide it into fruition at this point." In his first interview about the new album, Kroeger - who started working with Lange ("The dude is my hero," he says) on "Dark Horse" in March in Switzerland - acknowledges that he "would've liked a longer break" for himself. But he also recognized it was time for more Nickelback music in the marketplace. "If you're a fan of the band and you went out and got 'All the Right Reasons' the first week it was released, you'd be waiting for new material for, like, three years now," Kroeger says. "So it was definitely time for us to make sure that we had a new album and some new songs for the fans." Thanks for the info to Billboard.com.

90 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Strato-Massacre
    i swear, the first few seconds of their new song, i thought it was that usher cats "love in this club" or w/e he calls it.
    dann_blood
    Looking forward to the album. I hope they take a step backwards and write it more in the style of The Long Road, which is a great album when you listen to the whole thing. Still, as long as they put on a few songs that are in the old style, i'll be good. Also, when you guys talk about whether a band is good or not, you have to look at their live performance as well. Whether you like or don't like the music is irrelevant, because you'll like the music regardless if the stage performance is good enough. And Nickelback have that type of stage performance.
    wyldeshredder
    i think a bit of their old stuff.....but, i truly hope i dont get this album for christmass.. when i was 12 i was like "metallica,get me metallica! master of puppets!!c'mon! (i only had RTL,and the black album at that point..) what did i get.****in nickelback. all the wrong reasons. great
    MetalGear1786
    Personally I think the music the majority of the people on this site listen too is shit. Ive herd far worse albums then ATRR.
    taytay8b
    you people will be really surprised when you hear the new album...its not nickelback...thanks to lange most likely...i swear its actually good
    newbie08
    Haha, Nickelback are so funny. The lead singer looks like a horse too.
    RUSTDOGG666
    wow they've kept this secret for a while usually you would hear something like this a few months in advance like we did with metallicas album. oh well hope its good.
    AVA_Plus44_182
    I just get sick of hearing chad singing about how butch he is, about his meaningless affairs (all the wrong reasons) which he thinks mean the world, and about how badly he'll mess you up if you touch his girlfriend (next contestant). Just doesn't mean shit to me and neither does the music that supports it after a few listens. I'm sorry but I'm allowed to state that I don't like something and explain why, regardless of what you nazis say.
    AVA_Plus44_182
    recliner33 wrote: AVA_Plus44_182 wrote: I actually got all their albums last year, all 5 of them, and listened to them very open-mindedly. I was doing that on and off for almost a year and recently I came to the conclusion that I just don't like them, not even the old stuff. I'm not bashing this band, I'm just voicing my opinion and justifying it, which I'm pretty sure shouldn't earn me a warning. I find the old stuff to have poor musicianship and sub-par production, and I find the newer stuff to have equally poor musicianship but good production. And it was the last album (which I think is crap) that sold 10 million copes. What does that tell you? It tells me that you are insane for buying their 5 albums and even more insane for listening to them on and off for an entire year.
    They were on my Zen and I was listening on and off at work. I wasn't listening specially to them in a sealed room at home so it's not like I was going out of my way and stabbing myself in the leg by listening to a band I gradually liked less and less. And I didn't buy them, I copied the albums off my friend because he used to like them. He has, coincidentally, also gone off the band in recent times. If I had liked them I would have considered paying for some of their albums but that wasn't the case. So your argument fails.
    BOSS-anaut
    New album eh? This, my people, is a problem that must be solved. Excuse me while I listen to more disgustingly sung songs whose vocal styles came from such fantastic bands such as CREED!
    realiztik
    MY GOD, YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!!! They just put out an album that is one of the biggest ever, and you think they they are only looking at record sales! The album had HUGE hits wether you like them or not.. how can you top that? I dunno... How can you Metallica? Megadeth? Aerosmith? AC/DC? Name the band you like and figure this out yourself... You post sh*t posts ONLY because you don't like em. GIVE CREDIT WHERE ITS DUE!!!!! They are amazing musicians, don't believe me? Go see em live. They know how to put on a good show. That's what people pay for, and they deliver. NOW SHUT UP!!!
    korn_dawg
    recliner33 wrote: AVA_Plus44_182 wrote: I actually got all their albums last year, all 5 of them, and listened to them very open-mindedly. I was doing that on and off for almost a year and recently I came to the conclusion that I just don't like them, not even the old stuff. I'm not bashing this band, I'm just voicing my opinion and justifying it, which I'm pretty sure shouldn't earn me a warning. I find the old stuff to have poor musicianship and sub-par production, and I find the newer stuff to have equally poor musicianship but good production. And it was the last album (which I think is crap) that sold 10 million copes. What does that tell you? It tells me that you are insane for buying their 5 albums and even more insane for listening to them on and off for an entire year.
