Josh Homme is back in the studio with his band now that his legal battle with former bandmates in Kyuss has settled down - despite promising a new QOTSA album by the end of 2011.
Posted on Aug 21, 2012 12:33 pm
Queens Of The Stone Age have re-booted their recording sessions for the long-awaited follow-up to 2007's "Era Vulgaris".
The band posted the simple status update "Recording"last night, then followed it this morning with "Told ya" and the image below of a guitar in the studio. Tens of thousands of fans have "liked" each message.
The on-going sessions raise questions about the new album. Frontman Josh Homme had previously insisted recording would be complete before the close of 2011. "Our record will be done by the end of the year. We have enough songs," he said at the time (via Spinner).
By December, the band were holed up in Homme's desert recording studio where he posted updates saying it sounded "killer" but couldn't confirm a release (via NME).
Why the long delay? Perhaps the spat between Homme and his former bandmates in Kyuss has disrupted proceedings.
Kyuss had rebooted in recent years under the banner Kyuss Lives! and toured live with Homme's blessing, but when he discovered their intentions to "steal" the original Kyuss trademark he took legal action in an attempt to defend the band's legacy.
A judge ruled this week on a preliminary injunction which officially bans Kyuss Lives! from recording new material under that name.
It appears that the ruling has freed Homme's time to regroup his efforts on the forthcoming Queens Of The Stone Age album. As one of the most anticipated rock albums in years, its release can't come soon enough.