Rihanna Samples Metallica On New Album

Rihanna has reportedly sampled Metallica on her new album, "Talk That Talk", which is scheduled for release on November 21.

Rihanna Samples Metallica On New Album
0
According to Blabbermouth.net, Rihanna has sampled Metallica on her new album, "Talk That Talk", which is scheduled for release on November 21. The pop singer has used some of the guitar riffs from the San Francisco metal titans' "Wherever I May Roam" track on "Red Lipstick", which appears on the deluxe version of her new record. The song also features sound recordings from Chase & Status' "Saxon". "Wherever I May Roam" comes off Metallica's 1991 self-titled fifth album, commonly known as "the black album," which in 2009 surpassed Shania Twain's 1997 record, "Come On Over", as the best-selling CD of the SoundScan era. To date, the black album has sold 15,715,000 copies in the United States. Although Metallica had scored their first radio and video airplay with their previous effort, 1988's "...And Justice For All", the black album was the band's biggest commercial breakthrough, producing five singles and making them into one of the most popular rock bands in the world.

171 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Krieger91
    Probably just trying to gain some respect from the rock community.. In any case, her voice annoys me so much..
    RoboHendrix
    I hate being a kid of the 90s. The music is shit almost everywhere I tune in and now all the music that's actually worth listening to is getting pwnd by some wannabe... Hire a band and make your own damn music if you love rock so much.
    darth awsome
    ^ Metallica(read: metallica's agent/label)would have had to approve of the sampling. Not only did they approve it, but they're making bank off it too. On another note; Maybe Rhianna's snare sound wont sound like shit.
    Battman1993
    Rhianna does actually like rock. Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme plays guitar for her live, but I do hate her music.
    controlledchaos
    Why do these pop artists get off on claiming to like rock/metal music? Lady Gaga, Kesha and now Rihanna.
    Oblivion_Rps
    markvdhaar wrote: Speaking of Metallica ... their summer festival tour in 2012 will open in Donington's Download festival and they wil play the balck album in it's entirity ... How cool is that? It wil be f***king awesome to hear them play the Struggle Within live ... I'm psyched!
    I don't particularly care about the article, but this... This made my day.
    Itsooz
    Fun fact of the day: Rihanna doesn't write any of her songs or lyrics.
    Chromex
    controlledchaos wrote: Why do these pop artists get off on claiming to like rock/metal music? Lady Gaga, Kesha and now Rihanna.
    This might be difficult for metalheads to understand, but many people listen to more than one genre of music.
    Downfault
    For pop artist like Rihanna, I'm sure that their managment is the reason for something like this. The next thing to help boost her album sales and fan base. Its just simply music business. I doubt she really came up with the idea to sample Metallica but who knows.
    stef123
    I'm not a fan of Rihanna, but even if she does ruin the Metallica song, who cares? Nobody is telling you to listen to it.
    I got the boot
    Krieger91 wrote: Probably just trying to gain some respect from the rock community.. In any case, her voice annoys me so much..
    You mean her autotune annoys you
    Rebel Scum
    Kilimacory wrote: Honestly why do current artists feel the need to sample other songs? Either you can't write your own music, or you want to pay tribute to an artist. But if you're going to do that, then just cover the song. By sampling most people don't know what song it came from and think that little shits like Rihanna wrote it. Rage.
    I knew a girl who was at an Avril concert where she started a cover of Stairway to Heaven and the teeny boppers in front of her started cying that she made a new song. Mindless...
    moose1512
    You realise that she uses a live band when performing, and that her shows are heavier and more ballsy than the studio work, please dont make that idiotic assumption that a vocalist is somehow not as good because they don't play an instrument, vocals are an instrument. But yeah, who care? I don't understand why fans of one genre cant accept that of another, why must you dislike one to like the other?
    CaptinK'nuckles
    sam b wrote on 11/11/2011 - 10:47 am / quote | Rihanna is the shit
    Well, she certainly does inspire loose bowel movements among those with musical taste.
    MCShammas
    Downfault wrote: For pop artist like Rihanna, I'm sure that their managment is the reason for something like this. The next thing to help boost her album sales and fan base. Its just simply music business. I doubt she really came up with the idea to sample Metallica but who knows.