    +1
    recliner33
    AVA_Plus44_182 wrote: I actually got all their albums last year, all 5 of them, and listened to them very open-mindedly. I was doing that on and off for almost a year and recently I came to the conclusion that I just don't like them, not even the old stuff. I'm not bashing this band, I'm just voicing my opinion and justifying it, which I'm pretty sure shouldn't earn me a warning. I find the old stuff to have poor musicianship and sub-par production, and I find the newer stuff to have equally poor musicianship but good production. And it was the last album (which I think is crap) that sold 10 million copes. What does that tell you?
    It tells me that you are insane for buying their 5 albums and even more insane for listening to them on and off for an entire year.
    Negativeone666
    meh, the only song that really made an impression on me was "side of a bullet" because Dimebag had a solo in it. And all i can picture wen i hear their name is that famous bottling video.
    travd92
    i like nickelback. just because to me, they have a good sound. they aren't really orignial, but their sound is good to me.
    2113
    They don't have anything to live up to, what they're saying is bullshit. They've got instruments, payola , and a nation of idiots who like awful music. They don't have to even exert effort in the position they're in.
    pootoob
    I used to like Nickelback, and then he goes and makes comments like this "There's a mountain sitting behind us. We've got to try and put something out now that's going to stand up to that. So for us, the bar has been raised ridiculously high." Normally, bands try and beat their last records in terms of skill, musiucianship, writing, etc. From the sounds of that the only thing they are trying to beat is their sales record...
    Shadow_player
    newbie08 : Haha, Nickelback are so funny. The lead singer looks like a horse too
    hahah yh its true... but they songs are so bland get sum flavour in your music horseman and crew!
    Rajah
    Yeah, God damn, how disappointing it would be to get a Nickelback album and have it not sound like Nickelback. Any of you "musicians with superior opinions" expect it to sound like anything else? Get over yourselves. They've released 5 albums that sound like Nickelback and yet you complain? AC/DC release 18 or so albums, and use the same riffs over and over again for the last 30 odd years, yet no-one complains? Why is that? Same boring arguement, they sound the same. Would you expect an AC/DC record to sound anything apart from an AC/DC record?
    3 days grace14
    wow hey i agree there older stuf was heavier but come on there are obviously people who like it if you just gonna flame them y even read the article your just being dicks go cut your self and write emo music
    Snoopz
    *Loooza_LotZ!* wrote: in response to MESAexplorer, we come on these threads to prove that some people on this website have taste.....anyway, would some please tell chad to sort out his 'tache/beard as it doesn't go with his hair and it looks freaky, thank you
    Ooh, lol you don't like his beard even, you dont like their music,look,etc... why did u paid attention for the thread & replied, to prove that you got a good music taste lol, so take this buddy, you ain't got any musical TASTE! coz, weather you hate nickelback or not that won't make their fans go away & hate them as you do.
    Snoopz
    Nickelback Rocks, They are the best rock band I've ever seen, I think the target from the dark horse is to show the people that they aren't stuck in one style & they can't success without it, Look what "Gotta Be Somebody" single did on the radio... wow Nickelback you rock!
    Rajah
    HostileFTW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOG 2NktOfE8 They sure can put on a live show!!!
    That was about 5 years ago at a metal show in Portugal. They shouldn't have even been on the bill but the promoter's son was a huge fan and they offered Nickelback a decent sum of money to play, and the band had initially refused but finally agreed. But of course the video gets posted, and linked, by those with no idea of the truth. They had rocks thrown at them. I recall years ago Motorhead had darts thrown at them and Motley Crue had coins with razor blades attached thrown at them. Hell, even Sharon Osbourne threw eggs at Iron Maiden last year. Goes to show the general public can be moronic when they want to be.
    kennedys1
    i just got darkhorse and i'm gonna say this sounds a deal heavier than their last album, sure it still has its lighter kinda poppish songs, but you can base and entire cd off of those. all in all i say they did a damn good job with this one!