    This is one of the most intelligent things I've seen posted on UG comments.
    GNiCk89
    I feel as though I've walked into the Playa Haters Ball. "Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate"
    bonjidonk
    I'm not much of pop music fan, but pop artist ARE allowed to like rock/metal and the likes. Just because you perform one kind of music doesn't mean you can't enjoy another genre.
    markvdhaar
    Speaking of Metallica ... their summer festival tour in 2012 will open in Donington's Download festival and they wil play the balck album in it's entirity ... How cool is that? It wil be f***king awesome to hear them play the Struggle Within live ... I'm psyched!
    Firebreather01
    And a generation of high schoolers will think she's "hardcore" and won't know the original source of the sample... Though I sometimes like the songs themselves if they do sound good, but I hate the reception when a pop artist does a rock song. You should've seen the reaction I got when I told some kids at school "did you know that that Lil Jon song was made by Ozzy Osbourne?" They thought I was lying. It was ridiculous.
    --ESTRANGED--
    OOH NNAAAH NAAAH WASSA MAH NAAAME?! she's a dick. besides, i highly doubt it was HER idea, more likely to be her producers, yet she takes the credit. Silly cow.
    Char2000
    This site is populated with metal-tards, "POP/RAP/COUNTRY/ETC ISN'T METAL THEREFORE I HATE IT!"
    Ebeli
    Rhianna doesn't produce her music. Regardless if you agree with that or not, shes not to "blame" for the producer sampling Metallica. I'm not surprised all the comments so far have been "LOL POP IS DUMB AND METAL IS ONLY METAL AND HOW DARE POP INCORPORATE METAL THAT'S SILLY" Trust this website to be filled with that kind of idiot.
    raoooos
    I am SO SICK of 'metalheads' automatically concluding that popstars want their respect/popularity - do you seriously think Rihanna is desperate for your support, considering she is currently more popular than pretty much every metal band on the planet? Kindly extract your head from your metal-as-f*** ass.
    Kilimacory
    Honestly why do current artists feel the need to sample other songs? Either you can't write your own music, or you want to pay tribute to an artist. But if you're going to do that, then just cover the song. By sampling most people don't know what song it came from and think that little shits like Rihanna wrote it. Rage.
    Nameless742
    Not a fan of Rhianna however I have no problem having pop stars recognise metal/rock bands. So long as they don't make a cover and slaughter the song. A homage is harmless.
    axeldarkman420
    slaveskinJACKET wrote: axeldarkman420 wrote: What next? Justin Bieber saying he's a Cannibal Corpse fan and collaborates with them? Or The Jonas Brothers sampling some Immortal. This shit is annoying, they are making music that shouldn't happen. Call me an elitist, but metal and pop should never coincide with each other. Wasn't metal an outcry to the mainstream telling everyone to **** off? And now it's apparently acceptable for pop artists to like metal music and the dumbass pop fans think they are metalheads since they heard a part of a Metallica song or since their hero Lady Gaga likes Iron Maiden, they have to like them too. This world is going to hell, good thing I like technical death metal bands, so I can bet I won't be seeing any pop artists liking them. And if I do... then I'll move onto punk or some obscure genre like post rock. You really sound like a douche, man. But I do agree -- this is gonna be one sparkly piece of shit. She has every right to do it, though, considering Metallica, themselves, have most certainly approved it. You also have every right to have an opinion about it... and to make yourself sound like a giant douche. It is a horrible idea, and it's sure to sound just as horrible as you could imagine, but just because you purposefully limit yourself to one specific genre of music doesn't mean she has to -- no matter how shitty her own 'music' is.
    I don't just like metal. I like punk, jazz, blues, and classical. Pop is the epitome of shitty cookie cutter music. The "artists" in the scene make like two records then fizz out in a few years, then you got your replacement "artist" to fill the gap. Mainstream music is boring and repetitive to me, but if you all like it, whatever. To each to their own.
    little_boy
    swatspeedman wrote: Rhianna, proving pop artists really do live off other people's talent
    +99999
    jordo246
    raoooos wrote: I am SO SICK of 'metalheads' automatically concluding that popstars want their respect/popularity - do you seriously think Rihanna is desperate for your support, considering she is currently more popular than pretty much every metal band on the planet? Kindly extract your head from your metal-as-f*** ass.
    And what the **** does popularity mean? Justin bieber is currently more famous than most metal bands, does that make him good? NO. If the musics good then fine, but rihanna's music is shit generic pop music.
    Kakatara
    And if I do... then I'll move onto punk or some obscure genre like post rock.
    Does the hipster inside you make you feel cool? why do you care so much about what people listen to?
    raoooos
    jordo246 wrote: raoooos wrote: I am SO SICK of 'metalheads' automatically concluding that popstars want their respect/popularity - do you seriously think Rihanna is desperate for your support, considering she is currently more popular than pretty much every metal band on the planet? Kindly extract your head from your metal-as-f*** ass. And what the **** does popularity mean? Justin bieber is currently more famous than most metal bands, does that make him good? NO. If the musics good then fine, but rihanna's music is shit generic pop music.
    Well, you've completely and utterly missed the point. I think Rihanna is total garbage, but I'm sick of metalheads convincing themselves that a. Pop singers (a-la Gaga, Kesha, Rihanna) CANNOT like metal/rock music and b. That they somehow are singularly obsessed with gaining the support of the metal/rock community. Also, you're correct in saying that being popular doesn't make you good - but just because you don't like an artist, doesn't make them bad.
    direngrey680
    controlledchaos wrote: Why do these pop artists get off on claiming to like rock/metal music? Lady Gaga, Kesha and now Rihanna.
    Yea...because people can only like and sing one genre of music their whole lives.../sarcasm
    beineken
    Orion999 wrote [Sigh] Really? You're calling metal fans idiots after a comment like this? I'm not even going to address the yawning chasm of taste that exists between metal and pop fans (or the music for that matter). What I'm more interested in is how you figure that Rihanna is not to blame for her music. It's HER music you moron. SHE gets the final call because HER name goes on it. SHE sings over it. Come on. Wise up. When are people going to start taking responsibility for themselves, and demanding that others do the same. Stop making excuses for people, it's such a pathetic approach to life.
    whoops you're wrong. rihanna definitely does NOT get the final say on her records unless they're self-produced (I'm going to go ahead with a leap of faith and assume they aren't). Out of the artist, songwriter (there's a major difference), producer, and record label, the artist usually gets the least say on the matter.
    Root Beer
    OMGitsBRIEN wrote: RoboHendrix wrote: I hate being a kid of the 90s. The music is shit almost everywhere I tune in and now all the music that's actually worth listening to is getting pwnd by some wannabe... Hire a band and make your own damn music if you love rock so much. Lol. The 90s pretty much sucked as far as music goes.
    Tool. Radiohead. Nine Inch Nails. Primus. Porcupine Tree. Opeth. Every grunge band. Need I continue?
    =ALFA=Reset
    though I dont like rihanna or something, this article does make me curious... I mean come on... even the worst haters here will probably listen to the song, even if its just out of curiosity..
    Byker81
    Just found this - "The song which was written/produced by the Bajan beauty, The Dream, William Kennard and Saul Milton, as well as James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich from the 'Enter Sandman' rockers...."
    blacktoad
    "Hey i like this riff, who's Metallica, i think i'll go check out some of thier other music."
    ...really?
    boris6491
    I'm not sure why she has to rip off Metallica in the first place. This is my issue with these mainstream artists. Don't copy anybody else's music, try and use some of your own creativity and if you can't do that, don't make music.
    true_bacon22
    Holy **** this chick cannot just use her own shit, first she samples tainted love for SOS, then Bluw Monday for Drive then the ****ing Numa Numa now god damn Metallica!? FUCK RIHANNA!
    Kilimacory
    CaptinK'nuckles wrote: sam b wrote on 11/11/2011 - 10:47 am / quote | Rihanna is the shit Well, she certainly does inspire loose bowel movements among those with musical taste.
    also, this
    guitarmazdur
    Battman1993 wrote: Rhianna does actually like rock. Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme plays guitar for her live, but I do hate her music.
    YES I love Nuno, but honestly, Rhianna pisses me off. She apparently has a good taste in guitarists, but Nuno or no Nuno, her music is still made of lame.