    Zombiestompa
    Dark Horse is definitely their heaviest sounding album yet. It still doesn't compare to The Long Road (that's just my opinion)To all who choose to "attack" people who enjoy what they enjoy, whether it be Nickelback or Metallica, Slayer, In Flames etc. Get a life, get out of your bedrooms or wherever it is nurture your hate and take a moment or two to ponder this....If your opinion mattered, why is it that you feel the need to waste your time on here *bashing* people for "having no taste in music" I'm sure every band you like are genius' and everyone's heard of them. It's true there is no justice, when some people are asked to name a song by Pink Floyd for example they do not know any, yet when asked to name a song by this band they'll immediately respond. (READ THAT LAST SENTENCE BEFORE YOU START SAYING I'M COMPARING NICKELBACK WITH PINK FLOYD - i'm not)It isn't right that they know one but not the other, however that's life. It should not be anyone's personal mission to "educate" others in the rights and wrongs of music and if you think that's what you should do, then go home and re-evaluate your life. I like Nickelback and have done for about a decade or so since I first heard The State, I also listen to many hundreds of other bands for example the aforementioned Pink Floyd, Soilwork, Joe Satriani, Alice in Chains, does this mean I have no taste or that I just like other things than you do, or does it mean that we may have common ground. Get over the disagreement with this band before you embarass yourselves. The older stuff was okay, the newer stuff isn't going to change the world but Dark Horse definitely alot more fun than All the right reasons. I like it and wish tham all the very best of success.
    ibanez124
    Its nice to see so many losers have the time to read about a band they don't even care about, and also to post a message about a band that they don't even care about. Just shows that you guys have no lives what so ever.
    thesecondman
    I tend to accept changes in sound when it comes to bands' albums... but this one seems like it's less for a rock concert and more for a dance hall. Seems very uncharacteristic. I 3 of the 6 albums and could only make myself listen to about a minute of each song. It's a disappointment in my book. Also: every one of their songs is about sex. Every single one. Not even Buckcherry (another band I at the minimum, respect) rolls like that. Too bad. This was one I was looking forward to.
    taytay8b
    New song, called "Something In Your Mouth", i swear this doesn't sound like them at all, and because of that, i'm looking forward to the new album!
    MCRkid22
    Meh... I don't mind them. They're way to overrated, to be sure, but you also gotta respect them. Seven major singles? I mean, come on, that's totally insane. It's a really rare thing, and obviously they're talented. I don't necessarily like the music as much as i like, say Alice in Chains, but it's still pretty good.
    hardrocker64
    They are living the dream that every rockstar wants. gotta give them credit for it. They have stayed on the radio constantly for years now like them or not.
    hardrocker64
    yea, i agree. the new song is not good at all
    xxmoshoutxx wrote: they put out some decent songs but the new single sounds like a load of sh!t
    Amadeus_Wolves
    honestly, i must have missed the memo that said everyone has to hate nickleback. i find their music pretty catchy, all across the board. i really don't see why it's a bad thing. and simplicity has always been a good thing in music because it makes it accessable to all people, musicians or not. over complicating something to make a name for yourself is just plain dull.
    HostileFTW
    realiztik wrote: MY GOD, YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS!!! They just put out an album that is one of the biggest ever, and you think they they are only looking at record sales! The album had HUGE hits wether you like them or not.. how can you top that? I dunno... How can you Metallica? Megadeth? Aerosmith? AC/DC? Name the band you like and figure this out yourself... You post sh*t posts ONLY because you don't like em. GIVE CREDIT WHERE ITS DUE!!!!! They are amazing musicians, don't believe me? Go see em live. They know how to put on a good show. That's what people pay for, and they deliver. NOW SHUT UP!!!
    They sure can put on a live show!!!
    HostileFTW
    Rajah wrote: Yeah, God damn, how disappointing it would be to get a Nickelback album and have it not sound like Nickelback. Any of you "musicians with superior opinions" expect it to sound like anything else? Get over yourselves. They've released 5 albums that sound like Nickelback and yet you complain? AC/DC release 18 or so albums, and use the same riffs over and over again for the last 30 odd years, yet no-one complains? Why is that? Same boring arguement, they sound the same. Would you expect an AC/DC record to sound anything apart from an AC/DC record?
    Who said everybody liked Ac/Dc? Hell most of us hate Brian Johnson! Sells/Popularity =/= Talent.
    tele150322
    His voice just kills me. He's trying way to hard to get a certain sound and not being real. and regardless of their success or alleged musicianship (which I have not seen any evidence of anything special), I really just hope this album gets lost and not sold and nickleback disbands, because honestly I can't listen to that voice anymore.
    *Loooza_LotZ!*
    in response to MESAexplorer, we come on these threads to prove that some people on this website have taste.....anyway, would some please tell chad to sort out his 'tache/beard as it doesn't go with his hair and it looks freaky, thank you
    Teen Spirit
    Their older, grunge-based stuff was much better. But congrats to Nickelback anyway, they're working hard.